Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with the "I hope this game fails" crowd?

124»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

4.) and finally some Posters here like me are just former Idealists that have had one too many of our dreams turned into a flaming grocery bag on our Porch, and now we tend to be cynical about everything.

Sounds familiar, in fact:

"In Plato's Phaedo, Socrates defines the misanthrope in relation to his fellow man: "Misanthropy develops when without art one puts complete trust in somebody thinking the man absolutely true and sound and reliable and then a little later discovers him to be bad and unreliable...and when it happens to someone often...he ends up...hating everyone."[3] Misanthropy, then, is presented as the result of thwarted expectations or even excessively naive optimism, since Plato argues that "art" would have allowed the potential misanthrope to recognize that the majority of men are to be found in between good and evil."

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

I try to never let my cynical nature cause me to wish any MMO to fail, even the ones I am disgusted with.

Perhaps the difference between simple (or severe) cynicism and misanthropy is that feeling of betrayal by someone (developers, producers) that you trusted.

Nothing's more bitter than a gamer with his addiction "ruined"?

That only explains how the gamer version of misanthropes are born, not how or why they persist for years (decades?) later. But there's quite a lot of Fanboy-becomes-Hater in Socrate's viewpoint.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95

that crowd makes up 70% of the users here since forever. they hated DAoC, SWG, EQ, FFXI, AO and others in their day. they hate on upcoming games and they revere games once they're shut down or ten years old and defunct(if the game is still "alive" and unpopular it's not bashed but if it's still well liked they hate it here).

• MMOPapaMMOPapa Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I think it has to do with WoW.  Meaning that the success of WoW has stunted MMO development in that everyone is copying a lot of features and thus in essence create a WoW clone.

I love this term, 'WoW Clone' cause no one can tell me what unique aspect World of Warcraft featured upon release that wasn't already done by one of it's many predecessors... stupidest term to ever become popular, worse than YOLO.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Wow clone means wow clone. Lotr developers tried to copy the overall pattern Of wow, including many of it features (of which some derived from earlier games).

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    As an example ^^

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MMOPapaMMOPapa Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    (of which some derived from earlier games).

Challenge: Name one that was not. :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by MMOPapa

Challenge: Name one that was not. :)

Flight paths?

Flying was still only ~6 months old in MMOs (to my knowledge) at the time of WoW's launch date. CoH did have Flight earlier, but not by a lot (almost certainly not enough lead-time to be the result of 'cloning')

Of course, I certainly wasn't playing every title in the mmo universe at that time, maybe someone/where else had it even earlier to be 'cloned'. Anybody remember a flying mount or whatever in, say, early '03?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• redthoughtredthought Member Posts: 10
    I hope most mmos fail because most of them are just really bad and unimaginative.  I want developers to gain some ambition and surprise  me with a game that breaks new barriers and captivates the mmo audience, and then proves their talent by obtaining a player base that rivals wow and eve dominance. 
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Its time for games to shut down.  There are too many MMOs as there is right now and just barely making it MMOs are no good for the genera.  
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    When I read the dross that comes from fanboys of certain titles on here I find myself wanting the game to fail. Their willful blindness to their chosen games faults and shortcomings, or, their overly high expectation of a game not yet released makes me want to type a strongly worded post. If I still believed in hell, I would like to think that there is a special place for these people -  where they have to endure playing through the worse aspects of their chosen game for eternity.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    When I read the dross that comes from fanboys of certain titles on here I find myself wanting the game to fail. Their willful blindness to their chosen games faults and shortcomings, or, their overly high expectation of a game not yet released makes me want to type a strongly worded post. If I still believed in hell, I would like to think that there is a special place for these people -  where they have to endure playing through the worse aspects of their chosen game for eternity.

Wow.... talk about being over sensitive. Not that i appreciate attitude of fanboys either but you are way over reacting.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Wow.... talk about being over sensitive. Not that i appreciate attitude of fanboys either but you are way over reacting.

I am not bloody well over reacting!!!! Dammit I quit these forums, all I get is grief............

• redthoughtredthought Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

I am not bloody well over reacting!!!! Dammit I quit these forums, all I get is grief............

ROFL  I hope you are trolling good sir.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It's the same crowd that, when they see someone else doing a different job making more money than them say "lower his wages!" Instead of "raise my wages!"

Dumb is dumb, Jim. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I hope this thread fails!!!
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Nobadeeftw
    Originally posted by Robokapp

we feel the death of games we don't enjoy might shift development more in the direction we prefer.

see: preset rise of sandboxes after many themeparks including swtor failed.

Completely agree with this.  The MMO community, from my experience, has spiraled downward.  Players care less about the greater good and more about their self-interests (it's all about me).  Leading to mindless grind fests like we have in MMOs today that take the player on a railway to nowhere.  Sandboxes actually worked, sure, they didn't attract millions and millions of players; but, they certainly weren't failures because they lacked any "endgame".  Endgame grinding became somewhat of a standard after WoW became a huge success.  Now people have that set in their brains as an expectation for what an MMORPG "MUST HAVE".  I can think of an MMORPG right off the top of my head that has been a huge success and is still growing, it has no end game grinding.  It's purely a sandbox.  Granted the community in EVE isn't very hospitable; but, it shows that a sandbox works, even today.

Anyone see the irony here? Bemoaning that "Players care less about the greater good and more about their self-interests" while hoping for games to shut down because you, personally, don't like them?

• Zipp_23Zipp_23 Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Robokapp

we feel the death of games we don't enjoy might shift development more in the direction we prefer.

see: preset rise of sandboxes after many themeparks including swtor failed.

the red part + hate

people are hateful,  didnt you notice?

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I generally only hope games fail if they're generic pieces of shit. If games failed more, it would force the developers to try new things and think outside of the box in order to make one that doesn't fail.

Obviously this is just an opinion, since there will always be people enjoying what I consider to be the worst trash in gaming, and vice versa.

SWTOR is a prime example.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

We hates em and hope they fails so that we can Get bored of it all, and for once try to live life outside of the computer.

haha....

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I don't really care for the direction that MMO's are taking.  However if a game. no matter how much I hate it lets people enjoy themselves I am all for it.