Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Down to Eight Million Subscribers

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Punk999
    As a game ages less people play it's just the way it is.

eve had most concurrent players this week, on its 10th aniversary.

Good, go play EVE.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    WOW is getting old and its easy to burn out on pretty fast when all they ever do is add new raids or new rep grinds for better gear over and over. There is an interesting post on the official forums about instead of next expansion adding more levels ,, adding in a AA system similar to eq2  and rift and stop adding new tiers of gear every 3 months when people are finally just getting some of the set pieces. A lot of people dislike ghostcrawlers ideas and opinion on what wow should be and why people play it and I think subs are declining because of the direction the game seems to be heading honestly. I really do not believe its all eastern players either , I think a lot of it has to do with his attitude towards the player base is stupid and doesn't know anything he knows . I see wow's numbers continuing to decline a lot sooner than later considering next patch , raiders are not getting anything new , one battleground is being added and 4 new scenarios which require a 480ilevel just to get in which half the population wont have so they wont be running any heroic scenarios . While wow allows access to a lot of content much faster than most games with raid finder and heroic dungeons scenarios etc , the gear grind gets really old after awhile and just needs to slow down on all these new tier sets. Hell just in raid finder a lone since MOP released you have 476 gear 483 gear and 502 gear why not just keep the gear 1 item level and let people work on sets for awhile and then have maybe have one item level increase halfway through the expansion.
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Rusque
    Originally posted by Punk999
    As a game ages less people play it's just the way it is.

eve had most concurrent players this week, on its 10th aniversary.

Good, go play EVE.

Eve is another beast where you can even make tons of money every month.

WoW is just a old themepark game.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• YazeedYazeed Member Posts: 29
    I think some of them gonna get back when new patch with intresting content come out

And about you jester

I did play b&s kr .. i wait b&s eu since long time but here what i can tell u .. b&s is cool specilly in compat system wich make me feel good when i fight a mob or pvp .. as comparing b&s with wow i would say pls stop cus they r diffrent than each other .. some of wow fan might be will not found there fun in b&s and also other who like b&s style will hate wow .. it is just 2 diffrent style with diffrent taste people :) .. atm i did play b&s kr but i always respect wow history and how they push nice update with good content cmparing with other games as aion .. tera etc.
  • danmax67danmax67 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I don't play WoW (another Eve player here), but seriously folks, do you evaluate whether or not you enjoy a game based upon the number of subscribers? Do you consider McDonald's fine dining because more people eat there than at Le Cirque?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Blizzard fabricated their 10+ mio around obscure chinese internetcafe tickets. While this math made the million "subs"-PR possible, it is also not possible to lose any of these accounts.

Hence i assume the loss of 1 million is related to the US and EU, which would show how much of a success the eastern panda addon was on the western market. Can't say we didn't saw that coming....

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    weeee...too many comments here..WoW will never die hah!
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by danmax67
    I don't play WoW (another Eve player here), but seriously folks, do you evaluate whether or not you enjoy a game based upon the number of subscribers? Do you consider McDonald's fine dining because more people eat there than at Le Cirque?

when a game loses 1.3 million in 3 months you begin to wonder 'what will my server be like in a few months' don't you ?

will it have an economy ? will I still have a guild ?

I don't need other people to enjoy my burger. I need other people to play an MMORPG. 

the rational people think in percentages.

So of the 1.3 million, lets say .3 million of those are from the west (the east is 100% irrelevant, L2 and Aion being hits over there prove the extreme differences)

Worst case scenario they were at 3 million before, so they lost 10%

That 10% is really a net loss over a year, because much of that 10% is the year long d3 packages.

lets say WoW is at 2.7m subs and continues to lose 10% a year for 5 years

5 years from now it would still have 1.6 million western subs, or 3x as much as anyone else

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Volgore

Blizzard fabricated their 10+ mio around obscure chinese internetcafe tickets. While this math made the million "subs"-PR possible, it is also not possible to lose any of these accounts.

Hence i assume the loss of 1 million is related to the US and EU, which would show how much of a success the eastern panda addon was on the western market. Can't say we didn't saw that coming....

Did they also fabricate the $334 million (1) in subscription revenue for the past 3 months?

(1) Subscription, licensing and other revenues represents revenues from World of Warcraft subscriptions, Call of Duty
    Elite memberships, licensing royalties from our products and franchises, value-added services, downloadable
    content, and other miscellaneous revenues.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by danmax67

when a game loses 1.3 million in 3 months you begin to wonder 'what will my server be like in a few months' don't you ?

will it have an economy ? will I still have a guild ?

I don't need other people to enjoy my burger. I need other people to play an MMORPG. 

It's the percentage that counts, not raw numbers. Other MMOs have far less population than WoW's recent loss but they have an economy. They're playable.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Since WoW only has EIGHT MILLION subs, it is a failed product that will die tomorrow. /Sarcasm.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It's inevitable that the crown will slip from World of Warcraft's head but who will pick it up and how much longer before it happens will be interesting to see.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    If my business lost millions of customers, I would be concerned. I doubt any serious business professional is skipping down the halls boasting about the 8 million customers that have not yet quit.
  • OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    I'm sure Blizz isn't happy about the loss but I'd guess they're pretty happy with that number after this many years. That being said I'm sure they want those players back.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by nilden
    It's inevitable that the crown will slip from World of Warcraft's head but who will pick it up and how much longer before it happens will be interesting to see.

This is likely 5 or 6 years out still before there is any chance of this happening.  Even if EQNext is as a big success it wont knock off WoW.  Titan is the only game with a shot, and we have no idea what it is

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I wonder if this is in large part due to the removal of Talent changes to a simplified version.  I know for me personally, the game is still fun but this one aspect of leveling feels horrible.  I no longer have a sense of getting reward every level or customizing my character with a talent tree build.  Granted, I know it ends up making a cookie cutter build almost a must have, but his heavy swing in the other direction where the leveling itself seems pointless, seems like overkill and a step in the wrong direction for the game.

That and the extreme focus on Raid or Die mechanics that even though Blizzard has recently stated in blue posts that they want to not have that stigma, I just don't see any actual evidence to prove it's going away from a Raid only endgame.  Not that Raids are bad, but sole focus and the flip flop from the leveling game to raiding endgame has always hurt WoW, IMO.

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

Eight million is still a lot of subs :/ But yeah Im sure the higher ups aren't too happy about the losses in the time span. 

WHen I look back at all the hours i put in WoW (yeah I admit it this game was my first MMO) throughout the years of Vanilla to MoP it was'n't really the gameplay but the interactions with people i met and the friend I made. Heck I even met my wife on there when my buddies all left the server we were on and i followed.  I never thought back then a game would let me chat with people from Singapore, New Zeland, and Australia all at once. 

Now those friends are gone and hte people Im left with are groups of people who I really can't connect with.  With LFR and dungeon finder, none of those are bad things and Im not bashing them, I really can't forge the bonds i used too. Worse the community and I as a whole seem to have more of a disconnect.  The second longest MMO i played was Age of Conan and despite the flaws the game had I again stuck around cus the people I met helped me notice the flaws less

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

I will say that I like everyone else out there enjoyed WoW for the first half of its time. Eventually directors changed and the game started going downhill. I think now a lot of the pvp changes and forcing more dailies down people's throat have caused many to exit.  

Also the raiding environment is different now with queuing for a raid group. I just think that the game has lost its touch. Anyways It was a great game when it first came out, and eventually game's change direction, mainly new game director that ruins it and it ends up in destruction. I will miss the old WoW I played long ago but I have quit 6 months ago. 

Mainly the game is in shambles, pvp is disastrous 1 class owns all , if you have been playing you would know it is the frost mage. Anyways the game has run it's course it's time to put it down for good. 

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    That much of a loss that quickly will certainly get the attention of the devs and the money men behind them, even if it doesn't mean the imminent demise of the game. It also shows that WoW is definitely on the back end of it's life cycle, again not a bad thing that omens death soon, but definitely something that Blizzard is going to be paying attention to. As many people have stated, there are several one time reasons for the dramatic drop, so I doubt there's panic, but a lot of people will be watching to see if the numbers stabilize or continue to slide at that rate.
  • mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    Well, looks like WoW isn't going to bring in the projected amount of revenue. Time for Activision to shutter all of Blizzard and pull the plug on the servers. /eyeroll

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by MajiinX
    I'm personally hoping the next x-pac is a burning legion themed expansion that leads into WoW 2 which I'm hoping thats what Titan is. 

Blizzard has already stated that Titan will not be part of any of their existing IP.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Well, WOW is maybe going down but rest of the games are already dead. And yes Titan will be some kind of wow mixture with awesome graphic . It will be set in time of Roman empire and Germanic tribes
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    8 million players after close to 10 years. Still amazing.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Well, WOW is maybe going down but rest of the games are already dead. And yes Titan will be some kind of wow mixture with awesome graphic . It will be set in time of Roman empire and Germanic tribes

Not even close image

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I got the box with a sticker on it saying up to 1 million others playing.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.