Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO do you believe had the best potential but failed in execution?

Comments

• cakelizardcakelizard Member UncommonPosts: 63
    chronicles of spellborn had such a great idea and atmosphere...just fell flat. and Horizons? anyone remember that one?
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

hands down 

Horizons, if that game had any kind of budget, it could have been a top MMO of all time.

Playable Race Dragon!!!!! Actually start as a baby dragon and level up SLOWLY building your own lair and collecting artifacts to add to it.

Entire economy player driven, drops were only resources and recipes.

No Server was the same.  On my server, we were the first to unlock the Satyr race, which was a community project not unlike the openings of AQ in WOW, it literally took the entire server working together to build a broken bridge to the blighted land, and free the Satyr race, making it a new playable race., Crafters raced to build the bridge, gatherers brought supplies from accross the work sometime taking hrs, and high level characters fought back the blight to protect us all.

Completely open class system, be any class on 1 char (with exp penalties) craft everything on 1 char (with penalties as well)

Cross classing like early Wizardry or DND.  Wanted to become a Paladin, level Fighter to 20, then sub class level Cleric to 20, to unlock the Pally class

man I still miss that game so much

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by IrishChai
    Vanguard, by far. I understand the other mentions, but they aren't even close to the scope of what Vanguard was trying to accomplish, and nothing failed at the margin level of design scope-to-execution that Vanguard did.

Totally agree.  It could have been the game that saved the genre from hand holding and brainless gameplay, but a complete lack of leadership coupled with an abundance of mismanagement resulted in what I consider the biggest failure.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    Vanguard could have been so much more, also agree WAR had so much unforfilled potential and A personal favourite that I feel had so much future potential but was shut down before it could hope to get there was Faxion online, the pvp was great fun and it had wings.
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    lol @ all these CU tards pretending WAR had so much potential. It was nothing more then a bad WoW clone from inception to present day.
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    WAR

I agree.

+1 definitly the worst let down in history in MMO's for me. One of the reasons I ended up not backing camelot unleashed. His vision was not even close to what the fans where hoping and to this day he never admits to the rvr faliure in the game. Blames it on many other things that he takes part responsiblity for , but never the main core issue of it's failure.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

First of all grrr,it took several tries and finally 12 seconds to load this page (

MY first choice is Vanguard,it is actually a great game that failed to gather the gamer's perception of a great game.

I would have to say failing at execution was SWTOR.It has all the outside edges in place it just failed add the detail.If i was in charge,every single aspect would be done better and i mean EVERYTHING.

That is the funny thing about rating games.An outside look at SWTOR and you think ok maybe a 7/10.However since i would improve everything in the game,i can't rate any aspect more than a 5/10.That actually makes the entire game a 5/10.The actual eye candy of the world is acceptable as maybe a 6 but the layout is so generic,like a linear path it steps back to a 5 again.

If you got a real creative developer to take it over and spend 12-16 months on systems and graphics and effects,it si there as a top game.,NO not Bioware, this game could easily be a 8/10.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by nerbon
    eve online

Geesus ,i agree 100% ,i actually think so little of the game i totally forgot about it.

Ya no doubt this is easily the worst executed game ever and i doubt any game will ever match it.

They didn't even have the money to finish it,so you know right there it was not released as a complete game.I am sort of baffled as to why with al lthe money they made,why they didn't upgrade the game engine and the game and put some love into it.

They made soooo much money they went out and expanded to 650 workers ,that is a LOT.Instead of spending it on Eve,they slapped their player base in the face and took that money and started to work on other projects like Dust for example and APPS for FB and such.

With the kind of money they made and wasted,they could  have easily turned Eve into a game everyone would enjoy.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KalSirian2KalSirian2 Member UncommonPosts: 42

Dark and Light for me, it had a lot of potential, and was even playable and enjoyable at some point.

Even unifinished, the game world was huge, the mounts had a very nice feel, the whole castle construction was interesting, the crafting wasn't bad... if someone manages to remake DnL with a modern 3d engine and proper content, it could be a very good game. One of the qualities it had, if I recall, was that quests were quite scarce but much longer and more interesting than what you find today. Also it wasnt as linear, since the areas were so big right from the start, you could explore a lot without having to lvl up to go to other areas.

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    Neverwinter.  So disappointing.  I was really looking forward to this game and after 2 minutes in it I couldn't take it.  I eventually went back after deciding to accept it for what it was instead of what the expectations were but still it felt like some candyland asian fairydust mmo.  Played to level 20 something and never died. Switched classes to what others were saying was the weakest --- control wizard --- and played it up to 18 and still never died.  Just because it's f2p doesn't mean it cannot be uninstalled. 
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    lol @ all these CU tards pretending WAR had so much potential. It was nothing more then a bad WoW clone from inception to present day.

Of course an MMORPG based on Warhammer had potential.  You really think otherwise?  The IP alone supports their belief.

• robertallenrobertallen Member Posts: 1

I'll chalk another vote up to Vanguard.  If you played Word Association, "potential" could very well be first on the minds when thinking about the game.  SOE really ignored this game in favor of their lovechild EverQuest franchise.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Vanguard, without a doubt
  • MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Neverwinter. It could've been so much more. It could've been a real Dungeons & Dragons Online. Instead we got a Cryptic-MMO. :/

We?re all dead, just say it.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    TSW. it could've been great if not for the crappy combat system and persistent chat/ui issues
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Vanguard

SWG   (failed to abolish many UO faults,  macros and botting amongst them!)

WoW  (only personal grade - I simply absolutely detest direction it went in late Vanilla and later - yes I know it was meant by Blizzard to go direction it went and that's it's huge commercial success - still for me this game had potential to be diffrent and better - althrough it would propably be much less commercial succesful )

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

SWG by a mile, the game was so horribly broken at release and half the classes never got fixed before the CU.

For me SWG was the last worthwhile attempt at a semi sandbox mmorpg, every one since has sucked ass.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

SWTOR.

They had a huge budget. A pre-arranged title that is really hard to screw up and a mountain of resources at their disposal. So what did they do with it? They hired shotty leadership who then hired an untested engine to run a multi-billion dollar title MMORPG. The game could have been epic.

• ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    SWTOR hands down
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Personally, never bought into WAR (as an IP, that is). Nor a Hyperboria fan.

TMO--now there was an IP that completely went to waste. I'd like to see someone work their way through the maze of copyright litigation and do more with the macross/battletech IPs some day, too.

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    WAR

Yep, agreed. Warhammer Online had everything going for it. Awesome IP, big budget team. But they botched it and created some weird PvP WoW clone.

The only thing great about Warhammer Online was the hype that Paul Barnett created for it. The game itself was the worst garbage I can remember. There was never really any potential in this game. It was probably the very first example of how much hype a game can get even if it's the worst abomination in history.

The best potential game was probably Diablo 3. Failed in execution? You betcha !

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    War
    Swtor
    E & b

Basicly everything ea had a heavy hand in
  • VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by kb4blu

I would have to say anarchy online

To me it had the greatest potential to be a great game.  However I think that shadowlands killed it at least for me.

I know that anyone who has read my posts are probably tired of me whining about AO and shadowlands.

I have had a bad day at work and I have a few too many beers.

So I am sorry for the complaining.

Anyway when you are 67 years old things seem to effect you more.

I hope everyone has a great day. :)

Dood, I could still whine about it 24H/ a day too, even 10 years later... so don't feel bad about it ! KEEP WHINING ! THAT'S WHAT WE ARE GOOD AT !

Fallen Earth could have been someting huge under a better direction.

Aion was pretty close to being something huge too... really thaaaaat close.

SWTOR ofc is the biggest fail ever. Nothing to say about it, it's trash.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Vanguard