Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZAM beta interview

2»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Disappointed he didn't shoot the "wow gear" question down in flames

Also gw2 style multi guild memberships - ugh!

People around here are so obsessed with comparing ESO to DAoC or single player TES games they're missing the obvious.

ESO combat...more like GW2 than anything else

Limited number of active abilities, some or all weapon-based ( you slot what you wish...class abilities can be totally ignored if you want) ... check.

3-sided RvR style PvP... check.

PvE and PvP strictly segregated... check.

And although they haven't said yet, I'm willing to bet it will be B2P + cash shop... check.

Love it or hate it, GW2 was by far, the most succesful MMO of the past couple of years at attracting and keeping large numbers playing... you think maybe other devs have been paying attention?

Your guess at B2P + cash shop will be wrong ... check

Bookmarked for future reference.

I am am about 90% positive this will be a B2P game. 

It would take some brazen balls for a AAA MMO released in 2013 to be sub-based. The quality and variety of F2P games has increased to such an extent that sub-based is now the domain of the starving artist indies or the old MMOs that can still get away with it. Even EQ Next is coming out F2P.

B2P is simply the more honest version of "Get yer Founder Pack Here!" Gw2 showed the way with that as well. The model worked because the released game oozed quality and the GW fan base was huge... Very similar situation here.

There will be two games released this year that will be Sub at launch.  ESO and Wildstar, everything else will be F2P or B2P.  It's pretty obvious from listening to the companies that these two titles believe they have something special worthy of a sub.  Both will probably also have a optional cash shop and I won't guess about how long if ever they go B2P/F2P but I would bet a copy of either game they will launch sub based.

I have no issue with paying for a sub to a fun game.  I still pay for a EQ2 sub (well actually a SOE all access pass) and to this day given the number of hours a week I put into that game feel it's worth it.  If ESO or Wildstar can garner the same kinds of value to me than why wouldn't I pay $15 a month for the game?

Well. We'll find out but the "no subs" movement has really gotten some momentum in the past year. Even gaming sites (such as this one) have posted anti-sub editorials in the past couple of months. That's a relatively bold move for sites that depend o ad revenue.

i really think that GW2 was a financial model game changer. It has the feature set and quality that can compete--often favorably-- with any AAA title. Wildstar and ESO may think that they can still buck the trend, but IMHO that would be a terrible mistake. The fact that neither one has ccommitted publicly to a financial model yet is a pretty good indication of their concern and tat they're having a long hard think about it. Two years ago both would have announced their financial model long before their current betas.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

I dont think WIldStar is a big enough hype-train to go Sub to Play. Unless I fall in love in the open beta or something. The main problem is WIldStar is DIRECTLY competing with WoW. Although I've heard people say they LOVE WoW but just want it done right in a new setting, and WildStar is pretty much aiming to be WoW but better. If it will be better, who knows. WildStar targets the hardcore theme-park crowd

And yeah, EQN is pretty much guaranteed to not be sub. Probably Box + pay for convenience.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by hMJem

I dont think WIldStar is a big enough hype-train to go Sub to Play. Unless I fall in love in the open beta or something. The main problem is WIldStar is DIRECTLY competing with WoW. Although I've heard people say they LOVE WoW but just want it done right in a new setting, and WildStar is pretty much aiming to be WoW but better. If it will be better, who knows. WildStar targets the hardcore theme-park crowd

And yeah, EQN is pretty much guaranteed to not be sub. Probably Box + pay for convenience.

SoE said last year very clearly EQN will be not B2P but true F2P.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

SoE said last year very clearly EQN will be not B2P but true F2P.

All I have heard about the payment model is the indication from a Gamasutra piece stating Smedley had indicated it would hew to F2P.  "it's safe to say we're going to be a completely free-to-play company."   That being the most detailed description on it's pricing policy I have seen thus far, which is a vague indication.

Could you post your source for it being 'true F2P'? :)

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    I would be shocked if it was a true F2PMMORPG.. Otherwise that means there is gonna be some cash shop wallet destruction happening. Would prefer buy the game, pay for convenience
  • SkylesSkyles Member Posts: 118
    I come in on the p2p side - I've repeatedly stopped playing MMOs that go f2p. There's nothing I hate as much as cash shops and that constant feeling that they're trying to squeeze every cent possible from me at every opportunity - always ends up costing more in the end to get access to all the same features you'd get on a set p2p model, and always makes me feel like I'm in a shady hotel with an innkeeper who's stealing and tacking on hidden fees at every opportunity. My fingers are crossed for a simple pay to play model and no squeeze.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I think the next few years we will be seeing more and more mmos for consoles in the next gen.  So more and more mmos will be either b2p or f2p even the AAA ones.  I think ESO will have a console port eventually especially since one of the devs stated that the game can translate well for gamepad if you use a third party gamepad program like xpadder.  Hell I played GW2 and neverwinter with a gamepad using xpadder perfectly fine in both pve and pvp.  I think final fantasy reborn will also eventually go f2p.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Originally posted by Skyles
    I come in on the p2p side - I've repeatedly stopped playing MMOs that go f2p. There's nothing I hate as much as cash shops and that constant feeling that they're trying to squeeze every cent possible from me at every opportunity - always ends up costing more in the end to get access to all the same features you'd get on a set p2p model, and always makes me feel like I'm in a shady hotel with an innkeeper who's stealing and tacking on hidden fees at every opportunity. My fingers are crossed for a simple pay to play model and no squeeze.

I prefer a well-done freemium model + low-key cash shop above all else as it kind of forces the company to think about how they're going to paywall the consumer- and they have to present the incentives via the traditional grid. So upfront you still kind of know what you're getting and how the company is limiting you if you decide to go free.

The whales can still throw all their money at them while the average budget-watching consumer can simply put in their 15/month for account conveniences. ...And people who are wary of the game's appeal are still free to give it a shot with neither the regret of paying sub money nor the regret of having wasted time in a game that ultimately requires financial upkeep well outside of their budgets just to have a half-decent playing experience.

That said, the model doesn't work for everyone and a poorly done freemium will simply enrage people and make things worse for the company. I'm sure we can all think of one stunning example of that.

After freemium, I prefer B2P, then P2P, and then fifty more empty spots of business models that don't exist, and then true F2P.