Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would "gold battlecruisers" bring more casual players to eve ?

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by apanz3r
    Originally posted by sacredfool

Originally posted by shingoukieh

Almost nothing will bring new players to EvE...EvE is too slow paced for the casual gamer to pay to play. 

Only thing that would bring new players to eve is possibly if you could manually control the spaceship using WASDQE....on top of that make them move faster than they do now....doing that would make it more like a arcadey type game..so casuals would come for a little while at least

Have you considered that there are casual new people who actually just don't know they want to play EVE as it is now? :)

If eve don;t bring new blood it will eventually die.

The learning curve is to step for too little reward at least at beginning.

That's why EVE hasn't been growing for the past decade..../sarcasm.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555

Current sub trend says that is not a current problem.

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Dihoru

mwd_off? why do you think one of the meds is filled with a cap booster dude? that's booster not regen.

dude, now i understand that you are a care bear that is afraid that will remain without work and a not a pvp-er

Let me explain it to you:

in brutix you will have to come to 2000 to do any damage. You will get webs scramblers and neuts on you.

Your med injector does not count because your mwd will be disabled by the scrambler.  If you have an afterburner fit probably you will die even before you get in your optimal and anyway 10 heavy neuts will  make a short work of your energy. Even if somehow you manage to not die to battleships then 50 heavy drones will make short work of you.

The battleships will have for sure sensor busters in case you make any plan  to increase their targeting speed.  If you decrease their tracking speed is almost irrelevant due to drone neuts webs and jammers.

Originally posted by Dihoru

Almost nothing will bring new players to EvE...EvE is too slow paced for the casual gamer to pay to play. 

Only thing that would bring new players to eve is possibly if you could manually control the spaceship using WASDQE....on top of that make them move faster than they do now....doing that would make it more like a arcadey type game..so casuals would come for a little while at least

Have you considered that there are casual new people who actually just don't know they want to play EVE as it is now? :)

yeah not like everybody and his dog have 2-3-4 alts for farming, cyno etc.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

Dihoru, just quit arguing with the guy. It's very obvious he has no actual experience with EVE PvP. His posts have been good for a laugh though, so I'll give him some credit there.

I'll also say that if anyone isn't willing to put in the 1 or 2 play sessions per week needed to maintain a few PvP ships, then quite frankly EVE is not the game for them. ISK is incredibly easy to make in this game, and there are scores of ways to do it as well.

I hate to say it, but EVE just isn't a game for super casual players, or players who want instant gratification. If you want that, go play STO (which is a decent game in its own right).

One last thing: The reason PvP in EVE can be so thrilling is because of what's at stake. Take that away, and it's really not all that good.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I'm not seeing the benefit of such an offer. It does a complete disservice to that player and doesn't offer anything to the actual gameplay of EVE.

"I would love to return to eve if they would have gold batlecruisers - battlecruisers that spawn in your station like noob ships(with some time restrictions like 1 per hours or so)."

Would that bring more casuals into EVE? Possibly.

Would that keep them in EVE or in any way prepare them for the gameplay of EVE? I highly doubt it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Dihoru

mwd_off? why do you think one of the meds is filled with a cap booster dude? that's booster not regen.

dude, now i understand that you are a care bear that is afraid that will remain without work and a not a pvp-er

in brutix you will have to come to 2000 to do any damage. You will get webs scramblers and neuts on you.

Your med injector does not count because your mwd will be disabled by the scrambler.  If you have an afterburner fit probably you will die even before you get in your optimal and anyway 10 heavy neuts will  make a short work of your energy. Even if somehow you manage to not die to battleships then 50 heavy drones will make short work of you.

The battleships will have for sure sensor busters in case you make any plan  to increase their targeting speed.  If you decrease their tracking speed is almost irrelevant due to drone neuts webs and jammers.

Dude are you even registering what the bloody christ you're saying? an RR fleet with all that? One moment you're on a gate, the next you're acting like you dictate jack shit, it sounds to me like you're making this crap up in which case 10x naga snipe fleet, keep your ass at range and pummel you from 100+ km away. Done.

We discussed 10 RR bses vs 10 brutixes. You said brutixes will beat the rr bses.

Yes ?

Brutixes dies badly in this case. Stop speaking like you know what are you speaking about.

A rr bs can fit a neut,

sensor booster, scrambler ,mwd, injector

some will have scramblers some will have web  some will have enough meds to fit all.

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I do not have as much free time in eve as I used to but even when I did have time I decided to spend that time doing the thing I love pvp so once every couple of months I sacrifice one hours real world money to give me working capital in game, although I loose so few ships these days.

EVE economy is almost completely player driven and is monitored by some of the smartest people you will ever meet, in eve which has an economy more stable than the real world economy, equate a free ship to a small country getting hold of a money printing press and see what happens.

I do understand where you are coming from but one of the biggest draws of pvp is you are putting your isk, your ship, your modules you bought on the line.

As for all pvp in eve being about ganking, went out on a fleet on friday we fought 2 different fleets and we were outnumbered but still had a great time.

http://amok.killmail.org/?a=pilot_detail&view=kills&plt_id=12156&m=5&y=2013

Quebber is my main in 20+ minutes 3-4 pages of km's 

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Too much nonsense in this thread, while the solutions were allready given...

Either buy a PLEX and sell it for 1bil ISK, which pretty much solves your financial problems to buy some ships for PvP. That's around $2 for a fully T2-fit BC or $1 for a fully T2-fit cruiser.

The other solution is to fly some two or three high-reward LvL4 missions (1-2 hours) every day to make the money you need for some 4-5 fully T2-fit BCs or 10 fully T2-fit cruisers per week.

Making money in EvE is allready so ridiculously easy and fast to make up for your PvP-ships, that there's nothing even more easier needed.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    When you join the game through a 21 day sponsored trial, and someone splits the plex money with you, thats 150 mil to start with.  Frigs cost like a couple thousand and battlecruisers are reasonably priced depending on your fitting.  150 mil to start the game with for someone who's never played, let that sink in.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Dude your really misinformed, or just a rage quit player.  EVE has only gone up in subs.  Never seen a quarterly drop. They recently announced 500k+ subs.  As for "its too hard" thats how the game was designed, and they won't change it because then the game will actually die.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    Originally posted by AreWeLive

As for the free ships in FW, there are lots of corps out there that do give free frigs to their members...maybe you should find one of them and this silly free ships for FW pilots would be over.

I am sorry but really this whole freedium BS is getting to me, ppl seem to think every game needs to implement this or part of it. It really is to much. Some games do fine and are ment to not use this freedium model, eve-online is one of them. Eve offers lots of ways to get things for free and even play the game for free, it is up to the player to figure out how to do it.

no. it's not a matter of frigs. it's a matter of cruisers and bcs. these are ships that can be very expensive to buy and fit, especially for new players, and providing an area where they can get used to flying them in PvP, handling them, their tactics, etc. is something which EvE utterly lacks. bcs don't fly like frigs, and you don't fly or fit in PvP like you do in PvE. the ability to experiment and gain experience with different fits or ship categories in a low-risk environment would be a fantastic addition to EvE.

and heck, this sort of training environment is even provided in real life, yet EvE, in this way, is trying to be more hardcore than real life. i would ask you to reread my posts to get a clearer idea of what i'm proposing if you haven't already. the ships i recommend would have a negligible effect on FW due to their power (or rather lack thereof).

i agree though. freemium or f2p is not a suitable model for EvE. what EvE desperately needs though is a way for pilots to get used to handling different categories of ships

Play on the test server if you want cheap ships to experiment with.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by hfztt

Free ships and player driven economy dont mix.

Free ships and feeling of real loss dont mix.

It is as simple as that.

Please back your answer with a projection.

Look at this scenario where free ships increase eve player base with 20% and increases PVP with 50% where only 20-30% are free ships.

Why would you fly free ships? Be course you die a lot. Why would you fly ship you pay for?  Be course you dont die a lot.

So that 50% inclrease in PvP would mainly be free ship loses...

Suicide ganks? Free ships...

Lol roams? Free ships...

Standard fleet ships? Free ships...

In short: It wont lead to an increase in demand for player build ships. Not by a long shot.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by Antiquated

Is EVE seeking casual players?

If so, why?

More Players to slave out... More Players to Scam... more Players to Suicide Gank... more Players to Hunt...

tldr; More Victims. All PvP MMOs need fresh meat. That's how PvP really works. The Strong feed off of the Weak. The Casuals are perfect.

/sarcasm off

Exactly. I would not be afraid to engage because of loosing ship unless i am 99% sure that i win.

With a "free" ship i would undock even for 20% chance to win.

We would both get a fight and one of us will get a KM.

How is this worse than no fight and no km ?

The difference is for the guy you are fighting. He is out to harvest your sweet tears for your loss. If you are in a free ship, he cant harvest tears, and he looses his reason to gank you in the first place.

That is how EVE works. It is not about e-peen, its about sweet tears.

Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by Antiquated

Is EVE seeking casual players?

If so, why?

More Players to slave out... More Players to Scam... more Players to Suicide Gank... more Players to Hunt...

tldr; More Victims. All PvP MMOs need fresh meat. That's how PvP really works. The Strong feed off of the Weak. The Casuals are perfect.

/sarcasm off

Exactly. I would not be afraid to engage because of loosing ship unless i am 99% sure that i win.

With a "free" ship i would undock even for 20% chance to win.

We would both get a fight and one of us will get a KM.

How is this worse than no fight and no km ?

The difference is for the guy you are fighting. He is out to harvest your sweet tears for your loss. If you are in a free ship, he cant harvest tears, and he looses his reason to gank you in the first place.

That is how EVE works. It is not about e-peen, its about sweet tears.

This can be true for the pvp in lowsec or maybe for new players . The maxmimum i got pissed off after loosing a ships was logging out. If it was a good fight I don;t even mind loosing a ship.

At some point in my life i was ganking new players in low sec. After killing one i was usually feeling bad enough to give money to replace his cruiser or frigate.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by Yalexy
    Destroying the EvE-economy 101.

A fully T2-fit battlecruiser costs some laughable 50mil (without insurance) and you can make that amount of money within two hours of casually flying LvL4 missions in highsec.
    Take insurance into account and you're down to some 30mil ISK.

So within three days of casual two hours spent in LvL4 missions gives you four fully fit battlecruisers for the rest of the week. It can't be anymore easy than this actually.

On another note... cruisers like the Thorax, Vexor or Rupture are way better for casual roaming and these cost only some 15mil fully T2-fitted (without insurance), so with the above example of flying LvL4-missions you can get allmost 10 of them to throw away in PvP.

PvP and roaming through low/0.0 in T1 cruisers is the most enjoyable PvP in EvE anyways. It's a lesson learned during seven years of 0.0-warfare.
    Even more enoyable is roaming through low/0.0 with a small group (less than 10) of hardhitting inteceptors like the 'ranis, which are not really that much more expensive than a Thorax.

that dont really works when your clone is x2 time that amount (no implants)

BestSigEver :P

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

When my time to play eve reduced due to job and family i had no other solution than to stop play eve because the logistic required to make/mantain a hangar filled with ships ready to fight was too much.

I switched to World of Tanks because it was more friendly to casual players.

I would love to return to eve if they would have gold batlecruisers - battlecruisers that spawn in your station like noob ships(with some time restrictions like 1 per hours or so). 

I don't know your background in EVE, nor your skills or money making skills, but if you are doing PVP in a reasonable alliance/corp which has a good income, you shouldnt be worried with ships.

My alliance for example reimburses the ships I lose in CTA's and other official alliance ops, not for casual roams or pvp on own initiative, but they do for alliance ops like I said, from battlecruisers up to titans.

(smaller ships are earned in matter of minutes in any 0.0 belt or anomaly)

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Dude your really misinformed, or just a rage quit player.  EVE has only gone up in subs.  Never seen a quarterly drop. They recently announced 500k+ subs.  As for "its too hard" thats how the game was designed, and they won't change it because then the game will actually die.  

good news

It is as simple as that.

Look at this scenario where free ships increase eve player base with 20% and increases PVP with 50% where only 20-30% are free ships.

Why would you fly free ships? Be course you die a lot. Why would you fly ship you pay for?  Be course you dont die a lot.

Lol roams? Free ships...

In short: It wont lead to an increase in demand for player build ships. Not by a long shot.

>>Suicide ganks? Free ships... -> no point of taking a sec status  hit in a free ship while a t1 fitted bs costs almost 0. the sec status loss is the main issue

>>Lol roams? Free ships... -> what's wrong with that. more pew pew will happen. a decent battle cruiser gang can take on many things, (sometime with heavy loses.) So beside the the free ships lost builded ships will be lost too.

>>Why would you fly free ships? Be course you die a lot. Why would you fly ship you pay for?  Be course you dont die a lot.

>>In short: It wont lead to an increase in demand for player build ships. Not by a long shot.

Why not ? those free ships would also make kills

How many docked ships do you kill ?

How many non blobing fights do you have ?

and in the end what's going to be the economy impact ?

they will compete directly against normal batlecruisers production  There is hardly any money to make in batlecruiser business.

I owned all batlecruisers bpo and build them just for convenience in 0.0. The cost of minerals is pretty much the same as the cost of the built ship.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Handing out freebee newb battlecruisers is a bad thing for EVE, indeed. They won't do that as the economy is 99% player run and the only ships that should be handed out are collector's rewards or ships that are worth 0.

And even those get 'abused' as cyno ships lol.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Dihoru

Dude are you even registering what the bloody christ you're saying? an RR fleet with all that? One moment you're on a gate, the next you're acting like you dictate jack shit, it sounds to me like you're making this crap up in which case 10x naga snipe fleet, keep your ass at range and pummel you from 100+ km away. Done.

We discussed 10 RR bses vs 10 brutixes. You said brutixes will beat the rr bses.

Yes ?

Brutixes dies badly in this case. Stop speaking like you know what are you speaking about.

A rr bs can fit a neut,

sensor booster, scrambler ,mwd, injector

some will have scramblers some will have web  some will have enough meds to fit all.

And I am sure in your world they can also fit a doomsday, go home dude.

Go learn play eve noob. I quit eve for years but i  still remember.

4 mids:

half bsses have injector- mwd -scrambler/point - sensor booster

other half have injector-mwd-web-sensor booster

high 1 rr, 1 neut rest weapons

XD right, please stop it you're killing me, not even an old timer who hasn't played since the 2nd great war wouldn't claim such absurdities.

Please leave this thread. Your point have been noted, now please let us stay on topic.

What topic is there to discuss? Free ships beyond free rookie ships will never happen as a game feature, get it through your head, if you want a game like that there are plenty out there and more coming... christ X Rebirth is on the horizon as well and I can't really imagine that won't have some sort of MP capabilities.

It is as simple as that.

Lol roams? Free ships...

>>Suicide ganks? Free ships... -> no point of taking a sec status  hit in a free ship while a t1 fitted bs costs almost 0. the sec status loss is the main issue

>>Lol roams? Free ships... -> what's wrong with that. more pew pew will happen. a decent battle cruiser gang can take on many things, (sometime with heavy loses.) So beside the the free ships lost builded ships will be lost too.

>>Why would you fly free ships? Be course you die a lot. Why would you fly ship you pay for?  Be course you dont die a lot.

>>In short: It wont lead to an increase in demand for player build ships. Not by a long shot.

Why not ? those free ships would also make kills

How many docked ships do you kill ?

How many non blobing fights do you have ?

Excluding gank situations why would anyone PVP in anything but a free battlecruiser? Either you've not played EVE in a looooong time or you've never played it period because you don't know basic 0.0 mentality (if it is cost effective for its punch BLOB IT!, history of this includes rifters, drakes and hellcat anti-drake fits).

dude go make your thread explain how you kill rr bses in brutixes and stop posting offtopic here. I will start asking moderators to delete your posts in this thread.

Considering you're becoming belligerent and not presenting any concrete arguments to support your idea do try that, it'll just get the thread locked like it should be (hint: check your own poll, I doubt all those no's are from EVE players).

To reiterate: Your idea is at best disruptive to the game's existing metagame and economy in a negative way, the free battlecruiser (or whichever hull you'd pick) would either have to be competitive with existing hulls which will cause a shitstorm in 0.0 or it will be worse than all other battlecruiser hulls in which case they will not be used for anything and their very existence would be pointless (as anyone would point out to someone fitting a free battlecruiser in that situation that it would not be worth the fittings).

Also your idea that you cannot turn a profit manufacturing battlecruisers is to put it quite bluntly wrong as well, as long as you do not make it your main occupation and your main one supplies modules for reprocessing in bulk (such as level 4 missions do) then you can have a 100% profit spurt from time to time and before you even ask: The price of minerals may roughly equal the price of the hull but the hull is, last time I checked the maths, smaller than the volume of minerals it is made from.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

In a game that considers the player driven economy a strong point, I'm a bit skeptical of the original post. The main reasons that cross my mind have already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate them: the game has player driven economy and this service is already provided by player corps.

The first point could be argued. By this, i mean that depending on how optimistic you are, you might be able to project that player crafted module sales would increase and that players would more readily engage in PvP and escalate to player created ships when they wanted more 'power'. This is all speculation, much like the counter that sales of ships would drop. However, it seems that historically, if a lower risk method were available to people, they would take it and thus I would tend to side with the idea that this would be harmful to the economy.

Another thing that history has tended to show is that if there is a loophole, it will be exploited. If these ships can fit anything besides 'civilian' modules (thus negating any module sale increase), then I'd imagine they would have to be salvageable. If so, I'd imagine you would see on an hourly (or 2, or 'x' respawn interval) mass self-destruct/mutual destruction followed by a rapid salvage. What would the impact be for non-PvP activities (such as mining) with this new source of materials. Maybe not much, but still seems to run counter to the reasons I joined the game at least.

To the second point: I've been mostly in small corps and, even then, mostly high-sec. I've spent a fair amount of time under wardec and my corps have always offered to replace any losses. Maybe I'm just extremely lucky with the corps I joined and 'reimbursement policies' are harder to come by for others. I can only speak from my experience so your mileage may vary.

All in all, there is a place for an idea like this. I just don't think it is in EvE. This game has targeted its niche and managed a remarkable lifespan while other games have been developed and disappeared or gone to life support. I'm not saying there is no room for improvement because obviously there is always something that could be done better. I just don't think this idea, at least as I see it at this time, would be an improvement.

I hope that you can still find enjoyment in EvE without the 'gold battlecruisers', but if not, best of luck with the games you've backed. While I don't see anything that would pull me from EvE, it is nice to see more development in sci-fi/spaceships. :)

edit: Looking at my response, I didn't really answer the question that subject asked. So, yes, free ships would likely add more casual players and produce a short term spike in subs, however, for a game with a negligible 'box price', I'd be more concerned about retention and player churn. I can't begin to predict what could be expected except to say I don't think the net results would be positive and feel the longevity of the game would suffer. Again though, that's just my opinion.

edit: for the typos!

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by cosy
    Originally posted by Yalexy
    Destroying the EvE-economy 101.A fully T2-fit battlecruiser costs some laughable 50mil (without insurance) and you can make that amount of money within two hours of casually flying LvL4 missions in highsec.
    Take insurance into account and you're down to some 30mil ISK.
    So within three days of casual two hours spent in LvL4 missions gives you four fully fit battlecruisers for the rest of the week. It can't be anymore easy than this actually.On another note... cruisers like the Thorax, Vexor or Rupture are way better for casual roaming and these cost only some 15mil fully T2-fitted (without insurance), so with the above example of flying LvL4-missions you can get allmost 10 of them to throw away in PvP.PvP and roaming through low/0.0 in T1 cruisers is the most enjoyable PvP in EvE anyways. It's a lesson learned during seven years of 0.0-warfare.
    Even more enoyable is roaming through low/0.0 with a small group (less than 10) of hardhitting inteceptors like the 'ranis, which are not really that much more expensive than a Thorax.
    that dont really works when your clone is x2 time that amount (no implants)

Usually I'm not getting podded when roaming. Might be some luck on my side tho.

I know what you're talking about however with two chars 120+mil SP. I don't fly around with any implants anymore tho, besides my high-sec mission-running clone.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

When my time to play eve reduced due to job and family i had no other solution than to stop play eve because the logistic required to make/mantain a hangar filled with ships ready to fight was too much.

I switched to World of Tanks because it was more friendly to casual players.

I would love to return to eve if they would have gold batlecruisers - battlecruisers that spawn in your station like noob ships(with some time restrictions like 1 per hours or so). 

Most large alliances operate ship replacement programs. If you lose a ship, they'll replace it (or at least give you ISK) as long as it was doctrine fitted and on an alliance op.

Your idea would crush everything that makes EVE EVE. Play on SiSi if you want consequence and meaning-free PvP; quite a few people do.

Give me liberty or give me lasers