Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodging and Attack Animations

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I'm tending to spam the left mouse key attack (I'm also using my other attacks on cooldown) and I'm constantly finding myself unable to dash out of the red circles because I'm locked in an attack animation when the mob attack goes off. Shouldn't dash override your current attack and make you run right away? How do I adjust to this?

Thanks!

Comments

• fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by Vigg

spam the left mouse key attack

That's the problem. You don't sit on one place and spam skills, because if you do, eventually the mob will catch you off guard (animation locked) and land a bigger hit. If you could spam attacks and still run out of red areas without penalty, big attacks would never land or would need a very fast activation time giving you almost no time to react to them, which is not fun.

Stop spamming stuff and try to predict the mob behavior, moving in and out of melee range when the situation calls for it.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

I'm tending to spam the left mouse key attack (I'm also using my other attacks on cooldown) and I'm constantly finding myself unable to dash out of the red circles because I'm locked in an attack animation when the mob attack goes off. Shouldn't dash override your current attack and make you run right away? How do I adjust to this?

Thanks!

There are very few things in the game that attack so fast (from the point there red warning graphic appears) that you'll be stuck in animation before you get the chance to dodge.  In fact, the only one I can think off of the top of my head is trappers.  If your getting hit consistently, it's either because your slow or your connection sucks.

Also, no need to spam... Just hold down the mouse button. 

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Some attacks are not possible to avoid, even if you stand still doing nothing (=no animation to be locked in) and move as soon as they red circle appears. This is with 100-120ms and I don't consider myself slow reacting.

As you learn the various attacks, you start to remember which you can avoid and which you should just ignore and take a hit from. Rule of thumb is the larger red circle the more time you have to avoid it.

As an example and because I played many of these: The blacklake skirmish boss has two attacks. One is a small directional one which is unavoidable (by the time the red appears), and the other is a larger full circle aoe which is easy to avoid even if stuck in animation, you can actually walk out of it instead of double tapping.

It is possible to recognize the pattern for certain attacks before the red circles appear, but that require much practise and in more chaotic fights would require a very cool head - This is where Neverwinter combat recognizes player skill.

It is the tradeoff you get from locked in place combat which has some advantages, although it is annoying sometimes it also has its charm if you take up the tactical challenge. I guess you could say, the mob pattern is the first warning, and red circles are the last warning and sometimes just a reminder that you are going to get hit.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Thanks!

use the 'Shift' key and slide out of your current skill.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by fledur

That's the problem. You don't sit on one place and spam skills, because if you do, eventually the mob will catch you off guard (animation locked) and land a bigger hit. If you could spam attacks and still run out of red areas without penalty, big attacks would never land or would need a very fast activation time giving you almost no time to react to them, which is not fun.

Stop spamming stuff and try to predict the mob behavior, moving in and out of melee range when the situation calls for it.

LOL, spamming left mouse button is...how...you...play... any MMO period.  It replaces autoattack.  The game is highly unresponsive because of this retarded rooting system because when you need to move you can't because the damn game keeps attacking when your telling it to move.  And seriously... spamming your abilities is how one plays an MMO.  Having a rooting system and a dodging combat is a horrid combination.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by sibs4455

Thanks!

Too bad even with spamming it one is still stuck in the zone and takes the hit because of how unresponsive it is and that it continues with 2 more attacks before finally moving.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by sibs4455

Thanks!

Too bad even with spamming it one is still stuck in the zone and takes the hit because of how unresponsive it is and that it continues with 2 more attacks before finally moving.

then you need to ask yourself  "am I really this crap at playing games", honestly the combat is so easy to predict, I have already told you how to get out of the 'red circle'.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Lets be honest with ourselves, this is not a real game. They slapped a popular Forgotten Realms title on it and tossed it out there as easy bait. It's almost a straight up flash browser game AND it's free, I'm surprised it even HAS animations. Take everyone's advice, hold down the mouse button to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome, pay a little attention to the simple patterns from larger mobs then collect loot.

Being serious, I understand where you're coming from. They designed the game like that on purpose so you would get hit more then never... get the pun?

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Hmm ok think I am starting to understand this.

When you hold down mousebutton to attack, it seem like the game buffer a number of attacks to be executed before a double tap dodge (I can't be certain of this, but it feels like buffering). This means you are stuck in animation and wont avoid the attack.

I never used shift to dodge before, but when you mentioned it I wanted to try it out. After some tests I must say, it is a world of difference from double tapping. Shift+direction key WILL actually make you dodge instantly as opposed to to double tapping.

So far I am convinced, I just need to change my habits and start shift dodging instead.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Trionicus

Lets be honest with ourselves, this is not a real game. They slapped a popular Forgotten Realms title on it and tossed it out there as easy bait. It's almost a straight up flash browser game AND it's free, I'm surprised it even HAS animations. Take everyone's advice, hold down the mouse button to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome, pay a little attention to the simple patterns from larger mobs then collect loot.

Being serious, I understand where you're coming from. They designed the game like that on purpose so you would get hit more then never... get the pun?

Your comments make me laugh, let me guess you watched a video of the game and figured it all out right?

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Thanks!

Aside from a few daily abilities, all abilities get canceled when you hit that shift key to dodge or block. Make sure you use shift though, not try to double tap. Its less responsive.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by fledur

LOL, spamming left mouse button is...how...you...play... any MMO period.  It replaces autoattack.  The game is highly unresponsive because of this retarded rooting system because when you need to move you can't because the damn game keeps attacking when your telling it to move.  And seriously... spamming your abilities is how one plays an MMO.  Having a rooting system and a dodging combat is a horrid combination.

Actually it works perfectly, and makes PvP fun rather than an ice skating or bunny hopping expedition.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Trionicus

I'd love to see a stream of you doing some of the higher content. 

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I use the shift dodge method. I rarely have any issues with getting caught in the red zone. It does happen, obviously, but it's not the issue that people seem to be making it to be. People just need to be faster.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Hmm.... I am usually playing GW2 and in the habit of double tapping to dodge and this is what I am doing with Neverwinter.  I do get caught in the red often.  Using the shift just doesnt feel right for me I guess.   Also, Im probably just too slow. I seem to get caught by many of these attacks.  In PvP  my cleric is always getting killed.  I just think I'm getting too old for these fast action games.