Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"MMORPG.com Defiance Game Sweepstakes!" questions

rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185

i saw the contest rules, age name address...wtf they need this for? i thought winner would just get a code or download key or something.

i got 4 tickets from 20 days for nothing, never gonna enter anothe rmmorpg event again these bastards -_-

hallo ~_~

Comments

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by rommello

i saw the contest rules, age name address...wtf they need this for? i thought winner would just get a code or download key or something.

i got 4 tickets from 20 days for nothing, never gonna enter anothe rmmorpg event again these bastards -_-

Don't look too much into it. It's a contest, they probably need to do something like this. Age because your 7 year old son can't enter a contest like this. Address because not every country is eligible for prizes by law. Name probably because they want to know that Jonathan Smith won the contest rather than xXHeresJohnnyXx. You want free stuff but have a problem giving your age or name to get it? Also keep in mind it's an online game, there's an account tied to who you are, which is another reason they could be asking it, so you don't sell the key/account you win.

Don't understand the second paragraph. I don't get why you're complaining. It's a chance for a free thing. It's a 1/900 chance so don't expect to win anything, but you only have to click a single button to enter. What's the trouble?

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185

most people make accounts with fake data -_-

a button to enter? its much more than that

hallo ~_~

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

There are a variety of reasons. Most times it is because the item being given away in the contest is a tax write off as advertising, or some other such legality, that requires the company to provide winner information. 

Secondly there is the issue that lottery style games are illegal in some areas, and have age requirements in other areas. So if your state has an age requirement of 18 years old to play the lottery, and they allow you to win this lottery at the age of 16, they just got hit with a contributiong to the deliquincy of a minor charge. 

The game also ended up with a "M" for Mature rating which means that it can not be sold, or given to a minor. It is illegal and also a contributing charge. 

Not so nice guy!

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

No, most people don't do that.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

No, most people don't do that.

yeah, not most. There are a few trolls here that have made multiple accounts to harrass but that is about it. 

Not so nice guy!

• aliton12aliton12 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks mmorpg for your kind of giveaway of Defiance . . . I'm looking forward the announce of winner soon. And Good luck to ya all.
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Winners are posted: http://www.mmorpg.com/contests/defiance_sweeps.cfm

We only ask your name/address/etc when you are picked as a winner and are claiming a prize.  This is pretty standard if anyone is giving you free stuff from a sweepstakes.  

Congrats to those that were selected!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by Admin

We only ask your name/address/etc when you are picked as a winner and are claiming a prize.  This is pretty standard if anyone is giving you free stuff from a sweepstakes.  

Sorry have an inpatient question,

How long does it take for the code to be sent out?

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    The standard rule is 4-8 weeks. However, being DLGamer digital download codes you will probably have it within a week or two of us confirming all the winners and getting the list over to DLGamer for distribution.  Congrats!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

What am I missing here, I don't understand what you're so upset about.

The age, name, and address of entries was only taken from the winners. And you are correct, the winners will just get a code or download key, probably via e-mail, and most likely directly from the sponsor of the contest, or maybe through this site as an intermediary.

You got 4 entries from logging into the site on 20 different days, that didn't mean you were ensured a win, it just means you got 4 separate entries.

So, again, what makes you so upset that you are "never gonna enter another mmorpg event again", and call the admins of the site and contest "bastards"? If it's just b/c you didn't win, well I guess I can understand some disappointment, but not enough to make a post like this.

• TeshrrarTeshrrar Member Posts: 26
    Can I use that topic to ask: I could win living on Brazil? A lot of sites exclude us from their contests , and I didn't looked for anything about that on contest rules because the participarion was automatic. So, I tried be lucky. =)
  • Bernini000Bernini000 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Admin

Thanks for the link, it disappeared from the frontpage so had to trawl the forums for info.