Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] WildStar: Why Movement Matters

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In a recent video developer blog, Carbine Studios laid out an amusing but true video about how MMOs need to transcend the WASD keys. In an exclusive interview, we talked with Lead Combat Systems Designer Chris Lynch about how movement will matter in WildStar. Read on and then leave your ideas in the comments.

First off, I asked the guys why movement should get so much attention from MMO players, and the answer was simple: movement in most MMOs is taken for granted, and it serves as a core part of the combat and exploration experience in WildStar.  Every ability involves positioning (from attacks to heals, and of course dodging), so why not show WildStar’s prospective players why movement is not only a key component of the experience, but also different from your run of the mill MMOs?

Read more of Bill Murphy's WildStar: Why Movement Matters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XiveilXiveil Member UncommonPosts: 12

There's one thing I'm so glad I haven't seen in this game, and it really shows how well it's being developed.  Bounce back in movement.  It's something I see more and more in MMOs that are pushed out quickly and while it seems small, it personally drives me insane.

IE you are trying to go up a hill too steep, jump up and slide down according to gravity. This lack of attention to movement in a lot of newer games just has you insta slide as if you were made of dark matter to the bottom of the cliff, or just blip back.  It's as if movement was an afterthought. (just one example of many instances of poorly thought out movement).

But on this, and  your points - yes movement matters quite a bit!

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    This game has me so excited, might be time to finally dust off the ole raid bucket and headset.
  • StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Datastar
    This game has me so excited, might be time to finally dust off the ole raid bucket and headset.

LOL, the ole raid bucket eh? :-)

Edit: I don't think they mean that kind of movement. :-)

• AxewielderxAxewielderx Member Posts: 96
    Not sure why they felt the need to send me an email about this video, yet still have not sent me a beta invite. Please Wildstar, don't send me spam if you ain't going to invite me to play. That is just rude!

If we fail to change the things of today, they will become the lucid nighmares of tommorrow.

• MMOPapaMMOPapa Member Posts: 121

I love their sense of humor while filming DevSpeak, I think it's important for a game to grasp the 'fun' factor of video games instead of being monotone or dead-to-the-world serious while reading skill descriptions with no emotion.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

As much as this game interests me I can't get over the ground marking for all enemy attacks as well as your own, so cheesy, I want to look at my character and the mobs, not the ground.

It's like a safety net for bad players but it bores good players.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I love how good this game is looking so far. It really goes to show Blizzard how real stylized art and animation should look without the bad clipping and sad animation WoW has currently.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Axewielderx
    Not sure why they felt the need to send me an email about this video, yet still have not sent me a beta invite. Please Wildstar, don't send me spam if you ain't going to invite me to play. That is just rude!

because you prolly signed up for their newsletter

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by McGamer
    I love how good this game is looking so far. It really goes to show Blizzard how real stylized art and animation should look without the bad clipping and sad animation WoW has currently.

Funny thing is, a lot of Carbine are the devs who MADE the Vanilla WoW and left to make something new almost immediately after WoW launched and took over the scene.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    The secret info was pretty hilarious. I like that they have a sense of humor.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

As much as this game interests me I can't get over the ground marking for all enemy attacks as well as your own, so cheesy, I want to look at my character and the mobs, not the ground.

You can turn telegraphs off. Also many games have telegraphs now a days, GW2, Neverwinter are some examples. Your just putting yourself at a disadvantage not using them.

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Did you watch the video that directly addresses that and actually see how complex the combat telegraphs can get? I'm kind of glad they're there when enemies can be as random as that dashing one.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    WILDSTAR has nothing new, they are just copying Vanilla Wow and making it in their own world.  They dont even realize that 40 man raids will never work again.  Wildstar will end up a pile of crap because they are just copying Vanilla wow because of nostalgia.  Thats it that is all this game is trying to be.  WOW 2004 
  • JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I really want to like this game, but I do not like what I see about all this movement crap and telegraphed attacks.  I want to be a hero, not spend all my time running away from something.  If I wanted to play a platform game, I'd play Donkey Kong.
  • devacoredevacore Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Wildstar has amazing videos. The team behind it needs to get a gold star on concepts. Once it's released, I hope they earn a gold star on functionality as well. 
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Character movement and tight controls are incredibly important.  How many MMOs released within the last 5 years with this style of wasd movement have come out and immediately people start complaining about 'sluggish' or 'clunky' movement?  I would say almost ALL of them with the exception of GW2, and GW2 even had some issues.

Tight controls, proper ability and global cool down syncing, and fast pace movement will set this game apart from the rest.  Say what you will about this game not adding anything new to the genre - having good game mechanics alone will distinguish it from the rest of the pack.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Is that an exclamation point above his head ? :-O

At any rate I think mmo movement and tab targetting in particular has made me a lazy gamer. I need to keep an awareness of that and not allow myself to be a lazy gamer.

Movement is probably the main reason I like console games over pc games. Now keep in mind I grew up with console and I only play mmo's on pc. If I did play anything but an mmo I always used a controller because movement just feels natural with a ps3 or xbox 360 controller.

Conspiracy Theory Time with King of Hartz : Would this shift in mmo movement have anything to do with what next gen consoles are capable of? Just some food for thought.
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by McGamer

lmao if you really believe that wildstar is going to be completely free of armor/weapon clipping

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Double jump

Double jump everywhere.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Great looking game.  Too bad they are basing end game around boring 400-man raids...  Otherwise, I'd quite like it.
    Originally posted by danwest58
    WILDSTAR has nothing new, they are just copying Vanilla Wow and making it in their own world.  They dont even realize that 40 man raids will never work again.  Wildstar will end up a pile of crap because they are just copying Vanilla wow because of nostalgia.  Thats it that is all this game is trying to be.  WOW 2004 

Name one thing Wildstar copied from Vanilla WoW and I'll name one or more games that WoW copied that exact feature from. Vanilla WoW had NO unique features. It's time everyone realized that they copied everything from their predecessors.

Originally posted by JRRNeiklot
     I want to be a hero, not spend all my time running away from something.

So you want to stand in place and mash buttons...

...please tell me I'm misunderstanding what you're saying; because that sounds... so lame.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by MMOPapa

Name one thing Wildstar copied from Vanilla WoW and I'll name one or more games that WoW copied that exact feature from. Vanilla WoW had NO unique features. It's time everyone realized that they copied everything from their predecessors.

40 and 20 man raid formats, Themepark MMO.  O And they even say they want to go back to old school WOW like raids like they had in NAXX.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/uplink_analysis_raid_sizes.php

Thats all Wild Star is posting about how it wants to be like Vanilla WoW.  If you cannot see it I feel sorry for you.  They are wearing Nostalgia glasses and smoking something.  40 man will never work again. The Facts speak for themselves.  

LOTRO getting ride of raiding all together

SWTOR Raiding 40% of its population raided by March of 2012 most of them 8 man raids

WOW 92% of all WoW raiding guilds are 10 man raiding guilds.  The top raiding guilds like Paragon went from 25 man in Cata to 10 man in MOP

EQ2 mostly 12 man raids you find very few 24 man raids

Rift 6 to 12 guilds per server raid 20 man and many of those consistently trying to fill 20 man spots 

Terra had to scale raids because 20 man raids were not cutting it so they went to a 10/20 man setup

The writing is on the wall if you cannot see I am sorry but tinted glasses does not change the truth

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Not sure why you are so mad. If you really don't like this game don't play it.

Why are you so scared that people might actually like it and play it? It makes no sense to me. It is as if the existence of this game is somehow effecting you life in a negative way.

Originally posted by MMOPapa

40 and 20 man raid formats, Themepark MMO.  O And they even say they want to go back to old school WOW like raids like they had in NAXX.

Everquest (released five years before World of Warcraft) had 54 Man Raids until 2008 where they were downsized to 42 Man Raids... raids of that number were not new.

I don't even know what Themepark MMO means, but it's not a feature... it looks like some silly randomly dubbed name for a sub-genre. Name features please. :)