Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to avoid MOP silliness?

JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
Okay, so the banana/poop flinging/dancing monkey crap annoys the hell out of me.  I haven't played WOW since Xmas, thinking of coming back because I'm bored.  Is there any way to avoid at least a good portion of the silly shit in MOP?   A list of silly zones and instances/quests to avoid would be a good start.  Or am I wishing for too much?

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Hmm. If you just play it as a game, it might not seem so silly.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot
    Okay, so the banana/poop flinging/dancing monkey crap annoys the hell out of me.  I haven't played WOW since Xmas, thinking of coming back because I'm bored.  Is there any way to avoid at least a good portion of the silly shit in MOP?   A list of silly zones and instances/quests to avoid would be a good start.  Or am I wishing for too much?

How did you avoid it before?  There isn't really much more here than in previous expansions.  I remember rummaging through some animals crap back in TBC, and Haris Pilton in Shat.  I haven't played through the zones in a while, so I don't really remember which ones had the most "silly" stuff.  I don't remember there being much of it, other than maybe the damn rabbits, I thought those were pretty annoying, but I don't remember the zone.

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I can handle a bit of silly, but MOP is drowning in it.  Maybe I'm a lost cause.
  • Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    I can handle a bit of silly, but MOP is drowning in it.  Maybe I'm a lost cause.

Blizzard turned an April Fools Day Joke into an expansion.  MOP along with its creator Blizzard is the lost cause.  trust me it isn't you.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    They're reducing the XP needed from 85-90 by 33%, so go level through BG's or just skip the quests that you find silly. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

you arent being specific what is silly in MoP. I recently bought a 3 month trying to level my lower level toons into MoP but ended up playing my lvl 85 in MoP instead. I like the content ive seen so far in MoP. Too many monkeys in the first area but i already gained their reputation so they a friendly and i can move on.

Also if you think MoP is silly, why try to come back? Just buy a month and try to get past what you dont like grinding dungeons. And if you just hate the entire MoP then save your cash for something you would enjoy.

I personally dont grind dungeon to skip content in WoW because i only play WoW for the lore so i dont like skipping pieces of lore in WoW

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

If you're looking for a slightly less silly, yet super fun MMO, I'd suggest going to Guild Wars 2 instead of WoW.  Best feature: No Pandas.  The only "silly shit" that the game has had was the Super Adventure Box that ran through April and has ended.  Otherwise the game mostly takes itself serious in story progression, the war-like WvWvW, and sPvP.

You are wishing too much.  From what I'd read, the silliness of WoW is only going to get worse before it ever gets better. 

P.S. WoW has a subscription.  So, you're risking $$ just to "try to see" if it's lost it's silliness.  Compared to a non-subscription B2P game like GW2 where the box is your only entrance fee for a very, very long time.

P.P.S.  I played WoW through Cataclysm, ...it's just couldn't stand the early 2000's graphics combined with the oncoming joke that was Pandas.  Also, the Worgen race's starting area wasn't that fleshed out and become a complete waste of space after the very short period within it (never did the Goblin, was always Alliance).

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Siphaed

P.P.S.  I played WoW through Cataclysm, ...it's just couldn't stand the early 2000's graphics combined with the oncoming joke that was Pandas.  Also, the Worgen race's starting area wasn't that fleshed out and become a complete waste of space after the very short period within it (never did the Goblin, was always Alliance).

It drives me batty how people bash on the pandas.  At what point are people finally going to realize:

1.) Pandaren are a staple race that made their appearance back in Warcraft III.

2.) They are in no way based on Kung-Fu Panda, as they pre-date it by almost a decade.

3.) They're no worse than the giant talking cows we have in the Horde or the blue space goats on the Alliance side.

<3

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80

JUST DO SOMETHING ELSE. SUCH A WOWISH QUESTION. O.M.G.

Originally posted by rojo6934

you arent being specific what is silly in MoP.

Let's see, poop flinging/banana hurling dancing monkeys, beer elementals, giant spinning rabbits that vomit on you, etc.

If you're looking for a slightly less silly, yet super fun MMO, I'd suggest going to Guild Wars 2 instead of WoW.  Best feature: No Pandas.  The only "silly shit" that the game has had was the Super Adventure Box that ran through April and has ended.  Otherwise the game mostly takes itself serious in story progression, the war-like WvWvW, and sPvP.

You are wishing too much.  From what I'd read, the silliness of WoW is only going to get worse before it ever gets better. 

Tried GW2.  Got bored with the constant zergfests.  Thanks, though.

Originally posted by dreamscaper

It drives me batty how people bash on the pandas.  At what point are people finally going to realize:

2.) They are in no way based on Kung-Fu Panda, as they pre-date it by almost a decade.

3.) They're no worse than the giant talking cows we have in the Horde or the blue space goats on the Alliance side.

1.) Pandaren was an April Fool's joke, never meant to be a real race.

2.) Just because Blizzard's April Fool's joke predates the movie doesn't precluide them jumping on the Kung Fu Panda bandwagon. 

3.) It's not the panda themselves that bother me - I never even mentioned the pandas in my op. 

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Heroic horridon lol.....  Absolutely no silliness.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Your sillyness or crap is something that someone else probably enjoys, so asking for advice on the best zones to avoid etc is pointless as not everyone will have the same opinion as you and to be completely blunt, if you didn't like it the first time around what would be so different now?

It is like the people that come back at each expansion and expect to find a completely new game and are shocked when they find it is basically the same game with some slightly different content....well DUH!

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    la la la la la MOP is da best expansion ever!
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    How many stories do we know that get more and more dramatic, exciting and then suddenly becoming light and 'cute' with less powerful bosses etc. mop? Lol

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

After maybe half of the first zone, the MoP "silliness" dies down quite a bit and goes full badass.

But personally, I never really found any of it all that silly. It was just fun. I'd say, if you want to avoid it, then you don't really want to play and are forcing it, so you might as well quit.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

i seriously don't get it. 

you played that

for ages but complain about that:

okai :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

2.) Just because Blizzard's April Fool's joke predates the movie doesn't precluide them jumping on the Kung Fu Panda bandwagon. 

3.) It's not the panda themselves that bother me - I never even mentioned the pandas in my op. 

I'm so sick of hearing about this April fool's stuff. The race was created by an Artist and yes, was announced as part of an April fool's joke. The response from the players was so overwhelming, the race was added to the game. So... The players wanted the race to become part of the game and it did. You do know that all of the races in Warcraft are fake correct? All of the races have some joke elements as part of who they are. Where the race originated shouldn't really come into play. 

If you want to play wow and have limited exposure to the Pandaren and the content, just don't play the new area. Honestly, I'm not currently playing, but I have played through a lot of the MoP content and I didn't find it any more silly then WoW already is. Perhaps WoW just isn't for you. I'm currently playing TOR and having a blast, though, I'll always have a place in my heart for WoW. 

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    When you mature a little bit you will realize that MoP isnt any more or less 'silly' than the rest of WoW.
  • ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89

Why are you coming back to WoW in the first place? There's quite a bit of silliness in the game no matter what. I avoided A LOT of questing on my second character and basically dungeon and battleground grind to 90. You will pay for it in the long run when you need to do a quest chain to unlock dailies, unless you don't plan to do them.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

After maybe half of the first zone, the MoP "silliness" dies down quite a bit and goes full badass.

But personally, I never really found any of it all that silly. It was just fun. I'd say, if you want to avoid it, then you don't really want to play and are forcing it, so you might as well quit.

This.  You start to see the real blood lust and horror of war after you completely beat the first zone.  It basically just teaches you the ways of Pandaria in the first zone, and the troubles they had before you even came there.  Then it introduces things that are borderline war crimes and quite a bit of bloodshed and tragedy.

It's probably the only expansion that has really put the "war" into warcraft between the two factions.  Though it's nothing something you'll really see in whole until you completely beat each area and take on the new content the patches brought.  The entire expansion pretty much just focuses on this War between the Alliance and Horde and how it splits a continent and culture asunder in their lust for bloodshed.  Even one of the faction leaders is the end boss of the expansion, to end the war and the madness.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Is it me or has nobody answered the op's question?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by Praetalus

I'm so sick of hearing about this April fool's stuff. The race was created by an Artist and yes, was announced as part of an April fool's joke. The response from the players was so overwhelming, the race was added to the game. So... The players wanted the race to become part of the game and it did. You do know that all of the races in Warcraft are fake correct? All of the races have some joke elements as part of who they are. Where the race originated shouldn't really come into play. 

If you want to play wow and have limited exposure to the Pandaren and the content, just don't play the new area. Honestly, I'm not currently playing, but I have played through a lot of the MoP content and I didn't find it any more silly then WoW already is. Perhaps WoW just isn't for you. I'm currently playing TOR and having a blast, though, I'll always have a place in my heart for WoW. 

But it was a race in the Warcraft universe before that april fools joke that's what people aren't getting.

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by Praetalus

But it was a race in the Warcraft universe before that april fools joke that's what people aren't getting.

it was a single, merc hero added to a tavern as a patch to WCIII.  It was a minor, tiny piece of lore, if that.  A dev admitted it was a joke, thunk up over some drinks at a bar.  some of us are far too familiar how this silly little merc hero turned into a full-on expac to wow.