Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do I have more fun playing Age of Empires: The Conquerors than any MMO?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
Old ass Age of Empires keeps me entertained more than any MMO's out there. How is this possible? I used to love MMO's. Well, only one actually. The only MMO I was addicted to and played a lot was WoW. I tried LORTO, SWTOR, Rift but can never find that magical feeling I had when I first stepped foot in Azeroth,

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by funcon
    Old ass Age of Empires keeps me entertained more than any MMO's out there. How is this possible? I used to love MMO's. Well, only one actually. The only MMO I was addicted to and played a lot was WoW. I tried LORTO, SWTOR, Rift but can never find that magical feeling I had when I first stepped foot in Azeroth,

Maybe stick to multiplayer strategy games then.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Because you like those games more?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• MMOPapaMMOPapa Member Posts: 121

'Than' is a word of comparison... you can't really compare an MMO to an RTS.

You just came out of the closet and realized you're a 'Real-Time Strategicsexual'.

Either that or you're going through a phase. image

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I think it's because there's some challenge in AOE.

Asdar

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Maybe you are getting old and enjoy having other old stuff around you?

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

3-days prior, you posted:

"Anyone out there like me? Can't get immersed in any MMORPG?

Here is my MMO gaming history: My first was WoW back in 2005. I stumbled apon it and back then did not know what an MMO was until I played WoW. I was very addicted to it and played for years. After that, I tried LOTRO, Rift, SWTOR but never got that feeling I had like when I first played WoW.

But there is one game that has me addicted and it is not even an MMO. It is an old game called Age of Empires: The Conquerors. I started playing this game back in 2004, on and off for years. It is still very fun to play vs others after all these years.

So what do you guys think? Am I done with MMO's? Am I more of an RTS type of player? The current MMO's I am waiting on is WildStar, Elder Scrolls Online and ArcheAge. But I have a feeling all of these will not keep my attention for long."

I'm guessing you prefer RTS-style play. There's nothing wrong with that. Stop trying to psychoanalyze the situation. 

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ArchaegeoArchaegeo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Its the same for everyone, your first MMO is an experience/feeling that you spend years and many games trying to recapture, but you can't.

Those of us who started in EQ never really were happy again as when we first played it.

You just have to look for the good in the new game.

Explorer 73% Achiever 53% Socializer 53% Killer 20%

• BrueskieBrueskie Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by Archaegeo

Its the same for everyone, your first MMO is an experience/feeling that you spend years and many games trying to recapture, but you can't.

Those of us who started in EQ never really were happy again as when we first played it.

You just have to look for the good in the new game.

I had the same experience in my three follow-up MMORPGs to Ultimate Online: Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, and EQ2. I found all incredibly fun and immersive in their heydays. I got my first this-ain't-doing-it-for-me feeling when I began playing WoW, though it was the one I played the longest because that's where all my friends were.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    For the same reason I love role playing games but hate all NHL hockey games. Because I'm just not a fan of the genre.