Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Should crafting be dynamic and complex? Or should it be grinding proficiency like traditional MMORP

2»

Comments

• benseinebenseine HaarlemPosts: 243Member
    Originally posted by Axehilt

Originally posted by benseine Well the game wil have normal guilds and crafting guilds. Each type can build guild cities with different kind of buildings. Crafting guilds can build the structures that give you acces to the best gear. So ppl with different interests can be in different guild types (I also believe you can be in two type of guilds at once). 

The problem with that approach is if a game has too many focuses it ends up doing everything poorly.

And it can work sometimes.  Skyrim tries lots of things, but just about all of them are ruthlessly mediocre (except their graphics programmers who are actually pretty damn impressive.)  But most players appear unhindered by the fact that so many of Skyrim's facets are shallow at best, and broken at worst.  I worked with a lead designer from Oblivion who referred to this as "dog's breakfast" feature design, because they basically threw bits and pieces of any game feature they could think of into the game.

So personally I like to see games focus on fewer, but higher-quality features.  Those are the games I enjoy best, they're most likely to also be deep games I can play for a long time without tiring.  By creating fewer features a team is able to pour more polish, love, and game balance into them to make them more fun to play with.

So for me it's not much of a selling point to explain there are both combat- and crafting-focused guilds, because it weakens my expectations of both.

Well the graphics of Gloria Victis are also pretty nice. Would love to see them create a game as fun as Skyrim. Don't agree with you though. One of the reasons games as WoW and EVE are so succesfull is that they are alround games. They have more to offer then just pvp or raiding or crafting. They have succesfully implemented more then one aspect of mmorpg's :)
  • AxehiltAxehilt San Francisco, CAPosts: 8,729Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by benseine

Well the graphics of Gloria Victis are also pretty nice. Would love to see them create a game as fun as Skyrim. Don't agree with you though. One of the reasons games as WoW and EVE are so succesfull is that they are alround games. They have more to offer then just pvp or raiding or crafting. They have succesfully implemented more then one aspect of mmorpg's :)

I guess it's fair to suggest WOW isn't a super focused game.

It's not impossible to do many things well, just very difficult.

"Joe stated his case logically and passionately, but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter..." -Idiocracy
    "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Edison, NJPosts: 457Member
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Phry
    i put down i have a better idea too, best implementation of crafting i've ever seen in an MMO was the Pre-CU/NGE crafting in SWG, its pretty much the measure i use when evaluating other games. image

This. There has been no better system!

Very true. I have yet to see a crafting system come even CLOSE to SWG. I positively hate crafting in EVERY other MMO I've tried. SWG has set a standard that, for me, will be difficult to reach.

• MMOPapaMMOPapa Strasburg, VAPosts: 121Member
    Originally posted by Vayman
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Phry
    i put down i have a better idea too, best implementation of crafting i've ever seen in an MMO was the Pre-CU/NGE crafting in SWG, its pretty much the measure i use when evaluating other games. image

This. There has been no better system!

Very true. I have yet to see a crafting system come even CLOSE to SWG. I positively hate crafting in EVERY other MMO I've tried. SWG has set a standard that, for me, will be difficult to reach.

I honestly don't recall anything special about SWG's crafting system... after a certain point you still had no chances of failure but could still produce quality items from the comfort of your home, while you weren't even there! I don't know, I've never been a fan of the 'place 200 items in queue and walk away from your keyboard' simplicity of crafting in majority of MMORPGs. I guess that's why I've fallen in love with FFXIV:ARR's crafting system; you can NOT walk away from that and expect to be productive.

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,474Member Uncommon

Both.  It depends.

Is your game crafting-centric?  Then create a system elaborate enough to involve a lot of dynamic outcomes based on skillful player decisions.

Is your game combat-centric?  Then simple one-click crafting is fine (and certainly adds value over not having the system.)  The time you save from not going overboard on a side-feature (since your game is combat-centric) will allow you to to make the core feature that much stronger because you'll have time to focus on it.

Pretty much this.  What is the purpose of crafting in this game? 

• ZorgoZorgo Deepintheheartof, TXPosts: 2,226Member
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Your poll is kinda fubar. Paper or plastic? Yes.

I'm a little sad it took 8 posters before someone actually read it and noticed it made no sense. Shame on you Quizzical.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Both.  It depends.

Is your game crafting-centric?  Then create a system elaborate enough to involve a lot of dynamic outcomes based on skillful player decisions.

Is your game combat-centric?  Then simple one-click crafting is fine (and certainly adds value over not having the system.)  The time you save from not going overboard on a side-feature (since your game is combat-centric) will allow you to to make the core feature that much stronger because you'll have time to focus on it.

Pretty much this.  What is the purpose of crafting in this game? 

Pretty much to make everything in the game. Gear, buildings, tools etc. Here is a list of the professions they plan to add: http://i43.tinypic.com/2z8byht.jpg

• DeivosDeivos Mountain View, CAPosts: 1,767Member Uncommon

Well I gave my suggestion on the matter before.

The only thing I could addendum to add is 'regulate the variety of resources'. You have ten professions there, but functionally the places all their crafting material needs to come from could be paired down to two places with a few variations within of mines and farms.

The breakdown being that you have 4.5 classes there working off resources that'd be common to mining, such as ores and gems.

And the other 5.5 are reliant on resources you'd be able to cultivate, like vegetables, herbs, trees, and livestock.

Engineering counts as .5 between both as it kinda needs all the resources in a much more uniform scale.

As one of them is Hunting and Lumberjacking, even though I put that under farming, it's a class concept that rather seems to indicate your town isn't insular in resource production or management. If that is the case, I'd say perhaps taking a poke back at the way RTS games like Age of Empires 2 did resources and incorporate some capacity to develop a transitional form of wild resource nodes and controlled ones.

For the crafting aspect I'd stick by my previous suggestion, but this is all just personal opinion/preference any who.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners."
    - Thomas B. Macaulay

Well you can easily increase the number by adding leather and cloth as resource for most armour and leather, bone and wood to most wespons and shields. Then you increase the number of places you need to go for your resources and even the number if professions needed to get all the components for the final product.

If you want a grade A final product you must either need to have all those professions at a high lvl or you need to work together to make the best gear ==> crafting guilds.

2»