Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Well, I did it. I've beaten Neverwinter! (On my Guardian Fighter)

Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon

I did it... it took me 3 days and 3 hours to play through the game from 1-60 and then fully obtain my characters T2 set. I've essentially beaten the game and there's really not much else to do in it. While the Foundry is a nice side feature it truly does not appeal to me as for additional content. 

OVERVIEW

The combat gameplay within Neverwinter Online is fun and fast paced. As a tank I had a great experience constantly knocking down and knocking back my opponents in PvE and PvP however. Once You get to 60 and do the dungeons (again) there's really not much else to do. The progression is too fast for someone to experience all of the content. I essentially finished the game without even experiencing the 2 final zones. I believe that there will need to be a large addition to the current level cap for the game or drastically reduce the amount of experience you gain while playing.

GEAR

The gear within the game is very bland and typically you'll have a mix between greens and blues. By the time you get to 40-50 you'll be completely decked out in full blues and if you were lucky enough to find an epic weapon around 38 you'll find that the weapon you found will never be replaced until you're level 60. I'm not joking either. If you run the Gray Wolf Den for example; there are epic pieces of equipment equal to T1 gear at level 60. This greatly hurts the gear progression in the game drastically. Cosmetic appeal for equipment is some what bland. The variety just isn't there. There are about 4-5 different types of armor that you'll see as you progress through the levels and they're all quite similar.

ENCHANTING

Enchanting is quite simple in this game. Throughout your time within Neverwinter Online you'll pick up enchants rapidly. Once you have five enchants you can upgrade them into a higher rank. During my pay through of Neverwinter I never needed to once socket my gear with enchants. While it could have helped me during my time leveling. I did not feel like it was needed while leveling and by not wasting enchants in the long run it helped me by holding onto them for my T2 Epic set.

DUNGEONS

The dungeons are enjoyable. They're not too long and usually run anywhere from 30-45 minutes with a decent team. However, I highly recommend completely skipping the Den of the Mad Dragon in the level range of 30-34. This is due to serious balancing issues with the final boss fight being almost impossible for a well prepared team to tackle. We ended bringing very high level players into the dungeon just to take down the over grown lizard and it was not worth the effort. You'll occasionally have a group that'll struggle with the dungeons however you'll easily be able to complete any other dungeon.

PLAYER VS. PLAYER

The PvP within Neverwinter with my experience as a Guardian Fighter is quite enjoyable. I built my Guardian with full tank and knockdowns and knock backs. It's like playing an epic ping pong match within these matches. There are some balancing issues and I've occasionally have fallen victim to a rogue dealing almost 30,000 damage to me (my entire life bar). However, for the most part I think many of the classes are some what balanced and only need minor tweaks in their damage.

Something I might point out. That if you're an avid PvP Player you'll find that the two arenas do get quite boring after repeating them many times over. By the time I had hit 40 I leveled strictly off of PvP from there on out. This allowed me to completely purchase my entire set of gear by the time I was 60 and instantly equip it. This made me quite unhappy that they'd allow this to be so easily farmed as this gear is essentially on equal terms with T1 Dungeon gear.

CASH SHOP

The Cash shop is really not worth your time. I played through the entire game in 3 days and was able to obtain enough astral diamonds to afford upgrading my mount completely. I spent 0 dollars on the game and do not see any Pay-to-Win aspects as far as PvE or PvP in this game. While I understand there are multiple meanings of Pay-to-Win for other people. My personal definition for Pay-to-Win is having an advantage with stat bases items that are only obtainable through the cash shop. So in my opinion I indeed do no see any Pay-to-Win advantage within the Neverwinter Cash Shop.

SUMMARY

In the end I did enjoy my time playing Neverwinter and it's a good filler while waiting for other games to release. However, in my opinion I don't believe there's any longevity that'll come from this game at its current rate. The level grind is too fast and there's truly not much to achieve when you're at max level. The foundry missions are fun even with people putting out some really bad maps. But there's just not enough content within the game to keep the player coming back.

Go head and comment telling me what your experiences with the game were like and I hoped you enjoyed my "little" write up on the game.

:UPDATE:

(Due to people stating that I did not not truly complete the game fully because I had not obtained R7 enchants on my gear. I went through and ran dungeons for ~ 3 more days to complete my full T2 set enchants. Which sets my current game time at 6 days 7 hours played.)

I recommend to stay clear of this game unless a new server opens up with a fresh start or if Cryptic does a complete wipe. Due to major exploits that have taken place within the game.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Grats

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ columbus, OHPosts: 539Member Uncommon
    How many hours per day did you put into this?
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,498Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

I thought he meant 75 hours when he said 3 days 3 hours. That's a really short amount of time to get decked out completely like that.

• GolelornGolelorn Hiding From Social Media Peeping Toms, ALPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon
    I enjoyed your write up. I'm sure you're going to get a lot of snarky comments, unfortunately.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ columbus, OHPosts: 539Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by colddog04

I thought he meant 75 hours when he said 3 days 3 hours. That's a really short amount of time to get decked out completely like that.

Well I assume that's what he meant. I was more wondering if he plowed through it over a week playing like 10 hours a day, or if he split it up more. Was considering playing this as a pick up/put down game here and there.

• StonesDKStonesDK SomewherePosts: 1,805Member
    I've occasionally have fallen victim to a rogue dealing almost 30,000 damage to me (my entire life bar)

Completely unrelated to anything here but I never understood why some games use those kind of high numbers. You could shave a zero off your life and general damage and it wouldn't even matter. It's doesn't really enhance the game in any way. I personally find it ridiculous and one of those "minor" things that turn me off from playing

• theniffrigtheniffrig DublinPosts: 351Member
    @ OP: Where will you go now for your MMO fix? Also before Neverwinter what other MMO's do you play regularly? I mean if Neverwinter only lasted you 3 days, I'm genuinely curious as to what does last you? (I'm not trying to be snarky here or anything btw. Just curious)
  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by StonesDK
    I've occasionally have fallen victim to a rogue dealing almost 30,000 damage to me (my entire life bar)

Completely unrelated to anything here but I never understood why some games use those kind of high numbers. You could shave a zero off your life and general damage and it wouldn't even matter. It's doesn't really enhance the game in any way. I personally find it ridiculous and one of those "minor" things that turn me off from playing

People like big numbers I suppose. I often ask myself the same question really. It's not needed and when you start dealing with more content being added to the game it becomes a hassle for the developer.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

I put a lot of time into the game. I don't quite know how much per day. However, I did not play the game on the first day due to signification rubberbanding issues. So the "release date" for myself was on the day after the release.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Rohnert Park, CAPosts: 848Member
    Time to work on your alt (s) !!
  • RandomDownRandomDown Louisville, KYPosts: 145Member
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by StonesDK

People like big numbers I suppose. I often ask myself the same question really. It's not needed and when you start dealing with more content being added to the game it becomes a hassle for the developer.

It generally has to do with the algorithms they use. It is easier to not have to bother with decimals, which is why at the lower levels you're hitting for 45, instead of 4.5. Unfortunately it just snowballs into these ridiculously large, arbitrary numbers. There is no functional difference between 30000 and 3000 if everything is scaled for it anyways.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member
    So, in this game, there is only the level 1-60 push? There is nothing else? I ask because you stated that you made level 60 but didn't even see all of the content (which is a good thing IMO). I know the foundry is supposed to be the "thing" and I understood that you didn't want to mess with that (I probably wouldn't either, I don't in STO).

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by theniffrig
    @ OP: Where will you go now for your MMO fix? Also before Neverwinter what other MMO's do you play regularly? I mean if Neverwinter only lasted you 3 days, I'm genuinely curious as to what does last you? (I'm not trying to be snarky here or anything btw. Just curious)

It really depends on what kind of game I'm in the mood for. I do however like to play a lot of classic MMOs that take quite a long time to progress through. A few classic games I play are DAoC, Anarchy Online, and Everquest. I also have a game that I'm playing right now that's a tactical mmo called Wakfu. The list  goes on with many other games.

I try to give every game a chance. However, if I "beat" a game within the first month I usually don't continue with the game. Games like Tera, Raiderz, and or Vindictus are quite fun and fast paced with their content but once again; I run into the issue of playing through all of the content too fast.

Any game that has a substantial level curve I typically like. Anarchy Online's max level is 220. Wakfu and Dofus are both 100+. While I have stated many times before about how much I completely disliked how Mythic handles Warhammer Online. I still played the game for two years before saying to myself that the major issues weren't going to get fixed.

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    So, in this game, there is only the level 1-60 push? There is nothing else? I ask because you stated that you made level 60 but didn't even see all of the content (which is a good thing IMO). I know the foundry is supposed to be the "thing" and I understood that you didn't want to mess with that (I probably wouldn't either, I don't in STO).

I think a main problem with "player created content" such as the Foundry or like in EQ2, etc. is that, in my case and I'm sure many others, I feel like if it's not made by the "professionals" ( i.e. the devs ), it's not "content".

For example, I wouldn't pay a fee to Bethesda just so I could play Skyrim mods.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

The content that is after level 60 are "epic" dungeons. Just like World of Warcraft or any other game that follows the same type of system. The foundry missions are fun but there's no progression for me keep me going post T2 equipment.

Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Time to work on your alt (s) !!

I did this for SWTOR and had 4 characters at max level before I started to want to smash my face against the keyboard. The game ends up becoming so repetitive that I start to hate the game. While a game like SWTOR has different stories for each of the classes going through the content over and over again becomes unbearable. I however, did love playing my Sorcerer for the first time through. Even though he turned from a blood red alien in the beginning to a cotten candy colored sith.

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon

grats, op.

which game will you tackle next ?

Originally posted by Robokapp

grats, op.

which game will you tackle next ?

I'm eyeballing ESO next. The PvP might be fun if the raiding portion of the game doesn't hold up to par.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Detroit, MIPosts: 119Member
    Conglaturation !!!
    You have completed
    a great game.
    And prooved the justice
    of our culture.
    Now go and rest our
    heroes  !

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• DeniZgDeniZg ZagrebPosts: 669Member Uncommon

Grats OP.

Two questions:

• Did you exploit the foundry so you could level fast, or did you just run PVP 24/7?
    • What is your opinion on infamous Wards (reqiured for high level enchants)? Did you even obtain them and if so, how?
    Thanks in advance. 
    Originally posted by Golelorn
    I enjoyed your write up. I'm sure you're going to get a lot of snarky comments, unfortunately.

Let the snarky comments flow! 

Originally posted by DeniZg

Grats OP.

Two questions:

• Did you exploit the foundry so you could level fast, or did you just run PVP 24/7?
    • What is your opinion on infamous Wards (reqiured for high level enchants)? Did you even obtain them and if so, how?
    Thanks in advance. 

I did not exploit the foundry missions. I played legitmately through the entire game up until about level 40 in which I then moved to playing PvP.

I didn't use any of the wards to get the high level enchants and I didn't quite see the need for it as the difference in stats from them aren't very important unless you're trying to min/max as much as possible. I believe I have a mix of R5-6 enchants for my character.

• VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,968Member Uncommon
    I'm not buying this. Doesn't sound believable at all without spending cash. With the $200 founders pack, maybe, but not without. I mean, those mount upgrades cost a lot of AD... almost 3,000,000 in total. I can believe someone can power through the game and just grind the endgame tokens for the gear, that's easily done. I'm one piece off the full set of glory gear myself. 3 million AD though without paying and without exploiting? No chance.
  • Aren_DAren_D SkienPosts: 92Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm not buying this. Doesn't sound believable at all without spending cash. With the $200 founders pack, maybe, but not without. I mean, those mount upgrades cost a lot of AD... almost 3,000,000 in total. I can believe someone can power through the game and just grind the endgame token for the gear, that's easily done. 3 million AD though without paying and without exploiting? No chance.

With high prices at release just by selling 4 level 60 epics would make him 2m AD richer without any problem. Considering how fast he got full T2 full set, I won't be surprised if he had a lot of other stuff to sell.

"Don't argue with dick-heads, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

• dadante666dadante666 buford, GAPosts: 404Member Uncommon
    the info is nothing new ,lot of people reach max lvl in NW in 3 days too whit few hours the game is not along term tho but its fun to kill time