Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well, I did it. I've beaten Neverwinter! (On my Guardian Fighter)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    ive been playing like every other day, cept my days off from work where i put in a good 4 to 7 hours and im only 22....then again i like to enjoy my games and not rush thru them and explored the foundry system for some of it.....oh and i stay away from pvp too...i'll probably just play this until Final fantasy ARR or ESO or wildstar let me into their betas....which are the games im really waiting for. Did you even go to the bathroom during all of this grinding?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Aren_D

Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm not buying this. Doesn't sound believable at all without spending cash. With the $200 founders pack, maybe, but not without. I mean, those mount upgrades cost a lot of AD... almost 3,000,000 in total. I can believe someone can power through the game and just grind the endgame token for the gear, that's easily done. 3 million AD though without paying and without exploiting? No chance.

With high prices at release just by selling 4 level 60 epics would make him 2m AD richer without any problem. Considering how fast he got full T2 full set, I won't be surprised if he had a lot of other stuff to sell.

Most definitely, these epics that drop from the dungeons sell for quite a pretty penny. It doesn't take any time at all to make 100,000 AD per piece of equipment. In addition to the expensive equipment dropping the epic dungeons drop quite a lot of rank 4+ enchantments that you can easily upgrade to +5. The game is quite easy to obtain large amounts of AD in a short period of time

Perhaps I'm just not running enough dungeons then to be making that kind of AD. I've made over a million. Once I've got this last PvP set piece.. I'll be doing the dungeons more.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by StonesDK
    I've occasionally have fallen victim to a rogue dealing almost 30,000 damage to me (my entire life bar)

Completely unrelated to anything here but I never understood why some games use those kind of high numbers. You could shave a zero off your life and general damage and it wouldn't even matter. It's doesn't really enhance the game in any way. I personally find it ridiculous and one of those "minor" things that turn me off from playing

The mmorpg genre is filled with video games that claim to have RPG elements.

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    i will say even as a casual player im leveling much quicker than i anticipated , two characters at 20 and 1 at 30. If I had enough time, i'd probably be burned out. Right now it's free and its different and it allowed me to cancel my wow sub and swtor sub temporarily :)
  • Aren_DAren_D Member UncommonPosts: 92

I'm not saying that the foundry isn't fun while you're leveling. However I don't find it really fun after the fact. I've done many of the good foundry quests already and I am waiting for more to come out to give it a second chance. There's still the lack of progression that's the issue from this game that I'm concerned about. Hopefully they'll realize this because the game won't take more than a month to complete for casual players unless they're trying to play as slow as possible.

There is enough progressions for casual gamers, who just play few hours a day. And apparently that's was target audience for NW. I won't be surprised if it takes month or 2 for some of them to get to 60.

"Don't argue with dick-heads, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    its sad that there are many single player games both old and modern where it takes much longer to reach max level than modern mmos...smh

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I did it... it took me 3 days and 3 hours to play through the game from 1-60 and then fully obtain my characters T2 set. I've essentially beaten the game and there's really not much else to do in it. While the Foundry is a nice side feature it truly does not appeal to me as for additional content. 

The combat gameplay within Neverwinter Online is fun and fast paced. As a tank I had a great experience constantly knocking down and knocking back my opponents in PvE and PvP however. Once You get to 60 and do the dungeons (again) there's really not much else to do. The progression is too fast for someone to experience all of the content. I essentially finished the game without even experiencing the 2 final zones. I believe that there will need to be a large addition to the current level cap for the game or drastically reduce the amount of experience you gain while playing.

The gear within the game is very bland and typically you'll have a mix between greens and blues. By the time you get to 40-50 you'll be completely decked out in full blues and if you were lucky enough to find an epic weapon around 38 you'll find that the weapon you found will never be replaced until you're level 60. I'm not joking either. If you run the Gray Wolf Den for example; there are epic pieces of equipment equal to T1 gear at level 60. This greatly hurts the gear progression in the game drastically. Cosmetic appeal for equipment is some what bland. The variety just isn't there. There's about 3-4 different types of armor that you'll see as you progress through the levels and they're all quite similar.

The dungeons are enjoyable. They're not too long and usually run anywhere from 30-45 minutes with a decent team. However, I highly recommend completely skipping the Den of the Mad Dragon in the level range of 30-34. This is due to serious balancing issues with the final boss fight being almost impossible for a well prepared team to tackle. We ended bringing very high level players into the dungeon just to take down the over grown lizard and it was not worth the effort. You'll occasionally have a group that'll struggle with the dungeons however you'll easily be able to complete any other dungeon.

The PvP within Neverwinter with my experience as a Guardian Fighter is quite enjoyable. I built my Guardian with full tank and knockdowns and knock backs. It's like playing an epic ping pong match within these matches. There are some balancing issues and I've occasionally have fallen victim to a rogue dealing almost 30,000 damage to me (my entire life bar). However, for the most part I think many of the classes are some what balanced and only need minor tweaks in their damage. Something I might point out. That if you're an avid PvP Player you'll find that the two arenas do get quite boring after repeating them many times over. By the time I had hit 40 I leveled strictly off of PvP from there on out. This allowed me to completely purchase my entire set of gear by the time I was 60 and instantly equip it. This made me quite unhappy that they'd allow this to be so easily farmed as this gear is essentially on equal terms with T1 Dungeon gear.

The Cash shop is really not worth your time. I played through the entire game in 3 days and was able to obtain enough astral diamonds to afford upgrading my mount completely. I spent 0 dollars on the game and do not see any Pay-to-Win aspects as far as PvE or PvP in this game.

In the end I did enjoy my time playing Neverwinter and it's a good filler while playing the game. However, in my opinion I don't believe there's any longevity that'll come from this game at its current rate. The level grind is too fast and there's truly not much to achieve when you're at max level. The foundry missions are fun even with people putting out some really bad maps. But there's just not enough content within the game to keep the player coming back.

Go head and comment telling me what your experiences with the game were like and I hoped you enjoyed my "little" write up on the game.

Nice write up and grats on level 60. I am also glad you pointed out that you were able to do what you did without spending any money in the cash shop, thus putting to rest about this being P2W or enchantment/rune dependent. Also if I may ask, what level were your companions at after you hit 60? Were you able to level multiple companions to max? Also are you thinking of maybe coming back once training books are introduced to move your companions to the next 2 tiers?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I'm going to go off topic a bit. But is it true that Wildstar is aiming for a more classic level progression like older games? If this is true I might have to look into it more because I'm looking for games that last longer significantly longer than the current games being released.

I doubt any game in the 21 century will be nothing but a single player game with a chat system.  AKA a modern MMO.  I don't think any game since EQ which I played for 7 years daily has kept my attention more than a month.  I basically log into Neverwinter Ctrl-I then start reading a comic.  Finish said comic at which time I am auto logged out of the game, log back in and sell something, and read another comic.  Since game developers took out any risk in games I have no drive to even play them anymore.  If some company would be brave enough to add back in XP loss and Level loss putting more risk in death forcing most of the player base to actually care / learn how to play their roll, I am pretty much done with MMOs.  I can play other engaging single player games where I don't have to read the massive amounts of idiots rambling in chat.

• Aren_DAren_D Member UncommonPosts: 92

I'm going to go off topic a bit. But is it true that Wildstar is aiming for a more classic level progression like older games? If this is true I might have to look into it more because I'm looking for games that last longer significantly longer than the current games being released.

As I know Wildstar has 4 types of possible progressions: soldier, explorer,scientist and settler. So you end up doing different things until you get to max level. So depending on how well they made it and how often all paths cross each other you could level 4 classes different ways.

"Don't argue with dick-heads, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by tkreep
    its sad that there are many single player games both old and modern where it takes much longer to reach max level than modern mmos...smh

Isn't that odd?

um,, what single player game?  Never taken me over 40 for any game, and I've played them all.  Unless you mean the pointless grinding well past what's needed to finish the game. 

second, you want a game that takes longer to level up, why?  Is that as high as your standards go?  Is it good enough that every so often a number goes up by 1? 

If an mmo wouldn't be fun enough to play without the level progression, then it's just not a good game, and surely there's something else more worthy of your time.

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398

Good write-up.. thanks for sharing.

I think this is good news for the game. I don't think there should be much of an issue with an enjoyable game that allows you to play for 80 fun hours at no cost. This will hopefully allow them to capture enough people to support the business while they slowly add content or at least fun social things to help foster the community.

We all know that even with an unlimited budget, its near impossible to provide enough content to keep the hardcore players busy forever (WoW).

I've never understood why developers won't risk taking the NexusTK route: sell XP for stats (health, mana). This way, the game never ends. You keep getting stronger and stronger as you fight monsters at max level. That may sound like a treadmill but when you boil it down, any end-game progression is pretty much the same. You could still couple this with new dungeons, gear, and PvP battleground tiers. Its really the community and social interaction that keeps the fun going strong anyway.

• GoobGoob Member Posts: 398

I think the reasons why are pretty simple.. (1) the market is over-saturated with games (back when the "old" games were around that you mentioned, there were really only a half dozen to choose from) and (2) many of the more patient traditional players have moved on in life and don't have time for these games anymore. Many new gamers want their games to reward them quickly and frequently. I suspect that's why the pace is so quick and the content so easy. I played several of those old games too, and there was no hand-holding and things moved slowly. There wasn't an excessive amount of content either, it just took awhile to get through it. 

I guess my point is that modern gamers don't have the time or patience for the traditional MMO. 

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

I could believe it, if he was playing from launch when things were really crackin and auction prices were high it's totally possible. I've been playing since about the same time as the OP and I'm usually a pretty hardcore/dedicated player. You really must have been pushin. I've put in lots of hours. I'm 60, don't have full t2 gear yet, but where I'm at there are still plenty of bosses and dungeons, especially Castle Never, to down still. 

I don't see gear as everything. If you've truly cleared every boss and dungeon that's pretty impressive.

They plan on adding 10 man content and the Gauntlgrym which is 20 vs 20 pvp  that unlocks access to a higher tier dungeon or something like that.

So far a pretty cool game. Enjoying the dungeons and look forward to raiding. I will say, that the OP's experience isn't as common as he'd like us to think unless you're dedicating days on end without real life distraction and sleeping very very little. Plus, now that the launch rush has passed, things have slowed down, especially in off hours.