Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really hope CSE avoids a "headstart" in CU.

MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Don't like it in any MMORPG's, even if I'm part of one. In CU especially, since how the housing system will work, and the competitive nature of the game.

Be it 7 days, 3 days, or even 1 day, I don't want it. We should all start @ zero hour.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Doesn't matter much to me. Due to real life I always am limited in my play time and quickly fall behind the high achievers so does it really matter?

Besides, what I'd like to see one day (but will never happen) is a game released without a beta, that way the game would launch with everyone at the same lack of knowledge level instead of having a group of players who have perfected their gameplay before many folks have had a chance to get into the game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Yeah, just in a game so player driven as this, 3 days could have one guy and his friends controlling the entire economy for the rest of the games life. I've seen it happen. I don't want to happen.

I doubt there will be an open beta, but there will be betas, we know that for sure.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Head starts are usually part of a crutch for a bad game to sell preorders. Here is to hoping this doesn't go that path. I wouldn't have a problem with an open beta if the game wiped at end of open beta and everyone started at the same time. I am sure there will be preorders but hoping that it doesn't come with a head start as well.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I doubt anybody is going to earn enough building skill and gold during the few days of headstart to take up all the housing slots. If offering headstart to people who buy at retail brings in more sales and earns the game more money, I'm all for it. I'd assume all founders who donated $25 and up would automatically get it too.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• boxfetishboxfetish Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Doesn't matter much to me. Due to real life I always am limited in my play time and quickly fall behind the high achievers so does it really matter?

Besides, what I'd like to see one day (but will never happen) is a game released without a beta, that way the game would launch with everyone at the same lack of knowledge level instead of having a group of players who have perfected their gameplay before many folks have had a chance to get into the game.

How about this?  If you do alpha or beta test, then you start 3 days late, to give those that have never seen or played the game before 3 days to learn the ropes.

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by meddyck
    I doubt anybody is going to earn enough building skill and gold during the few days of headstart to take up all the housing slots.

This.  If CSE is true to its call for "slow" progression (for RvR and crafting/building) then I think we do not have much to fear from a short headstart period. 

Note Founders will have advantages by knowing the landscape, mechanics and systems from alphas and betas anyway.  So, even if they "wipe" right previous to a shared launch, I think Founders will dominate for a short period.  This effect will be further diluted if there are other ways to earn or buy into betas.

I can go either way, but then I do not expect or care to top any leaderboards.  I don't need any of that to have fun.

I do respect the notion the Founders have the responsibility to support gameplay and rule sets that do not convey special advantages upon themselves.

• Don't care at all if there are headstarts or not. Why does it matter?
  • belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264

slow progression, horizontal progression. who cares? go for it.

• Originally posted by Raagnarz
    Head starts are usually part of a crutch for a bad game to sell preorders. Here is to hoping this doesn't go that path. I wouldn't have a problem with an open beta if the game wiped at end of open beta and everyone started at the same time. I am sure there will be preorders but hoping that it doesn't come with a head start as well.

I feel they have been mostly used to space people out so that the login servers and starter areas have a chance to cope on release day.

• Originally posted by Mkilbride

Don't like it in any MMORPG's, even if I'm part of one. In CU especially, since how the housing system will work, and the competitive nature of the game.

Be it 7 days, 3 days, or even 1 day, I don't want it. We should all start @ zero hour.

Doesn't matter to me honestly.  When people start only affects the amount of time played someone has had relative to you.  At some point, very early in the game, someone will have 1, 3, or 7 days played more than you.  Do you get upset that people have more time to play than you as well?  Should everyone stop playing just because you don't have as much time to login?

• Not to mention players joining the game weeks, months or years after launch.
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    I say give a one week head start and litter the map with traps and magic bombs. Everywhere. Always a good policy to start with mass ragequits.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would say you can pretty much expect it,developers have all been using gimmicks like that of late.

Money has been the number one root of all evil in games of late,the respect for the gamer has been tossed aside all because the developers are like chain stores they all copy each other's gimmicks.This takes away choice when all are doing it the same.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

As others have implied, head starts began because of limitations in a game's server tech. They couldn't handle large numbers at launch. CU's engine can but I imagine this will still be stressed at launch.

I have no idea how they wish to handle this but I certainly hope a head start is not the answer as the impact on land control and economy would be huge. Most know that it is the hardcore crowd who wants the earliest possible starting time and make the greatest progression in the shortest time. The original Darkfall suffered greatly from this as uber guilds who participated in beta quickly took over the primary cites, controlled the economy and all largely by exploits during times when most other players couldn't even buy the game!

I hope CU avoids many of these mistakes.

You stay sassy!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I would say you can pretty much expect it,developers have all been using gimmicks like that of late.

Money has been the number one root of all evil in games of late,the respect for the gamer has been tossed aside all because the developers are like chain stores they all copy each other's gimmicks.This takes away choice when all are doing it the same.

Not sure when you are going to catch on to the fact that MJ doesn't act the same way. Everything so far has been unconventional. I am sure he allow quite as many industry gimmick as you seem to expect. CSE most certainly isn't your normal large developer.

What ever MJ does I expect to at least hear the real reason behind it and not so much cloak and dagger as you would expect from EA or Activision.

You stay sassy!

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Headstarts don't really bother me.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Headstart is a great way to get people who is 50/50 about buying it thinking "Fuck it I get few days headstart now".

More money = better product the devs can make if we forget about Blizzard for a second.

Some dude having five days headstart can't really piss me off.

• OdamanOdaman Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Headstarts aren't a big deal, as others have said the chances of all the good property being taken are slim. I won't care if CU doesn't have one though. 
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I heard that from Alpha on there will be no character wipes...   ;)

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by p4ttythep3rf3ct
    I heard that from Alpha on there will be no character wipes...   ;)

/e leans in closer with eyes darting furtively side to side and whispers

Well... I heard  there is a super, special, double-secret, hidden Founder's Exchange item.

Achieve max level by hitting any key..... 5 FP