Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World Vs. Star Wars: The Old Republic which is better in your Opinion

redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88

Hello,

I have been thinking about playing TSW  (actually downloading it  right now) because I'm tired swtor  and want to try something new.  Which game do you think is better and why?

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by redrain84

Hello,

I have been thinking about playing TSW  (actually downloading it  right now) because I'm tired swtor  and want to try something new.  Which game do you think is better and why?

Played both. I personally prefer SWTOR. Could not make myself to log to TSW after 2 weeks. Not sure why, as it's story oriented and I love it, but something just did not click. It has beautiful graphic though and some quests are very interesting. I might re-visit it one day.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    well....SWTOR works without CS getting involved every step. TSW has a more relevant storyline to me. otherwise as a game and product quality, SWTOR blows TSW away.
  • redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I was thinking Swtor was better, but I wanted some input from the MMORPG community.
  • SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    I'm for tor. I bought into the hype for Tsw and played it for like 2 weeks before getting sick of it. 
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    well....SWTOR works without CS getting involved every step. TSW has a more relevant storyline to me. otherwise as a game and product quality, SWTOR blows TSW away.

Because of how classes work, being able to go back and redo content and the more open zones I think TSW is a bit more off rails than SWTOR.  As much off rails as a Quest based game can be.  SWTOR is very much a on rails level 1 to cap adventure.  It's not a bad ride but it's something to consider.

Both games stories are really good.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw easily

Swtor is the worst aaa mmo ever made.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Of the two, I prefer playing TSW. I think it's just an overall better game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380
    TSW is better then SW:ToR

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

TSW hands down. Swtor while it has a nice VO story the rest of its quests are fetch and kill. While TSW has those it has a LOT more variety (investigation and stealth). TSW has a open skill system which lets you make the char you want unlike swtor which has rigid classes. TSW has a more interesting setting (if you like occult lovecraft esque stuff).

Just my opinion.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Different games really..  Both story oriented, but they just 'feel' different. 

TSW is amazing while you're leveling, the stories, the zones, etc are all top notch!  But once you hit the end, it all kind of falls on it's face.   And with 0 incentive to roll alts, you find your attention starting to drift towards other games.

SWTOR, individual class stories are great, even planetary storylines are great the first time you do them.  It does have a more focused and easier end-game than TSW with more meta-game options in the terms of alts, opposite faction stories, legacy, etc...

But to put things in perspective for you.... I own and run the largest TSW guides site on the internet, and I'm currently playing SWTOR...   :)

But since you're tired of SWTOR, you can't go wrong with giving TSW a try and getting through the bulk of the content! 

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I'm going with SWTOR simply because TSW has the worst character creation of any game I've played, and that includes RO. 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

First I found if you want to know something like this you should make a poll. "Which is better game A or B?"

I would vote for The Secret World for something totally different than the basic WoW clone, and that is what SW:TOR is. I'm not saying TSW doesn't have any of its attributes, but it has a very unique atmosphere and skill system.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I think if you are in it for the voiceovers and stuff you'll be happy. It's good, but there's still many single player games that do it better.

TSW has this sort of.. new and different feeling to it compared to most other MMOs.

It really isn't 'that' different but it 'feels' different because it's a theme you haven't had before.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    TSW in every way, shape and form.

Joined - July 2004

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Out of the two I preferred TSW, it was edgier, darker and fresh. SWTOR just didn't do it for me, it was the same old thing with a different skin - although the production value was top notch. I preferred questing in TSW, it had some variety although some of the puzzle quests were ridiculously hard. After the first day of questing in SWTOR I got bored of being the games gopher. Although I got to say, I play neither of them now, none of them, in my opinion will have long term appeal for most casual players.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

The two games are very different, although there's a superficial similarity in that cut-scenes are used much more heavily than in other MMOs.  

SWTOR has a pretty linear storyline, but has many things about it which are almost a full lift from WoW-style play.  The dodge ability is nice, but the abilities and skills feel very close to WoW, with an update to the Star Wars (prequel) universe.  I did like the storylines in that game, but it did feel very much "on rails," but my real problem with it was that it just felt too much like the prequels, which I despise.  The game (and more recent movies) simply don't feel lived in.  Some very nice plot twists though, and I did like the ability to choose actions Bioware-style in certain places.  That said, SWTOR almost overdid the cut scenes -- I think just about every quest has one.

TSW also uses cutscenes, but only for the main storyline and main missions -- the side missions are text only.  That said, the characters in TSW cutscenes are very solid and memorable, and many players have their favorite NPCs (mine's Nassir).  TSW draws much more heavily on Lovecraft, the X-Files and a bit of Indiana Jones for the backdrop, and has a more modern day conspiracy horror feel to it.  The ability wheel and skill system is VERY different from just about every MMO (I hear similar to GW1), with the ability to equip any weapon and play any role in the trinity (TSW is a theorycrafter's paradise.)  The big difference is that TSW asks you the player to do a bit more work in figuring out the missions and puzzles, and although there are walkthrus, it feel very good to solve some of the missions on your own.  That last point, to me, is the biggest reason I prefer TSW to many other MMOs -- it asks me to think.

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

TSW hands down the better of the two. 

Having played both, i prefer TSW due to a couple of things that i like. these are action combat (you can move and do abilities), the story, the variety of classes and the fact that you can change to be something else entirely along the way. You arent locked into being a tank, dps, heals. graphically to me (IMO) is better. 

a couple of things that lets TSW down though are character customizing. While you dont all look the same due to clothing etc, the facial features could do with some more variety. But to me thats still better than the option you get in TOR.

• FIXTHECAMERAFIXTHECAMERA Member Posts: 55
    I was thinking Swtor was better, but I wanted some input from the MMORPG community.

Lol you were thinking swtor is better? Swtor has to be one of the worst mmorpgs, it's not even in the same league as TSW.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

I prefer the dialog and cutscenes in TSW. The NPCs are almost all very well done. Some are absolute classics, like Nassir and Said in Egypt, the Orochi agents on Solomon Island, Deputy Andy in Kingsmouth and Hayden Montag at the Innsmouth Academy.

The ambiance is much better too.

As others have said, it lacks re-playability.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Sigurd57

TSW is amazing while you're leveling, the stories, the zones, etc are all top notch!  But once you hit the end, it all kind of falls on it's face.   And with 0 incentive to roll alts, you find your attention starting to drift towards other games.

SWTOR, individual class stories are great, even planetary storylines are great the first time you do them.  It does have a more focused and easier end-game than TSW with more meta-game options in the terms of alts, opposite faction stories, legacy, etc...

But to put things in perspective for you.... I own and run the largest TSW guides site on the internet, and I'm currently playing SWTOR...   :)

But since you're tired of SWTOR, you can't go wrong with giving TSW a try and getting through the bulk of the content! 

Gonna have to disagree. TSW has raids, lairs, and pvp. TO say it "falls on its face" isnt true. TSW also has more content releases then stwor.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Originally posted by Sigurd57

Gonna have to disagree. TSW has raids, lairs, and pvp. TO say it "falls on its face" isnt true. TSW also has more content releases then stwor.

but TSW launched with 1/3 the content, if that. how many dungeons, raids, zones, etc. does TSW have as of today? their content updates are mostly cash shop fluff and quests. pvp is actually somehow worse in TSW too. and then there's everyone glossing over the fact that the game still does not function for many people.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Star Wars gets my vote. Been playing for about a week and don't see anything wrong with this game at all. Have not been playing long enough to know for sure but as of right now I think its probably the best themepark mmo on the market.image
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    as a very very huge star wars fan.. TSW gets my vote...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

It depends on what you want in a game.

TSW is more thought provocative and most of the time requires you to pay attention, think hard and actually do work/research while playing.  While a huge plus for many who want to use their brains while playing, one of the reasons it failed is because of this and the fact that not a lot of people want to think or solve puzzles in a MMO where they just want to lay back and smash face (in the same reason a lot of people don't like such devices as connect for consoles, as it requires significant exercise and tireds your arms after an hour or so if a game relies on it heavily; the general thought behind that is that they just want to play games as a leisurely activity and not have all that exertion).  

When I say though provocative I mean you really do have to go online and do a few hours of research on quests.  There are complicated mathmatics you have to have a sheet of paper and a calculator for (or mathmatical logic), decode morse code on multiple missions to figure out a clue that leads you somewhere to get another clue which leads you somewhere to decode another code... etc.  There are also puzzles and riddles you have to solve, rotations and orders you have to memorize (also simon like game where you have to use your memory) and historical facts you have to know or know how to look up.  They even have websites set up and youtube videos they scattered about youtube that are specifically for the game or side notes in books you have to read in game (which you can easily miss as they're just side notes).

Some of it's great weaknesses are the the combat system (some would say poor animation quality and animation loops in attacks), the timer that each quest has after finishing it (once you complete a quest it has a 18 hour cool down which makes pretty much every quest a daily quest... some may like it some may not) and even the AP and SP system.  If you make a mistake in your build (they don't have videos to show what attacks do, just a few words decribing them and there is no community to speak of that makes videos showcasing these things on youtube) then you pretty much have to do all the starter quests all over again, even if you spent a week prior completing such.  Making a mistake can absolutely ruin the game for you if you find that you don't enjoy that anymore (due to the repeating animations you dislike) or due to the lack of power you have or you didn't synergize properly.  There are no respecs allow, so you have to start from the beginning depending on where you are in the story and your armor/weapon SP level.

As a whole I lost interest in the game by the time I got to the desert; I perform research on a daily basis for my work, and had years of such working towards my masters and just couldn't take the game for what it was.  After spending hours on investigation missions and decoding things and doing math, I found that I was just doing work and not playing a game.  Match that with the fact I hated the animation of the combat path I choose, I had to back track and eventually played in the same area for about two months (kingsmith) trying to find something that really interested me.  At the end of the day I just wanted to play a video game and lay back, and TSW wasn't giving me a video game feeling; it was giving me a grinding and work feeling.

Star Wars on the other hand has a host of problems of it's own.  It has (had?) mainly static environments with 98% of the mobs standing in one place, no day night cycle and various other things that you no doubt need to hear since you've played the game.  But what it does have is a great story and all those classes with different stories.  You don't have to do the same area over and over again for a month like in TSW and each time you "start over" it's a new experience.

The main problem there is that sometimes you have to level five times before you get to the next story element.  Also it has horrible restrictions when it comes to game play and the cash shop whereas TSW does not.  The combat animations are also a lot better than TSW and the combat in general just seemed to be more entertaining to me (then again it's be a lot longer since I've played this game, but it managed to keep me interested enough to get a few max levels and complete their storylines, whereas I simply stopped from loss of interest in the story by the second area with TSW).  It's just good clean fun as far a video game goes with little thought needed and just playing a game for what I play games for: good old fashioned entertainment.

As a whole I'd probably say SWTOR is the better video game.  TSW is the most innovative, but sometimes innovation isn't needed or may in fact be worse than what came before it.  I'm sure many who do work in a research intensive atmosphere as a profession may in fact think spending hours doing research and mathmatics and the like is great fun.  To each there own in that aspect, but as a whole I think it's one of the main reasons the main stream just couldn't get into it what with their instant gratification tendancies and raiding and respecs and other things typically from the MMO genre.

If TSW was a requirement to be played back when I was going to school regularly it would've made an excellent research project; it has that sort of vibe to be an extra credit project to challenge the mind for work and not fun.  But as a video game, for me, it is completely subpar and reminiscent of work rather than play.  I'd just as soon do a crossword puzzle or play a brain buster on my phone if I wanted something that used my brain, and not grind for a few months just to get to one interesting investigation to the other and then spend hours of my life trying to solve it.  Then again, it's all just my opinion.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by FIXTHECAMERA

Lol you were thinking swtor is better? Swtor has to be one of the worst mmorpgs, it's not even in the same league as TSW.

Come now? Not even in the same league? Have you even played swtor? Have you even got one character to 50 yet?  I think its more than in the same league and their are others who would agree.