Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slightly disturbing logic.

After reading this: https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?368362-Darkfall-offically-a-CAREBEAR-game

?I'm beginning to see the logic used by people who are attracted to these type of games. They make no distinction what so ever between griefing and playing a PvP Sandbox game, none. This isn't some minority within the game, from reading most of the replies people seem to be outraged over what is basically griefing.

This is what worries me about darkfall as it will obviously effect player retention, thoughts?

I just don't see the game in the regard. I really want it to be something more than just a large free for all arena. So much potential that the community just doesn't want to use...

Comments

• TheGamblesTheGambles Member Posts: 23
    No one else finds this weird? haha..
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

bindcamping is stupid, but so is getting upset about it. Is it really so hard to just go afk or log out for a 5 min break?

I don't  think its really griefing. but then I really don't care if its against the rules and no one should unless you are a sad excuse of a human being, which unfortunately alot of the posters on darkfall boards are.

edit: this is why they are upset tho, there is a difference between going out of your way to bindcamp someone and simply killing people at a choas stone they refuse to leave. 

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?368409-Even-Payback-is-against-the-rules-I-guess

My blog: image

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

There are two things that keep me away from this game, even though I am a PVP fanatic.  The first is the company thinks they can charge box sale AND a subscription even though the big budget games are having trouble with that.  The second is that this type of game seems to attract the absolute worst human filth in the gamer community.  Half of these people don't want to PVP, they just want to grief any way they can.  If anyone complains they spew ridicule and insults at them on the forums.  If aventurine really wanted this game to be a success, then they would take steps to prevent griefing and moderate their forums to keep players from being driven away by this type of behavior.

Edit:  To be fair the guy in the payback post didn't seem to be unreasonable by trying to drive hostile people away from his area.  I was referring more to the HOGG incident where they were griefing players in safe zones by preventing them from gathering.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• stugurtstugurt Member Posts: 45
    Just gather resources as a lsrge group and designate certsin ones to craft. Its not a solo game. The people who grief you do this. Just band together as noobs to battle the controlling force
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

actually, ya, it bugs me too.  griefers are game ruiners and i'm happy some of them will go elsewhere because of DFUW trying to crack down on them somewhat (the unholy banhammer, etc).

they can have any number of decent sounding arguments why they do what they do but at the end of the day they are playing to gain enjoyment through making others suffer and that's frankly sociopathic.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MegaD61MegaD61 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Raventree

There are two things that keep me away from this game, even though I am a PVP fanatic.  The first is the company thinks they can charge box sale AND a subscription even though the big budget games are having trouble with that.  The second is that this type of game seems to attract the absolute worst human filth in the gamer community.  Half of these people don't want to PVP, they just want to grief any way they can.  If anyone complains they spew ridicule and insults at them on the forums.  If aventurine really wanted this game to be a success, then they would take steps to prevent griefing and moderate their forums to keep players from being driven away by this type of behavior.

Edit:  To be fair the guy in the payback post didn't seem to be unreasonable by trying to drive hostile people away from his area.  I was referring more to the HOGG incident where they were griefing players in safe zones by preventing them from gathering.

You couldn't be more wrong.  That "human filth" you speak of is in EVERY single MMO out there. The difference? Darkfall doesn't have game mechanics that make you be nice.  It is a cutthroat world out there.  That being said the coolest and most chill I've ever met in ANY MMO I've met in Darfall and DFUW. And I have played just about them all.

There are random acts of kindness and spawn sharing between people of differenct clans all the time.  The real amazing thing is in Darkfall nothing makes you be nice so when it happens its kinda cool.  Well it is benificial to invite a third to join you at a spawn to increase the spawn rate.

But just because there are assholes in DF and they can bind camp you if you want doesn't mean there arn't a ton of cool people who would help you out of the situation if you got to know em.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

If you look at the majority of the threads containing a-holes on forumfall, you'll see multiple posts by the same people.  These people are not representative of the game as a whole.  In my clan of 25-30 actives, maybe 2 of us post on the forums on a semi-regular basis; I usually end up posting in the tech support thread when something's broken.

Judging the game by a few lost souls is not the best way to research a game.

As far as shunning box + sub games, that's your prerogative.  But in a game like DFUW, a cash shop (which would be the only way to make money) would surely kill the game.  P2W accusations would cause even more problems, and lead to AV's downfall.

I'm enjoying the game along with a lot of others who don't care to post on the forums.  Having too much fun in game to bother Forumfalling.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Just like in EVE-Online people who wanna play MMOs but cannot deal with the fact that PVP is unrestricted will moan...allot... people want innovation, they want freedom, they want meaningful choices and meaningful crafting in a game where freedom is an illusion, the economy is a joke and choices are whittled down to "raid tonight or tomorrow?".

The best example of this happening in the real world is the unending battle between a True Democracy and a True Communist state because people want both to feel secure of their future and freedom of choice but you cannot have both, in a democracy you get freedom, unmitigated and cruel as all fuck (you can be a billionaire or you can be homeless, it's luck and skill/education that decides) and in a communist state (a functional, non-soviet model one mind you) you have little to no freedom but you know your future is more or less secure.

People need to wake up both in real life and in game and decide once and for all what they want: Freedom or security because seeing half assed games and half assed governments ripping people off is getting rather... boring to be honest.

• TwitchnTwitchn Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Just like in EVE-Online people who wanna play MMOs but cannot deal with the fact that PVP is unrestricted will moan...allot... people want innovation, they want freedom, they want meaningful choices and meaningful crafting in a game where freedom is an illusion, the economy is a joke and choices are whittled down to "raid tonight or tomorrow?".

The best example of this happening in the real world is the unending battle between a True Democracy and a True Communist state because people want both to feel secure of their future and freedom of choice but you cannot have both, in a democracy you get freedom, unmitigated and cruel as all fuck (you can be a billionaire or you can be homeless, it's luck and skill/education that decides) and in a communist state (a functional, non-soviet model one mind you) you have little to no freedom but you know your future is more or less secure.

People need to wake up both in real life and in game and decide once and for all what they want: Freedom or security because seeing half assed games and half assed governments ripping people off is getting rather... boring to be honest.

The big difference in dfuw and eve:

eve =sandbox with a truly amazing economy system

dfuw= big arena with no sort of economy or sandbox elements. Its like GW2 but with full loot pvp and horrible animations

• MegaD61MegaD61 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Twitchn
    Originally posted by Dihoru

The big difference in dfuw and eve:

eve =sandbox with a truly amazing economy system

dfuw= big arena with no sort of economy or sandbox elements. Its like GW2 but with full loot pvp and horrible animations

You don't know what your talking about... And btw I was playing with a 7 year eve player tonight in DFUW.. He loves it...

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by TheGambles

After reading this: https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?368362-Darkfall-offically-a-CAREBEAR-game ?I'm beginning to see the logic used by people who are attracted to these type of games. They make no distinction what so ever between griefing and playing a PvP Sandbox game, none. This isn't some minority within the game, from reading most of the replies people seem to be outraged over what is basically griefing. This is what worries me about darkfall as it will obviously effect player retention, thoughts? I just don't see the game in the regard. I really want it to be something more than just a large free for all arena. So much potential that the community just doesn't want to use...

Blinded by your own ignorance, generalisations are always unhealthy, don't attack the community and tar them with the same brush or think everyone thinks the same. Even the lowest iq knows this not to be the case.
  • StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

I don't find it weird. The playerbase of games like this is basically sociopathic. What did you expect?

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Stromm

I don't find it weird. The playerbase of games like this is basically sociopathic. What did you expect?

He probably expected that the majority of MMO players are nice decent people... we really aren't, give us freedom and we'll backstab each other for bunny shit pellets. This isn't sociopathic tendencies amongst a small group of people as you claim, it's endemic to the point you either wonder: how many sociopaths are there? or you understand that a sandbox MMO, a real one not a hand holding open world PVE brofest, is the best way to see how humanity would act without any social limitations or laws... short answer: At the first whiff of a zombie apocalypse I am getting a katana and I will start doing cardio allot more because gamers as a cross section of society show us that we'd fuck each other over very easily for very little reasons.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by Consensus

bindcamping is stupid, but so is getting upset about it. Is it really so hard to just go afk or log out for a 5 min break?

I don't  think its really griefing. but then I really don't care if its against the rules and no one should unless you are a sad excuse of a human being, which unfortunately alot of the posters on darkfall boards are.

edit: this is why they are upset tho, there is a difference between going out of your way to bindcamp someone and simply killing people at a choas stone they refuse to leave. 

https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?368409-Even-Payback-is-against-the-rules-I-guess

100% this. You gotta pay the cost to be the boss. If  i don't want you to live at my chaos stone, i kill you until you finally decide to move away. It's a grief, but hey, it's a pvp game. You have 2 choices. You log out or you leave my territory when i'm currently controlling it. 

Paging a GM to ask the offender and being forced to let him stay  is stupid as hell in a political game like darkfall. I'm 100% against grief, but the GM's need to think before they send some stupid threat. There's clans out there willing to help and there's a global chat. You might as well become an hostage. Real RoPK scenario here and that's how it was in the old darkfall. It's the reason you needed a to own a city or your own house.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Originally posted by Raventree

"Big budget" games have been rehashed wow clones for near a decade now... that is why they aren't succeeding... Making poor clones won't attract new people...

Also, for preorderers that had DF1, there was no "box" fee...

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Last unofficial news since this thread has been made and closed with a word by a staff saying that they will look into it.

If you get grief and you report a GM, he will tell you to leave the area. It's you're fault if you stay there instead of running away. If the griefers follows your trace where ever you go to blatantly bindcamp you for no apparent reason, the GM will ask him to stop.

Before this thread was made in the forum, you could just report a GM for grief and the GM wouldnt even think before threatening the dude to stop. It was stupid especially in a pvp game where these type of scenario are inevitable. It shouldnt be forbidden to control a chaotic location.

There's other bindstones and safezones .

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif