Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BBC - World of Warcraft subscribers are leaving, Activision warns

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    14% is a big deal. Silly people trying to downplay it. Blizzard/Activision is just like any other company on the stock exchange. 

Yes 14% is a big deal but when a game with 100k subs drops 14% the head line reads ;

Game X loses 14k subscribers, down to just 86k - no big deal

Wow loses 14% and it's;

WoW loses 1.3 million subs and is dying fast - the sky is falling

They still lost the same amount of players relative to their player bases, it's a natural decline, it will spike back up for a time when the next expansion hits then drop again.  Ofc any spike in player are all bots and blizzard lies.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    I am not surprised, the game is almost 9 years old.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

I smell a potential f2p conversion coming on.

Lets face facts.  Games like TERA, SW:TOR, Aion, and LOTRO were only kinda popular when they were s2p games, but once they converted to f2p, they experienced HUGE population booms.  The same will happen if/when WoW converts to f2p, and right now, I think it's less of a matter of "if" than it is of "when".  In fact, even if they made it b2p where players had to buy the expansion packs but not need to pay a subscription, that would create a similarly huge population boom (and might be enough to bring me back).

Meh, if a game good its worth $15 a month, if it not worth that then its not worth me wasting my time on it even if it is free

• dc1509dc1509 Member UncommonPosts: 11

I'm actually one of those 1.3 mil.

I'm coming back each major update for a month or so to check what's going on, and always leave ...

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Iselin
    It's because Bliz has lost touch wit pop culture. Kung Fu Panda? Really? Madagascar, Finding Nemo and Land Before Time were much, much better. So where are the penguin, fish and dino people, eh?

My guess is they are saving the dino people and the penguin race for the next expansion. :)

• fariah033fariah033 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I only have one word to say " DAILIES "
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Originally posted by ThaneUlfgar
    I am not surprised, the game is almost 9 years old.

After the 1-60 revamp in Cata majority of the game's content is not older than a bit over 2 years (Cata pre-patch came in november 2010), so this is not an excuse, imo.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

They can add new things to the game to bring people back, that fit the game.

1. Player housing and decoration. The items for decoration can be gathered from quests, and they can make it so that a person to get this item must complete the quest in a certain time or without dying etc.

2. Social activities. People might log off to play another game, isnt it better to add something that keeps player interested and can be used as a quest as well? A wow card game like magic, or maybe a racing game. This can be incorporated into quests.

3. Player made content. Allow players to make content. Design duel arenas or certain mazes can be played and devs can add rewards as they see fit for completing this content. Or even with mini games like a racing game and allowing for mazes and traps and race tracks.

4. Building in a persistent world. The engine uses dated graphics and instead of updating them, they can add more features allowing people to build anywhere. People can build or dig anywhere. Something like this needs more supporting ideas.

5. Turning WoW into a 3d strategy and player being the strongest unit. This involves a base which be guild or individually owned. Again depending on the engine and demands of such an idea it can be in the open world or an instance. Even if its an instance adding player decoration and game advancement unlocking certain npcs, adds a lot of replayability to the game with new features. Something i have been wanting in an mmo for a long time.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Before a lot of people make random comments about the reason it is losing subs, just remember most of the lost subs came from the east.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by fariah033

i hate dailies too

as others have said, WOW is still doing great when compared to any other mmo

but Blizzard took a 17% drop since their October 2012 claim of 10 million

if Activision is to be believed from the BBC article, 

subs are expected to fall lower next financial quarter too

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by silvermember
    Before a lot of people make random comments about the reason it is losing subs, just remember most of the lost subs came from the east.

thats meaningless info

5 years ago,  Blizzard claimed WOW had a 55%  Asia  45% US/EU split

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/01/22/world-of-warcraft-hits-10-million-subscribers/

if both regions lost proportionate subs

-- you could still claim Asia lost more (because Asia has the most subs)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Oh well. All things come to an end. Good thing they have their next MMORPG in the oven.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Hmmmm think its about time they started talking a bit more about TITAN tbh.

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84
    So there are some people out there who played through the content and are no longer subbed? I never would have guessed! I thought MMO's lasted forever!
  • mizrolistmizrolist Member UncommonPosts: 40

It's because Bliz has lost touch wit pop culture. Kung Fu Panda? Really? Madagascar, Finding Nemo and Land Before Time were much, much better. So where are the penguin, fish and dino people, eh?

Pandaren existed years before Kung Fu Panda. I have to say, the Kung Fu Panda movie is a cheap ripoff of Chen Stormstout from Warcraft III.

Signatures are boring things.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by mizrolist

Pandaren existed years before Kung Fu Panda. I have to say, the Kung Fu Panda movie is a cheap ripoff of Chen Stormstout from Warcraft III.

WOW copied Kung Fu Panda in the same way Warhammer copied WOW.

(My Reverse-O-Tron appears to be broken.  Hmm, subtle isn't it?)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by mizrolist

You are familiar with the phrase "jumped the shark?"

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by expresso
    14% is a big deal. Silly people trying to downplay it. Blizzard/Activision is just like any other company on the stock exchange. 

Yes 14% is a big deal but when a game with 100k subs drops 14% the head line reads ;

Game X loses 14k subscribers, down to just 86k - no big deal

Wow loses 14% and it's;

WoW loses 1.3 million subs and is dying fast - the sky is falling

They still lost the same amount of players relative to their player bases, it's a natural decline, it will spike back up for a time when the next expansion hits then drop again.  Ofc any spike in player are all bots and blizzard lies.

You are very naive, are you ?

Imagine your wage would drop by 14%, no big deal huh?

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by fariah033

i hate dailies too

as others have said, WOW is still doing great when compared to any other mmo

but Blizzard took a 17% drop since their October 2012 claim of 10 million

if Activision is to be believed from the BBC article, 

subs are expected to fall lower next financial quarter too

The problem for Activision is that their whole company is based upon two massive gaming franchises COD and WoW (used to be Guitar Hero as well but thats gone) and one is in irreversible decline so they are putting out mild profit warnings and excuses as to why to stop investors panicking. 

This was EA taking a swipe at Activision in 2010.

"His company is based on three game franchises," Brown continued. "One is a fantastic persistent world he had nothing to do with; one is in steep decline; and the third is in the process of being destroyed by Kotick's own hubris."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-09-28-ea-swipes-back-at-kotick

So if you are an Activision investor there's reason to be concerned. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Epicent
    Originally posted by Axehilt

The surprise isn't that the population has dropped.  It's quite old.

The surprise is that it's taken this long and dropped by this little.  Tons of MMORPGs out there dream of only losing 14% of their userbase a year after launch, let alone nearly a decade post-launch.

That is in just 3 months though. The peak was 12 millions subs so its closer to 33 percent.

The 12m was a long time ago. So it took quite a while to drop 33%.

Anyways if Blizzard convert to f2p/b2p then I can safely say that P2P is dead. If WoW can't sustain a P2P model no other game can. I mean look at the market at the moment. How many P2P games are there? 3? 5? Probably no more than that. 

I guess people just want to play F2P. It will take probably at least another 2-3 years for Blizzard to drop the sub unless something really dramatic happens. I mean even if WoW dropped to 500k subs it would still be worthwhile to keep the sub. So WoW needs to lose A LOT of subs for them to convert to b2p/f2p.

No way.  If they even lose another million heads are going to roll.  This isn't about relative profitability and are they maintaining enough to make some money and keep development going.  This is about investor returns.  Investors are going to be pissed because even a 10% drop in projected revenue is enough to send stock on a decline.

Corporations are expected to improve revenue.  If Acti/Blizz can't poo out something to increase their revenue forecasts then they're in trouble as in executives will be replaced.  On the bright side this might light a fire under them to get Titan out.

It's hard to say if they would shift their business model though.  In a recent interview they said they're always open, but given the present revenue generation they have no plans to change that in the near future.

Exactly Blizz/Act have lost 3.7 million WoW subs since 2010, that equates to a lot of lost revenue and what are they replacing it with? couple that with the demise of Guitar Hero and the further decline of WoW the company isn't really giving investors optimism for the future.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

I smell a potential f2p conversion coming on.

Lets face facts.  Games like TERA, SW:TOR, Aion, and LOTRO were only kinda popular when they were s2p games, but once they converted to f2p, they experienced HUGE population booms.  The same will happen if/when WoW converts to f2p, and right now, I think it's less of a matter of "if" than it is of "when".  In fact, even if they made it b2p where players had to buy the expansion packs but not need to pay a subscription, that would create a similarly huge population boom (and might be enough to bring me back).

Yeah, maybe in about another 7.9 million users or so...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Hmm... Guild Wars 2 hasn't even released in China yet.

It's a small fish in the sea of MMOs. It wouldn't have an impact on any title, especially WoW

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Subscribers to the online adventure game World of Warcraft have dropped dramatically this year, publisher Activision Blizzard has said.

The company said 14% of users left the game between January and March - a fall of 1.3 million.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22464058

Wuz it the fuzzy wuzzy panda bears and the monkeys throwing bananas in Deadmines that gave away this wasn't worth playing any longer?

EDIT: after seeing the disgusting post that followed this, let me point out that there was no intent to be "racist" here in any way.  I merely pointed out the direction of WoW toward a more "youthful" audience, through my comment which sadly, was not even sarcastic because there are Panda Bears and nanna tossing monkeys in Deadmines. 

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

long ago blizz was standing for innovation with their games. since wow there has been hardly any. sure it all got more convenient and the like but after all these years it's basically still the same game systems that it had at launch.

i personally never could understand how someone can play something that simple (gear grind with running dungeon after dungeon, raid after raid) for so long. so therefor the loss in subs is well deserved if you ask me. sadly blizz is no longer capeable to make these revolutionary game as back in the days...

i mean i am playing eve since like 8 years by now and that game got tons of really new mechanics over the years and not the same old in a new dress so their steady grow is well deserved :)

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by xenom

long ago blizz was standing for innovation with their games. since wow there has been hardly any. sure it all got more convenient and the like but after all these years it's basically still the same game systems that it had at launch.

i personally never could understand how someone can play something that simple (gear grind with running dungeon after dungeon, raid after raid) for so long. so therefor the loss in subs is well deserved if you ask me. sadly blizz is no longer capeable to make these revolutionary game as back in the days...

i mean i am playing eve since like 8 years by now and that game got tons of really new mechanics over the years and not the same old in a new dress so their steady grow is well deserved :)

There was a time when I was simply blown away by WoW.  What can ya do :(I