Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the promos don't tell you about Neverwinter

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by bound4hades
    Originally posted by danwest58
    Originally posted by Stromm
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

Find a healer friend and play as a team would be my advice. The health stone thing is a cost of soloing by the sound of it.

[mod edit] He's probably spec'd full damage which isn't a problem. However when my character has more HP than any other character in the game and is being healed for almost 50% of it's life in a single potion I believe that the OP is incorrectly informing forum goers on exactly what's happening with him in-game.

Actually Mtibbs he is informing people quite well and honestly.  [mod edit] The OP is right that this game's Mall is one of the most expensive in the business.  Come on tell me I am wrong.  They are charging you what $40 for a mount for christ sakes.  $200 for the game and a Drizzit look a like.  Its a Joke, the only reason I am watching this game is because my Wife wants to play it because its F2P and for her 3 hours a week of free time she wants to go on the cheap side.  However She looks at the mall and LOL because these developers are insane.  The OP is 100% correct, its an expensive way to do business and very risky its keeping a lot of people a way who would be willing to pay for a subscript or even spend a little money in the cash shop.  However not $40 for a mount.  $10 for a Bag.  [mod edit]

[mod edit] I understand completely that the founders pack costs $200 dollars; but you're also ignoring the spider mount and the AD that comes with it in addition to the renegade drow. 

[mod edit]. The mounts in the beginning of the game for people who don't want to spend $40.00 only cost 5 gold. These mounts only cost ~3,000,000 AD to upgrade which isn't hard to achieve if you're actively playing the game and constantly putting items on the market. Many of my friends and myself included have raised a significant amount of AD to be able to achieve our mounts. In addition, while the mounts are a convenience. I never really used my mount through the majority of the game anyways. Mainly because the quests were very short distance from one another and only took a moment or two to run between each point.

If you want to pay for the convenience in which the cash shop is. Yes, expect to pay a large sum of money. However, none of it is required or even necessary throughout your journey in the game. [mod edit] There's no point or need during your time within the game to be forced into paying for the health stones.

If your comparing it to P2W games, its on par, but as for many other F2P  games, it's way more expensive.

[mod edit]. If you have no control over your spending habits you're in for a major wake-up call in F2P games. They're designed to for impulse buying and Neverwinter does this poorly. The content is excessively easy, the mounts are not remotely close to being needed for travel, exp boosters and loot boosters aren't even needed because of the insane drop rate within the game. Even the end game progression is significantly easier to play than most F2P titles. It requires no investment for the cash shop. I personally believe Cryptic failed in producing a proper cash shop to meet the style of the game.

Alls I am going to say is this.  I understand way more than you will ever understand. I been around MMOs since 1998, i have played over 24 MMOs.  I played Subscription, F2P, B2P, P2W and I understand all them models, I have 10 years IT field experience so I have a deep understanding of what it takes to develop applications (Games, IMS programs, accounting the whole 9 yards) I am also working on a CIS BS degree that's setup so I can go for an MBA.  I work daily with business needs, marketing and a whole host of there accepts of the business because my job demands it and I want to end up executive management someday.

What the truth of ALL business boils down to is this.  Customers and their Customer base.  That's it.  Thats all it is.  You can have a small customer base, however to survive you have to charge more like PW is doing or make a very cheap low quality product.  PW will have a very small customer base that will be willing to spend $200 on a game, $40 on a mount or 125 days of collecting in game AD to buy a mount.  The OP is right on calling them out, its what customers are expected to do.   A business is expected to listen and make changes or not listen and possibly loose the customer.  This game will not survive long on trying to be the BMW of MMOs.  This game is not that cheap to do that.  If you want a Cheap MMO to charge an arm and a leg for in game stuff look at Evony and Lords of Ultima.  Those are cheap games which you can do it.  

Honestly Cryptic fails at MMOs in general.  This is a popular game, well Neverwinter nights 1 and 2 are.  Thats why people are coming to it.  Don't believe me how popular was STO?  Not very popular.  The OP is right to point out the faults of PW, Honestly it should have just been a sub based game with a much cheaper cash shop.  A little secret here from a friend of mine who is very good at marketing and likes D&D.  The should have come up with 10 to 20 different mounts from the D&D world and charged $2 to $5 for them.  First people would have gotten a little more RP value out of it.  Second it does not look as bad as charging $40 for a mount.  Third more people would be buying little things like that because there will be players that want to ride on a Fiery hellboar with Morningstars, or riding on a nightmare.  But thats just knowing your target market which PW/cryptic does do well at all.   

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • pressedNutzpressedNutz Member Posts: 36

I've spent zero bucks and have enough Astral Diamonds from playing casually to get some zen on the exchange if I need to.

There is very little reason to buy the healing stones as far as I can tell even at lvl 40.

The mad dragon boss is crazy broken, and if you're a trickster rogue and use the backstab teleport you probably already sent a nasty bug report to cryptic like me. The worst moment in a MMO in recent history was when I used the skill to teleport right in front of the dragon just b4 it used its breath weapon.

As for the "what the promos don't tell you". Well all I can say is practice makes perfect. Perhaps you're still a tad green when it comes to MMOs, but over all Neverwinter is really easy unless you have a spawn bug where 8 mobs are all stacked on the same spot were it looked like there was just one.

If you're spending money to stay alive in a MMO I suggest that maybe these games are not for you or you should play with helpful players who can show you how to avoid taking lots of damage.

• MMOPapaMMOPapa Member Posts: 121
    Can we minimize the quoting to just the last post you're replying to? This page is filled with 80% quotes... we know what you said; it's on the page five times. :D

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

Find a healer friend and play as a team would be my advice. The health stone thing is a cost of soloing by the sound of it.

I'd say getting a healer companion would be a smart choice as well.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by wordiz

I've spent 30 bucks. 20 for some bag/bank space and crap, another 10 for a respec once I had things figured out. I see no reason to spend any money any time soon. People say you need to spend money on enchantments later, but they aren't that expensive in the auction so I'll just buy them in there no problem. If it gets to crazy of a grind to get major enchantments I just won't get them. I haven't even slotted my enchantments yet and I have good enough gear to run the highest dungeon. Maybe if they add some cool cosmetic stuff that isn't so taxed, and bring the prices down on mounts I'd buy one, but for now I'm doing just fine. Minor benefit in PVP/PVE to having a faster mount. 

My biggest complaints with the game is the lazy community (doing afk pvp glory farming, running just enough to farm gear, never downing bosses unless they can just rush the boss and ignore the adds. If there are too many adds, people will just wipe and leave), the trolls and the ninja looters, but this isn't a problem with the game, it's a problem with society.

I personally feel that IF I were to EVER spend money on this game ( I most likely won't). It would be to purchase additional bag space. However, even then I can simply spend my AD that I have to purchase the bags on the auction house for ~600,000 AD. [mod edit]

Thanks for bringing that up, and you're totally right btw. At end game you'll get tired of rolling on greens and just be rolling on enchantments, runes, purples and blues, which doesn't take much space at all. Not only did I realize I should have just AH'd them (and they're only gonna go down because it happens in all PW games, selling bags being an easier way to exchange currency), but I also realized I didn't really need the bag expansion at all. LOL. So my 30 could have prolly just been 20 and I'd still be doing fine: more than formidable in pvp, and able to fill a slot in any dungeon party.

Also: had I specc'd right (good builds will be up on the net more and more) from the get go, I'd say you could comfortably get by with just some bank space, especially if you have access to a guild bank, and maybe not even need that. Though the prices for some things are high, it's a modest f2p model.

• bound4hadesbound4hades Member UncommonPosts: 83
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

[mod edit]. He's probably spec'd full damage which isn't a problem. However when my character has more HP than any other character in the game and is being healed for almost 50% of it's life in a single potion I believe that the OP is incorrectly informing forum goers on exactly what's happening with him in-game.

Maybe he doesn't play at the same lvl of play as you? Some people have to work harder to achieve the same as others.

Well there's many things that help assist a player through the process of leveling within Neverwinter. You have potions, you have the option of the health stones, and you have healer or tank companions to assist you, you even have dodge skills or block skills to completely avoid damage. While I know people don't play the game at the rate in which I play. This doesn't mean that they don't have many ways to negate the damage that the OP is taking.

That might be the case, but he maybe doesn't know or understand yet and your being kind of ridiculous about it. It's not time to be a jerk, try mentoring.

I'm not going to try to mentor a person who's only thought of fixing their issue is throwing money at the problem. However, I believe I've given enough info in my posts and even my own thread that state that the game requires no money investment within the game.

Again, you just don't get it. He may not be as good as you and his only answer to this point is to spend money. Now I hope he has read what you've said to this point and he stops spending money and does well. Not everyone is as good as you and you need to realize that. You just clump this guy into the lazy category and don't give the benefit of the doubt.

It is absolutely lazy to go from playing the game one moment. Struggling with the content the next moment and then throwing cash at the cash shop in order to make the content "easier" than it already is.

You are the perfect example of whats wrong with so many gamers these days. I run a long time medium sized guild and have had and still have all walks of life come through it. Some people are great gamers by nature, some are just not and helping them is what we do as a guild. It's natural for some to fall into the paying for help in F2P if they don't have a guild to run with and are doing it solo.

You have natural skills, but no real understanding of people outside of your world. If they don't get it, they must be lazy. Your passion and understanding would be better spent helping others instead of calling others names without knowing them.

• Originally posted by MMOPapa
    Can we minimize the quoting to just the last post you're replying to? This page is filled with 80% quotes... we know what you said; it's on the page five times. :D

Sorry Papa. I'm on my iPad and being too lazy to delete. I also usually end up deleting too much and then the text I enter ends up inside the quote

[mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

[mod edit]. He's probably spec'd full damage which isn't a problem. However when my character has more HP than any other character in the game and is being healed for almost 50% of it's life in a single potion I believe that the OP is incorrectly informing forum goers on exactly what's happening with him in-game.

Maybe he doesn't play at the same lvl of play as you? Some people have to work harder to achieve the same as others.

Well there's many things that help assist a player through the process of leveling within Neverwinter. You have potions, you have the option of the health stones, and you have healer or tank companions to assist you, you even have dodge skills or block skills to completely avoid damage. While I know people don't play the game at the rate in which I play. This doesn't mean that they don't have many ways to negate the damage that the OP is taking.

That might be the case, but he maybe doesn't know or understand yet and your being kind of ridiculous about it. It's not time to be a jerk, try mentoring.

I'm not going to try to mentor a person who's only thought of fixing their issue is throwing money at the problem. However, I believe I've given enough info in my posts and even my own thread that state that the game requires no money investment within the game.

Again, you just don't get it. He may not be as good as you and his only answer to this point is to spend money. Now I hope he has read what you've said to this point and he stops spending money and does well. Not everyone is as good as you and you need to realize that. You just clump this guy into the lazy category and don't give the benefit of the doubt.

It is absolutely lazy to go from playing the game one moment. Struggling with the content the next moment and then throwing cash at the cash shop in order to make the content "easier" than it already is.

You are the perfect example of whats wrong with so many gamers these days. I run a long time medium sized guild and have had and still have all walks of life come through it. Some people are great gamers by nature, some are just not and helping them is what we do as a guild. It's natural for some to fall into the paying for help in F2P if they don't have a guild to run with and are doing it solo.

You have natural skills, but no real understanding of people outside of your world. If they don't get it, they must be lazy. Your passion and understanding would be better spent helping others instead of calling others names without knowing them.

He got good by playing a lot and trying to get better, not spending money. I'm not gonna go saying it's my business what you do with your cash, or defend anyones attitude towards others, but paying to win is paying to win. js.

Originally posted by wordiz

I've spent 30 bucks. 20 for some bag/bank space and crap, another 10 for a respec once I had things figured out. I see no reason to spend any money any time soon. People say you need to spend money on enchantments later, but they aren't that expensive in the auction so I'll just buy them in there no problem. If it gets to crazy of a grind to get major enchantments I just won't get them. I haven't even slotted my enchantments yet and I have good enough gear to run the highest dungeon. Maybe if they add some cool cosmetic stuff that isn't so taxed, and bring the prices down on mounts I'd buy one, but for now I'm doing just fine. Minor benefit in PVP/PVE to having a faster mount. 

My biggest complaints with the game is the lazy community (doing afk pvp glory farming, running just enough to farm gear, never downing bosses unless they can just rush the boss and ignore the adds. If there are too many adds, people will just wipe and leave), the trolls and the ninja looters, but this isn't a problem with the game, it's a problem with society.

I personally feel that IF I were to EVER spend money on this game ( I most likely won't). It would be to purchase additional bag space. However, even then I can simply spend my AD that I have to purchase the bags on the auction house for ~600,000 AD. [mod edit]

Honestly Players going into an Epic dungeon with no pots is not lazy at all.  When is the last time you played an MMO where that was required?  Hum I can answer that one.  WOW BC.  Since WOTLK almost no players bring pots into an instance maybe they do in raids however most dont.  So Your calling players LAZY that don't know the game mechanic yet?  Good call but wrong.  Its not laziness as much as it is adapted behavior.  1 of 2 things will happen, people will not adapt and complain about it causing developers to change it.  Or 2 people will adapt to the new style.  Its not laziness for all you want to think and slap on people.

Honestly I have not gotten there yet, only played about 12 hours on a few different toons.  I will tell you its not really hard to adjust to the combat over all, do I like it well kinda not really.  I am not an Action MMORPG type of person.  To me the game feels too much like Diablo 3, thats my opinion.   I will be honest there will be a lot of people that do not like it nor will like the whole needing to use potions all the time deal.  It comes down to the fact that most MMOs until recently have all had Classic MMO style gaming where if you are getting attacked your not going to be able to manual dodge it other than in certain instances.  Basically if bowman is pointing a bow at me in WOW he will hit me, in Neverwinter I need to get out of the area it will be effective.  

I believe I've played every Cryptic MMO that has been released. It's true they're known for creating a product and simply moving onto the next one without a second though. Perfect World is a large company and it's growing rapidly and believe me or not. They have never founded themselves on making their cash shop "cheap" for their player base. Check out Battle of the Immortal or War of the Immortals if you don't believe me. I still believe completely that cryptic has utterly failed in achieving a proper cash shop from my experience with ?many other cash driven games.

Your also not taking into one other major factor.   The Dungeons and Dragons community.  Don't be surprised if there is major backlash from them on this game.  I will be honest you can talk about what ever you want to about how people are lazy blah blah blah.  Fact is if enough people got pissed off and contacted wizards of the coast they could pull their weight on this game.  

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Seriously, the others are right. I am by no means a hardcore gamer and I have never needed a Healthstone. In fact I usually manage with just the potions from the previous tier while I stockpile the next tiers.

You do need to learn to play. Or at least learn to dodge! Hint, the red stuff is bad.

I believe I've played every Cryptic MMO that has been released. It's true they're known for creating a product and simply moving onto the next one without a second though. Perfect World is a large company and it's growing rapidly and believe me or not. They have never founded themselves on making their cash shop "cheap" for their player base. Check out Battle of the Immortal or War of the Immortals if you don't believe me. I still believe completely that cryptic has utterly failed in achieving a proper cash shop from my experience with ?many other cash driven games.

Your also not taking into one other major factor.   The Dungeons and Dragons community.  Don't be surprised if there is major backlash from them on this game.  I will be honest you can talk about what ever you want to about how people are lazy blah blah blah.  Fact is if enough people got pissed off and contacted wizards of the coast they could pull their weight on this game.  

Don't even get me started with how this game resembles nothing of the actual Neverwinter. DND by no means is a casual game in this aspect and many times people were able to lose their character on a tough campaign if they were unlucky enough. I'd love to see how people would complain in this game if it truly played by the DND ruleset.

Hint Hint.  This is 2013 not 1998.  Peoples lives demand more effort now than they did in 1998.  The Average MMO gamer is 34 years old, with a family, career, and other requirements that require that take their time away from GAMES..  Whether you like it or not the same hardcore rulesets that USE TO BE are no longer valid in todays world. [mod edit]

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414

Alright, finished cleaning.

Please remain civil with one another.

To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]

Don't even get me started with how this game resembles nothing of the actual Neverwinter. DND by no means is a casual game in this aspect and many times people were able to lose their character on a tough campaign if they were unlucky enough. I'd love to see how people would complain in this game if it truly played by the DND ruleset.

Hint Hint.  This is 2013 not 1998.  Peoples lives demand more effort now than they did in 1998.  The Average MMO gamer is 34 years old, with a family, career, and other requirements that require that take their time away from GAMES..  Whether you like it or not the same hardcore rulesets that USE TO BE are no longer valid in todays world. [mod edit]

There are a lot of people (myself included) that were hardcore gamers for years, or artists, or travelers...or whatever...prior to settling down and starting a family. Many have to take much of their precious time away from hobbies and passions to focus on that family. It's what a responsible adult/parent does. However, you can't whine and get the same skill at playing guitar or the same level of success as some guy that gets to jam and travel and do whatever cuz they don't have kids.  You don't get the same gallery shows as another artist without kids, the same parties as others, the same trips, or concerts...you miss out on a lot of personal experience to invest in the life experiences of your offspring.

My point is: why should games be any different than any other hobby/sport/artform/passion. If you don't have the time to dedicate to it, you progress at a slower pace. Regardless if you are the primary demographic for said media (which you aren't btw) it still shouldn't cater to your lack of dedication, especially not a MMO. When you were young and had the advantage of irresponsibilty and freedom you weren't complaining then. No point in complaining now. All this self entitlement now a days, especially in the Western MMO market, is astounding.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I don't mean to defend neverwinters Cash shop.. It's pretty freaking awful but really..

Using a healthstone twice per battle? Christ, you must really suck.

Learn to dodge/block, i rarely ever use two potions during a fight and I'm running T1/T2 content right now.

never bought a thing from the cash shop and doing just fine.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by Agoden

I don't mean to defend neverwinters Cash shop.. It's pretty freaking awful but really..

Learn to dodge/block, i rarely ever use two potions during a fight and I'm running T1/T2 content right now.

Thats what I was thinking.  I've only had 1 pve death and I've gotten a DC to 34, a TR to 27 and a CW to 20.  The one death was to the dragon in the dungeon you go to in your 30's (Mad Dragon something or other).  They really need to fix that asap, btw.  Other than that, I've had no problems soloing or in groups as potions drop fairly frequently as loot.  I suppose if you're going to do some "hardcore" raiding you might want one of the zen healthstones, but other than that they aren't needed.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• CavemanBECavemanBE Member UncommonPosts: 78
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]

@OP:

[mod edit] He's probably spec'd full damage which isn't a problem. However when my character has more HP than any other character in the game and is being healed for almost 50% of it's life in a single potion I believe that the OP is incorrectly informing forum goers on exactly what's happening with him in-game.

Not Always dude  lol. Your so full off......

• CavemanBECavemanBE Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    Originally posted by Agoden

Thats what I was thinking.  I've only had 1 pve death and I've gotten a DC to 34, a TR to 27 and a CW to 20.  The one death was to the dragon in the dungeon you go to in your 30's (Mad Dragon something or other).  They really need to fix that asap, btw.  Other than that, I've had no problems soloing or in groups as potions drop fairly frequently as loot.  I suppose if you're going to do some "hardcore" raiding you might want one of the zen healthstones, but other than that they aren't needed.

Yea w8 until your around 39 and than go to Gray wolfs :p (If your not carful bam 1 hit lol)

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Since this came up several times: Just WHERE do you exchange AD for Zen ? The AH ? Or is there a dedicated NPC ?