Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Hardware Review] General: The Sapphire AMD 7870 HD Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

One of the most important pieces of hardware for any gamer is the vaunted video card. In our latest hardware review, we take a look at the Sapphire AMD 7870 HD and give you our verdict. See if you agree before heading to the comments.

Today we're going to take a look at the Radeon HD 7870 OC Edition provided to us by Sapphire to MMORPG.  I'm going to give you a general overview of the card, a few FPS stats from runs I conducted with Tera, Planetside 2, and Mechwarrior, and my final opinion on if this piece of hardware is worth looking at when you are deciding on a new video card for your system.  So we’re not going to get too technical, but you should get a good idea on what you're getting when you purchase Sapphire’s OC version of the AMD 7870HD.

Read more of Arden Bartlett's The Sapphire AMD 7870 HD Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bobm111bobm111 Member Posts: 153

just bought a new computer with this card. Did the ffxiv benchmark on higest settings on everything ran great and should have no problems with ffxiv..

bobm111

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Even the 7750 and 7770 are good bargin cards. I just upgraded from the 7770 and was amazed how good the low end cards are now.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Hard to say that is a medium range graphics card when it would blow away most graphics cards from a year ago.  When playing MMO's the cpu is not as important as the graphic card.  So your system with that graphic card can play just about any game existing on high settings.  Hardware is rapidly outpacing software these days.  That will change of course as some of these newer development engines come out, but most of the games today were designed around what was high end four years ago.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Hard to say that is a medium range graphics card when it would blow away most graphics cards from a year ago.  When playing MMO's the cpu is not as important as the graphic card.  So your system with that graphic card can play just about any game existing on high settings.  Hardware is rapidly outpacing software these days.  That will change of course as some of these newer development engines come out, but most of the games today were designed around what was high end four years ago.

Agreed, once the next gen consoles come out we are going to see a lot of hardware taxing games. That's why I'm working on getting myself a new computer this year. My 560ti just ain't cutting it anymore.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    No mention of the resolution used pretty much negates the whole review. The results also seem off, both the average and max frame rates for those games should have been higher if assuming 1920x1080 res as even a 7850 performs a bit better than that in those ones.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

This is why you can't review one video card in isolation and expect meaningful results.  The proper question is not just how does this card perform, but how does it perform relative to the competition at the same settings.

It's also not clear what "everything turned to 11" means.  Does that mean you turned on 8x SSAA in Catalyst Control Center?  Set some main in-game slider to maximum without looking at detailed settings?  Good reviews usually give a lot more detail than that--and in particular, make sure that they mention the driver version used.

I also rather doubt that the memory was running at 12000 MHz.  1.2 GHz is the stock speed for a Radeon HD 7870.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by Kabaal
    No mention of the resolution used pretty much negates the whole review. The results also seem off, both the average and max frame rates for those games should have been higher if assuming 1920x1080 res as even a 7850 performs a bit better than that in those ones.

He did mention that the games are running at 1080. Also while his phrasing of turn up to 11 may not be accurate I would presume it means set in game to max detail. As for his frame rates, look at the system used, a Phenom II 945 is not exactly a higher speed chip.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I'm a little confused.. why is an older card getting a review?

The 7970 been out for longer than a year, is dropping to affordable prices, and the new(but vastly overpriced) 7990 is out...

Why the writeup on a card that has to be at least 3 years old now?

Hmm ok i take that back, the two are less than 1 month apart from each other... confusing...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

The 7970 been out for longer than a year, is dropping to affordable prices, and the new(but vastly overpriced) 7990 is out...

Hmm ok i take that back, the two are less than 1 month apart from each other... confusing...

its not 7970 and 7870 launched at the same time.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Sapphire provided MMORPG a card. Nice

You guys do a little write up on it. Nice

Too bad it has absolutely no technical relevance. 

Granted, MMORPG doesn't necessarily have the experience or the depth to do a technically relevant review: you have one card, in isolation, and you can't really do much with it except play a few games and say "Yup, they work fine".

However, if you wanted to start a basis for relevence, you'd leave out all the "It plays great" subjective comments; because those are exactly that: subjective. You list out all the facts: This is the driver we used. These are the game settings we used. This is the other hardware in the computer. These are the results we got. 

Leave it to the reader to draw conclusions as to if it's great or not - one person may think 30FPS average is fine, another may scoff at anything less than a solid 60FPS minimum. 

And then, when you get that next toy to review, you have a valid basis for comparison, not just some subjective junk that almost reads like a shill-piece.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I looked at newegg for comparable 7870 cards (only not anything that specifically said it was factory OC'd).  They are all Gigahertz editions.  What does that mean?  Are all 7870s an OC version of another card?  How does this card compare to them?  Do all AMD cards of the same model compare to each other unlike Nvidia where two named models can vary by quite a bit?

Here is a page of 550W p/s and a 600W p/s that seemed reasonable and are 80+ Gold (I chose this level because Quizz chastised me once for trying to cheap out on the p/s).  I didn't choose the 80+ Platinum because I don't know if they are worth the extra price increase.  Of all those on the page this 600W FSP seemed like a good deal as it specifically mentioned core i7 compatibility.  But again, it's hard to tell for the average person like myself which one fits my system (for example what is the difference between a 24pin and a 20+4pin and how would one tell which to get).

There aren't any non-GHz Edition 7870s.  Putting "GHz Edition" on the end is just a stupid name that the marketing department came up with.  It was basically a way of saying, "We have cards with a stock clock speed of 1 GHz and Nvidia doesn't".  This was basically because AMD launched cards on TSMC's 28 nm process node first; some Nvidia cards on the same process node also had a stock clock speed of 1 GHz or better.  But you shouldn't care about a GPU clock speed for its own sake, but only how the card performs.

The "GHz Edition" moniker is only meaningful for a Radeon HD 7970, which has both GHz Edition and non-GHz cards.  I'd interpret that as AMD saying, "We meant for the 7970 to have a stock clock speed of 1 GHz, but yields weren't good enough."  As the process node matured and yields improved, they eventually launched a Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition based on the same die.

-----

Don't get too caught up in the different tiers of 80 PLUS certification.  Better tiers only denote higher energy efficiency and nothing else.  Some Platinum certified power supplies have excellent energy efficiency and are otherwise not very good--to the degree that I'd rather have, say, a Bronze-certified Corsair TX650 V2 with lesser energy efficiency but pretty good everything else.

Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

Tech sites typically review the hardware that manufacturers are willing to send them for free.

There are two basic types of video card reviews.  First is the launch day reviews, where AMD or Nvidia will send cards to a bunch of sites at once and say, you can't publish anything before this time on this day.  Those reviews are mostly about how the new card performs relative to older cards, how much power it uses, and how much it costs.

Second is later reviews of a particular SKU of a card.  That's what this review is.  Sapphire or EVGA or Asus or whoever will send a particular card to various sites to review it.  This uses the same GPU chip as the launch day reviews, so performance is largely known in advance, though sometimes newer video drivers or a factory overclock can improve performance somewhat.

Rather, later reviews of a video card are more about temperatures, noise, build quality, power consumption, and overclockability.  There are a bunch of Radeon HD 7870s, for example, and at the same clock speeds, they'll all perform the same.  But some will run hotter or noisier than others, and a review of a particular SKU can give some guidance on which are better than which others.

I think that the real reason that Sapphire sent a card in to be reviewed is hoping that someone will see a Sapphire version of a Radeon HD 7870 and think it's a good card and buy it not realizing that you could get a HIS or MSI or Gigabyte version of a 7870 that performs exactly the same--and might happen to be cheaper that day.  AMD doesn't care which brand you buy (so long as it's AMD rather than Nvidia), but Sapphire, XFX, and so forth sure do.

Unfortunately, this site doesn't have anyone on staff with the hardware knowledge and experience to do a worthwhile review.  From Sapphire's perspective, that might be fine; sending cards out for review is a marketing expense to them.  But from the perspective of a reader who wants to know what video card to buy, there are better reviews out there.  There are a lot of sites that will run a bunch of different cards through various benchmarks and let you compare them.  Hard OCP and Tech Report have unique methods that give you useful data that other sites just getting benchmark numbers tend not to, but you have to know how to read the data they're giving you.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    I don't have a clue what anybody is talking about!......................./backs away and walks slowly from the room..................................................................................................../comes back because he forgot his keys............................../backs away slowly again.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    ATI needs all the help they can get!

• BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66
    Anyone else think Quizzical should have written this?

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

perfomance is a good and important thing, but if you add drivers software too?

ATI or NVIDIA makes you ''feel'' more comfortable?

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Lol, there sure are some angry people in this thread. They were given the card and probably agreed to give the card a quick mention, it is what it is. You don't look to mmorpg.com for advice on buying graphic cards lol.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Lol, there sure are some angry people in this thread. They were given the card and probably agreed to give the card a quick mention, it is what it is. You don't look to mmorpg.com for advice on buying graphic cards lol.

This^

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

I'm waiting to see what happens with this:-

http://developer.amd.com/resources/heterogeneous-computing/what-is-heterogeneous-system-architecture-hsa/

From what I read the Playstion 4 is using this technology and when it comes to gaming PC's they are going to be cheaper and very fast for gaming compared to the tech we have today.

So I will wait a year and see what happens before I upgrade.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Blessings
    Anyone else think Quizzical should have written this?

Lol. I was about to write this.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Epicent
    Originally posted by Blessings
    Anyo;ne else think Quizzical should have written this?

Lol. I was about to write this.

yup me too :D

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66

Pretty fuckin' late... review.

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Not to mention my 5850 still performs well enough to run every game out at the market right now with medium settings. Usually the games run smoothly at 60fps with vsync on and drop to around 30-45 during heavy load. (GW2 being the only exception here, massive zergfest can knee the FPS all the way down to ~10)

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    My 7870 runs many games on full max settings with some exceptions like metro 2320 and a couple of others which I "have" to play on high instead of max, but overall this card is fantastic
  • Sys7emSys7em Member UncommonPosts: 120

I picked up a HIS 7870 on black friday 2012 for $190 on newegg.

I've really been enjoying this card.

Quizzical helped me decide which video card to buy :)