Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is everything of worth behind an AD or Zen wall?

poken1151poken1151 Member Posts: 9

I'm liking the game so far, combat and so forth. Enjoy that they have a good balance of companions yet still open world with other players. But it's like near everything of worth is behind some massive amount of AD or Zen.

I understand that it's a free game, so funds have to roll in some how... but some things just seem off balanced here... So the idea is that if you pay for it it only makes the act easier, so it's not any great advantage. Just time and space (are any bags purchasable with just Gold?), I get it. If this is the model I can see why people have been begging to keep subscription models. And what was ever wrong with a daily subscription model? Like buy 30-"Days" and only have a day deducted when you play? (That's a total other question).

Anyway, main question is, is the only way for me to get bags and teleport scrolls and mounts etc. available through AD or Zen? If not how else Can I secure them? Also, if everything of seeming importance is mainly behind these two models, what's the point of gold? Just for the bare stuff like pots etc? Newbie asking questions I'm sure have been answered to death, but I just keep finding heated discussions and no straight answers. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    You can get AD free you know.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by birdycephon

All the Devs have to do is "adjust" the Ad you get and you too will be singing like a Canary.

It is a problem that ANYTHING is behind a wall and can only be gotten with Zen/AD/TP/CC/etc. Bad for Players, Great for Devs and Gold Farmers. Maybe someday some of you will realize how badly most Players are getting played by the same Devs that some Players here DEFEND.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

All the Devs have to do is "adjust" the Ad you get and you too will be singing like a Canary.

It is a problem that ANYTHING is behind a wall and can only be gotten with Zen/AD/TP/CC/etc. Bad for Players, Great for Devs and Gold Farmers. Maybe someday some of you will realize how badly most Players are getting played by the same Devs that some Players here DEFEND.

And that day is not here, so what's your point?

• RattsRatts Member Posts: 48

Yeah, with this game you really need to decide up front if you're going to be in the AD shop for basic things (bags, id scrolls, anything on the auction house) and eventually using Zen/cash for the more advanced stuff (mounts, companions, respecs and other account features) or are just going to be a freebie making do with what you have.

You can play fine for fee using dropped greens/blues and selling all the runestones that would clog your inventory.  With time, you'll probably have enough AD to buy the occasional goodie, but you'll always be behind people willing to play the cash shop game.

And don't even think about opening a lockbox.  Ignore the constant system messages about Holy Cow getting his Inferno Nightmare.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    AD is in game currency.. so to use a comparison you are saying everything in WoW is behind a gold wall... Earn the AD... sell stuff on the AH, do your dailies, pray every hour, ect. and for effs sake lvl up leadership!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

AD is just this games gold, as in the main currency..

Limiting how much you can earn each day from your own character is weird though.. I ain't going to defend it. You can earn plenty more from selling stuff to other players.. but it's still weird.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SwobyJSwobyJ Member Posts: 80

1)Once the Auction House is fully working, I'll be using it like a madman :).

2)I want to make a good, really good, Foundry series too. Hopefully I'll get some AD tips from that.

3)And dailies tend to give enough for at LEAST regular use for stuff. If you do dailies, you shouldn't be hurting for the regular stuff like Identity Scrolls, small bags, etc.

4)Celestial praying also has some benefits too, as you progress, whether they are Wards or Rough ADs, etc.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Originally posted by sbanes

Yeah, with this game you really need to decide up front if you're going to be in the AD shop for basic things (bags, id scrolls, anything on the auction house) and eventually using Zen/cash for the more advanced stuff (mounts, companions, respecs and other account features) or are just going to be a freebie making do with what you have.

You can play fine for fee using dropped greens/blues and selling all the runestones that would clog your inventory.  With time, you'll probably have enough AD to buy the occasional goodie, but you'll always be behind people willing to play the cash shop game.

And don't even think about opening a lockbox.  Ignore the constant system messages about Holy Cow getting his Inferno Nightmare.

This. I wasted 20 dollars on keys, and got nothing - literally there was just junk in there. I would have been better served spending that 20 dollars on a mount/companion/whatever.

I don't mind spending money, but when I'm completely ripped off I'll be sure to never do it again.

• SwobyJSwobyJ Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Golelorn

This. I wasted 20 dollars on keys, and got nothing - literally there was just junk in there. I would have been better served spending that 20 dollars on a mount/companion/whatever.

I don't mind spending money, but when I'm completely ripped off I'll be sure to never do it again.

Never, ever, spend real money on Lockboxes.

Save them up til you're Lv 60 and the market evens out, then use the many AD you'll have at that point, to convert to Zen, and THEN open the lockboxes.

A little self-control defeats most F2P schemes put together by the accountants.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
     Bad for Players, Great for Devs and Gold Farmers. Maybe someday some of you will realize how badly most Players are getting played by the same Devs that some Players here DEFEND.

It sounds like you think anything you have to pay real money for is bad.

You should have expected this type of pay2win system from PWE.  Instead, you play the game anyways and complain when it is exactly what the company has been doing with most of their other "free to play" titles.

Video games are made to generate a profit, not entertain you for free.  Get that through your head and you'll be much happier in your gaming experiences.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Golelorn

hmm you can't pretend your gambling habit is them ripping you off. It's pretty clear that what you get out of them is random.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Don't like your game content being locked behind small micro-transactions? Makes perfect sense me, however, caring that certain individuals are victims due to uncontrolled spending habits? not so much.These folks would be wasting their money regardless.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192

you are assuming that will happen.  Right now, your whole argument is moot.   you don't have a leg to stand on.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Potions aren't and you'll need it.
  • BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52

Such a true statement.

Some players defend getting taken over a barrel. They love the Dev's.

Stockholm syndrome guys. 100% Stockholm syndrome.

• poken1151poken1151 Member Posts: 9

I hear what most of you are saying. But I think some of these things then start weeding out some people. So I rationalized yesterday that I'd put cash in the game, but cap it at 60. Essentially what I would have paid if this was B2P.

Thing is, if AD is the "in-game" currency, then it's not the same as WoW exactly. I'm basing this off the fact that Gold is the common in-game currency in wow, and that's how I got mounts and some bags (aside from crafting). The AH in WoW was based on Gold and Silver. These you got killing things and you could farm them easily if you're life allowed it.

That's the problem. AD isn't something you get from kill,s it's like the game made Gold irrelevant, and a bit worthless if the tools you need are behind AD. My "average" play is not gonna revolve around dailies every day (it's why I kinda left WoW at cap). Why am I jumping into a game to perform a pre-defined work day of activities. Over and over again. After a while that's just not fun. Sure, do what's "on the way" (like killing bandits) but yea... I work for cash, I game for fun. 

I had no prob paying for the game, so I'm "adjusting" by estimating a 60$ cap over 6-months (either at 60$ for B2P or 10$/month membership) and leave it at that. See how it goes and if I survive trying to get the bare necessities.

This starts to fall apart if just respecing (what is that? just Gold in WoW for those comparing, you know, stuff you picked off the ground for killing things) is in pure Zen, which is like what 200k AD? So 6$? That's already around 45% of WoW membership, or 1/10th of what we'd have paid for the game... But let's see what happens.

Lastly, that's my thing with the AD. It wouldn't be so bad if what you got from praying was 2000 instead of 200. OR that items cost 450AD on average instead of 4500AD. How much you get on an "average" play through is minimal compared to what things are selling for. So then one sits back and it appears this is one of those mmo's that may favour the "mmo-worker". But like everyone says, you don't need them to have good time, so it doesn't favour anyone... but still... c'mon.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Panzerbase

And that day is not here, so what's your point?

The point is that there's a sucker born every minute, and you were one of them. :)

Not saying I'm not also at the moment, since I'm currently playing, but not really high enough level to feel the cash shop effects. If they're really as bad as the OP says, then I'll quit once I hit one of these walls. As a new player just starting, it seems like a fair system, but I still would much prefer a good ol' sub option.

Still, if I really get into this game, maybe spending 10 bucks here and there will be perfectly fine should I have the extra cash available.

Originally posted by kjempff
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/384391/THE411-on-NeverWinter-pay2win.html will give you a good idea.

Wow... Just wow.. Yes, it did help, and no idea how I missed that post. It factors in all the gripes I've just been finding out and more. Thanks for the link the read through was very helpful. Mixed with what I'm also figuring... I'll draw my conclusion to it being a lil unfair. I can't craft a bag... but it's 6$ for one... 6? I'd pay a monthly or do B2P to avoid those kinda costs/ To reach where I am in GW2 with Neverwinter would cost me double what GW2 cost me in the first 6 months.

So I must maintain a constant quota of items when I'm out. Limiting this, limits how I can grow profits, time is not strictly equaling money here. Anyway, won't further the dupe thread. Thanks again.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Vannor

AD is just this games gold, as in the main currency..

Limiting how much you can earn each day from your own character is weird though.. I ain't going to defend it. You can earn plenty more from selling stuff to other players.. but it's still weird.

Not really, it keeps inflatation down.   It's a smart system. 

• CaidenCaiden Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Everything of worth is gathered from Dungeons and PvP. All else is cosmetic or for convenience.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

It's very much possible to enjoy the game without paying for anything but it will take a bit longer to acquire certain items like Enchantments and the like.  You can also give them $15 a month and you'll get a nice little influx of Zen and help the game out.

As i've stated numerous times, NWO is Pay For Convenience . (P4C)

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by poken1151
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/384391/THE411-on-NeverWinter-pay2win.html will give you a good idea.

Wow... Just wow.. Yes, it did help, and no idea how I missed that post. It factors in all the gripes I've just been finding out and more. Thanks for the link the read through was very helpful. Mixed with what I'm also figuring... I'll draw my conclusion to it being a lil unfair. I can't craft a bag... but it's 6$ for one... 6? I'd pay a monthly or do B2P to avoid those kinda costs/ To reach where I am in GW2 with Neverwinter would cost me double what GW2 cost me in the first 6 months.

So I must maintain a constant quota of items when I'm out. Limiting this, limits how I can grow profits, time is not strictly equaling money here. Anyway, won't further the dupe thread. Thanks again.

So you'd pay $15 a month for pretty much nothing then spending $6 for a 1 time convenience item?  image

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by poken1151

So you'd pay $15 a month for pretty much nothing then spending $6 for a 1 time convenience item?  image

Haha, no you have my meaning wrong. I'm saying If I spend cash on this game those would be my limits as if I were on a sub/or bought to play. So I'd never spend more than 15$/month, or 60$ for the lifetime of my playing (till whatever next expansion).

My reference to the 6$ is to point out that it's already such a big bite out of the limit I set for myself. I couldn't imagine gather all the similar things I have in WoW or GW2 in NWO; it'd cost me twice as much as It might have if the game was B2P.

Consider; in WoW's 6$ sub, you can respec using in-game gold at a steadily increasing cost for each respec. This you can do independent of your 14.99/month sub fee. Similarly in GW2, you pay a certain in game amount to respec, and repeatedly, and the game costs 45$-60$ as a one time fee.

The way I play MMO's means I'm not going to re-roll a whole character to try a new build or such, so say I have my two characters, and for each I end up respecing 3 times. That's already 33$. So, you wait until builds come out first I guess. Or pony up.

Then, lets assume I want to go adventuring and not worry about my bag limit as much. In WoW and GW2, these are all craftable from stuff you eventually find (though some require scrolls you can buy for in-game gold). But here in NWO it'll cost me a good penny. 

So these are "conveniences" But they have sad implications. The bag for ex. I'd wager that slows or impedes your progress, you carry less, which means you're tossing more, which means you may end up junking an item that could possibly have earned you AD in the AH. 

Just my op.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I have to say, I do hate this AD/ZEN system as well, but mostly because it's confusing haha.   I typically hate f2p games without sub option.  Tho, however I must say, I am enjoying my time in this game.   It is a great game to sit down and do a dungeon or two and then log.   It is becoming a great break from Defiance and Dragon's Prophet Beta, my current 'main' games.   I was a nay sayer until I logged in.  Definitaly able to play free through tho man.  To the OP, it is F2P, meaning things of worth are naturally behind a $ wall.   But before you complain, look what they did, they lowered that money wall for the players by allowing us to earn the $ currency in game.  That is pretty neat if you ask me, confusing in the limits of earnings and in the exchange rates, but neat.   

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!