Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Face of Mankind: Kickstarting New Adventures

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Face of Mankind is a popular sandbox title that is ready to set off on a KickStarter campaign with Fall of the Dominion. We sat down to talk with Marko Dieckmann and Christopher Allford about the campaign and what players can expect in Fall of the Dominion. Check it out!

MMORPG.com: You will keep Face of Mankind open to your player base during the project, what happens when the new game launches?

Marko Dieckmann: We had long discussions about this topic and at the end we decided for the following procedure.

We will keep Face of Mankind running in legacy mode (no further development, only support) for the active community that had game accounts before we launched the Kickstarter campaign. It would not be fair to take the game away from them. But we were also very sure, that we didn’t want to let new customers and Kickstarters play the old version. We want to let them experience Face of Mankind: Fall of the Dominion and not the obsolete version.

Once Fall of the Dominion is ready for beta testing, we will shut down the legacy version for good and all players will play the new game.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Face of Mankind: Kickstarting New Adventures.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Alex516Alex516 Member Posts: 3

Great game, no game has been as memorable as this one. Taking part in a military coup against the senate in a war that lasted several months was some of the most fun I've ever had.

I really hope they reach their goal and even beyond that, I would love to see the new graphics they posted on their kickstarter become a reality 

• banjoxbanjox Member Posts: 7
    I'm really looking forward to this milestone!!! I gave my pledge!
    it would be so awesome if we could reach the stretch goal for the new engine
  • KreianLegionKreianLegion Member Posts: 1
    This is such a unique and engaging game. I really hope the kickstarter thrives and we all see a bright future ahead for Fall of the Dominion. Great interview, thanks MMORPG.com!
  • Dusky_DuskDusky_Dusk Member Posts: 4
    I wish Face of Mankind all the best! It's without a doubt in my mind the best MMO I have ever played in my entire life. The game is so immersive, you wouldn't even believe it unless you have played it yourself. Please support their Kickstarter campaign! 
  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Gosh I remember this game from years ago ! I am happy to see it is still floating around. Good luck to their kickstarter. I hope they reach their goal.
  • Dusky_DuskDusky_Dusk Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Jinxys
    Gosh I remember this game from years ago ! I am happy to see it is still floating around. Good luck to their kickstarter. I hope they reach their goal.

You can help out by pledging a small amount! 

• JstawJstaw Member Posts: 3
    By far the greatest game I've ever played. The real world will never hear from me again if FoM gets that engine update.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

What a remarkable coincidence all of these new posters have managed to find their way to us on the same day!

I think I did a little research about this thing some years back and warning bells drove me away. 

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    WOW sad , the company makes new accounts to say how amazing their own game is to get some pledges.  Very shaddy , promise you , that you will never see a pledge from me.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

This is just wrong... An already released MMORPG should not have to beg their players for donations for an expansion. After all the time FoM has been online they should have had the money already to make the update without any kickstarter project. I guess this proofs that their investors have no fate in the project and now they try to trick their playerbase into investing...

Originally posted by Entropy14
    WOW sad , the company makes new accounts to say how amazing their own game is to get some pledges.  Very shaddy , promise you , that you will never see a pledge from me.

it's not the company who've made new accounts it's us the players from the community who have because our passion for fom is so extremely high, we really wanna see our favorite game of all time succed, so I will  appologies if we have gone to far.

ps. personally I've had this account for some time just haven't been active on the forums I mainly enjoy the newsletters

@reizla

fom is an independent game and there for don't have the needed funds to realise all of these new features which is why the kickstarter have been made. you guys should check out the info on the kickstarter and/or stop by our forum to see why we are so passionated about fom.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Jinxys
    Gosh I remember this game from years ago !

My thoughts exactly :)

While I don't like pvp, I'm occasionally trying out sandboxes (too bad most of them is ffa open full loot crap), and I have to admit, FoM was a neat game. The xp and advancing / leveling system was a unique idea, player-initiated assignments / contracts too, there was potential in the faction politics and crafting, the graphics was decent and the control is... let's say decent as well :)

And all of that was clubbered on the head with the usual ffa stuff, gankfest, griefing, you name it. In the interview there was a line of "We have learned much from the game, having implemented many things. Some of these worked, and some of them didn't" I hope one of those learned stuff was that player policing world isn't working :)

The "legacy mode for accounts before the KS started" part is nice, if I wasn't waist-deep in NW right now I'd even hop back to check whether somebody from the old group is still there or not... but I don't think my old account is still working, I left when I had enough of the constant ganking, so I kept going out from the cloning (they were camping at the teleports) until all my clones were gone to erase myself (permadeath) and then uninstalled :) never looked back since. I didn't even know the game is still up...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Reizla

This is just wrong... An already released MMORPG should not have to beg their players for donations for an expansion. After all the time FoM has been online they should have had the money already to make the update without any kickstarter project. I guess this proofs that their investors have no fate in the project and now they try to trick their playerbase into investing...

Well don't back then...

No one is being tricked they quite clearly tell you about the current game and how it developed and most people knew about the game anyway.

Its your choice they are not holding a gun to your head to make you back this game are they?

I played the game early on and thought it was pretty good but i got into other games at the time, im willing to chuck them a bit of cash to re-launch the game.

They do need to update the engine tho if they want to cut it today..

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

well, I WAS a player in the original game.. hell I managed to create a character in the faction reserved for their staff(And they let me keep it until open beta lol) after that I was part of BoS.

Mind you im talking the ORIGINAL fom, I haven't tried any of the reboots since, but the original WAS very fun, if you can get into it, the people themselves made the game very involving.. and the battles for diffrent area's in the solar system pretty intense.

Although there were plenty of 'dead days' where just nothing happened, but with a small playerbase, that is to be expected. I'm not quite sure what the dude up there was talking about when he said 'thousands of players' because honestly, i think the most people I ahve ever seen in one place at one time was maybe a hundred or so. And even then it caused quite a bit of lag.

Again, I am talking the original game. I give them all my best because yes, it was one of those games I will always 'remember' as being unique(Although it was more the PEOPLE i knew from the game and not the game itself. Hell most of the people I met in FoM I still have on my friends lists for msn/yahoo, and that was close to 10+ years ago.)

• melenonemelenone Member Posts: 25
    I quit this game because there was noone playing it .....im for real like 50 players a day.Its a good game i like everything about it.But it is for a certain crowd.So ya i understand why they are asking for help, they only have money to keep the lights on let alone pay for development.I loved all my time there i will note that.They need to market this game better its dead 18 hours a day and it got me depressed while playing this (MMO)!rank3 VI signing out....
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by melenone
    I quit this game because there was noone playing it .....im for real like 50 players a day.Its a good game i like everything about it.But it is for a certain crowd.So ya i understand why they are asking for help, they only have money to keep the lights on let alone pay for development.I loved all my time there i will note that.They need to market this game better its dead 18 hours a day and it got me depressed while playing this (MMO)!rank3 VI signing out....

I guess that's exactly the point of this Kickstarter, improving the game. Getting to update their rendering engine could make a world of difference in terms of appeal to new players, so I hope they reach that goal - more power to sandbox MMORPGs, always.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

Originally posted by melenone

well VI is the most inactive factions of them all xD bad luck I guess. but yeah fom have slowly lost players over the years but we hope that lots of new faces aswell of the return of old playerswhen we get our hands on fall of the dominion.

• IntrinsicIntrinsic Member UncommonPosts: 60
    lol half these comments are from accounts created on the same day, smells fishy :D the game was meh when i tried it, but that was LONG ago i think in open or closed beta. I do wish it luck though!
    there have been uploaded a new exciting dev blog. this one is about some of the new gameplay mechanics. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nexeon/face-of-mankind-fall-of-the-dominion/posts
  • Alex516Alex516 Member Posts: 3
    Hmmm,.. do I want to own a restaurant and sell pizza or go around killing augmented people for not being pure. 
  • shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Played this game on and off since the first beta and i must say it's some of the most interesting and fun times i've had online (xhamster excluded) .I really like the "hard-coded" factions though, nothing quite like getting the call to assemble at the Yamato from you commanding officer, everybody joining up in the hq and actually rp'ing the whole mission briefing. Good times.

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by sketocafe

What a remarkable coincidence all of these new posters have managed to find their way to us on the same day!

I think I did a little research about this thing some years back and warning bells drove me away. 

They warned you about what? The game would not be running long? 

I loved the game, loved the community more. They made the game, the features itself where nothing to impressive. The developer forgot about this and this for me ruined the game.

A letter from the community:

want to see the experiences explained by the veterans of our community? watch the video above.