Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would "gold battlecruisers" bring more casual players to eve ?

apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273

When my time to play eve reduced due to job and family i had no other solution than to stop play eve because the logistic required to make/mantain a hangar filled with ships ready to fight was too much.

I switched to World of Tanks because it was more friendly to casual players.

I would love to return to eve if they would have gold batlecruisers - battlecruisers that spawn in your station like noob ships(with some time restrictions like 1 per hours or so). 

Comments

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Is EVE seeking casual players?

If so, why?

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Probably, but at what cost to the game? Both in terms of the ingame economy and how many players would quit in outrage.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Join a corp. 

Ask a corpmate to get you ships.

Pay him a little bit extra for the hassle.

Voila.

And sorry, i forgot to address your other point. If we remove the pricetag on ships then losing and killing them would not be less fun which would eliminate the biggest appeal of EVE.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Antiquated

If so, why?

More Players to slave out... More Players to Scam... more Players to Suicide Gank... more Players to Hunt...

tldr; More Victims. All PvP MMOs need fresh meat. That's how PvP really works. The Strong feed off of the Weak. The Casuals are perfect.

(I don't like that this is true, but it IS true.)

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Probably, but at what cost to the game? Both in terms of the ingame economy and how many players would quit in outrage.

Ingame economy would grow if anything because more fights would happen and guess what most of players would want better ships.

This days everybody is afraid of loosing ships and from here "spinning online"

Originally posted by sacredfool

Join a corp. 

Ask a corpmate to get you ships.

Pay him a little bit extra for the hassle.

Voila.

And sorry, i forgot to address your other point. If we remove the pricetag on ships then losing and killing them would not be less fun which would eliminate the biggest appeal of EVE.

Let me know the corp that gave you like 20 ships per week to roam.

Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by Antiquated

If so, why?

More Players to slave out... More Players to Scam... more Players to Suicide Gank... more Players to Hunt...

tldr; More Victims. All PvP MMOs need fresh meat. That's how PvP really works. The Strong feed off of the Weak. The Casuals are perfect.

/sarcasm off

Exactly. I would not be afraid to engage because of loosing ship unless i am 99% sure that i win.

With a "free" ship i would undock even for 20% chance to win.

We would both get a fight and one of us will get a KM.

How is this worse than no fight and no km ?

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Destroying the EvE-economy 101.

A fully T2-fit battlecruiser costs some laughable 50mil (without insurance) and you can make that amount of money within two hours of casually flying LvL4 missions in highsec.
    Take insurance into account and you're down to some 30mil ISK.

So within three days of casual two hours spent in LvL4 missions gives you four fully fit battlecruisers for the rest of the week. It can't be anymore easy than this actually.

On another note... cruisers like the Thorax, Vexor or Rupture are way better for casual roaming and these cost only some 15mil fully T2-fitted (without insurance), so with the above example of flying LvL4-missions you can get allmost 10 of them to throw away in PvP.

PvP and roaming through low/0.0 in T1 cruisers is the most enjoyable PvP in EvE anyways. It's a lesson learned during seven years of 0.0-warfare.
    Even more enoyable is roaming through low/0.0 with a small group (less than 10) of hardhitting inteceptors like the 'ranis, which are not really that much more expensive than a Thorax.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I don't think it's a good idea to take a loose ship into the vacuum of outer space.
  • PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

see, i've actually thought for a while that if in FW you were provided with low-end frigates, cruisers, or battlecruisers by the NPC government, it would be immensely beneficial to EvE. the idea would be that these ships would only have their safeties off (for any target, player or NPC) except within FW areas, and these ships would only be available to you as long as you were enlisted in FW.

as it stands there's no way to get experience flying those ships without a huge amount of grinding out isk to make up for your inevitable losses. if people in FW were given these ships which they could fly in FW, that would give them the ability to learn the ship they want to fly without being doomed to have to grind out a bunch of cash all the time to cover it. and of course it would be better if you brought a non-FW ship to the fight, but these FW ships would allow people to learn the ropes in a low-risk environment, which is what EvE desperately needs.

that said, i think this would only appeal to the more casually-inclined current or past EvE players, and wouldn't do much to draw in new casuals. this would effectively form a PvP bootcamp, allowing players to feel confident in their piloting skills, but the rest of the game would be just as unforgiving, which would be as much of a deterrent as ever. i dunno. someone's probably going to crap all over me for this but whatever. all i know is it would bring me back to EvE with a vengeance. the ability to manage risk is a powerful incentive, and it's one which EvE utterly lacks for new players.

EDIT: admittedly this would remove FW from the economy to a degree, but with these FW ships being essentially  the worst in their categories, the incentive would be there to upgrade when you felt comfortable thus leaving FW somewhat part of the market. also, in my mind, you would be provided with fittings for these FW ships as well. again, these fittings would be like meta -1, or civilian level.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by apanz3r

When my time to play eve reduced due to job and family i had no other solution than to stop play eve because the logistic required to make/mantain a hangar filled with ships ready to fight was too much.

I would love to return to eve if they would have gold batlecruisers - battlecruisers that spawn in your station like noob ships(with some time restrictions like 1 per hours or so). 

This is a game where every ship you fly and many of the modules you use are crafted by other players and you want to add free battlecruisers to it? You want people to be able to spawn a BC per hour with each account? That sure won't have any unintended consequences.

Originally posted by Yalexy

Destroying the EvE-economy 101.

I hardly see this possible.

The HACs are marginally better than battlecruisers, still people fly them, and examples can continue.

People with strong ingame  income will still use normal ships and because of more pew pew more normal ships will die.

Originally posted by sketocafe

This is a game where every ship you fly and many of the modules you use are crafted by other players and you want to add free battlecruisers to it? You want people to be able to spawn a BC per hour with each account? That sure won't have any unintended consequences.

Not every ship..... Shuttles and ibises  are not.

Maybe not every hour, maybe cooldown of 2 hours etc.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Face it OP, EvE is not for the likes of you, enjoy WoT
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by atticusbc

see, i've actually thought for a while that if in FW you were provided with low-end frigates, cruisers, or battlecruisers by the NPC government, it would be immensely beneficial to EvE. the idea would be that these ships would only have their safeties off (for any target, player or NPC) within FW areas, and these ships would only be available as long as you were in FW.

as it stands there's no way to get experience flying those ships without a huge amount of grinding out isk to make up for your inevitable losses. if people in FW were given these ships which they could fly in FW, that would give them the ability to learn the ship they want to fly without being doomed to have to grind out a bunch of cash all the time to cover it. and of course it would be better if you brought a non-FW ship to the fight, but these FW ships would allow people to learn the ropes in a low-risk environment, which is what EvE desperately needs.

that said, i think this would only appeal to the more casually-inclined current or past EvE players, and wouldn't do much to draw in new casuals. this would effectively form a PvP bootcamp, allowing players to feel confident in their piloting skills, but the rest of the game would be just as unforgiving, which would be as much of a deterrent as ever. i dunno. someone's probably going to crap all over me for this but whatever. all i know is it would bring me back to EvE with a vengeance. the ability to manage risk is a powerful incentive, and it's one which EvE utterly lacks for new players.

you are correct, for Faction Warfare this idea of free Frigs is great.

Problem isn't the idea, problem is the Players IN faction Warfare itself. Their expectations to be specific. I just got done going back to EvE, something I do every year or so. I played it for over 4 years and it still tugs on me to come back and visit.

This time I checked out FW and one of the first things I was told was to get a second account and skill up a Logistics Pilot or don't even bother asking to join FW. I don't dual box or multibox (don't believe in it, I feel it's cheating in a MMO to do so), so I told the FW folks no. Years ago I dualboxed 2 accounts in EvE but my feelings about doing so have changed since then.

Casual Players aren't going to be inclined to dualbox or multibox anymore than I would do so.... they are casual and would probably want to stay with one account while they play... so FW is not a good fit right now for Casuals (imo) with what I found while I was there recently.

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

you are correct, for Faction Warfare this idea of free Frigs is great.

Problem isn't the idea, problem is the Players IN faction Warfare itself. Their expectations to be specific. I just got done going back to EvE, something I do every year or so. I played it for over 4 years and it still tugs on me to come back and visit.

This time I checked out FW and one of the first things I was told was to get a second account and skill up a Logistics Pilot or don't even bother asking to join FW. I don't dual box or multibox (don't believe in it, I feel it's cheating in a MMO to do so), so I told the FW folks no.

Casual Players aren't going to be inclined to dualbox or multibox anymore than I would do so.... they are casual and would probably want to stay with one account while they play... so FW is not a good fit right now for Casuals (imo) with what I found while I was there recently.

in theory this wouldn't be a problem, since there would essentially be a contingent of FW players who are only playing to get used to flying a frig, or cruiser, or bc before hopping out into their endgame plans. so since they aren't particularly invested emotionally or financially in FW they could just do whatever they want, and not join FW corps. being allowed into FW is a matter of signing up with an NPC empire, not with other players. heck, FW ship pilots could form their own corps, ones which would probably be based around learning the ropes and getting out, or just being mindless zergs, neither of which would be a real threat to organized, invested FW corps. true this might do some damage to FW as it stands now, but people who are actually invested in it would have the advantages of being organized and of flying better ships if they so chose.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by sketocafe

Not every ship..... Shuttles and ibises  are not.

Maybe not every hour, maybe cooldown of 2 hours etc.

I don't want you to think that I'm going to stop replying to you is because of the strength to your 'arguments.' That's not it at all.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Shuttles are player made and rookie ships are shit and cannot be reprocessed.

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201

Free ships would certainly hurt the economy, you are bringing in a free BC that should be bought off the market, you are directly changing the "player driven" part that is such a huge part of this games identity.

Eve is a sandbox, it is not really ment for casual play, Themepark games are most suited for casual, that is not to say there are not casuals in eve, I have been casual at times (more of a maintenance thing). If you going to be casual in eve you need to figure out how to generate isk when your not online to support yourself when you are online.

As for the free ships in FW, there are lots of corps out there that do give free frigs to their members...maybe you should find one of them and this silly free ships for FW pilots would be over.

I am sorry but really this whole freedium BS is getting to me, ppl seem to think every game needs to implement this or part of it. It really is to much. Some games do fine and are ment to not use this freedium model, eve-online is one of them. Eve offers lots of ways to get things for free and even play the game for free, it is up to the player to figure out how to do it.

Originally posted by Dihoru

shuttles are provided free by the game when you enter a station in your pod and have no other ships presently docked in that station. so if people are making shuttles, they're wasting their time, money, and materials.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119
    There you go.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Dihoru

shuttles are provided free by the game when you enter a station in your pod and have no other ships presently docked in that station. so if people are making shuttles, they're wasting their time, money, and materials.

I love it when someone who doesn't even play the game contradicts someone with 7 years of experience. The ships you get when you dock in a pod and have no ships in the station are called rookie ships, they are basic frigate class ships, shuttles are even smaller ships which are courier ships, they have only 10m3 of space and with good navigation skills 600 m/s speed STL.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Red vs Blue pretty much solves the problem and I've been in several corps that have given away a many frigates and cruisers as players could blow up.

Perhaps a bigger concern is most corps are extremely sensitive to having excessive losses on their killboards.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

It probably would bring more casual players into eve.

But it would at the same time ruin it for everyone and the net loss would be much greater.

Originally posted by AreWeLive

As for the free ships in FW, there are lots of corps out there that do give free frigs to their members...maybe you should find one of them and this silly free ships for FW pilots would be over.

I am sorry but really this whole freedium BS is getting to me, ppl seem to think every game needs to implement this or part of it. It really is to much. Some games do fine and are ment to not use this freedium model, eve-online is one of them. Eve offers lots of ways to get things for free and even play the game for free, it is up to the player to figure out how to do it.

no. it's not a matter of frigs. it's a matter of cruisers and bcs. these are ships that can be very expensive to buy and fit, especially for new players, and providing an area where they can get used to flying them in PvP, handling them, their tactics, etc. is something which EvE utterly lacks. bcs don't fly like frigs, and you don't fly or fit in PvP like you do in PvE. the ability to experiment and gain experience with different fits or ship categories in a low-risk environment would be a fantastic addition to EvE.

and heck, this sort of training environment is even provided in real life, yet EvE, in this way, is trying to be more hardcore than real life. i would ask you to reread my posts to get a clearer idea of what i'm proposing if you haven't already. the ships i recommend would have a negligible effect on FW due to their power (or rather lack thereof).

i agree though. freemium or f2p is not a suitable model for EvE. what EvE desperately needs though is a way for pilots to get used to handling different categories of ships