Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO do you believe had the best potential but failed in execution?

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Vanguard, hands down.

It's a great game already but had it launched a year later and been upgraded and polished all these years it would be perfect for the market we have now.

I think SoE knows this and is forming part of EQN around it. Hopefully...
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    SWG
  • darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    WoW, it could have been great but went for the mass market.

The numbers say otherwise...just sayin

That is like saying McDonalds is the greatest just because they sell the most.

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378

Guild Wars 2 takes the cake for me. From a hardcore fan that had thousands of posts years before release, I disgested every info and spread it to everyone I knew. Then around 2010/2011 I noticed a...shift. With one of ANets lead designers leaving, Jeff Strain, the whole development outlook seemed to change. Armor repairs, gems, costs to travel, more grind related news, crafting was stiffed and never was more fluid like they said it would be, dungeons changing from 1 armor piece per run to tokens...the list goes on. Some of the above Jeff even talked about in his presentation on making an MMO. It's a damn shame that the development path took a complete 180 towards the end, tacking on poorly thought out ideas just for money. 

I couldn't say I didn't see it coming, but I was just so hyped over the successor to easily my favorite game of all time, clocking probably around 70% of the time played on my PC. Honestly if it wasn't for the fact it was a lore successor for GW1 I wouldn't of even bothered.

I guess I can also add that GW1 was a game that had a lot of potential but again..failed. I would still be playing it to this day if it got actual support. But instead I log into a once busy Temple of Ages to a now ghost town.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• modusmodus Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Guild Wars 2
  • TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

WAR because of my love of the ip and the table top game.  I wanted to love that game.

Vanguard had to be the strangest story of a failed launch ever.  The whole debacle with Sigil and Microsoft and SOE, you couldn't make that stuff up.  As it is right now, it's a great game, and in pretty good shape considering how much attention SOE gives to it.  If it only released in the shape it's in right now... I can't even imagine where it would be by now.  I blame myself for getting too excited about this game, and it was a huge let down for me.  This was supposed to be the next everquest with updated graphics... it could have been, but no.  I mean remember the vision?  It used to be all about the vision man!  LOL, oh Brad. 

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    WAR

Couldn't agree more. Greatest disappointment of my decade of playing MMORPGs, and the one that killed my natural inclination to get super-excited about games before I got a chance to play them.

• SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Wish MMO
  • muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199

I believe dark and light is the only mmo in this thread so far to die via lawsuit.

We have a winrar.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

Originally posted by WellzyC
    Aion   the abyss idea was greatbeing able to jump a rift to the enemy's side of the planet and gank.Wings where you could fly.Tons of classes. But man... that game was just awful.  All the botting, gold selling spam. Dungeons almost never dropped loot, and the quests were just awful.  Also gw2.They made everything sound so amazing in innovative, but it was just a casual crap shoot of boredom and dullness. with dull combat and way too much story content that was not very interesting. Also their "dynamic event" system that they crammed down everyones throat was just more of the same "chore questing" with a little twist of randomness.

same as for me, these two

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

So many over the years.

Dark and Light is a good one, almost forgot about it. 

Shadowbane.  AoC.  WAR.  Vanguard.  Heck, I think GW2 had even more potential than it lived up to.  SWTOR had potential simply because of the IP, but they never really started off in the right direction to begin with. 

Here's one.  Middle Earth Online.
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by ThaneUlfgar
    I'd say Vanguard or Warhammer Online.

These would be my choices as well...

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

I would have to say anarchy online

To me it had the greatest potential to be a great game.  However I think that shadowlands killed it at least for me.

I know that anyone who has read my posts are probably tired of me whining about AO and shadowlands.

I have had a bad day at work and I have a few too many beers.

So I am sorry for the complaining.

Anyway when you are 67 years old things seem to effect you more.

I hope everyone has a great day. :)

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

VANGUARD: SAGA OF HEROES - I was in LOVE with the concept of what they were selling. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out... though I hear it's a pretty decent game now... just very outdated.

Aside from that, STAR WARS GALAXIES -- however, I think SOE was really treading new territory with much of what they were doing and MMORPG's in general were so young that it didn't really help them. Still I think they were onto something very special that fell apart after WOW made LucasArts want in on the cash.

I know a lot of people blame SOE for the changes but ... they were orders from the Lucas camp, people.

Anyway, to this day we haven't seen a better crafting system that is as important to a game, another game with SEVERAL huge worlds to play in and explore while also providing SPACE COMBAT where multiple people can man a ship, nor have we seen the amount of player ownership that could be achieved -- your own shops, heck your own communities built as cities.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Chronicles of Spellborn, which I actually played for the month it was out.  It had a skill wheel where you picked one of four skills, then the wheel turned and you could only use those skills, etc.  You determined where to place the skills.  It was a great system, but went FUBAR administratively (apparently.)

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Take a pick ! Ddo ,Lotro,Age of conan. The list can go on but these 3 i mentioned especially for a reason. Like wow all these 3 games had a huge fanbase behind them and their theme/lore was well known. D&D worlds forgotten realms ravenloft etc etc,conan comics and movie background,Lord of the rings books and especially after Jackson brought on the screen it had a tremendous success.

All the devs had to do is present a solid world in the game full of immersion and interactivity beetween the players,and adventures for the players. One turned into an endless dungeon farming with everything instanced just for u and your party with full absence of pvp,the other decided to copy paste wow only in a worst form in all aspects and also excluded pvp, and the 3rd decided to invent the wheel in action-combat mechanics but remembered to deliver a bad unfinished product at launch and bringing back baldurs gate square areas (not that tragic in my opinion but heck even the simplistic wow didnt had loading screens beetwen areas but only in continents and dungeons.

BraVO idiots ! And guess what ...due to absence of players and after realising just a bunch of desperate fans would play them they pressed the magic button...Free to  PLAY guys!!!

GJ on fucking up some of the greater possible ips to be made for mmorpgs.

Lets just hope Elder scrolls online wont have the same fate...

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by tazarconan

Take a pick ! Ddo ,Lotro,Age of conan. The list can go on but these 3 i mentioned especially for a reason. Like wow all these 3 games had a huge fanbase behind them and their theme/lore was well known. D&D worlds forgotten realms ravenloft etc etc,conan comics and movie background,Lord of the rings books and especially after Jackson brought on the screen it had a tremendous success.

All the devs had to do is present a solid world in the game full of immersion and interactivity beetween the players,and adventures for the players. One turned into an endless dungeon farming with everything instanced just for u and your party with full absence of pvp,the other decided to copy paste wow only in a worst form in all aspects and also excluded pvp, and the 3rd decided to invent the wheel in action-combat mechanics but remembered to deliver a bad unfinished product at launch and bringing back baldurs gate square areas (not that tragic in my opinion but heck even the simplistic wow didnt had loading screens beetwen areas but only in continents and dungeons.

BraVO idiots ! And guess what ...due to absence of players and after realising just a bunch of desperate fans would play them they pressed the magic button...Free to  PLAY guys!!!

GJ on fucking up some of the greater possible ips to be made for mmorpgs.

Lets just hope Elder scrolls online wont have the same fate...

These were not programmign teams that developed these 3 games. They were retard teams and head developer managers    Boss King retard LVL 134 with the k in caps

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Tabula Rasa

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• rpgcloudrpgcloud Member Posts: 10

sw:tor

WAR

GW2

Many games had my attention, only to realise they were all shitty clones, I rarely get hyped about games these days, as I'm sick of being let down consistantly.

We need new concepts, niche idea's that haven't been thought of.

Eve Online will always hold the title as best mmo for me, it's such a diverse game and few have succeeded on the level CCP have.

WoW could have been done better, i've never actually played it past lvl 10 before getting bored.

My favourite Fantasy MMO would have been Lineage 2. The bots and gold farmers mugged that game to death, then they decide to try and revive it with this F2P shite and completely changed the world it once was. Same with a lot of the bigger mmo's now, P2P don't work so they scramble for plan B and shift over to F2P.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by kb4blu

I would have to say anarchy online

To me it had the greatest potential to be a great game.  However I think that shadowlands killed it at least for me.

I know that anyone who has read my posts are probably tired of me whining about AO and shadowlands.

I have had a bad day at work and I have a few too many beers.

So I am sorry for the complaining.

Anyway when you are 67 years old things seem to effect you more.

I hope everyone has a great day. :)

I used to agree with you, I played AO when it first came out, with one of the worst launches in history, and when they introduced Shadowlands, I stopped playing.  It seemed so out of character for the game.  However, I went back to it years later and discovered that Shadowlands wasn't as bad as I thought.  I played for a couple of years thereafter and then gave up.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

I'm surprised to see WoW being mentioned.  Sure, it isn't the perfect game for many of us gamers here.  But seriously, it is hugely successful.  It catapulted the genre to new heights.  It definitely lived up to its potential at least, lol.  I say this as someone who has zero interest in playing the game.
  • MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I will say the Matrix Online just because of the IP alone. Talk about a  setting that just seems like a no-brainer for the perfect MMOG.
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    GW2, the talk before launch was great.  But it was all talk and no substance.  One of the blandest and "meh" MMOs I ever played.  WAR would be second.
  • ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118

If there would be only one : Asheron's call 2 definitly. I even tough the game was fun for a while but it got shutdown so fast, it still make me a bit sad period ;)

Warhammer online : I am a fan of the Warhammer IP and was depressed at the result, it has some good idea and could have been a great game

Ultima online 2 because it was dead in the shell :(

TSW I think  is another one.  Setting seemed perfect to construct a true virtual world MMO.  Instead they went the "story-driven" route.  And so it goes...