Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: First Major Update Incoming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Defiance developers have promised players five major updates this year alone and are touting the first one that will be incoming shortly. Among performance and gameplay fixes, the team is introducing a new game mode called "sieges" and new TV tie-ins. 

Here is what players can expect from the first update, Enter the Castithan:

You get this when you buy the DLC for $10:

• Access to play the Castithan Species

•  Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode

• Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas

• Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line

• A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom

• A unique Castithan version of an outfit

• A Charge Weapons Starter Pack

• Access to New Pursuits

• New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements

You get this in the DLC for free:

• Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades

• Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode

• Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall

• Access to a new PvP Map – Military Academy

• Join a friend into the Battle Arenas Game Mode

• Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode

• Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons

• Select a new voice for you character

• Multitude of game improvements from UI to content

You can buy these individually from the store:

• New Mods that tint the color of your Castithan Blade

• Lockboxes have a chance to get Charge Weapons

• More versions of the Raptor, the new 4 player truck of doomed compensation

• Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change

Read the full developer blog on the Defiance site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Very odd that  Access to New Pursuits and New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements would be DLC. 
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Finally!!! sounds good hope the new mission lines is long enough!!! to keep interest!
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by UnrealRpg
    Very odd that  Access to New Pursuits and New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements would be DLC. 

Not really on trophies/achievements.  If you didn't buy the new content, you can't play it, and therefore can't get all the connected trophies/achievements.  So why even make them available to you?

Steam: Neph

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I like the game, don't get me wrong, but I really feel as though dropping $60 was overpriced considering how little there is to do. This first DLC should all be on the house IMO. Ahh well.

Joined - July 2004

• Cody_RauhCody_Rauh Member UncommonPosts: 76

I got rougly a week out of this game... and then was like.. well time to go back to something else until new content... now it is.. well time to go back to something else until new content... once again..

cause still not much that is new...

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Woot. Datak Tarr is my favorite character in the tv show.  I love the Castithan race, time to get stabbin :D
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Im guessing people like this game? It still needs fixed how can you have dlc your charging for?
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Once again, just like with the last update, Trion is still adding more code on top of broken code that isn't even fixed yet. 

I guess no one learned from SWGs mistakes when it comes to bad code. 

Defiance still has severe rank altering bugs like with vehicles since alpha and yet they keep piling more bad code on top of it before they get it fixed. At this rate they never will if they keep adding to it. 

• KeladorKelador Member UncommonPosts: 118
    The game is ok... but not a lot to do it is an FPS with RPG elements and not really an MMO, its not even on the same level as say DD: Neverwinter which has heaps more content and is free.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

I really don't get all the people mad about spending $60 on this game assuming they actually paid full price. I have gotten as much or more than any single player game I have purchased for the same price, is it just that this is just a good place to whine/

edit- to the poster above me- if I had to spend $60 to play Neverwinter I would have been mad too but for some reason I don't regret my purchase of Defiance, and I don't play it 24/7

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Asheram

I really don't get all the people mad about spending $60 on this game assuming they actually paid full price. I have gotten as much or more than any single player game I have purchased for the same price, is it just that this is just a good place to whine/

The problem is the game is horribly bugged and most of the critical issues still haven't been fixed!

Maybe they should actually try fixing the game first, before already dropping a PAID DLC pack on an already broken game?

What's the point of adding even more Pursuit achievements, when they can still reset at random any time!

What's the point of adding even more new weapons to the game, when they can still just flatout dissapear from your inventory!

Or how about finally FIXING the darn chat system and make it actually work?? They have been saying this via how many blog posts now since launch? And it still hasn't been fixed! /Facepalm

I won't be coming back until they actually fix the game! And sure as hell they won't get another single dime from me!
    In fact.... I am very close to just uninstall the game, count the 60 bucks as a loss and move on!
    As so far the TV series is a huge dissapointment and not at all that impressed.
    I have seen much better TV series getting canceled these past years. So we will see how long this one will last. So far TV ratings don't look to good.
    Originally posted by JeroKane

The problem is the game is horribly bugged and most of the critical issues still haven't been fixed!

Maybe they should actually try fixing the game first, before already dropping a PAID DLC pack on an already broken game?

What's the point of adding even more Pursuit achievements, when they can still reset at random any time!

What's the point of adding even more new weapons to the game, when they can still just flatout dissapear from your inventory!

Or how about finally FIXING the darn chat system and make it actually work?? They have been saying this via how many blog posts now since launch? And it still hasn't been fixed! /Facepalm

Like I said I don't play 24/7 so maybe that is why I don't see the game as horribly bugged, because to be quite honest I personally haven't seen any of these horrible bugs, but I have gotten as much or more hours of enjoyment from the game as any of the single player games I have purchased for the same EXACT price, so you can continue to try to compare the game to an mmo if you want

Like I said I don't play 24/7 so maybe that is why I don't see the game as horribly bugged, because to be quite honest I personally haven't seen any of these horrible bugs, but I have gotten as much or more hours of enjoyment from the game as any of the single player games I have purchased for the same EXACT price, so you can continue to try to compare the game to an mmo if you want

Ehh... maybe because it is advertised as an MMOfps ! lol. /shrug

And you don't have to play 24/7 to encounter the mentioned bugs, as they can hit you in the face any time at random.

Sooner or later you will suddenly notice you lost an item out of your inventory.

Sooner or later you will suddenly notice one of your pursuit's progress has resetted.

And the chat system is a no brainer! Come on now. Unless you play this game as a single player and don't care playing and communicating with other people.

And that leaves us to another issue that they still haven't reversed. Grouping has become pointless since that stupid contribution fix they refuse to revert!

Please show a link where it is advertised as an MMO...

Dude.... seriously. Go troll somewhere else.

So no link?

I hope you crusade as hard for any other single player game you bought for the same price you disliked.

So no link?

You don't need a friggin link. Maybe instead of trolling, go actual buy and play the game?

So no link?

You don't need a friggin link. Maybe instead of trolling, go actual buy and play the game?

Who is trolling who? You replied to me not I to you. I bought the game for full price at release and all my previous comments about it stick for me. If anyone is trolling it is you.

But again where is the link that they advertised the game as an MMO?! Keep in mind you highlighted my words in RED

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

So no link?

Who is trolling who? You replied to me not I to you. I bought the game for full price at release and all my previous comments about it stick for me. If anyone is trolling it is you.

But again where is the link that they advertised the game as an MMO?! Keep in mind you highlighted my words in RED

First link on Trions website when searching Google for Defiance MMO. 

"Defiance™ is the first multi-platform massive online shooter video game that is also a ground-breaking entertainment experience, interconnecting with a global television program on Syfy..." 

If you argue that Massive online Shooter is not MMO then this is just pure semantics at its finest. From that same search you can see everyone else and their dog see it as an MMO also.

Originally posted by VirgoThree

So no link?

"Defiance™ is the first multi-platform massive online shooter video game that is also a ground-breaking entertainment experience, interconnecting with a global television program on Syfy..." 

If you argue that Massive online Shooter is not MMO then this is just pure semantics at its finest. From that same search you can see everyone else and their dog see it as an MMO also.

Lol I don't get you people at all. The game cost the same as any single player game, so tacking mmo on it is supposed to make it accountable for more even though it delivers more than a lot of the single player games that cost the same? 

Anyone that is trying to use such classification of it being an mmo and being mad just wants to be mad

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

So no link?

Lol I don't get you people at all. The game cost the same as any single player game, so tacking mmo on it is supposed to make it accountable for more even though it delivers more than a lot of the single player games that cost the same? 

Anyone that is trying to use such classification of it being an mmo and being mad just wants to be mad

Fixing bugs before dropping DLC is the core of the gripe. It applies to the game whether it's a MMO or not.

• MerklynnMerklynn Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I preordered the CE & have been playing on and off. I first rolled a human survivalist w/stealth then a votan veteran w/overcharge. So far the vet has been my main character. I've run into several bugs but the one I recently ran into was while buying a T2 Lockbox w/resources only to see them used in the purchase but no items given in exchange. This is the first time it ever happened & I reported it to Trion. Otherwise it's been pretty smooth & more dlc will keep players interested longer which is always good plus the charge blade sounds like fun.
  • SkelotonSkeloton Member Posts: 5

Hmm Right now, Defiance is the closest thing we have to a Borderlands MMO. Its gameplay will feel instantly familiar to anyone who’s played Gearbox Software’s popular shooter on consoles or PC. It takes place in a not-so-distant postapocalyptic future where, after years of terraforming and war, enterprising souls called Ark Hunters scour the San Francisco area for valuable alien technology. As one of these hired guns, you’ll spend most of your time cruising the game world on ATVs, shooting at assorted mutants, bugs, and cyborgs and collecting loot. It’s not revolutionary, but it’s satisfying and a welcome break from traditional fantasy role-playing MMOs like World of Warcraft.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I beta tested this and i thought it was average at the time..

I started watching the show and wanted to learn a bit more about the world so I looked around and managed to pick the game up for £20.. I am happy with spending £20 on it tell you the truth.. yes its still an average game.. missions are basically go here kill, go there pickup random things then kill.. go here yadda yadda but they do add to the lore of the game I am happily reading each side mission and not just blasting through them. I have had 0 need to team up with other people so far, arkfalls are different as people turn up anyway have maybe seen 20-30 people max at them tho.. but there are a lot of people dotted around the areas im in.

The combat is very basic as well.. basically keep shooting everything until you shield starts beeping hide until its back up then go out shooting again.

Character development is very basic, hardly any stats and so on but it is passing the time and learning more about the world as i go along so its good background for the show that I am enjoying so far.

Will I spend another £10 in some DLC?.. err im not really sure. IS the game an MMO? I think it was supposed to be but its basically just a co-op shooter.. Sieges sound interesting in this DLC tho...

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Defiance is an oddball. A lot of people love the game, but there's really no point logging on every day and playing it like a mmorpg.

Personally I'll burn through any content they add into the game, I'm just wishing there would be something to keep me playing and logging for days.