Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Citizen: An Update on Progress

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Citizen not only met its crowd-funding goal, it soared to the heights and beyond. We managed to catch up with Chris Roberts to talk about what's next for the team as they prepare the next generation of space-themed MMOs. See what Chris has to say before heading to the comments to add your voice to the discussion.

Being crowdfunded, the team is working to make sure every dime is well spent. The office space in Santa Monica combines the creative team with the general systems team. This is where a lot of the design is being done. Most of the ships and artwork you have seen are built out through 3D models on the game side so they can be sent directly to the team in Austin who are working on the dog fight scenarios.  So each office has its clear purpose.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Star Citizen: An Update on Progress.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Few games have ever excited me like this one.  It's more than a game... it may end up being a way of life if they deliver on all their ideas.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Few games have ever excited me like this one.  It's more than a game... it may end up being a way of life if they deliver on all their ideas.

Like wise and the Wingmans's show cements the open relationship with the community and watching this team grow,also the talent at  CIG gives me no doubts this game will rock big time.

p>
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Thank goodness this team knows how to spend their money wisely! I am so sick of seeing other teams abuse the money they receive and use it on extravagant offices and huge advertisement campaigns. 

Smile

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Would it be possible to put myself into deep sleep until this arrives...

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I've been looking forward to this game. Hope it's as good as it sounds.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

What I wish more MMORPG's were.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

We're saved.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

That team is working on the boarding and planet-fall parts of the game. All of this will be in first person.

--I REALLY wish there were a third person view option.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by DeaconX

That team is working on the boarding and planet-fall parts of the game. All of this will be in first person.

Just try and pretend you werent raised on console games and everything will be just fine.

• splatfarmerxsplatfarmerx Member UncommonPosts: 12

Right now there are about forty four people working on Star Citizen between full time, contractors, and come outsourcing.

come outsourcing.....EEEWWWW.... lol

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276

If I was any other game company I would be worried. This game has the potential to leave behind little tumble weeds at other game companies.

cant wait

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Golden Ticket first day registered backer here. Bring it on! 

This is more than a game. It's THE game.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    To be able to relive my Wing Commander/Freelancer days in a MMO will be amazing. Hell I STILL have Freelancer installed on my laptop...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I wish to see more.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DaedalEVEDaedalEVE Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Roin

I COULD make it work, but it would require millions in funding, years of further synthetic genomics research, human testing, hardware development, etc. and unfortunately it wouldn't work for you... but maybe your son/daughter!

First I would have to decode an amphibian gnome (a species that can survive being frozen). I don't know if it's been done so it could take a while. Then identify the sequence responsible for the development of it's cell walls and backup a digital copy of the sequence in a computer for later. Next I'd have to locate and isolate the sequence in our (human) DNA that is responsible for cell wall development (that's the easy part since the human genome has already been decoded). Then I can take the digitally stored information about the amphibian cell wall sequence, substitute that for the human cell wall sequence, and use nucleobases to  artificially construct an entire human DNA sequence from scratch. One you have the completed sequence you can implant that into an embryo and cross your fingers! 9 months later we should have a genetically modified human with "elasticized" cell walls. 

You see, one reason we can't freeze ourselves is because our cells are mostly water, and when water freezes it expands, and that expansion typically bursts cell walls and kills the cell (it destroys it's functionality). Well certain species of amphibian have cell walls that stretch, so that when the water inside freezes and it expands it won't rupture the cell wall. Additionally the cells themselves contain a sort of biological anti-freeze the lowers the freezing temp. So by exploiting these genetic traits and adapting them for human use we may be able to make cryogenics viable in humans. The catch is none of it would help any of US, as it's far too late for us to be genetically altered in such a way.

Also this is an idea I came up with in 1991 (when I was about 10 years old). So....

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Originally posted by snapfusion

Just try and pretend you werent raised on console games and everything will be just fine.

I have rarely played a console game in my life and I really despise first person.  Just sayin'  PC games since INFOCOM.

On a perceptual psych level, 3rd person more adeptly allows for peripheral vision.  First person view is like tunnel vision -- it's unnatural and doesn't represent any format of human vision unless restricted by a helmet or other blinders.

So, what was that point you thought you had?

• FailtrainFailtrain Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by DaedalEVE
    Originally posted by Roin

I COULD make it work, but it would require millions in funding, years of further synthetic genomics research, human testing, hardware development, etc. and unfortunately it wouldn't work for you... but maybe your son/daughter!

First I would have to decode an amphibian gnome (a species that can survive being frozen). I don't know if it's been done so it could take a while. Then identify the sequence responsible for the development of it's cell walls and backup a digital copy of the sequence in a computer for later. Next I'd have to locate and isolate the sequence in our (human) DNA that is responsible for cell wall development (that's the easy part since the human genome has already been decoded). Then I can take the digitally stored information about the amphibian cell wall sequence, substitute that for the human cell wall sequence, and use nucleobases to  artificially construct an entire human DNA sequence from scratch. One you have the completed sequence you can implant that into an embryo and cross your fingers! 9 months later we should have a genetically modified human with "elasticized" cell walls. 

You see, one reason we can't freeze ourselves is because our cells are mostly water, and when water freezes it expands, and that expansion typically bursts cell walls and kills the cell (it destroys it's functionality). Well certain species of amphibian have cell walls that stretch, so that when the water inside freezes and it expands it won't rupture the cell wall. Additionally the cells themselves contain a sort of biological anti-freeze the lowers the freezing temp. So by exploiting these genetic traits and adapting them for human use we may be able to make cryogenics viable in humans. The catch is none of it would help any of US, as it's far too late for us to be genetically altered in such a way.

Also this is an idea I came up with in 1991 (when I was about 10 years old). So....

This has already been done. I am living proof. In fact, I am actually frozen solid right now and I have trained myself to control computers solely through my thoughts while in a dream state.

Pretty cool, ae?

Back to sleep.

• SkelotonSkeloton Member Posts: 5
    It's nice to know! hopefully we could get more updates :)
  • Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94
    I don't know what all the hype is about.  It just looks meh

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Im sure its been said before, but this looks like a spiritual successor to Freelancer. Loved that game. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• rpgcloudrpgcloud Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Im sure its been said before, but this looks like a spiritual successor to Freelancer. Loved that game. 

I have many fond memories of freelancer, looking forward to seeing the development of Star Citizen and how much more it can achieve over it's predecessor.

• SteinarBSteinarB Member UncommonPosts: 54
    A lot of companies could learn something about cultivating a relationship with their fanbase from CIG.  I've rarely seen a game dev process which makes the fans/backers feel so involved with what's going on, and the fact that they're almost at $10 million dollars from crowdfunding alone, and still rising, is proof enough that if you treat your fanbase/customers with respect and make the sort of game _they_ want rather than what a venture capitalist thinks it has to be to sell as much as possible then those same fans will respond in kind.
  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

The price of success in today's online multiplayer jungle, is eternal vigilance, and this phrase was and has been Chris Roberts road to Space Opera Glory.

We all pray he is the Chosen One, to create the Space Game, X-WingvsTie Fighter-WC Saga-Privateer-Freelancer fans have been waiting for so many years!

Give me Blair,Tolwyn,and Maniac and give me lasers...i'll blast whatever moves within this galaxy or the next:P

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• PantheosPantheos Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by shava
    Originally posted by snapfusion

I have rarely played a console game in my life and I really despise first person.  Just sayin'  PC games since INFOCOM.

On a perceptual psych level, 3rd person more adeptly allows for peripheral vision.  First person view is like tunnel vision -- it's unnatural and doesn't represent any format of human vision unless restricted by a helmet or other blinders.

So, what was that point you thought you had?

Yeah cuz I see myself from behind all the time, you know I walk down the street, and I totally avoid that guy running up behind me to hit me in the back because I can see from about ten feet behind me through my crazy ass 360 degree peripheral vision.

Wait.. No I can't.

Third person sucks ass, it's not immersive at /all/. I am glad most of the game is first person because with good sound (Not like you can hear in space anyways) and control scheme you're /in/ the game, rather than playing it.

Third person sucks.