Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZAM beta interview

HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

ZAM just posted an interview with Matt Firor about the closed beta. A snip i'm glad to read at least:

...we’re analyzing how to make combat flow better/look more connected...

Comments

• aldenceisealdenceise Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the link. Glad I'm not the only one who thought the combat looked just flatout bad from an aesthetic perspective. Must have been placeholder animations taken from that quote or feedback saying such.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I'm glad he liked the enemy AI. In every game out today, enemy AI is minimal at best. Maybe this will be a feature that helps the game if it ends up even close to his impression.

There Is Always Hope!

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Nice read. Looking forward to more information and the actual game release. 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Disappointed he didn't shoot the "wow gear" question down in flames

Also gw2 style multi guild memberships - ugh!
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

....not a good sign =(

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

People around here are so obsessed with comparing ESO to DAoC or single player TES games they're missing the obvious.

ESO combat...more like GW2 than anything else

Limited number of active abilities, some or all weapon-based ( you slot what you wish...class abilities can be totally ignored if you want) ... check.

3-sided RvR style PvP... check.

PvE and PvP strictly segregated... check.

And although they haven't said yet, I'm willing to bet it will be B2P + cash shop... check.

Love it or hate it, GW2 was by far, the most succesful MMO of the past couple of years at attracting and keeping large numbers playing... you think maybe other devs have been paying attention?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

Wrong thread....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

Don't know about you guys but most of those responses sounded very methodical and choosy with his words.  He side stepped many of the questions with out giving them real answers besides the 'wait till we reveal the whole feature.'  

I don't know if it was the journalist or what but from reading the interview it seemed he had very little confidence in the game.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

Its not that far fatched.

Doesnt EQ2 use the same model? Its free to play but you can sub to play too and get more stuff? Same with GW2? Never played but I think that's how it goes.

It'll either be box + Sub to play, or box + pay for convenience.. I hope. I refuse to support a cash shop greedy system like Neverwinter. My goodness. Its not even a cash shop that bugs me, but when the cash shop prices are so outrageous.. And I dislike the pay to win mentality. In my eyes pay to win means the grind to otherwise acquire the same thing other players have is just unrealistic even to hardcore players, or where they directly pay for power. Can someone pay $300 and instantly be better than me? If so, I don't want to play.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by onlinenow25

Don't know about you guys but most of those responses sounded very methodical and choosy with his words.  He side stepped many of the questions with out giving them real answers besides the 'wait till we reveal the whole feature.'  

I don't know if it was the journalist or what but from reading the interview it seemed he had very little confidence in the game.

Summer is filled with events that are common time to give answers. Next 2-3 months we will have a lot more info. If we dont, thats when its a fail. Fluff interviews like this are cheap time fillers for fans. Fact there is some real info there at all is impresive.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

When are we getting new ESO info? Are we really getting anything about ESO at E3? Sounds like it'd just be a "hold on, the open beta is in the future!" type comment or  maybe a new cinematic trailer. Be surprised if we get good ESO info from E3.

Actually I'd be pretty hyped if we got an open beta announcement with a date at E3, but I imagine we're 3-5 months away from an open beta for this game.

• Nightsong89Nightsong89 Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Summer is filled with events that are common time to give answers. Next 2-3 months we will have a lot more info. If we dont, thats when its a fail. Fluff interviews like this are cheap time fillers for fans. Fact there is some real info there at all is impresive.

I really have to disagree with you Nanfoodle and agree with onlinenow25.

Love it or hate it (in regards to the game since it is not for everyone), but Carbine and WildStar (which is also slated for release in 2013) has been very open with their community in answering questions and putting out information (heck, their Executive Producer stayed up till midnight (amongst other developers) fielding questions back and forth to garner community feedback when the beta patch notes got leaked. It really shows that they have confidence in their product and aren't afraid of showing off the game in an alpha state (first reveal in 2011), late alpha/early beta (2012), four months out of date client (2013).

With ZeniMax, I'm just worried. Their entire campaign of pumping out lore, shutting down any and all gameplay videos, and basically sidestepping questions in these kinds of press interviews really does give off a negative image. I really want to be wrong and the game to turn out great, but I'm just not seeing anything that really gets me excited for ESO (no I don't buy into developer hype. Show me a gameplay video or let me get hands on time with the game (not with the special made game convention client but the actual full client) and I'll actually be able to say whether or not I would want to get into the game.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Solveig - Tiro of Terminus
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by nightsong89
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle Originally posted by onlinenow25 Don't know about you guys but most of those responses sounded very methodical and choosy with his words.  He side stepped many of the questions with out giving them real answers besides the 'wait till we reveal the whole feature.'   I don't know if it was the journalist or what but from reading the interview it seemed he had very little confidence in the game.

Love it or hate it (in regards to the game since it is not for everyone), but Carbine and WildStar (which is also slated for release in 2013) has been very open with their community in answering questions and putting out information (heck, their Executive Producer stayed up till midnight (amongst other developers) fielding questions back and forth to garner community feedback when the beta patch notes got leaked. It really shows that they have confidence in their product and aren't afraid of showing off the game in an alpha state (first reveal in 2011), late alpha/early beta (2012), four months out of date client (2013).

With ZeniMax, I'm just worried. Their entire campaign of pumping out lore, shutting down any and all gameplay videos, and basically sidestepping questions in these kinds of press interviews really does give off a negative image. I really want to be wrong and the game to turn out great, but I'm just not seeing anything that really gets me excited for ESO (no I don't buy into developer hype. Show me a gameplay video or let me get hands on time with the game (not with the special made game convention client but the actual full client) and I'll actually be able to say whether or not I would want to get into the game.

you are comparing a game like this to wildstar that absolutely needs to get the word out about their game.

in this case they are controlling what information is being released for obvious reasons.

any little bit of information that gets released gets dissected and hated on by the mmo community.

the fact that they don't have a gameplay viedo to show everyone right now simply states that the game doesn't yet meet their standards of what they want to show.

you can speculate and come to the conclusion that its because they lack confidence in their product, but i don't think that's accurate at all.

they don't have to show anything until they are ready because marketing will not be a problem for them, like it will be for wildstar or any other relatively unknown game.

people are just going to have to wait to see the gameplay videos and wait to play the betas, those things will inevitably happen before launch.

then you guys can actually have real things to complain about rather than complaining about things you are just speculating might happen.

Originally posted by nightsong89

LOL, We know just as much at this point about Wildstar as we do ESO. General idea what kinda game they wana make and very few details. As I said above, lots of info coming soon or should be with all the conventions coming soon. Like most MMOs, you wont really know much about the game till its a few months from release and the NDA is lifted. Thats common place for MMOs. Nothing to flip out about here lol

Lol this would be Wildstar that is apparently a hybrid game with lots of "sandbox" in it according to the devs.

When you look at what they say in detail though, its basicly wow in space with instanced housing. Nothing remotely sandbox about it.
    Iselin
    Yeah I read the feature list

Got more in common with the secret world than it does daoc.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Iselin

People around here are so obsessed with comparing ESO to DAoC or single player TES games they're missing the obvious.

Limited number of active abilities, some or all weapon-based ( you slot what you wish...class abilities can be totally ignored if you want) ... check.

And although they haven't said yet, I'm willing to bet it will be B2P + cash shop... check.

Love it or hate it, GW2 was by far, the most succesful MMO of the past couple of years at attracting and keeping large numbers playing... you think maybe other devs have been paying attention?

Your guess at B2P + cash shop will be wrong ... check

Originally posted by DAS1337

Bookmarked for future reference.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

I am am about 90% positive this will be a B2P game. 

It would take some brazen balls for a AAA MMO released in 2013 to be sub-based. The quality and variety of F2P games has increased to such an extent that sub-based is now the domain of the starving artist indies or the old MMOs that can still get away with it. Even EQ Next is coming out F2P.

B2P is simply the more honest version of "Get yer Founder Pack Here!" Gw2 showed the way with that as well. The model worked because the released game oozed quality and the GW fan base was huge... Very similar situation here.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

If they add  good mob AI, swtor quallity story based quests and Dynamiv PvE content  combined with choices and faction choices that really matter , then i am sold.  Oh and an AA sstem please...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

It would take some brazen balls for a AAA MMO released in 2013 to be sub-based. The quality and variety of F2P games has increased to such an extent that sub-based is now the domain of the starving artist indies or the old MMOs that can still get away with it. Even EQ Next is coming out F2P.

B2P is simply the more honest version of "Get yer Founder Pack Here!" Gw2 showed the way with that as well. The model worked because the released game oozed quality and the GW fan base was huge... Very similar situation here.

100% agree. 14 odd years of MMOing and glad to support the games I play but I dont think 15 bucks a month is a fair market value. GW2 model or a monthly sub thats much lower IMO would be fair.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

I have a feeling when they said F2P they really meant Freemium with EQN (anyone familiar with SOE models will know this means subscriptions if you intend to play longer term).  I can't see any AAA game going the true F2P route and relying on a cash shop to cover their costs.

I can also see TESO launching as P2P.  But hey we'll find out in a few months :)

Almost all F2P games being released as such currently are still relatively low budget in comparison to this, and if it ends up being the same quality of Neverwinter a lot of people will be dissapointed.  There are still almost no F2P games released with a large budget (even Freemium models).

Also the current subscription in real terms is lower than ever before, significantly moreso than a decade ago, given almost no increase in subscription rates over the length of MMO history, yet other forms of entertainment over that same timeframe having increased hugely.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

There will be two games released this year that will be Sub at launch.  ESO and Wildstar, everything else will be F2P or B2P.  It's pretty obvious from listening to the companies that these two titles believe they have something special worthy of a sub.  Both will probably also have a optional cash shop and I won't guess about how long if ever they go B2P/F2P but I would bet a copy of either game they will launch sub based.

I have no issue with paying for a sub to a fun game.  I still pay for a EQ2 sub (well actually a SOE all access pass) and to this day given the number of hours a week I put into that game feel it's worth it.  If ESO or Wildstar can garner the same kinds of value to me than why wouldn't I pay $15 a month for the game?

Edit: I forgot about FFXIV reborn.  It will be sub to.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

If they add  good mob AI, swtor quallity story based quests and Dynamiv PvE content  combined with choices and faction choices that really matter , then i am sold.  Oh and an AA sstem please...

A lot of the details get lost in these forums-drowned out by the complaints some have over the basic design decisions. But it seems lIke they'e working on just about every thing you mention: mobs that are intelligent enough to know how many and what types of players they're facing and synergize their own abilities, 

There are a lot of confirmed details over at Tamriel Foundry in their development FAQ: http://tamrielfoundry.com/development-faq/

Have a look. 15 minutes there will net you more solid detail about the game than 3 months here :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED