Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, the Foundry. Only reason Neverwinter was special. Is fubar now.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't think its really a game you play hardcore. It's more a run a dungeon for fun game than let's have a guild where the game is a second job game. Critic just don't work like that, city of heroes wasn't a game for hardcore raiders, it was for casual pveers and role players.

I see Neverwinter as the natural successor to coh.

It's perfect for me being f2p - 4 nights of ps2, 1 night pub, 1 night Neverwinter, 1 night Monaco, terraria, Torchlight 2 or some other game that's nice to play coop with Mrs mo on her crappy laptop
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    When you sit in a single city jumping from instance to instance you are already playing mini games. If it has the D&D label and it's not an open world it's an automatic fail, let alone what this game is.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

And than the fanboys walked in...

Actually I am playing the game , same as you are. Not powerleveling. Actually i am roleplayer , dont care about levels.

I am just concerned because Foundry was important step for MMOs in general. Player generated content.

It was supposed to be integral part of the game, on par with regular content...Now This as someone before said, turns foundry in just another roleplay novelty. And even so called fanboys will not play it much if it doesnt bring anything tangible in game.

You continue to make statements without facts. Prove that foundry quests are worth less then normal developer content when you figure in AD rewards. (and not just after 4th-5th time playing the ogre foundry quest straight) Prove that theres a developer made quest that allows you to make 2 levels in 15 mins (other then the tutorial area stuff) as your complaining that you can no longer do so in the ogre quest. (Which was obviously a exploit to any sane thinking person)

I'm betting you can't. Call me Fanbois all you want but I'm not the one making up BS here.

Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    When you sit in a single city jumping from instance to instance you are already playing mini games. If it has the D&D label and it's not an open world it's an automatic fail, let alone what this game is.

I'd argue open worlds were you have lines of adventure parties waiting in line to kill a boss mob, or 10 adventuring groups all in that lost secret lair training each other is a automatic fail. Fortunately you can play in that type of world as you wish and I can play in a instanced world. Neither of us has to go and troll games that cater to playstyles different then our own.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

User generated content. How great ! Innovative , right ?

Except it never worked. Why ?

Every game it was implemented , it was straight away used to power exploit the game.

Just one day after Neverwinter was launched, you had Foundry missions that you can level up to 4 levels in 15 minutes.

So what Cryptic does (as they havent predicted such behavior ? After having it in two previous games.) they nerf all the XP and drops in Foundry missions.

Basically ruining foundry for everyone. Yes even the fun ones.

Now you can run foundry missions because you love the story. Or instead play official quests and get xp and loot.

ps

Please not claim that Foundry is not nerfed but capped. Because people tested it, and its simply nerfed - not remotely worth same xp as even simply open world area.

Can you blame Cryptic for being heavy handed? I certainly can't.

If a player wants to be so bloody ignorant and selfish that they absolutely need to exploit a system that is basically amazing, then it's no wonder things are going to go pear shaped.

No matter the game, no matter the developer there is going to be some complete moron and others who want the quick fix, who will do their utmost to spoil it for the majority of players that abide by the rules.

Just because you can exploit doesn't mean you should, and using the argument that the developers should have made a more robust system isn't going to detract from the fact the perpetrators are ignorant, selfish and morally corrupt individuals, who wouldn't know a good game if it bit them on the arse.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I think 2 of my friends and myself are the only people that actually read/listen to quest text.  I've been kicked out of several groups for reading the text lol.  They're all "he must be afk!".  It's funny when some of my friends are in mumble and they're like "Hurry up and just press 1, we gotta do the next quest already" lol
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Every game it was implemented , it was straight away used to power exploit the game.

Just one day after Neverwinter was launched, you had Foundry missions that you can level up to 4 levels in 15 minutes.

So what Cryptic does (as they havent predicted such behavior ? After having it in two previous games.) they nerf all the XP and drops in Foundry missions.

Now you can run foundry missions because you love the story. Or instead play official quests and get xp and loot.

ps

Please not claim that Foundry is not nerfed but capped. Because people tested it, and its simply nerfed - not remotely worth same xp as even simply open world area.

Honestly...do you really believe Foundry DMs will stop creating campaigns when a majority of the players are max level? It's more about the respect some will build in this community as being a master DM and story weaver. I wouldn't be surprised if Cryptic introduces titles that can be bestowed onto DMs that truly push the boundaries of the Foundry system and create campaigns that will be remembered for years to come, across all mmos. And it won't be stopped by something as trivial as exp, gold or uncommon loot.....

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The notion of story is ridiculous,i played two top rated Foundry and they were in French ,i could not understand a single word on the screen.The other quests,all i do is look for the main click through's.There is no stories that i have seen yet,just your normal back n forth triggers,to npc>kill mobs>npc,same old same old.

The good thing is they are sort of fun because of the combat and imo it is always about the combat.I never find it FUN reading text on a screen,i end up using a bottle of Visine trying to read the punt typed words on screen.To create a story you need a reason to begin with,then a well laid out story plot several actors cut scenes effects,there is none of that.

I did one and to get the scene started i drank a beer with the bartender,not really a creative story or reason to even be there.

A French one all i did was click the NPC,i still have no idea why two shiny objects were in the scenes,i don't think they did anything to advance or were even involved in the quest.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Wizardry

The notion of story is ridiculous,i played two top rated Foundry and they were in French ,i could not understand a single word on the screen.The other quests,all i do is look for the main click through's.There is no stories that i have seen yet,just your normal back n forth triggers,to npc>kill mobs>npc,same old same old.

The good thing is they are sort of fun because of the combat and imo it is always about the combat.I never find it FUN reading text on a screen,i end up using a bottle of Visine trying to read the punt typed words on screen.To create a story you need a reason to begin with,then a well laid out story plot several actors cut scenes effects,there is none of that.

I did one and to get the scene started i drank a beer with the bartender,not really a creative story or reason to even be there.

A French one all i did was click the NPC,i still have no idea why two shiny objects were in the scenes,i don't think they did anything to advance or were even involved in the quest.

Sorry but it sounds like you never read a book in your life beyond when it was expected of you. Personally I enjoy reading beyond having to do so for work or school and the first time I did: The Hidden Blade I thought it was very well written. I'm a long time D&D player but never really wanted to DM because of the shear amount of creativity one has to come up with to weave a good campaign. I've always respected the work a good DM puts in and if I had a DM that said he/she was giving us two free levels for showing up, I would leave and never look back. What kind of a stupid DM would just hand out free levels to the people running his/her campaign? That would defeat the purpose of even being there...go figure there are adventurers that would eat this shit up...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Humm so you did 2 quests in a language you don't understand and you say the story didn't grab you??????????????????

Or otherwise known as reading is hard. reading in a language you don't know is harder, thus story sucks.

I'd suggest trying the hidden blade foundry quest but theres alot of reading in it, and in all truth is hard to get much story when you as you say "all I do is look for the main click through's" I can see why you say "there is no stories that I have seen yet". All to their own SW:TOR is mainly voiced acting so little reading for you. Might be more your style, as not every game is made for everyone.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

ps

I have played a foundry mission or two after the nerf, and I only noticed xp nerfs, not drop nerfs.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133

We are playing different games then. For me it's two great campaigns (unfinished yet) with over 20k positive reviews from players and Torment like amount of well written text in em. Also it's useful to check description first. Just in case. Or you can end up with quest ment for a full party.

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    The ones qqing about the nerf are the exploiters...just saying.

Yeah! Because anyone that is not like you is a cheat, right?

/fullretard

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

OP's friends lvled  up with the foundry exploit and he wants to  do the same but they fixed it.

/story

Now finally the great Foundry stuff will show up and I won't have to deal with having to dig through hundreds of "hurr hurr lvl arena  x1000".

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

I think you will really like the "Old Jerry" foundry quests.

Originally posted by coretex666

Only the exploiters? just asking

Well, I haven't been exploiting it, and I am not complaining about it, so...

In a way he is telling the truth.  All the ones who exploited it are qqing, but he didn't say the only ones who are qqing are the exploiters.  There are probably plenty of non-exploiters qho are qqing.

But yea, I can see how he came to that conclusion.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Xp comes to fast in this game. There is so much to do and I end up leveling past it.  There is no reason to rush to 60 and every reason to enjoy your time getting to cap.  Lower xp isn't going to stop my use of Foundry, I will probably use it more.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

ps

Foundry should have never been about the XP or the loot, it is about the story and the way the creator lays out that content for the players to enjoy.  I wouldn't worry about the XP and loot nerf, many could careless.

You and precious few might think so.

But when you can choose between playing dungeon for 30 minutes that bring you xp and loot, or 30 minutes that only bring you story (but you still have to use potions and resources) - even the believers will find them self gradually less enthusiastic.

In MMO time spent = reward , if time spent=reward is bigger in doing other activity , than people will do it.

Thats just how it is.

So if a game took 400 hours to get to cap but this content would let you do it in 20, you would think that is great?  Path of least resistance right?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    In a game like this, what's the rush?
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    The faster people can get to cap the sooner they can complain that there is nothing to do.  If they tried to enjoy themselves what would they have to bitch about?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I'm disappointed by this news, however, the alternative would be worse..(IE leaving known exploits to be exploited).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SwobyJSwobyJ Member Posts: 80
    OP, your threads are hilarious.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

OP you should really stop practicing your craft on yourself. Player created content overall is a great thing as it allows  not only floating turds but also genuine works of art to crop up.

To put it more simply: To anyone who thinks player created content is shit I will point out the simple logic within the following statement: Developers are people and people are capable of creating shit, would you prefer one team of professional devs creating content or hundreds maybe even thousands of independent developers some of whom are utter shit, some decent, some as good as the official devs and a scant few even better?

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Wrong. People with foresight know what is going to happen. Foundry will fall off the map, and no one will care about it.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

So I took the Foundry Daily today, I haven't touched the Foundry quests since Lobotomist told us all that they where not dropping loot/cash and exp due to being nerfed.

I was hesitant and just expected to play out the story and get my double Astral Diamonds, well imagine my surprise when after killing the first grp of mobs (I was doing the kidnap in Blacklake quest) they dropped money, an ID scroll and a piece of unidentified loot. I was a little taken aback by this, how can this be, Lobotomist told us all the Foundry was Fubar'd, nothing was worth doing in there anymore.

Then it dawned on me after completing the quest, gaining exp, gaining nearly a full bag of loot and many silver pieces later (I'm only lvl 24, dinged 24 though from that quest) what Lobotomist really meant was that the Foundry quests that where exploiting the game where now Fubar'd.

So while the 5% of players are moaning and complaining about this nerf, the rest of us can still enjoy the Foundry, because as far as I can see it's still doing the exact same thing as it did before.