Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Big Will The Game World Be At Launch?

Imperator101Imperator101 Member Posts: 131
I remember reading somewhere that there will be only 20 zones at launch, that is not big enough! World of Warcraft had more then 20 zones when that MMO launched, so should this one.

Comments

• jenseajensea Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Who cares how many zones there are? It's how big the zones are and what's in them that matters.
  • Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by jensea
    Who cares how many zones there are? It's how big the zones are and what's in them that matters.

QFT

Would rather just have one dynamic zone.

• Nightsong89Nightsong89 Member Posts: 48

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/regions/

There are:

- 7 zones specific to the Dominion

- 7 zones specific to the Exiles

- 9 zones contested that both the Dominon and Exiles will play in

What I mean by specific to a particular faction... Take Deradune for example, it's a Dominion zone (level 6-12 range) but Exile players who are creative can find a way to get into the zone.

So in total there are 23 zones at launch.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Solveig - Tiro of Terminus
  • RockyRocketsRockyRockets Member UncommonPosts: 70
    When do u guys think that this game will be released?
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by RockyRockets
    When do u guys think that this game will be released?

End 2013.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Ignoring the OP's crap comparison to WoW, to answer the question W* has about 400 square kilometers. From what I have seen from vids and write ups, the zones will have plenty of content to go with them. It may even feel like you're getting lost in content, if you're the type who tries to complete it all :)
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

So, let's take a single zone - Deradune. InnocentCivilian over on WSC did a very nice writeup of the zone from publically released information:

http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/an-explorers-guide-to-deradune.1679/

Have a look at the screenshots of Bloodfire Village. It's not a small area but that's just a small portion of the zone. Not to mention that WildStar zones are continuous, so if you keep running off into the horizon who know where you'll end up! Oh, and don't forget that Explorers can give access to an underground cave network in Deradune which has even more mobs/quests to find.

To date, I have really only run around Deradune for a few hours (Arkship and then PAX East) and I feel I have barely even seen half of that one zone and done even less of the content available through quests, discoveries, challenges, path missions, dynamics, etc.

Too small? I think not...

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• jenseajensea Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

So, let's take a single zone - Deradune. InnocentCivilian over on WSC did a very nice writeup of the zone from publically released information:

http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/an-explorers-guide-to-deradune.1679/

Have a look at the screenshots of Bloodfire Village. It's not a small area but that's just a small portion of the zone. Not to mention that WildStar zones are continuous, so if you keep running off into the horizon who know where you'll end up! Oh, and don't forget that Explorers can give access to an underground cave network in Deradune which has even more mobs/quests to find.

To date, I have really only run around Deradune for a few hours (Arkship and then PAX East) and I feel I have barely even seen half of that one zone and done even less of the content available through quests, discoveries, challenges, path missions, dynamics, etc.

Awesome post. Thank you!

• KaiserPhoenixKaiserPhoenix Member Posts: 59

size of the zones absolutely doesn't matter. wjat matters is the content in the zones.

Storm legion for instance ( rift expansion) has BIG zones, but wide empty areas and few story quests in them for the most part.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    How many zones did EQ have at launch I probably close to 23 , but they were absolutely huge zones with plenty to do, in fact some zones changed the mobs level according to the time of day, Kithcor forest anyone. The quantity of zones means nothing,  the quality of zones is what matters.

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

The more appropriate question is a more abstract one: how much meaningful content will there be?

Size does matter insofar as there is a maximum amount of content that can be squeezed into a finite space without things getting ridiculous, but a large game world is obviously no guarantee that the game world will have a large and diverse amount of content to experience.  The number of zones is basically irrelevant without a meaningful scale.  Vanilla WoW had 40 zones, but a game world in which the zones are the same size as three typical WoW zones would still be larger if it only had 20 of them, for example.

It's very difficult to get any real handle on size or amount of content until people have accessed most of what the game has to offer.  While the game is still in development, we see what the developer wants us to see, and a few zones should usually not automatically be taken as an indication of what the 80% of the game we won't see until near release is like.

In any case, there is one constant for every major MMO in development when it comes to the size of the game world: according to its fans, it will be huge (usually "much bigger than all of vanilla WoW") and packed with content.  ;-)

• Imperator101Imperator101 Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Saxonblade
    How many zones did EQ have at launch I probably close to 23 , but they were absolutely huge zones with plenty to do, in fact some zones changed the mobs level according to the time of day, Kithcor forest anyone. The quantity of zones means nothing,  the quality of zones is what matters.

EQ is now the largest MMORPG in existence, I might try it out one day, I really like big game worlds. Won't play it as much as WildStar though assuming I would like WildStar Online.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Imperator101
    Originally posted by Saxonblade

EQ is now the largest MMORPG in existence, I might try it out one day, I really like big game worlds. Won't play it as much as WildStar though assuming I would like WildStar Online.

lol I was looking at how many zones EQ had the other day, adventure zones, and there were close to 250.  I was like OMGGGGG.  And I think there are an absolutely insane amount of dungeons and raids too.

• MytobMytob Member Posts: 79
    I will quality of quantity every time. Just because there is a massive area dont mean it will be fun. If anything it will make the world feel empty. Just look how barren WoW feels!

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    From the vid clips i'd say the zones are going to be massive.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    For me, I need both quality and quantity.  While I enjoy plenty of content, I don't want to feel claustrophobic.  The bigger the better.  This was an issue with SWTOR, TSW, GW2, and now Neverwinter where the zones are too closed off and have linear paths from one area to the next.  I want to be able to walk an entire continent without a loading screen.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • If you want an example of a game that had far too few zones, look no further than TSW. Pathetic amount of zones/PvE content.
  • ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by Imperator101
    I remember reading somewhere that there will be only 20 zones at launch, that is not big enough! World of Warcraft had more then 20 zones when that MMO launched, so should this one.

my only concern would be which zones have the most probability of getting barren-chat syndrome.

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by Zap-Robo

Thank you for clarifying this for us. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE ( Cannot say this enough) That the zones are continuous. So what I see on the horizon I can actually go there ! The problem I had in other games was the zone sizes made me feel like a rat in a cage. Looking at those pics in the link you posted, clearly shows Wildstar is not like this at all. I think my hype meter just went up more after seeing and reading your post. :) I also really am loving the art direction of this game. 

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by Kenluina
    [mod edit]

I'm curious as to how you think this is exactly a WoW clone?  For example WoW doesn't even have player housing and Wildstar does.  Which looks absolutely brilliant imo. I could never understand why Blizz never added player housing into their game.I think the Carbine developers have done an amazing job with their mix of magic and sci-fi.

I might be wrong here, but isn't there quite a few ex Blizzard employees working on Wildstar? Naturally you would get some of that "WoW" influence into the game. But I recall reading they want to make it "Anything but WoW". I think they've got their own unique thing going on here. I'm certainly looking forward to this one.

Good luck Carbine!

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

Yes the Carbine team has 17 former Blizzard employees. Notable Kevin Beardslee was one of the lead designers of WoW. Tim Cain who was lead designer of Fallout. Jeremy Gaffney worked as executive producer on City of Heroes. He was also a co-founder of Turbine, Inc., where he spearheaded development on Asheron's Call.

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time