Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most multiplayer MMO currently

Lord_AmraLord_Amra Member Posts: 8

Ok, seriously.

So the MMO genre has changed and morphed over time. I think many of us have gripes about how easy and simple most current games have become. I too miss the days when MMO meant multiplayer for a good chunk of the content and am a bit tired of the solo MMO attitude and lack of interest in grouping/multiplayer content.

I remember the days of waiting for enough people gathering in Moonbrook to run the Deadmines.

The general chat announcement of "seeking more for Freeing Dori" or "need Loremaster for Book7/Chapter 3".

The thrill of victory when a group successfully ran through a piece of content and the agony of defeat when a crappy pug fouled one up.

So my question is this: what current game has the most/best content of the classic MMO style that you have played? GW2 has group content, but it feels more like a swarm than a team. SWTOR has the heroic areas; WOW has the original dungeons, but it seems simplified and too easy with the LFG tool and speed and at which you level through.

Thoughts?

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Lord_Amra
    Ok, seriously.

So the MMO genre has changed and morphed over time. I think many of us have gripes about how easy and simple most current games have become. I too miss the days when MMO meant multiplayer for a good chunk of the content and am a bit tired of the solo MMO attitude and lack of interest in grouping/multiplayer content.

I remember the days of waiting for enough people gathering in Moonbrook to run the Deadmines.

The general chat announcement of "seeking more for Freeing Dori" or "need Loremaster for Book7/Chapter 3".

The thrill of victory when a group successfully ran through a piece of content and the agony of defeat when a crappy pug fouled one up.

So my question is this: what current game has the most/best content of the classic MMO style that you have played? GW2 has group content, but it feels more like a swarm than a team. SWTOR has the heroic areas; WOW has the original dungeons, but it seems simplified and too easy with the LFG tool and speed and at which you level through.

Thoughts?

EvE..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Darkfall, Vanguard, and Planetside 2.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    GW2 (try dungeons), LoL, EVE, or Vanguard.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I'm almost never alone when I play MMORPGs except when they first come out.
  • CefkaCefka Member Posts: 92

GW2 was the first MMO in a long time that made me feel like I was playing more than a single player grindy RPG with a built-in 4chan chat. Sadly it had other flaws.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Final Fantasy XI. Still has over 250,000 subs. Just released an expansion in March. Super game.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Eve

Other notables
    Ps2 - 6000 per server across 3 zones, no instances
    Darkfall
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol?

Huh?

How is lol massively multiplayer?

I get vanguard and gw2, but lol, huh? That's like saying Tf2 or something.
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I would have to say of the game I play EQ2 by far.  It has a group finder but it's so poorly implemented that no one uses it.  There is a lot of grouping requests in TSW as well.

1 to 95 in EQ2 is almost all solo though.  You really don't start grouping until you finish leveling just because of the games age.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Lol?

Huh?

How is lol massively multiplayer?

I get vanguard and gw2, but lol, huh? That's like saying Tf2 or something.

Yeah, some folks on this site get confused with some of the non-MMO titles that get mentioned. Riot Games themselves classify LOL as a MOBA.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb