Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] EVE Online: Delving Into the Second Decade

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During the recent CCP FanFest, much time was spent on the fact that EVE Online is now a decade old and already looking ahead to the second ten years. We managed to grab Kristoffer Touborg for a chat about his vision for EVE and much more. Read this terrific interview and then head into the comments to discuss.

Blake Morse: The whole hiring from within the community seems like a fairly consistent trend with you guys. So how did you get a job at Fan Fest?

Kristoffer Touborg: It was a little bit random. There’s a session where you do alliance presentations and just sort of talk about the alliances you’re in. And I did ours and I thought I’d just write something funny and I did. CCP then asked me to come do commentary on their e-sports tournament and while I was out here I just begged for a job. I have my 5th anniversary with the company coming up just around the corner. 

Read more of Blake Morse's EVE Online: Delving Into the Second Decade.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    wait. imagine using mercs for boarding and capturing ships. that would be sweet.
  • redthoughtredthought Member Posts: 10
    I hope they don't spend too much effort and development time on making eve accessible on smart phones.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I just started playing EvE a few days ago having never played a sandbox game before and can safely say the scope of EvE is beyond epic. I've never played a game with such and expansive feeling play field where you totally feel there are no limits or restrictions on what you can do. For a game that is 10 years old the graphics and sound are superb, I've been blown away with how good things look and can echo what Kristoffer said about the games visuals, It feels like a game from 2013 not 2003.

The downside is definitely the learning curve, its pretty damn steep, actually I created two characters in order to go through the beginner tutorial twice. If you're thinking about trying EvE I'd say give the 14 day trial a go and be patient during the first few days as once you learn the basics it's one hell of a good game with no equal in scope.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Eve has indeed a very tuff learning curve, and even if you play this game for a year one is still learning :)

Dont stay to long in Hisec tough, after 2 / 3 months i found the game becomming very boring, once i joined a null sec alliance things got even more interesting.
    F;eets of hundreds of people rampaging trough space is one of the most attractive aspects of Eve for me.

And not to speak about your incomme wich increases in tenfold ^^
    Train stuff and dont forget about certificets ;)
    To fly a ship is only the 1st out of many steps, to master a ship one trains many weeks.

And ye Eve altough celebrating its 1st decade this game looks like a brand new game from 2013.
    With Odesy it will look even better.

CCP won my hearth....nono stole my hearth as every other mmo i played feels like super mario bross, its fun for awhile, but Eve is real.

10/10 for CCP

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Dont stay to long in Hisec tough, after 2 / 3 months i found the game becomming very boring, once i joined a null sec alliance things got even more interesting.
    F;eets of hundreds of people rampaging trough space is one of the most attractive aspects of Eve for me.

Yup.

Though I would say: Go Wormhole!

• calyptic101calyptic101 Member Posts: 5
    If you just started playing eve look further than hsec. Faction warfare, null or low sec pirating. Faction warfare is great for new players as you can make a lot of isk plexing and get some practice pvp at the same time. Seriously stop playing theme park game and start playing proper mmos
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

EVE is a very solid game. I'm personally just not sold on the space environment (I do like sci-fi though). I played it a few months on and off since 2005 I think, the concept of the game makes me resub every so often (and have me relearn the entire game each time). But in the end of the day, while I love everything EVE has to offer, I'm just not a fan of space, and I do prefer combat that is a bit faster paced.

If there ever comes a game that mixes the sandbox depth of EVE, with the environment of an elder scrolls game, combined with the PvP, risks, and clan politics of Darkfall, I don't think I'd ever leave such a game. Sadly, that dream game will likely never exist.

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by raapnaap 

If there ever comes a game that mixes the sandbox depth of EVE, with the environment of an elder scrolls game, combined with the PvP, risks, and clan politics of Darkfall, I don't think I'd ever leave such a game. Sadly, that dream game will likely never exist.

Keep your eyes open for CCP's next game World of Darkness. it aims to be everything you just mentioned ;)

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Actually, really cool.  I've always been into exploration and have tried and failed to get into EVE multiple times.  If they do the concept justice in the next expansion I might actually find my niche within the game.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    I am quite new to EVE as well, found the learning curve not too bad though. Only thing I struggle with is coming up with stuff to do, i am totally spoiled by themeparks that spoonfeed you content. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Please don't put too much time and effort into a mobile version of this game lol..
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by sacredfool
    I am quite new to EVE as well, found the learning curve not too bad though. Only thing I struggle with is coming up with stuff to do, i am totally spoiled by themeparks that spoonfeed you content. 

Here ya go. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Honken101Honken101 Member Posts: 2

Well, it has been implied... I think from last fanfest, (a vision future of EVE and Dust) that you go to a wormhole, find a site, kill all the baddies, dock with the structures, and release the dust mercs to explore the inside. :P

Just saying... Oh, and putting Dust mercs on capital ships to take it over was implied as a vision too...