Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why should I play this game?

ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Ok, here's the deal.. I have been thinking about playing this game for awhile, however I still am not sure. I loved Shadowbane, and some have told me this is like Shadowbane. Of course that brings good and bad thoughts, much as I loved it Shadowbane had some issues.  How prevalent is ganking, as opposed to a current game like EVE for example?  How easy/hard is it to get into a guild/kin/clan whatever this game calls it as opposed to one where they just want numbers and don't care about your game experience?  Is the local/ regional chat filled with moronic chatter like some games which will remain nameless?   Can I advance reasonably? How sandbox is it as far as creating the type of character I want - for example say a mage thief(not that I want one but could I become one)?    Just a few questions I would like answered before I commit. Thank you.

Currently bored with MMO's.

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by ElderRat

Ok, here's the deal.. I have been thinking about playing this game for awhile, however I still am not sure. I loved Shadowbane, and some have told me this is like Shadowbane. Of course that brings good and bad thoughts, much as I loved it Shadowbane had some issues.  How prevalent is ganking, as opposed to a current game like EVE for example?  How easy/hard is it to get into a guild/kin/clan whatever this game calls it as opposed to one where they just want numbers and don't care about your game experience?  Is the local/ regional chat filled with moronic chatter like some games which will remain nameless?   Can I advance reasonably? How sandbox is it as far as creating the type of character I want - for example say a mage thief(not that I want one but could I become one)?    Just a few questions I would like answered before I commit. Thank you.

This was my first Darkfall game, I got into an awesome PvP clan no problem, we have our own city and hold events frequently.  Ganking PvP happens frequently because a lot of people travel in groups, this is beneficial to PVE as well because higher spawn rates @ 3 5 and 7 man groups.  Global Chat is filled with trade requests, trollings, the usuals, I normally only have clan chat and my combat log open on the chat box.  You can make any class you want, and advance any skill/stat you want. There are no restriction.

Hope this helps :D

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    sounds good, see what the rest may say. Thanks for your input.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Ok, here's the deal.. I have been thinking about playing this game for awhile, however I still am not sure. I loved Shadowbane, and some have told me this is like Shadowbane. Of course that brings good and bad thoughts, much as I loved it Shadowbane had some issues.  

If you loves shadowbane, you'll love darkfall. Same thing- it has issues, but the good outweighs the bad.

How prevalent is ganking, as opposed to a current game like EVE for example?  

It happens. you can avoid it if you play smart.

How easy/hard is it to get into a guild/kin/clan whatever this game calls it as opposed to one where they just want numbers and don't care about your game experience?  

easy. 

Is the local/ regional chat filled with moronic chatter like some games which will remain nameless?  

every game has moronic chatter, but most people don't use chat. They use ventrilo or mumble, instead.

Can I advance reasonably?

yes.

How sandbox is it as far as creating the type of character I want - for example say a mage thief(not that I want one but could I become one)?    

It's not as varied as it should be, imo. but more schools are coming out.

You can kinda hybrid yourself with strenght boosters on a caster, for example.. Any class can use any weapon, and you can switch classes whenever you want.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I didn't play Shadowbane, but a lot of people that are playing Darkfall did play it.
  • KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593

As a huge fan of Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, and other amazing PvP games, Darkfall Unholy Wars is absolutely amazing.

By far the best gaming experience I've had since Ultima Online.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Kasmos

As a huge fan of Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, and other amazing PvP games, Darkfall Unholy Wars is absolutely amazing.

Just for balance i was a 10 year player of DAoC and played UO, Shadowbane, GW2, PS, PS2, EvE....pretty much every pvp mmo there has been. DFUW is fun for a while, but got boring really quickly for me.

Its worth buying if you want a full loot pvp mmo, otherwise don't bother, DFUW is this and nothing more. If this is what you want then you will find it in DFUW and it does it quite well.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

ok, thanks to everyone who answered. Good input.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

I played UO, DAoC, and SB too, but I wouldn't touch DFUW with a 10-foot pole.

Comparing Darkfall to those games should be a crime.

• ArenthasArenthas Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by topographic

And so did I. Guess we have a difference in opinion. 

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

Maybe UO comparisons are unfounded, but DFUW is exactly what SB should have been. 

SB was closed down because original DF was released, and SB developers couldn't compete with the game similar in style, but better in almost every way.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    SB closed down because of DF the game that failed once already, lol That is a good joke there, gave me a good chuckle.
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    SB closed down because of DF the game that failed once already, lol That is a good joke there, gave me a good chuckle.

Yeah, seriously. Kids these days :-/

Originally posted by Azdul

Maybe UO comparisons are unfounded, but DFUW is exactly what SB should have been. 

SB was closed down because original DF was released, and SB developers couldn't compete with the game similar in style, but better in almost every way.

Shadowbane closed before Darkfall was released. the problems that caused it's closing were more than likely the same problems that caused the original Darkfall to be replaced by the current Darkfall: Unholy Wars.  Admittedly the closing of SB and the launch of DF were close but SB did not close because DF was launched - that launch occured afterwards. SB had already declined to the point that it was going to close prior to that and DF should have learned from that. Idid not play the original DF more than 2 days on a trial because I saw the problems with it. I had hoped that those problems had been addressed. I keep hearing both sides, so i decided to start this thread to see what the players think.  DF is, like Shadowbane was, a niche game. I happen to like the niche, but please let's not blame the demise of SB on DF. If anything killed SB is was the horrible lag. My opinion.

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

These seems like likely scenarios:

The game seems interesting to you

You have spare time

You like to play MMORPG's

There's probably some others. Is there some reason you shouldn't play the game?

Hi

Originally posted by Jayaris

You have spare time

I can only afford 1 MMORPG at a time.  Currently playing LOTRO, which has become so easy it is not challenging.  I prefer a challenge, however I  am concerned about the community that plays a game as much as the challenge.  I have to be able to justify switching from LOTRO to Darkfall unholy wars. I have to know I will be playing it for awhile. For those who will now say I should do a F2P if cost is a concern - I have tried them and it is like paying for Sex - not satisfying. I have been burned before by say I am interested in this game, have the time to play it and I am a gamer.  Those 3 things did not make Mortal Online a good game to play.

You have spare time

I can only afford 1 MMORPG at a time.  Currently playing LOTRO, which has become so easy it is not challenging.  I prefer a challenge, however I  am concerned about the community that plays a game as much as the challenge.  I have to be able to justify switching from LOTRO to Darkfall unholy wars. I have to know I will be playing it for awhile. For those who will now say I should do a F2P if cost is a concern - I have tried them and it is like paying for Sex - not satisfying. I have been burned before by say I am interested in this game, have the time to play it and I am a gamer.  Those 3 things did not make Mortal Online a good game to play.

If you like a full loot MMO and FPS-style combat you may want to give DF a go.  But also on the flip side and I am not trolling here there is a ton of content not released in game yet.  They stated dungeons and the market would be in immediately after launch and 30 days will have passed with zero new content.

Also, there are 2 sides of the story in regards to the grind in DF:UW.  While not as bad as DF1 I personally though do find it a lot more boring and mind numbing.  You literally will have to go kill 30 night hags for example for the xp you need to spend on skills and then the next stage of that feat is kill 150 and it resets to zero.  You will do that over and over with all other mobs to get the XP you need UNLESS you like sitting there chopping a tree all day long in the safe zone.

You just have to ask yourself is the seamless world, server crashes with 2 hour rollbacks, and missing content is worth the freedom of the combat type and full loot knowing you can lose everything at any time - while killing those said same mobs over and over for the 150 kills you need to get the XP.  Also it would be recommended to find a good clan to join as well.

You have spare time

If you like a full loot MMO and FPS-style combat you may want to give DF a go.  But also on the flip side and I am not trolling here there is a ton of content not released in game yet.  They stated dungeons and the market would be in immediately after launch and 30 days will have passed with zero new content.

Also, there are 2 sides of the story in regards to the grind in DF:UW.  While not as bad as DF1 I personally though do find it a lot more boring and mind numbing.  You literally will have to go kill 30 night hags for example for the xp you need to spend on skills and then the next stage of that feat is kill 150 and it resets to zero.  You will do that over and over with all other mobs to get the XP you need UNLESS you like sitting there chopping a tree all day long in the safe zone.

You just have to ask yourself is the seamless world, server crashes with 2 hour rollbacks, and missing content is worth the freedom of the combat type and full loot knowing you can lose everything at any time - while killing those said same mobs over and over for the 150 kills you need to get the XP.

ok, then.. honesty. Thank you.  I appreciate your candor.  If that is the case then I think I will wait and see if these issues are addressed in a couple of months. Thanks everyone.

You have spare time

You just have to ask yourself is the seamless world, server crashes with 2 hour rollbacks, and missing content is worth the freedom of the combat type and full loot knowing you can lose everything at any time - while killing those said same mobs over and over for the 150 kills you need to get the XP.

ok, then.. honesty. Thank you.  I appreciate your candor.  If that is the case then I think I will wait and see if these issues are addressed in a couple of months. Thanks everyone.

To be fair you may want to read some of the other threads also to hear the other side of things - because I am definitely not a fan of the game and thus called a hater on the forums.  I actually do love the concept and loved the first game it is just that AV cannot deliver the concept - I really really wish they could.

*** Also I forgot to let you know there is zero fluff/other things to do you normally find in other MMO's/  Literally all there is to do with ZERO storyline or lore is:

1) Harvest mats/or buy them to get the armor/weapons you need

2) Kill mobs for the XP you need

3) PvP which as a guy starting out you will be running into guys that already have basically max toons and will simply roll you because they are also bored and have nothing better to do.

4) Ride and explore the world - but you get no XP for that until you have explored like the entire map :(

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    It's half finished and plays/looks like a 10 year old game. Why should you play it indeed.
  • asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

This is the only game like it around, that's why you should play it, if you like Open world, full loot pvp.

If I list what I want in a game:

1. open world, meaning no zones, but also no canyon zones where you can't climb over or swim through to the next area.
    2. aim to shoot - with arcing arrows too
    3. meaningful crafting, not everyone likes it but every system has drawbacks
    4. Ownership of houses, and forts and territory by guilds
    5. level free play
    6. skill based - even with the addition of classes you can still swap and play the way you want.
    7. boats that are awesome, albeit not back to what they should be.

Asdar

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

Yeah, seriously. Kids these days :-/

DF had at least bearable graphics, no flying classes, free aim instead tab targetting, you could play it even after losing a city, you didn't have to install Windows 98 - and many guilds (The Fremen Knights, Evil Bastages etc) moved to DF quickly after DF launch. There was even "SB Alliance" controlling parts of Niffleheim and Tribelands.

The plans to close down SB were announced two months after DF release. They were postponed, but SB closed down 2 weeks after DF opened American server.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Basically just watch this video past the first 2 mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxgkMCO9VRU

My blog: image

Originally posted by Consensus

OR go read the steam forums and the forums managed by AV and how unhappy people are on no content being added, all the rollbacks/crashes they had, etc.

Even Uzik and others have posted AV needs to get content in asap or people will get bored.

• CacolacoCacolaco Member UncommonPosts: 99

OR go read the steam forums and the forums managed by AV and how unhappy people are on no content being added, all the rollbacks/crashes they had, etc.

Even Uzik and others have posted AV needs to get content in asap or people will get bored.

I know there's been much debate over the "sandbox" status of this game, but I think that people are making their own content. There's a ton to do in this game. Sure it needs content additions to keep things fresh, but there is plenty here for you to have fun.

Part of the problem with games today is that there is too much emphasis on serving up "fun" on a platter. I've played the games with tons of "content," and I'm bored with"content." I'm not saying this game is the epitome of what I am looking for in an mmorpg, but it is offering something different, and, in this case, different is good.

I'm just waiting for a F2P overhyped sandbox WoW clone with full PVP, epic raid bosses, instanced group content, and Crysis-quality graphics to come out. That, or something fun.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

well yeah I also wont be resubbing until they fix the endgame content (cost/use of holdings etc.)

but i "content locusted" my first month and still really enjoyed it. I would still recommend people to try the game, just not to buy a year's sub yet.

My blog: image