Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Conference call: SWTOR with just under 500k subs, 1.7 million free to play

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Wait a sec!  SWTOR is now most popular mmo after wow ! Nice job :)

It was such a nice job alright.  They went from dozens of servers to just 8,  went f2p, added a cash shop, and released a very shallow expansion that should really be considered a DLC.  All this in around a year too.

The fact that they mentioned "doubled" doesn't mean anything, because it's too vague.  Doubled from what exact number?

• tintilinictintilinic Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
     Eve Online does not have close to 500K subs.

Now go and find statement from CCP where they say they have over 500k subs.

SWTOR being no.2. sub MMO. Why do they make these statements which get debunked at no more or less on thier investor conference call. rofl

Originally posted by observer

The fact that they mentioned "doubled" doesn't mean anything, because it's too vague.  Doubled from what exact number?

Its standard corporate mumbo jumbo that tell nothing and usually tries to make bad things look good (well better than they are really)

You see how they put numbers with successful games.

You see how they put generalized corporate mumbo jumbo with not successful ones.

Standard practice.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Vlacke

Good numbers indeed.

SWTOR is growing both in term of the game's quality and the number of people playing it, all the recent content with Makeb was very good and new update is on the way, the fact of the matter is that this game is much better now than it was six+ months ago.

With the exclusive SW licence EA just obtained from Disney i can see them giving a lot more money to Bioware in order to expand and improve this game.

That is why i am also of the opinion that this deal they made with Disney is a good thing for SW core games, the IP is huge, new movies are in the works, EA has the money, 3 great devoper studios, Bioware, Visceral and of course Dice who will hopefully make Battlefront 3, this is a big chance for them, an opportunity, and i think and hope they will do right.

Between  this last conference call, the Disney announcement and the recent Bioware announcement on future content I think it's safe to say that TOR isn't going anywhere anytime soon. :)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Good numbers indeed.

SWTOR is growing both in term of the game's quality and the number of people playing it, all the recent content with Makeb was very good and new update is on the way, the fact of the matter is that this game is much better now than it was six+ months ago.

With the exclusive SW licence EA just obtained from Disney i can see them giving a lot more money to Bioware in order to expand and improve this game.

That is why i am also of the opinion that this deal they made with Disney is a good thing for SW core games, the IP is huge, new movies are in the works, EA has the money, 3 great devoper studios, Bioware, Visceral and of course Dice who will hopefully make Battlefront 3, this is a big chance for them, an opportunity, and i think and hope they will do right.

Between  this last conference call, the Disney announcement and the recent Bioware announcement on future content I think it's safe to say that TOR isn't going anywhere anytime soon. :)

And this is what driving all haters crazy. It was supposed to be shut down by now. ;p

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Good numbers indeed.

And this is what driving all haters crazy. It was supposed to be shut down by now. ;p

They also said that SWTOR is designed as a sub game and if you are succesfull you dont need all that F2P nonsense.

Poof, not even a year later...

They also said they will keep whole core dev team after launch and have monthly content updates

Poof, not even 6 months later...

They also said Makeb will be free and come before end of 2012

Poof a year later...

Guess some people never learn: what they say has exactly 0 weight

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Bottom line....if you have a stack of cheese with a price tag on them....they will all be gone when you put a sign in front of that stack that says "free".

Let's party like it is 1863!

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by tintilinic

Now go and find statement from CCP where they say they have over 500k subs.

SWTOR being no.2. sub MMO. Why do they make these statements which get debunked at no more or less on thier investor conference call. rofl

EA never said they were the number 2 sub based MMO, some dude on this forum did.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by tintilinic

Good numbers indeed.

They also said that SWTOR is designed as a sub game and if you are succesfull you dont need all that F2P nonsense.

Poof, not even a year later...

They also said they will keep whole core dev team after launch and have monthly content updates

Poof, not even 6 months later...

They also said Makeb will be free and come before end of 2012

Poof a year later...

Guess some people never learn: what they say has exactly 0 weight

Oh the irony.. lol

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Oh yes they do.

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/article/74405/eve-online-surpasses-500-000-subscribers-worldwide

• Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Well, and well enough aren't really the same thing. 

Sounds like EA feels it's doing well, but not well enough as they they hoped. 

Wouldn't be surprising considering how much it cost to produce.  What it cost to produce is always going to be one of the first things I would expect them to think of; even when it makes a profit that initial investment may not be "worth it". 

If I was EA, I don't think I'd write home about a game that costs hundreds of millions, and doesn't offer a WoW like return. 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Good numbers indeed.

Of the three announcements I'd wager to say that it was the Disney/EA one that drove the biggest stake through their wet dreams. You should see the comments in that thread. It's like someone died.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• vadess40vadess40 Member UncommonPosts: 38

Good numbers indeed.

I agree with this state. Sure, SWTOR wasn't perfect at the beginning but with the changes being made and how Bioware and EA are handling things, it is getting better. Furthermore, I've found that the two have learned from their mistakes and before it was too late to fix them.  I really enjoyed playing through Makeb and I LOVE Scum and Villiany: The bosses are imaginative and fun, not what I expected, and they're quite challenging on hard mode. When S&V has a NiM mode... I'm gonna kiss sleep that night goodbye.

Good numbers indeed.

Of the three announcements I'd wager to say that it was the Disney/EA one that drove the biggest stake through their wet dreams. You should see the comments in that thread. It's like someone died.

I wish I had all of teh haters' free time... I'd spend it better.

Originally posted by vadess40

Good numbers indeed.

Like complaining about haters?

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Everquest has been profitable for over 10 years with under 200k subs and EQ2 has been profitable for half as long with under 300k.   After both games went f2p revenue tripled in both.   If they can be profitable with a f2p/sub hybrid model swtor can also.

People are ignorant about the budget.   Box/Digital sales covered most of what you claim to be the budget of the game.

At 500k subs * 15$ a month * 12 months a year = 90m a year + what the cash shop is making (which i bet is twice what the subs make).

If you do not think this game has payed off the development  budget and is profitable you're a dumbass who just post to hate on swtor.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Good numbers indeed.

Like complaining about haters?

Maybe... Then again, most of my free time is spent focusing on a game I enjoy playing.

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by DaRoamer
    Just announced on the EA 4th quarter conference call.  Subs currently sitting at just under half a million subs, 1.7 million new free to play players since Nov and doubled revenues.  Sub number still growing.

Well i can tell you that those numbers are slanted big time.How can they say 1.7 f2p since November?You can only goto level 20 and you can do that in anywhere from 2-5 days.So ALL thosee f2p subs from November are either done playing or don't care to play anymore.

That part should have been obvious,they were definitely trying to inflate  numbers here.So if they are willing to mislead the F2p,why would i think any different on the subs?They are probably counting every single sub they have had since November.

Approx 20 servers ,around 35k per server is around 700k total.I notice only the 9 US servers are busy but might be the time of day.

I would say still not bad,but not the numbers they are claiming.

Here is some REAL numbers.EA stock has fallen almost 40% since that November,this also lead to the recent STEP down or imo told to relieve himself of his duties CEO.If things are going well or holding steadfast,they don't drop that badly and people don't step down or get fired.

Almost all of the blame was on this game,so it is not doing as well as claim.

Actually, now F2P is levels 1-50, not 1-20, or 1-55 if you bought the ROTHC expansion.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    I don't like their freemium model, but I really hope this game continues to grow :)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

Originally posted by RavingRabbid
    People can make up sub numbers without links all they want to hate/troll this game. The bottom line is that Im enjoying the game and its gotten better. Keep it up EA/bioware! image

*high five* Agreed.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Oh yes they do.

http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/article/74405/eve-online-surpasses-500-000-subscribers-worldwide

Then its not #2 behind WoW. I was talking about western subs because I know it did not have over 500K over here. If we are talking about World Wide sub then games like Aion, Blade and Soul, Lineage 1 and Lineage 2 have subs in the millions. 500K world wide is nonthing.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid
    People can make up sub numbers without links all they want to hate/troll this game. The bottom line is that Im enjoying the game and its gotten better. Keep it up EA/bioware! image

*high five* Agreed.

Well yes i agree that should be the only reason we look at a game on a personal level and how we judge it,based on our own opinion.

This was however a big issue,big enough that the CEO stepped down or so they say,i find that really hard to believe.He didn't just step down,he was removed entirely from the picture.The EA stock went down 40% under his lead,that is a massive amount of money,far more than the game is involved on it's own.

However all the blame was laid at this game's feet.So when you have the people that really matter,the people with the huge pocket books,it becomes a really big deal.

BTW that CEO was considered by big names outside the industry as the best thing that ever happened to EA,other people actually liked him.The guy that took back power is the guy the industry could not stand.SO to see him go imo is again a big deal.

That is all this topic is about the importance of money and how this game affected EA and the future of it.It is really not a reflection of the game from a personal perspective,as mentioned,it ONLY matters to each individual.It only becomes a bigger deal if EA decides to close the game

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Oh yes they do.

Then its not #2 behind WoW. I was talking about western subs because I know it did not have over 500K over here. If we are talking about World Wide sub then games like Aion, Blade and Soul, Lineage 1 and Lineage 2 have subs in the millions. 500K world wide is nonthing.

It is still ahead of SWTOR.

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Vunak23

Wrong.

Lineage 1 and 2 as well as RIFT and AION are much much much bigger than SWTOR in terms of accounts and subs. I even think TERA has more lol. Hell UO has 500k right now. 

Aion and Lineage 2 are both "truly free" (as NC puts it), and are 100% cash shop driven. They haven't had subs in months now.

Not sure about L1 since its service was discontinued in the Western market.

Rift, I'm not sure of population wise. I don't recall Rift having over 500k subs, though.

So.... yeah... Hate to say it (esp. as I *loved* Lineage 2 when it was a fully sub-based MMO), but your info is very off.