Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The EA-Disney Deal

Comments

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by sketocafe

Here's the problem. We know what EA does with exclusive deals. Compare Madden and NCAA Football with EA's NHL and Football/soccer titles. The Hockey and Soccer games get substantial improvements year after year. The 'murican football games, for which EA has exclusive rights to player names, have stagnated with each year barely adding enough to not qualify as a mere roster update.

Yeah Dice can make a good shooter. The question is, will EA give them the funding and time they would have if Dice had to compete with Valve or Activision in the Star Wars shooter market?

Also, why are you talking about MMOs? Every news story I read when this broke stated that the licensing deal didn't cover online games, along with mobile and tablet stuff. Was this misreported?

The last paragraph...is exactly what I was thinking. The statement wording makes it sound as if EA has rights to make console/pc games but that Disney holds the rights to future online games. So does that mean mmo's as well ???

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    You do know that Bioware does not exist anymore right? EA were even thinking of dropping the BIoware name at the start of last year, but did not follow through. I guess with SWTOR coming up last year and their own name being mud they decided to keep it for now.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Originally posted by sumo0
    I just want to add that i don't even pirate EA games anymore because the quality of those games are shit.

Sorry, two posts in a row. But this made my morning, well said sir! :)

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Firnwind

A new Star Wars MMO is likely? Please thats ridiculous ... besides that MMOs take many years of development and many many millions which nobody in their right mind will invest again after SWTOR, the only thing that might happen is some more Mobile/Web-based browser game but EA won't ever make a real Star Wars MMO again, I am sure of it.

PS: And the story of KOTOR is done for good or worse... but I am sure we will see some stand in RPGs for the new movie timeframe.

Disney has billions and billions to throw at projects.  If they lose a million dollars on a project, it would barely scratch their bottom line.  EA for all their BS is a multi-million dollar company, probably approaching a billion.  I can't say for sure as I have not cared enough to look up their numbers.  My point being; you give every indication that you have no idea what you are talking about.  Of course there will be another Star Wars MMO, with SWTOR being such a heap of crap, someone will try and make a SW MMO that people like.  Will it work? hell I dunno, but I sure hope so.  And yes, I would love to see SWG 2.  But I am not sure that will ever happen.

I am no fan of EA, as a matter of fact I go out of my way to avoid their games, which usually isn't hard since they tend to be absolute shit.  However, with this much cash on the line, and IP that CAN make warehouses full of cash if done properly, I can see them putting a good team on these projects and hitting a home run.

However, recent history has shown that this is usually not the case.  In the end only time will tell, I really hope they turn it around and do some thing right for a change, but I am not holding my breath. 

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    They should make a star wars rts game.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

After experiencing SWTOR, it's simply a fact that EA/BioWare have zero grasp on what is needed to create a good MMORPG.

EA's Warhammer & SWTOR are both redundant and boring "MMOs".

We most likely won't be playing a new Star Wars MMO for a good 10 years.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    "I stand by my opinion that BioWare did a pretty good job with Star Wars: The Old Republic overall." This comment... Um... What?! What sweet lemonade jazz juice have you been sipping on and where can I get some? I mean seriously, you can't actually say that with a straight face can you?

Smile

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Ea can never make a good mmorpg.. They lack the understanding and are too ignorant to learn how.

Sw ip is at an end.

Not really much more to say other than the old republic is not sw. It was an addon in an attempt to milk more cash out of the ip.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

I think that Gearbox could have turned out a pretty decent SW shooter if they had the time and resources to do so. Ya, Duke sucked and Aliens was a joke, but there were other factors at play with both of those.

Republic Trooper, Order 66....yeah, I'd be there.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• s4ndm4n2006s4ndm4n2006 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Despite the hate EA gets, the games still sell millions. Maybe those that hate EA are the vocal minority?

I don't think it's that necessarily.  I think that people buy games based on the title first and foremost and who the publisher 2nd.  I know I've bought some games and that they were EA games came secondary.  I mean I got Sim City in spite of that I don't like buying from EA or through origin but because of my love for the game I bought it anyway - to my disappointment, of course. 

• s4ndm4n2006s4ndm4n2006 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert
    So do tell for how much money did EA bribe you to post this again? It is no more than an advertisement for them.. All this makes me a sad lil gamer.

I used to love EA and own most of their games that predate the millenium. For over a decade the quality of both their games and service has dwindled to a point of no return. Nowadays I steer clear of all their products, to me they are no more than money hungry wolfs..

Am I the only one who remembers both their glory days AND the day they were named 'the worst company' ?
    They need to clean up their act and dsliver proper products. Until then all my hope for a good SW title has died.

LOL.  I don't know if the writer did this as a paid advertisement for EA but I can see how it does seem like it's biased. 

I mean two big crappy companies get together to make even more big crappy decisions.. hmm no news here, move along.. :)

I have no great love for Disney although my hatred toward them is less than EA.  I just don't see anything good coming from this.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Since i am an oldtimer, i grew up with Star Wars and i'm sad to say that the IP has become meaningless for decades already. So,  i don't really understand the anger in which company gets what license, as it won't make any difference anymore.

There is no way back to the time before The Phantom Menace, a cartoon network kiddy show with a Yoda mascot and a countless amount of bad SW games. There is no company that can bring Star Wars back, as Lucas himself buried it deep long before many visitors of this site even started to play their first SW game.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert
    So do tell for how much money did EA bribe you to post this again? It is no more than an advertisement for them.. All this makes me a sad lil gamer.

I used to love EA and own most of their games that predate the millenium. For over a decade the quality of both their games and service has dwindled to a point of no return. Nowadays I steer clear of all their products, to me they are no more than money hungry wolfs..

Am I the only one who remembers both their glory days AND the day they were named 'the worst company' ?
    They need to clean up their act and dsliver proper products. Until then all my hope for a good SW title has died.

I remember those days. When you saw that EA logo on a box, you knew you were getting a high quality product. Now it's hit or miss, really. I love the Dead Space games, and enjoy the new Simcity despite its problems. On the other hand, we have the complete ruination of the Mass Effect & Dragon Age series, the shift of Dead Space to pure action instead of action-horror, the increasing adoption of pay to win DLC, the shooter version of Syndicate (Seriously? Fire the marketing guy who thought THAT would do well), and the destruction of some of the greatest game development studios of all time (Bullfrog, Westwood, Pandemic, Bioware, Origin, etc.)

Oh yeah, and they killed Ultima, one of the most revolutionary series of CRPGs ever created, and home to the greatest CRPGs ever crafted by mortal men (Ultima 7 Parts 1 and 2).

I'm going to keep an open mind about anything they produce before predicting doom, but I'm not getting my hopes up either.

Also, I agree with the quoted poster in that EA obviously paid you to write this piece. I've read actual advertisements which make this piece look about as subtle as a train wreck on a boat by comparison.

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    Good on you, Mr. Bitton.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

One of my guildies posted it on guild forum, it made me laugh

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by theniffrig
    On the point about another Star Wars MMO, I agree. Yes it will probably be set in the new era with the new movies. And with MMO's going to take the sandbox route with EQ Next massive success, I'm sure the market will be flooded with Sandbox clones then, one of them surely being a Star Wars mmo. Just will take 4 - 8 years from now.

Perhaps we should see how EQnext actually does before claiming it a massive success. there has been nothing put out by SOE yet that supports your claim. Still in the end at least its SOE making EQnext and not EA.

• firelordzx5firelordzx5 Member Posts: 2
    give me a Empire at War II and EA will be my favorite again.
  • knightfall98knightfall98 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    ea is a greedy bastard for sure and the quality of mass effect 3, dead space three and simcity 4 shows that they are some dumbf&*%s in charge. however there haven been a lot of great star wars games for sure, if ea just takes a step back and lets there great developers do there damn job they can make some amazing games, its when ea gets there greedy cocks invovled to get shit like dead space 3, they can have something amazing chances are they will try in get into the mmoba craze with a star wars versions, or a Diablo style starwars game which actually sounds pretty awesome. just some friendly advice EA if you want my money, tell bioware to make kotor 3, dice to make battlefront3, visceral to make 1313, kriteria to make a make some starfighter/speer racer or battle thingy and you will get my money. Is it really going to be the clusterfuck you all thing it is ask yourself can ea make a worse game than say moon of endor sim, star wars holiday special sing a log special edition with jarjar binks....mother of god, I just had an image....the horror...the horror (crawls under desk,goes into fetal position and cries)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Contracting the game development out is imo a smart move.Usually those contracts ask for too much and if the developer can't pull it off,they lose a ton of money,so the contractor sits pretty with little to lose.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

Maybe Battlefront 3 could actually be updated and finished this would be awesome.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/05/05/hour-long-star-wars-battlefront-3-stream-shows-what-could-have-been/

• aliton12aliton12 Member Posts: 18

Yahoo! too exciting to see their train-wreck are on way! :-)  EA-Disney's Deal will be horrible idea and Disney bandwagon with 2 years worsen of company.

I hope Square-enix step off their Final Fantasy series with their Disney Character in Kingdom Hearts will be finalize 3rd installment and nothing more.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    EA is allergic to mmos the ones the publish are usually horrible or poorly managed. disney is VERY adverse to mmos and more kid directed, I doubt we will see anything along the lines of a new battlefront or mmo for a while is ever.

so say we all

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

Disney should of given the IP to CD Project who make the Witcher games. At least then they would be decent and very well story driven without any horrid DRM or ties to Origin.

EA can not make a decent game if it tried you just got to look at Sim city, SWTOR and DA2 along with the very poor ending and milking of ME3.

• DereknorDereknor Member Posts: 35
    Disney closing LucasArts and give the rights to EA? I just feel really bad about this. It just feels like luke has been brought to the Emperor and Darth Vader, who want to convert him to the bad side ;)
  • NicoustNicoust Member UncommonPosts: 17

Sad news about EA.

I've never played 'em, and likely wouldn't have done; with EA at the helm (or what, in their case, passes for a helm) I definitely wont be.