Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pc issues need advice

d00fbysanchod00fbysancho Member Posts: 219
Lately my pc been running pretty slow i was only wondering what would you guys suggest for a new anti virus and any type of registry maintence tools should i go with AVG virus/1click maintence let me know any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    There are some good paid programs out there but i use MS security essentials and threatfire.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939

Personally I like Norton 360, there are other great one's out there. First thing I would do is run tdsskiller from Kaspersky and is free to use.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller

Kaspersky is also good to use.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

Glary or CCleaner for system cleaners.

Run malwarebytes to check for adware and stuff every now and then.

I suggest going to http://ninite.com/ , You select the programs that you want to install, and it creates an installer for you, that will download and install/update programs with 1 click, very nice for those that don't like going through and clicking next a bunch. Yes, it automatically declines any optional software that is trying to be installed.

I would also suggest checking for Pando Media Booster, and remove it.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by d00fbysancho
    Lately my pc been running pretty slow i was only wondering what would you guys suggest for a new anti virus and any type of registry maintence tools should i go with AVG virus/1click maintence let me know any advice would be greatly appreciated

Clean install and then dont go every site and click on every link and install virus scanners no need if you know what to do on internet.

Some specs on what pc you have and ram OS 32bit or 64bit?

Dial up or good adsl connection?

Slow hardware

Bad software installed.

To many protection programs running or torrents.

Stop down loading p.....during gaming:P

So many reason why it all can slow down.

I have sinds 2002 no protection programs agains virus or malware last few years i only use MS protection program thats all but its all not needed.

But i dont have any social network i almost dont register on sites and i have 0% personal info on my hd/ssd so hackers can't steal anything.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by d00fbysancho

First, I would start with learning to use punctuation.  Then, you can communicate your thoughts in a way that everyone can understand easier.

Viruses and other malware are not among the top reasons for a slow computer.  If you are suspecting a virus for other reasons, just about any free virus scanner is worth using.  Microsoft Security Essentials is free if you have a legal copy of Windows installed on your computer.  If you're running Windows 8, you already have Microsoft Security Essentials built in to Windows Defender.

Post your PC specs, and let us know what you are trying to run that makes your computer seem slow.  Does it happen all of the time, or just when doing certain things?  If you are playing games, do you get slow framerates, bad loading times, or occasional freezing of the screen, or a combination of them?  Be specific, or the cause of your issue won't be easy to identify.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

That's quite a leap in logic. Going from "computer feels slower" to which antivirus should you use.

What makes you think it has anything to do with a virus? The most common cases of computers suddenly feeling slower than before are:

1. Too many unnecessary programs and/or processes running at Windows start-up and then staying in the background. Check this first.

2. Fragmented Hard drives - might be time for a defrag. 

3. Some random HW problem

72. A virus

If you want to try a program that MIGHT help, DL System Mechanic and install the free version. No need to buy the full version.

If you have no anti-virus or anti-spyware, spend money if you want... or use the free Microsoft one--it's all the anti-virus and anti-spyware I've used for several years. For Windows 7 it's called Security Essentials and for 8 it's called Windows Defender. It's included in the 8 installation but for 7 it's a separate download. Start at this page: 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/security-essentials-download

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED