Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will WildStar be the next Big MMO?

Comments

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

I can't speak for the quality of this game since I haven't played it (yet?) but if you dismiss something because it is cartoony, you're missing out on a lot of funny and/or cool stuff.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I definitely believe WS can and probably will become a great MMO that catches a lot of peoples interest. As for coming close to WoW subs, I doubt it...But I suppose anything is possible. I would very much enjoy watching WoW crash and burn because of there terrible dev team/balance attempts and the casualization they have been doing of late. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by funcon
    Will WildStar be the next Big MMO?

I prefer this:   Will Wildstar be the next fun mmo?

I dont need a mmo to be a smash hit to enjoy it

So true. I think I would rather it obtain a modest amount of people. That way the developers don't get to bigheaded and you don't usually get the horrible community that follows along with being a huge game. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• MasterZedXMasterZedX Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Blade & Soul! Who cares about wildstar.....well i do. BUT I STILL WANT B&S! 
  • RogueCasterRogueCaster Member Posts: 8

WildStar looks like it could be fun. Too bad NCsoft will never see another dollar from me. NCsoft screwed over CoH, and ruined Aion. There are too many good games coming out to consider a game from a company that has shown it's customers and players so much hate.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Here are some reason why Wildstar SHOULD be the next big thing:

- Unite the questing system of WoW with the combat system of GW2.

- Use the Journal and Public Quest from WAR united with some Dynamic Content like GW2

- It has Housing with tons of content from the get go developed as a main feature instead than a side thing and it looks amazing. Your house is a whole quest hub, not just a fancy place to show your friends.

- Looks and feel inredible polished, Blizzard level. Everyone that tried at PAX was impressed by the smoothness of the combat and the feel of the game, which is one of the biggest thing WoW has going for itself.

- They focus on End game, called Elder Game, in a wide variety of ways with Raids, Dungeons but also solo content (halleuliah) and small group content.

- the 4 path system add variety, replayability and seems quite cool.

- Great production values. Great humor.

- Proprietary engine developed in the last 8 years (it means the publisher is letting the devs do what THEY want with no pressure).

However, the fact this goes head to head with Elder Scrolls Online means it is fighting an impossible battle. Everyone and their cats knows of ESO, even the one that do not care about it. Very few knows of Wildstar, so I think they will fight bravely and be smashed by ESO.

Hopefully, people will then notice Wildstar once they spread out from ESO, but I would not hold my breath on that one.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    I am personally very excited for Wildstar, its refreshing to see an upcoming title focusing on what players want with a dash of humor.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Volkmar

- Use the Journal and Public Quest from WAR united with some Dynamic Content like GW2

- It has Housing with tons of content from the get go developed as a main feature instead than a side thing and it looks amazing. Your house is a whole quest hub, not just a fancy place to show your friends.

- Looks and feel inredible polished, Blizzard level. Everyone that tried at PAX was impressed by the smoothness of the combat and the feel of the game, which is one of the biggest thing WoW has going for itself.

- They focus on End game, called Elder Game, in a wide variety of ways with Raids, Dungeons but also solo content (halleuliah) and small group content.

- Proprietary engine developed in the last 8 years (it means the publisher is letting the devs do what THEY want with no pressure).

However, the fact this goes head to head with Elder Scrolls Online means it is fighting an impossible battle. Everyone and their cats knows of ESO, even the one that do not care about it. Very few knows of Wildstar, so I think they will fight bravely and be smashed by ESO.

Hopefully, people will then notice Wildstar once they spread out from ESO, but I would not hold my breath on that one.

Judging by the recetpion of ESO, I have more confidence in this one. Their ideas are stronger and better implemented, from what has been seen. Sure, ESO is a well known IP but I don't believe that guarantees its success over this. I'd like to think that MMO gamers are aware of the games that are upcoming, and thus aware of this title.

• MytobMytob Member Posts: 79
    I have high hopes for this game. If it is as fun as it seems in the videos we are in for a blast i think.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    The next big mmo will be on console now that they will have the capability.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

next big mmo? i don't know. a promising one? sure.

i m waiting for this tittle. i like most of what i have seen, except the combat. i don't like raiding (especially large scale) without combat being tab target.

love graphics, mood, chars, world, options and almost everything else except combat.

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128
    same game again... it wont success
  • PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Destai

Judging by the recetpion of ESO, I have more confidence in this one. Their ideas are stronger and better implemented, from what has been seen. Sure, ESO is a well known IP but I don't believe that guarantees its success over this. I'd like to think that MMO gamers are aware of the games that are upcoming, and thus aware of this title.

I have the same feeling you do.  My thoughts are that ESO will go the same route Star Wars the Old Republic did.  Many will buy it for the name, but then leave when it falls short of many areas of MMO game play.  This one seems to have quite a lot.  I'm hoping they add /follow, macros and allow as many accounts a player can play for multi-boxing.  If they do that, they will get a lot more players.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616

So many games were suppose to be the next wow status breakthrough, but it never happened. Some very drastic changes to the mmorpg market need to occur that we aren't seeing currently for this to happen which I think sandbox mmorpgs are paving the way for.

A game modeled after WoW won't ever match the success of that game, ever. A game will need to be totally unique, have close to limitless player made content/features/content. extremely well polished.

MurderHerd

• EnsiferEnsifer Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Game should be able to get a decent amount of popularity probably wont get the hype that guild wars 2 did but with what we have seen so far hopefully it will be able to keep the players from the hype it does get, unlike the game mentioned above.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Yes.  Predicting this now.  WoW Raiding + Blend of WoW and GW2 Combat + 50% of development effort going to endgame content + tons of freedom = Wildstar.

I wonder how people still think a slightly different mashup of old concepts can ever become the next "big thing"...

I played wow for 5 years but nothing after it for longer than 6 months (that being AoC) why couldn't it be the next big thing? I am definitely interested in it, I liked wows aesthetics so Wildstars being similar is a plus, and I definitely love the humor I am seeing in Wildstar so I think its on the right track.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by Prepared
    Originally posted by Destai

I have the same feeling you do.  My thoughts are that ESO will go the same route Star Wars the Old Republic did.  Many will buy it for the name, but then leave when it falls short of many areas of MMO game play.  This one seems to have quite a lot.  I'm hoping they add /follow, macros and allow as many accounts a player can play for multi-boxing.  If they do that, they will get a lot more players.

I really hope you guys are right cause I somehow prefer this over ESO,  but my gut feelings have been wrong before and I realize that Elder Scrolls is really huge while nobody knows of Wildstar. :P

They still have several months to ramp the hype campaign up so they might get the word out there :D

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

One thing I really like is that, during Totalbiscuits sneak peak of the game, the Carbine representative (I believe he was a producer) said that when they open up the game to more testers, they will only go to the next stage of beta if the feedback is good.  If the feedback isn't good, they will continue to work on the game internally and hold off from launching.

So great to hear that, especially with so many mmos released now that 'cut corners'.  Its like, the DEVELOPERS actually have the final say on the product, NOT management - a welcoming notion.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Yes.  Predicting this now.  WoW Raiding + Blend of WoW and GW2 Combat + 50% of development effort going to endgame content + tons of freedom = Wildstar.

I wonder how people still think a slightly different mashup of old concepts can ever become the next "big thing"...

Because there is nothing really new I can think of to implement in an MMO, if it can be done, most likely it has been done.  The trick is finding the right kind of "mashup" and innovating upon that and then adding your own twist. 

I wonder how people can think there is something new that can be done.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

I think wildstar will be great, but I don't think it's going to start off with a monstrous following.  It is releasing a horrible time, in direct competition with ESO.

My prediction:  ESO will pull in millions of sales, pulling people away from current MMO's GW2, and potential consumers for new MMO's (wildstar).  One to two months in ESO will start to bleed subs once people realize the major flaws inherent in the game.  People will get flashbacks of SW:TOR

Meanwhile, wildstar will release behind the huge cloud that is ESO.  It will garner a small following 400-800k subs.  And steadily rise once people realize just how well done the game is.  Ending up with 1.5mil subs within 8 months.

These are just my predictions.  We'll see if I'm right.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. We all know the bullet points and most everything I have heard sounds great. I'm always a little leery about Dev's hyping their game. While I love the videos, I seem to remember Devs being just as funny on the Warhammer game. And that game failed for most people. But it has a lot of ingredients that make great games and its a non fantasy setting, which is awesome. Not to mention the housing is probably the best I've seen so far.

I think it will do well, and with the utter disappoint that ESO is turning out to be, they might just do better than we think.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    It has just as much chance as anything else at being the next big thing.Unlike others here I've given up trying to predict how the general gaming populace will react to anything and unlike others have no delusions about the vocal factions here being representative of said populace.
  • lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    ESO is reminding me more and more of SWTOR, their development process, how the release new info on the game, the shadiness, etc, etc,. So I'm kind of hoping w* blows it up!
  • AlveradAlverad Member Posts: 12
    So true:(  They took a great IP, and appear to have no idea what to do it it.  It's only now that bits and pieces are starting to shape up and actually have a direction - and that is not PVE.  Hardly competition.  Plus in all honesty, there is enough players out there to keep multiple publishers rich and happy.   WS and ESO are very different, from art style to content focus.  I"m sure they can coexist quite happily:)
  • fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I was so completely turned off by screens for this game that looked like they could have been pulled from WoW that I was ready to just cross it completely off my list of games to watch.

Well, I've been watching some HD vids from the devs and I actually feel a lot better about the aesthetics than I did.

MMOs are just hype until they actually deliver, but if they can deliver on most of what they've hyped, yeah, Wildstar could be the next "Big MMO".

I think a lot will depend on the business model. If it's B2P, with a balanced cash shop like GW2, I'd pre-order the moment it was able. If it's subscription based, the game will go on the back burner and will have to prove itself before I'd spend a dime on it. GW2 has proven that for a good game B2P works as a business model and is beneficial for the long term health of the game.

So, yeah, I'm now fine with the visuals, love some of the innovative things the devs are doing with the game, if the game isn't B2P I'd still probably take a pass and wait for the three month reviews.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated