Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Silly Poll] Where are the WoW players going?

Comments

• WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Member UncommonPosts: 78

I played WoW for 6.5 years, but Cataclysm ruined the game for me. About a year after Cat launch, I quit the game for good and migrated through a couple of other games that were very brief stops -- Star Wars the Old Republic for about 4-5 months, but that game bored me and just wasn't fun ; I continued a long flirtation with Star Trek Online until the Season 7 patch which caused me to cancel my sub to that game, once and for all ; I played Tera pre-f2p for about 3-4 months but it just lacked something -- it was more fun than TOR but just didn't capture my attention the way EQ1 and WoW (and SWG) did in the past.

I'm currently playing The Secret World and thoroughly enjoying the game, mainly because (1) It doesn't have elves/gnomes/dragons and other fantasy world tropes (2) it's set in a (more) realistic real world (3) It's a LOT of fun. The shaky launch and shaky down-sizing worries me, but I'll keep playing TSW because the dev team (Joel) seems to understand MMO players and has added some innovative concepts to a genre that has been burdened with so many me-too! clones in the last decade.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

The first time I took a break from WoW I played EVE because I was looking for something different than WoW, I mean if I was tired of WoW, why would I play a WoW clone. I found a friendly corporation and played for a couple years.

I am currently on a second break from WoW and am playing Star Craft and having fun. I would love to find a good MMO that keeps me entertained but until then I am enjoying playing the RTS.

What I am looking for: I would love a good skill based, fantasy, sandbox game that's PVE oriented, has good graphics and an intuitive UI. Wurm came the closest for what I am looking for but it had a terrible UI to the point of getting in the way of gameplay. 

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    I can only hope to WorldAlpha! :)  There are way more options out there for gamers, then when WoW first started.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'll vote tonight when at home but without looking at the list I'd say spread across various games. With every new quality MMO the base gets spread out. This is especially true if the gameplay is the same. Add in a few titles going F2P (Swtor, Tera, etc.) and you have the perfect storm of people branching out because they are tired of the same. At least moving to a different version of the same changes the pace slightly.

I think GW2 and SWTOR F2P hurt the worst and it's only going to get harder for WoW. I don't ever think a single title will match or beat WoW but it will drop significantly over the next five years. At that point probably be F2P once Titan comes out.

As a side note I can't wait to see how Blizz reacts. They always seem to have things saved up for impact when bad news is made public.
  • VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I voted for muffins because I am hungry and they sound delicious...

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Why you laugh about EVE? Most of my friends from Eve play WOW to.
  • Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Razperil
    If you continue to dub down your game

it has been dubbed down too much >.>

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Probably working on the massive backlog of games they have accumulated over the years during Steam sales etc...
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Outside, its been a while.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Outdoors
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

The majority of thsoe lost subs were because the 1 year subscription from Diablo ended in May.

The majority of thsoe people left already and are enjoying themselves in games such as GW2, AoW, DF and NWO to name a few.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I dunno about others but my attempts at leaving WoW after six years were other F2P games that were basically "clones." Nothing wrong with that except for the fact that i wanted to stop playing WoW so there's not point in playing other games that play exactly like it.

It took quite awhile of trying literally hundreds of different F2P games that i finally got back into single player games. Now i play a mix but i'm mostly pretty focused on single player games for now. I play online often in games like Battlefield 3 or Vindictus and all those but i play them extremely casually right now.

Kingdoms of Amalur is a must play for any RPG fan, just throwin that out there! =p

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• CadejocrCadejocr Member Posts: 7

lol , i return to wow 2 months ago , running away from aow where nobody pvp and the quest was really crap. Guys is not the game is you that lost friends. Missing wow vanilla is really mising teenager times.

Find new friends, new games a be happy.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I'd say a lot of lost players are young adults now, and are getting on with life.

It happens.

• VictimMachineVictimMachine Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I think a big chunk will be pvpers going to lol.

Why pay a sub to sit queueing to go pointless mini games when you can do the same thing for free?

This...

• nerbonnerbon Member Posts: 28

well that vote shows

mmorpgs are dead...only older crowd is interested in them

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446

Playing Eq2 atm   throughout the years i bounce btw Wow/eq2 and various other MMOs.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    well I've been told that WoW was very popular due to the low system requirements, so I'm guessing that if they are leaving it's to a similar "low requirement" game.  I'm guessing they've started up on this

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

I played from Vanilla and stopped just before they released MOP. They direction of the game had changed too much for my liking. I'm currently not playing any MMO's at the moment but am waiting for information on Titan to be released before I decide if I will wait for that to come out or invest in another game.

I'm one of those guys that will only play one MMO at a time and will stick with it for years if it is decent enough.

In my opinion there is no company comparable to Blizzard in terms of MMOs. The amount of revenue they generate is phenomenal, the effort they place in creating amazing expansions and patches is second to none and by pouring massive amounts into their next game I fully expect Titan to be the next WoW.

• residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Add 'Still looking" to the list.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    WOW is the best pve game I have experienced.  However I am not a pve player.  I saw quite a few people leave the game because the pvp wasn't what they expected.  I am willing to bet that their pvp community is the majority of those players who left.  WOW has the best content I have seen and they did an excellent job with their pve.  The pvp was soo poorly done that I left along with many others.  Their main problem is they only feel that the level 90 pvp is worth balancing.  What they don't realize is you have all your players suffer through 89 levels of stupid balance issues.  Most of them just say forget it why bother.  I'm speaking from over 15 years of pvp gaming and I tell you that WOW is the worse balance I have ever experienced.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    MOM's all across the United States are kicking their kid's outside to play. Wish this was on the poll list. It could very well be true.  :)
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

The Secret World, Guild Wars 2 or Neverwinter missing in the list?

Really?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Well, you know all of the old UO and EQ and DAoC and SWG and {insert title} players that hang out here and do pretty much nothing but complain?

Welcome to the BitterVets country club! We'll roll out the red carpet when your limo pulls up.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.