Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE/Darkfall only decent sandbox options at the moment?

xKopogeroxxKopogerox Member Posts: 68

Both are P2P, but I doubt they justify the subscribtion. Are they only decent sandbox choice, thu?

I've been also thinking of going back to Ultima Online. [mod edit]. I'm also willing to start even a browser based, that's how desperate I'm.

Starcraft oldschool aka wise/04. SWG/UO aka Wise HeRo, Light Jedi Knight pre-cu (Bria)

Comments

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Have you looked at Wurm online?

It's the best sandbox MMO to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cxSN5zRarI

^ good trailer for it.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

TBH, Don't Starve is a far better sandbox than those two.  Not MMO (not even multiplayer) but plenty of fun.  Also considerably more sandboxy, given that you can manipulate the world.   Although not quite as sandboxy as Minecraft (and WURM too, from what I understand.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

EVE has a free trail 14 through them or find player and they'll happily give you a 21 day one (including me :P).

Not sure if DF has trail still or not.  Either way there are other options but most aren't even close to finished games in anyway.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    EVE, Wurm and UO are the 3 best for me atm. Darkfall I just can't get into.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by xKopogerox

Both are P2P, but I doubt they justify the subscribtion. Are they only decent sandbox choice, thu?

I've been also thinking of going back to Ultima Online. [mod edit]. I'm also willing to start even a browser based, that's how desperate I'm.

Seriously OP?

Age of Wushu is the best option, if you would prefer people over spaceships. Most innovative mmorpg since EVE. The best I've played. 

Hop on it.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Mortal Online is a good sandbox game, and has a free to play model that is essentially an extended free trial given the skill limitations in place for free players.

There are also some other games, like Wurm, Ryzom, and Xsyon to look at.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Please define sandbox.  

Though judging by the fact that you picked EvE and darkfall you're looking for one with territory control and land ownership.   And game mechanics that favor predators over other playstyles.  Which means you picked the best two for the most part.   

HOWEVER if you're willing to go into the browser space, especially empire building you'll open yourself up to all sorts of interesting.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

For what it's worth, those are the only two titles that I am currently subbed to. I enjoy the hell out of both of them. This will not be changing for the foreseeable future.

I love having two MMO homes.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Not meaning to dis Darkfall. In my opinion it is NOT a decent sandbox option. It's either a theme park without any rides or a sandbox with no buckets or shovels. 
    Originally posted by Deznts
    Not meaning to dis Darkfall. In my opinion it is NOT a decent sandbox option. It's either a theme park without any rides or a sandbox with no buckets or shovels. 

DF was pretty lousy, but the "sand" is definitely there.  Buildable cities, freeform advancement, player-driven economy, territory control.  It's not the sandiest sandbox, but it's far more sandbox than themepark.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    There are no good sandboxes atm.
  • YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I wouldn't call Darkfall any good tbh, so it's down to EvE Online. I've grown fed of EvE after some 7 years tho, not playing it anymore either.

There's other titles that want to be a sandbox, but none of them really meets my criteria. Territorial warfare and ressource-control being on the top of my list.

• Originally posted by Axehilt
    Not meaning to dis Darkfall. In my opinion it is NOT a decent sandbox option. It's either a theme park without any rides or a sandbox with no buckets or shovels. 

DF was pretty lousy, but the "sand" is definitely there.  Buildable cities, freeform advancement, player-driven economy, territory control.  It's not the sandiest sandbox, but it's far more sandbox than themepark.

Sandbox isn't complete without tools

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Uncharted Waters Online is a good sandbox.  So is Puzzle Pirates; some people like to dispute that it's a sandbox, but it's definitely an MMORPG and it's definitely not a theme park.  I haven't checked up on A Tale in the Desert in quite a while, but that used to be a good sandbox that actually had a lot of sand.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Originally posted by Yalexy

I wouldn't call Darkfall any good tbh, so it's down to EvE Online. I've grown fed of EvE after some 7 years tho, not playing it anymore either.

There's other titles that want to be a sandbox, but none of them really meets my criteria. Territorial warfare and ressource-control being on the top of my list.

If you're looking for a territorial warfare and resource-control game, that's fine.  But neither of those are essential, defining traits of sandbox games.

Sandbox isn't complete without tools

What would you think of a child standing in a sandbox telling you the sandbox isn't a complete sandbox without a pail and shovel?  Pretty silly, right?

A sandbox is a sandbox.

Tools can absolutely make a sandbox better, but all you need for a sandbox is the sand (malleable game elements.)

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I've jumped off the darkfall wagon, and I've never been one to think everyone should like it or play it, but it's the most sandbox out there. Everything you use or touch is crafted. The world is defined by player guilds building and holding forts and towns. Alliances, trading and territory is all driven by natural player poliltics.

I know you could make a game more sandbox, but I don't think there's another game out there that is. SWG was in some ways, but not in others. Nothing else was as much sand.

Asdar

• toxicmangotoxicmango Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I wouldn't count EVE as a sandbox.  The devs had the game and events rigged to benefit themselves and their buddies.  If things are rigged then it's not a sandbox.  
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

DarkFall Online you can give it a try.

DarkFall, has had a few issues since launch like minor rollbacks, server crashes but its getting fixed and so far pretty fun pvp wise, and even cheaters get perma banned faster by the unholybanhammer.

http://www.darkfallonline.com

You can in my opinion forget about about age of wushu simply because of the fact that I have been playing the game since Beta, they get greedy with the cash shop wanting VIP if a person pays, having to pay extra for cosmetics for even looking decent, and then having to pay for mount which costs you anywhere from $20-$30 a month or so.

On top of this they are not listening to feedback, their website isn't SSL secure but they claim its secure, and they banned a bunch of players accounts for weeks without reason gave everyone 10 day vip after players were banned for two weeks and lost their guilds, and school positions becuase of their mistake with dealing with RMT players.

Threads posted on their forums also removed or locked in general the name of their comapny is snail games for a reason because nothing seems to get done and if it does its slow.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Face of Mankind. The most Sandbox sandbox out there.

Perhaps one of the greatest Sandbox MMO's ever made, and flew under everyones radar. It was such an addicting game...

I had some of my favorite moments in my history of gaming in that. Being an illegal arms dealer. Tricking the police & escaping. Just generally psych'ing out people in the Police zones by whipping out my gun then putting it away.

Also, the dirty cops. Prison breaks. Raiding other factions HQ's. Taking over cities. Random Alien infestations that forced everyone to work together, or we'd be overrun.

There was fight clubs in peoples houses, and just the way housing worked was wonderful.

One of my favorite moments is, I can remember running away from some cops or so(I was a Merc, I had my target and got him), warping into my House and seeing two guys standing there. They had hacked my apartment and were waiting for me. They were from a rival faction, and made some snarky comments, then mowed me down.

Full loot PVP. Player run entirely. No real restrictions on what you can do. Then they released it to retail, with a monthly fee and well, it just kinda flopped because it wasn't ready.

One fun aspect is that if you forget to buy a Clone...your character can perma-die.

I remember one time when some Police wanted to check my PP(Penalty Points, you get for killing someone), I was /dancing at the moment and I said I had to wait for the animation to finish. Then took off like a bolt of lightning as soon as it did, guns flying off in the backround as I ran for a teleporter and then ran from one to another, teleporting to a bunch of different places to throw them off my trail.

Ah, the memories of the game that I played like an addict. IT was sad when it went retail, I tried it though, but barely anyone bought the game, and so it became a ghost town. IT just wasn't ready to sell yet! If they had just waited...

One time we took of Manhattan from the Police, and then we forced them outta New York too. They were confined to their HQ. We raided that, but met much resistance, and eventually were wiped out after a many hour long battle.

It was never a pretty game, nor even a game with good shooter mechanics. But completely player run MMO's...something so fun about them, especially if people play them right.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95

EVE is the best all around sandbox as far as combat, crafting, economy and empire buildings goes 90% of what happens in the game and is in the game item wise comes from players. You will have to like sci fi and spaceships though. ide highly recommend taking up the free trial.

However if you want F2P Age of Wushu is also a really great sandbox game. It ticks al the main boxes combat, crafting, territorial wars and a player driven economy.

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Mkilbride

Perhaps one of the greatest Sandbox MMO's ever made, and flew under everyones radar. It was such an addicting game...

It didn't fly under our radar, actually.  A lot of people here tried it at launch.  I actually thought it might be interesting, myself, given the feature list.  Then I actually played it.

It was so bad it was essentially unplayable, and I don't say that lightly.  The game switched owners a bunch of time early on too, further destroying confidence in the game.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by Kurush

It didn't fly under our radar, actually.  A lot of people here tried it at launch.  I actually thought it might be interesting, myself, given the feature list.  Then I actually played it.

It was so bad it was essentially unplayable, and I don't say that lightly.  The game switched owners a bunch of time early on too, further destroying confidence in the game.

You are aware it's actually still in the hand of the original creators, just publishers changed, right?

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

Originally posted by Kurush

You are aware it's actually still in the hand of the original creators, just publishers changed, right?

Is that so?

From what I recall, Duplex's operations essentially came to a complete stop on two separate occasions.  The game shut down pretty quickly after original launch.  A relaunch was promised and then cancelled.  And a second relaunch brought the game up again.  I didn't really keep track of things much beyond that.  I simply assumed the current incarnation was owned by a different group.  I'll take your word for it, though, if you say that's not the case.

My broader point was that people actually gave this game a chance.  In fact, a lot of the sandbox games out there have been given a chance.  Sloppy launches, poor technical execution, and a bunch of other things always ended up hurting them early on, and they only ever achieved a niche playerbase.

But sandbox features are becoming mainstream now.  There are now several games in the pipeline which plan to marry AAA quality production values and sandbox features.  The irony is that none of them are coming from the US.

Age of Wushu has some.  Dragon's Prophet will have a bunch of them.  Then you have ArcheAge.  DP is coming along nicely, and AA has been performing surprisingly well in the very picky KR market.

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Enjoying Darkfall UW atm. Keeping an eye out for Embers of Caerus, Pathfinder Online, Gloria Victis, The Repopulation, World of Darkness. All potentionally good sandbox mmorpgs but years from release. So your options might be slim atm, the near future looks promising :)