Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warning about BioWare

bearcatbearcat Member UncommonPosts: 6

Just wanted to give anyone reading this a heads up about BioWare and your SWTOR account.

If your account is compromised ( ie hacked ) bioware will do nothing to return your items unless your send them a scan of a PASSPORT and state issued drivers ID.

This is what they have told me after spending 6 hours on the phone and 4 emails dealing with them about my account. 

For me this was to much I refused to give them this kind of information and as such have lost every thing in game .

I am posting this because I had assumed incorrectly that if my account was hacked they would return my items like in other games .

I answer the secret questions verify my account and get my items back .

Never would I have thought they would demand a scanned image of my drivers ID and a passport .

This is something I think they should let customers know up front before purchasing their game .  So I am wanting to give every one a heads up.

If a person purchasing their game is ok with this that is their business but they should make all aware from the start this is how they deal with the issue . 

Comments

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by bearcat

Just wanted to give anyone reading this a heads up about BioWare and your SWTOR account.

If your account is compromised ( ie hacked ) bioware will do nothing to return your items unless your send them a scan of a PASSPORT and state issued drivers ID.

This is what they have told me after spending 6 hours on the phone and 4 emails dealing with them about my account. 

For me this was to much I refused to give them this kind of information and as such have lost every thing in game .

I am posting this because I had assumed incorrectly that if my account was hacked they would return my items like in other games .

Never would I have thought they would demand a scanned image of my drivers ID and a passport .

This is something I think they should let customers know up front before purchasing their game .  So I am wanting to give every one a heads up.

If a person purchasing their game is ok with this that is their business but they should make all aware from the start this is how they deal with the issue . 

1st time since launch that i hear about someone who was hacked in this game.  

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    sounds like a scam to me. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by bearcat

I can top this story.

Back then when they had these beta testing weekends, at a point they changed something about the login process and set up something like 5 secret questions if i remember right. The whole thing didnt work out right away and lots of testers couldn't login anymore, because whatever answers they typed in were wrong.

I called the support hotline asking them to reset the answers to my secret questions and the guy on the hotline seriously asked me to mail them a copy of my ID first, otherwise my account would remain locked. I asked him if he is serious about me scanning and mailing my ID in order to reset a 3 day beta account and told him what a hassle it was to get a betakey in first place etc..he just said that this is the common process and told me that if i wanted to play that weekend, it would be faster to get another key (which he also couldnt provide). Needless to say that all sites were out of keys for days already.

Later on they solved the problem with those secret answers and i was able to login again. I never bought the game later on, so the support didn't concern me, but it shurely was a curious experience.

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239

My World of Warcraft account was hacked a few years back and they wanted me to send them a copy of my Drivers License before they would return it to me. Until I did they said they would close the account so no one could use it.

I was not playing at the time it got hacked, I got an email saying that there was suspicious activity on my account, and was not planning on playing again so my account should still be in limbo since I never sent them a scan of my ID.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I would not send a copy of anything, sounds like somebody is trying to do id theft on the op.   Send a copy of a passport, who has that unless they travel outside the county.  Somebody falling for a good phishing scam. 

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    This is not a new idea on compromised accounts, Frogster asked for this type of verification afew years ago, I cannot really see what the problem would be to fax your id off ... are you really that naïve to believe that companys don't already have data on you?. 
  • cadamlcadaml Member Posts: 37
    That's how it is done with WoW except for the passport part. No big deal. Well i mean.. i trust Blizzard atleast lol
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Martinmas

My World of Warcraft account was hacked a few years back and they wanted me to send them a copy of my Drivers License before they would return it to me. Until I did they said they would close the account so no one could use it.

I was not playing at the time it got hacked, I got an email saying that there was suspicious activity on my account, and was not planning on playing again so my account should still be in limbo since I never sent them a scan of my ID.

Odd, when that happened to me on WoW they fully restored everything no questions asked.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by erictlewis

I would not send a copy of anything, sounds like somebody is trying to do id theft on the op.   Send a copy of a passport, who has that unless they travel outside the county.  Somebody falling for a good phishing scam. 

that guy is right, for example if you changed ISP while inactive and your account was hacked Blizzard employees would often ask for a copy of your drivers license or any legal document which would verify your ID.

A game serial and or additional info -secret question or payment info/account details- were not accepted anymore in many cases.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Actually, Blizzard Europe have had this system in place for several years now and so does my e-mail provider.

It is not anything unusual, simply a question of being able to provide info a hacker would not be able to get(unless you keep a pic of it on your computer and manages to get a trojan that give remote access... but then you are forked any way)

Then again i tend to react less violently to things like this as pretty much anything on my ID is public information where i live. I would be way more cautious providing my CC details then my ID to a company.

This have been a good conversation

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

An adult should know that when you give identity information to a party you're dealing with, that party might ask to see your ID to verify at some point.

I think Bioware is doing the right thing.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

OP is looking for scandal, but failing.

There's nothing unusual or phishing attempt when an online company wants a copy of your ID (well, passport is a bit rare case and maybe you shouldn't enclose that), specially using drivers license as a confirmation of identity before returning the account to a player.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Martinmas

Odd, when that happened to me on WoW they fully restored everything no questions asked.

Same here.  Blizzard was pretty good restoring my stuff with minimal effort on my part.  I also had login problems with SWTOR (not hacked) and they didn't ask me for much beyond my name and the answers to my secret questions, no request for a passport or drivers license.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    My WoW account was hacked once before I had an authenticator years ago and once after I had an authenticator less than a year ago.... both times I had to send them a copy of my DL.

Rift - I no longer had my authenticator app and needed it removed from my account...had to send my DL.

Standard requirement.