Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Siege Warfare Impression by Fist of the Empires members, Jamjafish

junyojunyo Member Posts: 26

The reason for this upturn in PvP is because of the cost of sieges.  As a guild you have to bid on the right to be able to attack a castle.  Right now minimum bid is 500-600 gold and that is sure to rise.   Gold and resources have become important again, so people are once again making and fighting for the best form of income.  
At the moment the best form of income is world bosses such as the kracken. I know a lot of people here hate the idea of PvE'ing in a game. If it was instanced(and boring), I would agree with you. However in this case every thing about the fight encourages PvP.  Lets break it down a bit. 
The fight is relatively simple. It takes 20 or so minutes. The kracken drops something like 5000g (or is it 8k)+, plus a high level weapon. To top it off, when you kill the kracken, it drops 50 tentacle "trade packs" that have to be transported to port for gold(you can imagine the PvP that can happen from just trying to get these trade packs to port).  For a prize like this, people do fight over it.

Anyway our night pretty much went like this.

Raid formed with just under 50 people attending. We assembled in kracken area, getting ready to engage. The other faction turns up, to stop us killing the kracken. A MASSIVE sea battle ensures. 8vs8+ galleons, 50 vs 50-60+..  Ships are destroyed on both sides both from cannon fire and ships being destroyed by the kracken.
We then spend the next hour or so doing piracy of sorts, stopping the other faction from fighting the kracken.  Hunting the west faction on the sea, we board ships, kill everyone on board and drive their ship towards the kracken, destroying their boats.  We probably destroyed around 8 galleons in this fashion.
Next we head to liberty island, where the big pirate guilds are unloading 2x full trade ships.  Mass PvP breaks out..  Originally it starts out around 20-25 on 30.  We take the trade ships and start unloading all the trade packs.  Re-inforcements turn up from both sides.  Our raid swells in numbers to about 50 again, pirates number around 80 or so.  Another friendly guild also shows up taking the total numbers well in excess of 150 battling it out.  The battle for the trade packs (and general PvP) goes on until all the trade packs are turned in.  There is a lot of feeling between the factions, which has been missing for me in games for a long long time.
Once again we are off to hunt the other faction on the high seas and to stop them killing the kracken (or to kill the kracken ourselves)..  This time we are too late to stop them killing the kracken, but once again PvP breaks out..  Another big naval battle and lots of boarding and killing of the enemy faction.

4 hours of open world PvP madness. 

The game also has seen trade routes enter back into dangerous waters where people are attacking ships. The need for money grows as guilds fight for the right to topple rival guilds and be the top dog. Stay tuned and in a couple days we will provide some first impressions of the first castle siege to take place in ArcheAge.

Comments

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    This is exactly the type of gameplay I have been looking forward to. I don't know how I feel that almost all of that takes place on the water instead of on land. Still I'm getting more and more excited to give this game a try can't wait til it's released.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

This sounds...

amazing.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Cant wait to play this game!

Has so much more to it  than the other games typical instance pve/pvp grind for gear.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• edenzeroedenzero Member Posts: 16

cool story..i mean seriously no sarcasm or troll lol

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Yep, this game is gonna be awesome
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Sounds good, but why must one pay to siege a castle? Is it not open and free for all to siege and attack?

• JuggernaughtManJuggernaughtMan Member Posts: 22

Its to prevent rampant sieging and forces the factions to plan out thier moves more carefully. Its a huge gold sink. So making the decision to launch an offensive against another territory needs to be considered carefully.

Also, just for clarity, the rights to siege are auctioned off by the server, not players.

I think its a rather good idea...a little odd but ultimately its a good representation of "war cost".

High risk: Cost / High Reward: Own more territory, taxes, etc

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by tinuelle

Sounds good, but why must one pay to siege a castle? Is it not open and free for all to siege and attack?

It's instanced with a forcefield like thing. Only people who are participating on the siege can enter.

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Originally posted by inporylemQQ

It's instanced with a forcefield like thing. Only people who are participating on the siege can enter.

Although, as Ellord mentioned, the Attackers Siege Spire and Respawn point, is within Cannon range of People outside the Sieges barrier. Hope they fix that one FAST!

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Two thumbs up. Enough said.
  • steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

I stated this in another thread so just reposting in response to your question,

To understand why it is limited, you have to appreciate why it must be. It takes tremendous effort, gold and resources to build a castle in the north. You have to remember this land is OWNED by the guild, and it takes tremendous effort to enstablish.

This is why it must be limited and scheduled because if  it wasn't, you could just zerg the castle and take over it's land. This would discourage the effort it takes to build in the north if it can be sacked on a whim or overtaken easily by a zerg. Both sides are given time to gather their troops and both sides can attempt to fill it to 100 and because they know the attack is coming, it provides a realistic opportunity to be able to defend your land.

I think people whom struggle with this idea are not grasping that this castle siege isn't like many other games where you have predefined structures to defend that have no value aside from their ability to aquire pvp currency or rank. In AA, if your castle which came at a huge expense it lost, your guild members whom live there will have their houses destroyed or will be forced to pay rent to the invader instead. To have value, it must be limited.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This worries me a lot because it is in essence forcing more of the speed leveling so they can get to the highest payout Boss.

PVP no matter how you break it down,the end result is a bunch of people standing on an open plain and just spamming attacks.I prefer organized slower paced gameplay,i like to play RPG's relaxed and spend a few hours at a time.

When i want great pvp i play a fps.

Also i see this as being a constant Guild thing,so it removes the overall guild idea into one simple function,not a good thing.I always see pvp ruining the very core of a game,well except FFXI and probably becuase they did not offer any carrot.

I think when i actually look at the FFXI pvp idea,it makes me wonder,are people really doing it for fun,or do they need a carrot to always chase.

One more thing,i see this as a reason for guilds to just get bigger,soon the members won`t know anyone,just a means for war.I prefer the smaller guild where everyone soon knows each other and want to do different functions other than always pvp related.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Wizardry

One more thing,i see this as a reason for guilds to just get bigger,soon the members won`t know anyone,just a means for war.I prefer the smaller guild where everyone soon knows each other and want to do different functions other than always pvp related.

Yeap. This is somewhat of a problem.. You guild have to have at least the size of 100+ or to be in a very active alliance with a lot more than 100 members total. You have to be able to get 100 every saturday to either attack or defend your castle.

I wished it would be more varied. With sieges ranged from 20 to above 100 depending on the settlement. So that smaller guild can own something and be able to defend it alone.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Apraxis
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Yeap. This is somewhat of a problem.. You guild have to have at least the size of 100+ or to be in a very active alliance with a lot more than 100 members total. You have to be able to get 100 every saturday to either attack or defend your castle.

I wished it would be more varied. With sieges ranged from 20 to above 100 depending on the settlement. So that smaller guild can own something and be able to defend it alone.

Actually its 70 guildmembers + 30 hired mercenaries for a siege, but keep in mind that a guild can have multiple sieges at the same time, the real tactics start when your guild is attacking a new territory and defending their old one (and what if even more?), there is already a server where a guild owns 3 territories (this Saturday they gonna need 210 guildmembers and to hire 90 mercenaries to defend these 3 territories... and another 70+30 to try to take the 4th territory, which will need good tactics and organization), there are going to be huge guilds in AA...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Seems pretty cool.

One issue though. It's not a player driven economy? Weapons and money drops form bosses?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

If it's like the Age of Wushu system, you can only wage war on keeps at certain times, and you must win the bid in order to wage.  Other wise you would have 20 guilds storming one keep with no way of determining the winner.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Black-MagicBlack-Magic Member UncommonPosts: 103
    This sounds amazing!

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    time passes really slow waiting for this game. crossing fingers trion will make most of it right...