Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Neverwinter: Rob Overmeyer on The Foundry

Comments

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by furbans

Very few limitations?  My ass.  They COMPLETELY missed the mark with the foundry when they decided to not allow persistent world creation or DM hosted events.  This just feels a generic thempark on rails MMO that is faceroll content with no progressive endgame.

Foundry just substitutes quests in Neverwinter to keep people entertained.  The Foundry needed to be a lot more extensive with immersion as immersion is not there. 

Let us know what Foundry quest you made so we can check it out and get a better idea what you are talking about.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by wordiz
    The exploit wasn't as bad as they made it out to be. 0-60 in an hour? No way. A single ranged class (control wizard or cleric) could maybe do it in 4 hours without stopping MAYBE. With one other person, like a melee class, you could do it in twice that long. So it was extremely grindy. IMO being a D&D game people should have the option to make maps to level their characters quicker. The end game is where the foundry won't help you, and also where they generate a lot of their profit. I think the nerf was pretty silly.

Actually the exploit was that bad, some zones seriously took 30 seconds to kill the zone quota of 50 thanks to exploiting traps and pits. The more 'legitimate' ones took about 15 mins and got you 2 levels per run.

Originally posted by VicodinTaco

Very few limitations?  My ass.  They COMPLETELY missed the mark with the foundry when they decided to not allow persistent world creation or DM hosted events.  This just feels a generic thempark on rails MMO that is faceroll content with no progressive endgame.

Foundry just substitutes quests in Neverwinter to keep people entertained.  The Foundry needed to be a lot more extensive with immersion as immersion is not there. 

Let us know what Foundry quest you made so we can check it out and get a better idea what you are talking about.

No he means he is upset because all foundry quests are instanced, rather than having players influence the world (which would be too chaotic tbh).

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Foundry content is so boring, consisting on mostly "go there, kill that" missions that lack any kind of depth, and i can tell you its not about the authors, the tool is bare bones, limited and just sucks.
  • Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    The Foundry's a great thing. I just wish they'd work out the bugs. The quest I was working on for a week is now worthless.
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Rohn

The game is definitely worth playing just by itself.  The Foundry just makes it a lot better - a feature that's pretty rare in this genre.

Given the crap that has passed for "quests" in other games for so long, the Foundry stuff I've played so far have been really good by comparison.

I wonder why the recent reduction to xp/drops was not mentioned. That goes a LONG way to reducing the desirability of playing the Foundry. That said, I don't think Cryptic tested the mission dynamics much, nor gave any guidelines as to what would be considered an "exploitable" mission. It is clear that Cryptic did not want people to advance in levels too quickly, without the need to use the cash shop more often.

you gain lvls extremely fast...i was allready max lvl at the beginning of the last region...questing is very fluent as is lvl gain...so you really dont need to worry about not getting enough xp...oh by the way i also gained max lvl without paying a cent  - on the contrary, i sold items in the cash shop on the way with a worth of around 10 bucks so far

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I must say, persistent foundry created content would actually be amazing if implemented well.  *That* would be a game I would follow with great interest. 

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Thanks to the foundry system this is the first time I've ever felt like I was playing a tabletop game in an MMO.  I can't get enough of the foundry content.  I just wish the few asshats hadn't ruined it for the rest with their ez-XP grind foundry missions.
  • emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    The foundry to me is always bugged, untested content.  The experience is almost always horrible and though the authors usually have good intent, they end up with  bad grammar, bad storylines, and simplistic content.  Even the highest rated foundries are like playing a pre alpha game, text is missing, mobs bug out, and sometimes the whole scenario is bugged too much to complete. I like the idea of player made content but there is a reason we have beta tests and bug reports before releasing content.  I applaud the effort but I think it was way too much too fast.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Funny I haven't found a single bug in any foundry content I have done.  And I have done a LOT.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Burntvet Perhaps I will need to make it a bit more simple. I blame Cryptic for not figuring out people would do this in the first place. Did they not think people would build maps to farm? People in other games that had player generated content did the very same thing. And further, did they not expect people to make maps to farm, when they could pile up stacks of ID scrolls and various potions and other things that people would otherwise have to buy from the shop? Of course players will. So you need to make sure your tool set doesn't allow that too much. And further, when people were beating up the ogre boxes, they did need to buy anything out of the cash shop, when if they played normally, there would be more of that (healing potions, rez scrolls and the like). But they must have noticed they were not seeing the anticipated sales of particular items, associated with normal gameplay needs, and thus the reduced revenue, and figured out why. And not before. And thus the nerfs. When it is a PWE game, it is all about the money. Always.

would you prefer companies leave exploitable content exploitable? I think not...

I think he's unrealistically expecting all developers to anticipate all potential problems, exploits, bugs, and design flaws and ship without any of those.

No... just in regards to the foundry. As I mentioned in other posts, each time there is a player made content system, people do maps/missions to specifically farm items or whatever. Considering the SAME exact thing happened/happens in STO, another Cryptic game, it would be pretty silly for Cryptic to NOT see it coming. But Crypyic never learns, do they? There are always plenty of thing MMO developers can't see coming. But having highly exploitable foundry system is not one of them. (Did they run any real testing on it at all? I mean, really.)
  • jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

I am going to call bullshit on the ambient sound part. Just effing bullshit.  I have been in the Foundry since late Alpha testing, and the ambient sounds have NEVER worked.  They still do not work, and we have gotten no information from Cryptic about the status of getting in.  They just say "we are aware of the issue"...that was a month ago and nothing since.

And they have not even released a bug patch for the Foundry for weeks, despite having bugs that have been around for months.  There are some crippling bugs that they just wont even acknowledge, like quests dropping out of players journals being a major one.

I love the idea of the Foundry, and what you can do with it, but until Cryptic starts to take is seriously, it will go no where fast.

• anwaranwar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    I'd like to see this feature added to some top games.   Neverwinter is just too pay big-time to win for me to continue playing.   I really miss subscription games where the devs designed according to what would be fun and not how to make the store sucessful.
  • reddog000reddog000 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Do not let F2P stop you from playing or at least trying this game.

-------------------------------------------
    Control is an illusion!

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Funny I haven't found a single bug in any foundry content I have done.  And I have done a LOT.

Well, I've only built one quest, and so 100% of the quests I've done caught a bug and are now useless. So you can probably see why I'm discouraged to try again until I hear nothing more about bugs. But I still believe the Foundry is a very good thing.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

It's actually quite brilliant. Content made my players with similar rewards to open world It's quite nice. It enhances gameplay eliminates the "there's not enough to do in end game" complaints and it allows RPers to do some great things with their own inner circles. It's a fun thing.

Wish other mmo's added this to their games because it would be much appreciated in every title.

Originally posted by anwar
    I'd like to see this feature added to some top games.   Neverwinter is just too pay big-time to win for me to continue playing.   I really miss subscription games where the devs designed according to what would be fun and not how to make the store sucessful.

Except its not. My main already has 70% of the max tier runes and aside from the Founder pack, I haven't paid a cent in the Zen market.

All that the Zen market does is saves time. The best gear in this game is very achievable within a month or two of reaching end game.  

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    This is really cool and would be something I wouldnt mind seeing in every game I play. Even though f2p keeps me from playing this game, the foundry idea gets a plus one from me. Pretty cool guys.

F2P is the main reason to play the game.  Subscriptions are dieing and within 10 more years it will become an obsolete business model so better embrace it!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• b00gsb00gs Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    This is really cool and would be something I wouldnt mind seeing in every game I play. Even though f2p keeps me from playing this game, the foundry idea gets a plus one from me. Pretty cool guys.

F2P is the main reason to play the game.  Subscriptions are dieing and within 10 more years it will become an obsolete business model so better embrace it!

F2P wouldn't be bad if it didnt cost you more in the long run then sub based games.  Paying real cash to respec after they lock you into a spec when you start?  No thanks I'll pass.  Have to buy keys with cash in order to open boxes, ill pass.  F2P can be good if the f2p model is made decently.

This game F2P model is nothing short then Highway Robbery.  40 bucks for a mount?  Last time I was ingame you could actually buy stat gear with zen.  Pay to win?  No thanks ill pass on that too.  You suck so bad you can't gear up?  Well just buy "enchantments" that will bloat your gear for you.  I have been playing the "modern" mmo since AC and EQ way back in 1999 and I have to say, the route these games are taking is sad and pathetic.  

Give us a sub based option along with the cash shop and I'd be happy.  Something similiar to Sony's F2P models.  I rather like Turbines F2P model on lotro also.

• b00gsb00gs Member Posts: 8
    Don't even get me started on the Astral Diamond inflation problem.  Honestly, Millions to buy anything is just flat out retarded for any game economy.  F2P does nothing but breed disgusting chinese farmers. 
    Originally posted by b00gs
    Originally posted by azzamasin

F2P wouldn't be bad if it didnt cost you more in the long run then sub based games.  Paying real cash to respec after they lock you into a spec when you start?  No thanks I'll pass.  Have to buy keys with cash in order to open boxes, ill pass.  F2P can be good if the f2p model is made decently.

This game F2P model is nothing short then Highway Robbery.  40 bucks for a mount?  Last time I was ingame you could actually buy stat gear with zen.  Pay to win?  No thanks ill pass on that too.  You suck so bad you can't gear up?  Well just buy "enchantments" that will bloat your gear for you.  I have been playing the "modern" mmo since AC and EQ way back in 1999 and I have to say, the route these games are taking is sad and pathetic.  

Give us a sub based option along with the cash shop and I'd be happy.  Something similiar to Sony's F2P models.  I rather like Turbines F2P model on lotro also.

See, this is the kind of uninformed rubbish that clutters this forum.

1) You can buy feat respecs with Astral Diamonds. And its not that many either at max level. 5 days of full refining of AD will get you a respec. Or the sale of a single T2 item.

2) Lock boxes have nothing in them that you cant acquire an equivalent of normally. The main drawcards are the pet and the mount, which are more for show.

3) The mounts are account wide and you can get an equivalent speed by simply playing the game. This is just cosmetic.

My character is nearly fully decked out after 2 weeks and spending no real life money (aside from the Founders pack, which didn't help with obtaining end game gear). The mount saved me about 500k AD, although I can earn that many AD in half a day of play at level 60.

Its pay to advance quicker. Not pay to win. And if you don't feel like investing time in character development, why bother playing MMOs at all?

The only thing that will take any sort of time investment is leveling runestones to the final tier. Which doesnt really boost the stats by an overly impressive amount (so you can use Rank 6 while you grind) and you can boost your chances by earning AD in the meanwhile to buy coalescent wards with.

• LigiLigi Member UncommonPosts: 119

Neverwinter would still be a great without the foundry, but, with this feature, the future looks very bright for this game. 

Played some foundry content and I was really surprised with the quality of stories, maps and content already made by players. I can only imagine the Foundry content in a year from now.

Keep it going Cryptic, finally we have fresh air on the mmorpg genre.

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94
    Can I use the Foundry to make an encounter in a brothel?  

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by Postal13
    Can I use the Foundry to make an encounter in a brothel?  

I did a Foundry quest with dancing girls and strippers, so I imagine you can easily enough create a brothel.  Go for it!

• kyeo138kyeo138 Member Posts: 1

I made one with a brothel if you want to check it out :)  It's a quick little quest with a snarky tone to it.

"Those Steamy Neverwinter Nights"

NW-DI8PEGHIB