Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would "gold battlecruisers" bring more casual players to eve ?

Comments

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by apanz3r
    I am not drug-addicted to eve.

There's the truth we all were waiting for.  Why didn't you just admit you had no interest in EVE?

wait what?

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Originally posted by pyrofreak
    Originally posted by AreWeLive

Join a faction warfare corp, do incursions and plex's, plenty of ISK right there to go out and pvp with.  

...assuming you have the time to join in their scheduled fleets. what about solo pilots though? they're out in the cold unless they want to take the massive financial risk involved in cold joining PvP.

I can only understand that if you don't even have enough time to join a corporation.

You don't have to be solo - join a corporation with frequent roams and enough people to support that.  If you log in for a bit, you should be able to find one.

It's not good to force yourself to play alone in a Massively Multiplayer game that is specifically praised for player interaction.  That isn't the fault of a lack of training in PVP at all.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Buy PLEX with real money.

Sell PLEX for ISK.

Buy anything in game with ISK.

So this is already in the game, what's the point of this thread?

Good point. But i would pay hundreds of $ per month to pvp. Either is something affordable and convenient or i will keep giving money to other games.

A billion isk is a lot of pvp rifters.

What exactly are you asking for here considering what you want is already possible?  I mean, do you want free ships and the game to be an arena style combat sim?

Well eve is already an arena. Just a big one.

So in this respect yes, i would want free ships to pvp. Not the best ones, some middle class.

I don;t want to NEED to have 2-3 alts to do anything in eve. I want 1 account, extra fee for gold ships or maybe some special insurance. And i want to pvp not so spin ship or to boring stuff like running mission over and over again. In which the only challenge is how fast you can make them.

"Star Conflict" + google = your game. /thread

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Thank you for the link .

You're welcome, look at the video before you go though ;) thems some 7 mil cruisers (there are solo fits for em as well and they face rape most battlecruiser, battleships and some cruisers in pvp situations).

• treelotreelo Member Posts: 70

Free ships wouldn't solve anything, only create more problems.

It certainly wouldn't bring in more players, who are mostly put off by the insane learning curve, "dull" gameplay mechanics, and/or setting.

It wouldn't stop ganking, quite the opposite in fact.  A steady stream of clueless pilots venturing into unsafe territory is only going to increase the number of kills and make gate-camping more worthwhile.

In turn, this would ruin any chance of the aforementioned players advancing beyond the safety of hi-sec as incessant losses on their first steps into PvP are only going to discourage them in the long run.

PvP without consequence is meaningless.  Doubly so in a game intently focused upon the consequences of your actions.  Free ships only benefits the victor, which in this case will most likely be the person who paid for their ship and already has the experience necessary to operate in lo/null-sec.

As others have mentioned, there are a host of corps who offer free ships to new players learning the ropes.  There is nothing to be gained from artificially creating an already player-run system in a sandbox.

The only way you can hope to encourage casual players is to offer a casual play-style.  Doing so would destroy much of what CCP have achieved with EVE, alienating their core player base in the process.  There are already casual friendly options available in EVE, it's called PvE and is a largely monotonous affair.  Offering more variety there would be a positive step forward in encouraging more casual players. 

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by sacredfool

Oooh and.... if you have limited funds, why not fly something you can afford? a well fitted frig is 5 million or so and not too bad in PvP. You can get 10 frigs per hour doing some PvP. 

Originally posted by apanz3r.

Can i be blamed that I just want to pvp ?

The thing that makes EVEs PvP so gratifying is the risk of losing a ship that has some cost assigned to it. If there no cost assigned then EVE would be pretty darn boring

Fair enough. Please name a single ship that you can kill in frig in 0.0. I think even an Iteron will kill you.

There will be always better ships in eve.  10 gang battleships will face melt 10gang battle cruisers.

One more example: do you kill ibis if you have the chance ?

A mining frigate legit killed a battleship.

What do you even want?

[mod edit]

really ? how do you beat with a 10 batlecruisers gang a rr 10 batleship group . Please enlight me.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

There's the truth we all were waiting for.  Why didn't you just admit you had no interest in EVE?

wait what?

His other posts not in this thread weer along the same lines - new space games (that he likely backed on kickstarter) are going to be the end of EVE and whatever.  This was a roundabout thread of him saying the same thing in the end.

The notion that it costs thousands of dollars to PVP in EVE is of course only someone trolling by using an entire thread about EVE to mention the desire for other space games could come up with.

Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Originally posted by pyrofreak

Join a faction warfare corp, do incursions and plex's, plenty of ISK right there to go out and pvp with.  

...assuming you have the time to join in their scheduled fleets. what about solo pilots though? they're out in the cold unless they want to take the massive financial risk involved in cold joining PvP.

I can only understand that if you don't even have enough time to join a corporation.

You don't have to be solo - join a corporation with frequent roams and enough people to support that.  If you log in for a bit, you should be able to find one.

It's not good to force yourself to play alone in a Massively Multiplayer game that is specifically praised for player interaction.  That isn't the fault of a lack of training in PVP at all.

i don't force myself to, i am forced to.

which reminds me that i have a paper due and that this thread has gotten way off topic. in conclusion: all i'm saying is that EvE should be more friendly to solo PvP newbs. wouldn't take that much either.

thank you for being mature and level-headed, kadepsyson.

wait what?

His other posts not in this thread weer along the same lines - new space games (that he likely backed on kickstarter) are going to be the end of EVE and whatever.  This was a roundabout thread of him saying the same thing in the end.

The notion that it costs thousands of dollars to PVP in EVE is of course only someone trolling by using an entire thread about EVE to mention the desire for other space games could come up with.

ah. that little exchange above just seemed... weird out of context. lol

Sell PLEX for ISK.

Good point. But i would pay hundreds of $ per month to pvp. Either is something affordable and convenient or i will keep giving money to other games.

What exactly are you asking for here considering what you want is already possible?  I mean, do you want free ships and the game to be an arena style combat sim?

So in this respect yes, i would want free ships to pvp. Not the best ones, some middle class.

I don;t want to NEED to have 2-3 alts to do anything in eve. I want 1 account, extra fee for gold ships or maybe some special insurance. And i want to pvp not so spin ship or to boring stuff like running mission over and over again. In which the only challenge is how fast you can make them.

41 mil combat/support/industrial pilot :).

a: so you were a trollbad in a cane and will likely be flying the navy issue, good to know.

b: comprehensively wrong, do try more.

c: up until shuttles were removed from NPC sell orders and rookie ships were shifted away from being reprocessed they were massive trit and py fountains but again what would you know.

d: considering some of the most impressive eve kills in existence ( jita 4-4 plex carrying shuttle kills) were in courier ships, continue conversing and claiming you are a pvp pilot (hint: you run into shuttle in 0.0 as well, rarely as it is quite suicidal but you do so you have no legs to stand on).

e: I have every interest in squashing such ill-formed ideas as any good eve player and getting any half-baked player to cork their mouth until they have even the slightest clue what they're talking about.

thank you in advance for learning the difference between what you think you know and what actually is out there.

i have some responses to you, but as per my edit i am now going to ignore you since i can't actually get a decent conversation out of you. glfh.

Which means you have no responses, likely considering your immaturity with the game, gl though out there I doubt you're gonna hf for a while.

Thank you for the link .

You're welcome, look at the video before you go though ;) thems some 7 mil cruisers (there are solo fits for em as well and they face rape most battlecruiser, battleships and some cruisers in pvp situations).

I started to play eve in 2003-2004. I stayed in 0.0 for the entire period and i been in pvp oriented alliances like TRI (MK1).

You don;t have to explain me feets and stuff like this.

I simply had enough of farming. Only thing that can bring me back is removing of farming for casual players. I can accept something like a tier 1.5 batlecruisers and understand that i will loose VS a loot of other ships. But in gang it will still bring something. Please be serious and don;t speak about cruisers and frigate in pvp or we are probably in different books.

Oooh and.... if you have limited funds, why not fly something you can afford? a well fitted frig is 5 million or so and not too bad in PvP. You can get 10 frigs per hour doing some PvP. 

The thing that makes EVEs PvP so gratifying is the risk of losing a ship that has some cost assigned to it. If there no cost assigned then EVE would be pretty darn boring

Fair enough. Please name a single ship that you can kill in frig in 0.0. I think even an Iteron will kill you.

There will be always better ships in eve.  10 gang battleships will face melt 10gang battle cruisers.

What do you even want?

Leave him be dude, it's like explaining to a kid thermodynamics... he thinks battleships are flat out better than cruisers and gives an example where the cruisers would win =)).

really ? how do you beat with a 10 batlecruisers gang a rr 10 batleship group . Please enlight me.

In that situation? I'd go with a 10 strong brutix gang in derp close range, before you say it the only rr battleships are domis and a few long ranged ones which can pull it off but not half as well, the hyperion is dead meat and a megathron would buffer it for a while but if there's any neuting or tracking disruption through into the mix forget it. Of course I am nowhere near proficient in pvp, one of my corp mates though could probably tell you how he'd do it with 10 frigates.

Sell PLEX for ISK.

a: so you were a trollbad in a cane and will likely be flying the navy issue, good to know.

c: up until shuttles were removed from NPC sell orders and rookie ships were shifted away from being reprocessed they were massive trit and py fountains but again what would you know.

d: considering some of the most impressive eve kills in existence ( jita 4-4 plex carrying shuttle kills) were in courier ships, continue conversing and claiming you are a pvp pilot (hint: you run into shuttle in 0.0 as well, rarely as it is quite suicidal but you do so you have no legs to stand on).

e: I have every interest in squashing such ill-formed ideas as any good eve player and getting any half-baked player to cork their mouth until they have even the slightest clue what they're talking about.

thank you in advance for learning the difference between what you think you know and what actually is out there.

i have some responses to you, but as per my edit i am now going to ignore you since i can't actually get a decent conversation out of you. glfh.

Which means you have no responses, likely considering your immaturity with the game, gl though out there I doubt you're gonna hf for a while.

Thank you for the link .

I started to play eve in 2003-2004. I stayed in 0.0 for the entire period and i been in pvp oriented alliances like TRI (MK1).

I simply had enough of farming. Only thing that can bring me back is removing of farming for casual players. I can accept something like a tier 1.5 batlecruisers and understand that i will loose VS a loot of other ships. But in gang it will still bring something. Please be serious and don;t speak about cruisers and frigate in pvp or we are probably in different books.

You haven't played in the last year or so then because with the rebalances that have gone down allot of frigates and cruiser hulls have become really viable in small and medium gangs, not in cap ship battles or serious 0.0 battlefields but still.

Sell PLEX for ISK.

Why do you want to play EVE then?  Why not a different space game that is more like unreal tournament with spaceships?

With PLEX you can have thousands of PVP ships in a moment, but that's not good enough yet for you?  I mean, why not just go play a different game really because even the things that get you ships for real money aren't what you want despite you asking for it.

If you'd like me to link you worse space games that offer you unsatisfying combat so you can mindlessly shoot things for no reason, I"ll gladly link you to games that you seem to prefer.

Good point. I put hopes in Star Citizen and Elite dangerous. I pledged a lot in their campaign.

Be assured next successfully mmo will put a big dent in eve player-base.

Thousands of pvp ships with plex would cost thousands of $$. No thanks. I can do better things with my money. I am not drug-addicted to eve.

I have interest in eve but not at this price tag. (ie not having to farm 10 hours for a ship). If we speak about T2 ships more.

Sell PLEX for ISK.

Why do you want to play EVE then?  Why not a different space game that is more like unreal tournament with spaceships?

With PLEX you can have thousands of PVP ships in a moment, but that's not good enough yet for you?  I mean, why not just go play a different game really because even the things that get you ships for real money aren't what you want despite you asking for it.

If you'd like me to link you worse space games that offer you unsatisfying combat so you can mindlessly shoot things for no reason, I"ll gladly link you to games that you seem to prefer.

Good point. I put hopes in Star Citizen and Elite dangerous. I pledged a lot in their campaign.

Thousands of pvp ships with plex would cost thousands of $$. No thanks. I can do better things with my money. I am not drug-addicted to eve.

I have interest in eve but not at this price tag. (ie not having to farm 10 hours for a ship). If we speak about T2 ships more.

2 hours for a tech 2 cruiser doing level 4s with salvaging in toe. I earned (currently on a break) around 100 mil per day playing 4-5 hours, that's 3 bil per month, if you cram for a week doing grind you can fund you pvp derpxcursions in tech 1 frigates and cruisers for the rest of the month and still have money left over if you didn't die every single time.

wait what?

Dude, obviously If would have an interest to play eve (with the current  farming price tag) i would play it. So yes you are correct, i don;t have an interest to waste my time playing  to play eve.

Let's do the math at the prices i remember, feel free to adjust them

1 fitted hac with T2 fit  ~ 150-200 mil (jita price and some 0.0 price). Waste 2 per day - That's a plex

Repeat 1 month.

Let me know the total in $.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Free ships and player driven economy dont mix.

Free ships and feeling of real loss dont mix.

It is as simple as that.

Sell PLEX for ISK.

2 hours for a tech 2 cruiser doing level 4s with salvaging in toe. I earned (currently on a break) around 100 mil per day playing 4-5 hours, that's 3 bil per month, if you cram for a week doing grind you can fund you pvp derpxcursions in tech 1 frigates and cruisers for the rest of the month and still have money left over if you didn't die every single time.

Sounds reasonable. Just 1 question : DO you actually enjoy during those 2 hours ? 2 hours for a month puts you in 60 hours per month which is one week and a half of work.

Originally posted by hfztt

Free ships and player driven economy dont mix.

Free ships and feeling of real loss dont mix.

It is as simple as that.

Please back your answer with a projection.

Look at this scenario where free ships increase eve player base with 20% and increases PVP with 50% where only 20-30% are free ships.

Sell PLEX for ISK.

Sounds reasonable. Just 1 question : DO you actually enjoy during those 2 hours ? 2 hours for a month puts you in 60 hours per month which is one week and a half of work.

Yup, because I can multitask, talk to corpies on chat or via teamspeak, read articles in the background, watch videos, whatnot, a few times I was even dicking around in EVEHQ trying to further optimize fits I used in various areas. If you wanna have fun you can have fun even while missioning, granted the act itself is kinda boring after a while but just like a regular job if you're good at it you have time to do other things at the same time and after you're done doing the job you can get on partying with your money just like in real life :P.

What do you even want?

Leave him be dude, it's like explaining to a kid thermodynamics... he thinks battleships are flat out better than cruisers and gives an example where the cruisers would win =)).

In that situation? I'd go with a 10 strong brutix gang in derp close range, before you say it the only rr battleships are domis and a few long ranged ones which can pull it off but not half as well, the hyperion is dead meat and a megathron would buffer it for a while but if there's any neuting or tracking disruption through into the mix forget it. Of course I am nowhere near proficient in pvp, one of my corp mates though could probably tell you how he'd do it with 10 frigates.

Sell PLEX for ISK.

Thank you for the link .

You haven't played in the last year or so then because with the rebalances that have gone down allot of frigates and cruiser hulls have become really viable in small and medium gangs, not in cap ship battles or serious 0.0 battlefields but still.

10 brutixes derp will loose against 10 rr bs big time even if  they are not domy simply because of EHP and dps.

They will be killing a single bs maybe if lucky. Which can deagro and jump in meantime assuming the battle is at gate where is 99%.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Nope.

No one likes a target painted on their back.

Sell PLEX for ISK.

Yup, because I can multitask, talk to corpies on chat or via teamspeak, read articles in the background, watch videos, whatnot, a few times I was even dicking around in EVEHQ trying to further optimize fits I used in various areas. If you wanna have fun you can have fun even while missioning, granted the act itself is kinda boring after a while but just like a regular job if you're good at it you have time to do other things at the same time and after you're done doing the job you can get on partying with your money just like in real life :P.

If you run mission non-afk you will have to pay attention and click or your ship goes puff which you don;t want in a good ship. I assume you dpon;t mission in raven with t2 fit.

If you afk in domi or similar than your incomme will be really low

Anyway,  good for you that you still enjoy this. For me was really unfun to multibox just to make isk.

Multibox with 2 pvp ships is different story and i enjoyed that.

What do you even want?

Sell PLEX for ISK.

Thank you for the link .

10 brutixes derp will loose against 10 rr bs big time even if  they are not domy simply because of EHP and dps.

They will be killing a single bs maybe if lucky. Which can deagro and jump in meantime assuming the battle is at gate where is 99%.

Yes if the brutixes were piloted by lobotomized chimps who didn't know how to stay under the guns of the enemy battleships and moving fast enough for them not to land consistent hits, if you throw in tracking disruption ( which you can considering the prop/cap boost/scram leave one med slot open) then you're battleships will be firing with drunk gunners to boot. Also you never mentioned anything about it being a gate in which case the brutixes just jet in under the bses guns and wait for them to aggress in which case good luck jumping out with the 15 min timer in effect ;).

Sell PLEX for ISK.

If you run mission non-afk you will have to pay attention and click or your ship goes puff which you don;t want in a good ship. I assume you dpon;t mission in raven with t2 fit.

Anyway,  good for you that you still enjoy this. For me was really unfun to multibox just to make isk.

I mission in a deadspace/faction fit tengu, granted it's a cheapish fit but it gets the job done in good time, if I went for my ideal fit on the ship I'd have to splurge a few billion on the ship alone but it would pay for itself in a few months... just too lazy at the current time to be bothered :D.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

Almost nothing will bring new players to EvE...EvE is too slow paced for the casual gamer to pay to play. 

Only thing that would bring new players to eve is possibly if you could manually control the spaceship using WASDQE....on top of that make them move faster than they do now....doing that would make it more like a arcadey type game..so casuals would come for a little while at least

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Originally posted by shingoukieh

Almost nothing will bring new players to EvE...EvE is too slow paced for the casual gamer to pay to play. 

Only thing that would bring new players to eve is possibly if you could manually control the spaceship using WASDQE....on top of that make them move faster than they do now....doing that would make it more like a arcadey type game..so casuals would come for a little while at least

Have you considered that there are casual new people who actually just don't know they want to play EVE as it is now? :)

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

What do you even want?

Sell PLEX for ISK.

Thank you for the link .

Yes if the brutixes were piloted by lobotomized chimps who didn't know how to stay under the guns of the enemy battleships and moving fast enough for them not to land consistent hits, if you throw in tracking disruption ( which you can considering the prop/cap boost/scram leave one med slot open) then you're battleships will be firing with drunk gunners to boot. Also you never mentioned anything about it being a gate in which case the brutixes just jet in under the bses guns and wait for them to aggress in which case good luck jumping out with the 15 min timer in effect ;).

Sell PLEX for ISK.

I mission in a deadspace/faction fit tengu, granted it's a cheapish fit but it gets the job done in good time, if I went for my ideal fit on the ship I'd have to splurge a few billion on the ship alone but it would pay for itself in a few months... just too lazy at the current time to be bothered :D.

dude you made me laugh with your brutixes Do you actually pvp  ? web + mwd_off and you go nowhere. You melt in seconds.

that tengu sounds cool tough

Holy wall of quotes batman. 

I remain unconvinced.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Originally posted by shingoukieh

Have you considered that there are casual new people who actually just don't know they want to play EVE as it is now? :)

If eve don;t bring new blood it will eventually die.

The learning curve is to step for too little reward at least at beginning.