Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[email protected] (ArenaNet) Was I just hacked?

jmlane223jmlane223 Member UncommonPosts: 197

So is that GW2 actual email address? If so then the people who have lately been talking about their account's being compromised and not knowing how feel like real claims. I say this because I myself then have somehow been hacked and have no idea how. The only thing connected to my gw2 account is one email, that email contains a completely different password than my newly used GW2 password yet I get an email about an attempted login. I have not played the game since a few days after early access started (it was fun, but then I got my PS2 invite and can not be pulled away from that game!) I would be vary wary about your account and its security. Go ahead and check my forum posts, you wont see any trends bashing GW2, I dont really ever post here just read. Here is what the email said.

A login attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

Address: 180.124.43.228
City: Beijing
Region: 22

This location is approximated based on information provided by your Internet Service Provider. If in doubt, deny the request and try again.

For security purposes, we alert you each time your account is accessed from an unrecognized location. To authenticate this login attempt, please click the link below:

(DELETED LINK)

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://en.support.guildwars2.com/
Thanks!
--The ArenaNet Team

Just to restate, my email and game passwords are not the same and I assure you the couple days I played I did not purchase anything from a third party (gold sellers) nor even any gems ingame. Using uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special characters (different for each account I posses, though relivant passwords to ME) I have no idea how this would happen.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Change your password now. In the account section of the GW2 site you can kick them out as well. (I think PW reset may be disabled at this time...)

Security link, that's where you want. https://account.guildwars2.com/account/security

Oderint, dum metuant.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by jmlane223

So is that GW2 actual email address? If so then the people who have lately been talking about their account's being compromised and not knowing how feel like real claims. I say this because I myself then have somehow been hacked and have no idea how. The only thing connected to my gw2 account is one email, that email contains a completely different password than my newly used GW2 password yet I get an email about an attempted login. I have not played the game since a few days after early access started (it was fun, but then I got my PS2 invite and can not be pulled away from that game!) I would be vary wary about your account and its security. Go ahead and check my forum posts, you wont see any trends bashing GW2, I dont really ever post here just read. Here is what the email said.

A login attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

Address: 180.124.43.228
    City: Beijing
    Region: 22

This location is approximated based on information provided by your Internet Service Provider. If in doubt, deny the request and try again.

For security purposes, we alert you each time your account is accessed from an unrecognized location. To authenticate this login attempt, please click the link below:

(DELETED LINK)

Need help or have questions about your Guild Wars account? Visit our support site: http://en.support.guildwars2.com/
    Thanks!
    --The ArenaNet Team

Just to restate, my email and game passwords are not the same and I assure you the couple days I played I did not purchase anything from a third party (gold sellers) nor even any gems ingame. Using uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special characters (different for each account I posses, though relivant passwords to ME) I have no idea how this would happen.

All I can do is say stay away from arena net right now.  I had an account, was logging in playing.  Then saw the messages saying someone attempted to change my pw, if it wasn't me don't worry about it.  Then I went to log in the game and it said no one with my email account was found.  I've messaged Arena net for 4 days and they have not even as much as responded to me.  I have two other friends in the same boat as me...very sad...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    I got the same email before I had even installed the game. I assume it is from my GW1 account but this is ridiculous. Have recieved that email a few times since.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• jmlane223jmlane223 Member UncommonPosts: 197
    The only forum/gaming website I use period is mmorpg.com (still a different password than my gw2 account so does not matter) and dont think they were hacked, so I have a feeling they are blaiming another 'guild wars 2 fan site' being hacked as a scapegoat. This is literally the first time I have ever had account security issues.
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Apparently you can change your email address (which is your login), do that as well as changing the password. DO NOT use the same email address that you've used in other things that possibly got leaked out into the open, hackers in China and other countries probably attempt to use those email addresses they've found. I've gotten a couple phishing emails about GW2 even before release and they weren't even on email addresses I use for the game.

ArenaNet needs to frigging add security question, and authenticators is the big deal.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

I also have a friend in China apparently.
    Address: 113.73.144.255
    City: Zhongshan
    Region: 30
    This is the first time I have been compromised and it is also the first time I have been stupid enough to use the same password as I use for this site.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I would change both my password and my mail adress/accountname for the game. You just cant be too careful.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Loke666
    I would change both my password and my mail adress/accountname for the game. You just cant be too careful.

I get that things happen...but the fact that they are not even responding to people is pathetic.  I'm on 5 days now with them not responding...2 accounts charged back...oh well...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• leovinousleovinous Member Posts: 38
    I don't even have a GW2 account and i am getting these e-mail. I did have a GW for a while but didn't get into the game. the sad part is, i can make a support ticket but i have a feeling that it will not go anywhere. so i am trying to figure out how they got my information.

Have you not read the Bible?
    Oh, yeah, yeah... Not all of it. Actually, I'm listening to it on tape.
    Don't tell me how it ends.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I've been getting emails stating that they figure I've been trying to sell my account. I haven't responded and haven't had any problems. I won't follow links in emails unless I am positive about the validity of the email. Maybe I better look into it more before something happens to my account. I think I'll change my password right after a format on my gaming rig.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I've been getting emails stating that they figure I've been trying to sell my account. I haven't responded and haven't had any problems. I won't follow links in emails unless I am positive about the validity of the email. Maybe I better look into it more before something happens to my account. I think I'll change my password right after a format on my gaming rig.

Come on folks Anet isn't going to send you an email telling you they think you are trying to sell your account .... Anyone who bit on that and gave away their password deserves to loose a lot more than just a game account

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by leovinous
    I don't even have a GW2 account and i am getting these e-mail. I did have a GW for a while but didn't get into the game. the sad part is, i can make a support ticket but i have a feeling that it will not go anywhere. so i am trying to figure out how they got my information.

They don't have your information untill you give it to them

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Please don't necro old threads.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.