Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO do you believe had the best potential but failed in execution?

This is the thread of the MMOs that could have been. Some MMOs out on the market had great potentials, they promised great mechanics, fluid combat, great graphics, ect. But then you log in and just notice the game fell flat on their face and never recover years later because the developers just don't seem to care. The games that make you say "This game could have been a lot of fun if the developers decided to save it." What MMO do you believe had the most potential but failed in execution?

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    WAR

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• nerbonnerbon Member Posts: 28
    eve online
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    WAR

I agree.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    WAR

Yep, agreed. Warhammer Online had everything going for it. Awesome IP, big budget team. But they botched it and created some weird PvP WoW clone.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    WoW, it could have been great but went for the mass market.
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    Fallen Earth
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    AC2, WAR, GW2
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Maybe it is is great, but not to the lunatic fringe?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

swtor for theampark mmos.

awesome story driven mmo from 1-50 then it was like walking off a cliff.

WAR for rvr/pvp mmos.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by RefMinor

The numbers say otherwise...just sayin

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Aion 

the abyss idea was great

being able to jump a rift to the enemy's side of the planet and gank.

Wings where you could fly.

Tons of classes.

But man... that game was just awful.  All the botting, gold selling spam. Dungeons almost never dropped loot, and the quests were just awful.

Also gw2.

They made everything sound so amazing in innovative, but it was just a casual crap shoot of boredom and dullness. with dull combat and way too much story content that was not very interesting.

Also their "dynamic event" system that they crammed down everyones throat was just more of the same "chore questing" with a little twist of randomness.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Vanguard - still the best character classes to date and Fallen Earth

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    The vets will remember this http://www.darkandlight.com/en/ 

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Tabula Rasa
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Aion 

the abyss idea was great

being able to jump a rift to the enemy's side of the planet and gank.

Wings where you could fly.

Tons of classes.

But man... that game was just awful.  All the botting, gold selling spam. Dungeons almost never dropped loot, and the quests were just awful.

Also gw2.

They made everything sound so amazing in innovative, but it was just a casual crap shoot of boredom and dullness. with dull combat and way too much story content that was not very interesting.

Also their "dynamic event" system that they crammed down everyones throat was just more of the same "chore questing" with a little twist of randomness.

Yeah I was hugely dissapointed with the dynamic events. Thought they would be something spectacular but instead turned out to be like your standard quests, going around in circles with no lasting effect on the world.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    AoC, WAR or Aion for me.
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    TESO
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I'm going to say Scarlet Blade. They really needed to try harder getting the name out there.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    I'd say Vanguard or Warhammer Online.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Age of Conan,maan i thought that its going to be Anarchy Online meets Hyboria,i was wrong.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• KrirostakriKrirostakri Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    Tabula Rasa

This! I had the collectors edition and everything :( Great concept, bad execution of it.It was very enjoyable, was sad whenthey shut it down so early

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Tabula Rasa for me as well.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    GW2, TERA, maybe Aion. Someone said ESO and part of me is worried that he might be right, let's hope they can get it right in the next few months.
  • VictimMachineVictimMachine Member Posts: 3
    My vote would be WAR as well. Sucks cause I had the whole family playing and had bought three accounts, lol.
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Vanguard and Shadowbane.

Almost forgot Freaking Dark and light.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com