Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Button mashing in combat concern

ThreshThresh Member Posts: 52

So, there's no auto-attack.

From what I gather the combat mechanic looks like this:

You have to hit a button for each sword swing(Warrior case) or any other skill.

There's no GW2 like "auto-cast" your most basic skill (essentially making it auto-attack with a skill)

There's a 1.5sec GCD on every attack, so if you want to optimize your DPS you must begin intensely mashing a button at about 1.4sec mark so that your next attack comes in at exact time when your GCD is up, as opposed to say 1.6sec after your last action - otherwise you're wasting DPS.

Anyone who played it at PAX or similar, care to comment ?

Comments

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Go play DCUO and feel what button mashing is all about. 

Possibly a poor analogy but for me it was awful. I don't think WS will be any more fast fingers that GW2.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Thresh

So, there's no auto-attack.

From what I gather the combat mechanic looks like this:

You have to hit a button for each sword swing(Warrior case) or any other skill.

There's no GW2 like "auto-cast" your most basic skill (essentially making it auto-attack with a skill)

There's a 1.5sec GCD on every attack, so if you want to optimize your DPS you must begin intensely mashing a button at about 1.4sec mark so that your next attack comes in at exact time when your GCD is up, as opposed to say 1.6sec after your last action - otherwise you're wasting DPS.

Anyone who played it at PAX or similar, care to comment ?

Actually in the latest patch notes they released they said they re-implemented Autoattack.  Now they can always remove it again if it doesn't flow well with their combat system, but from the gameplay it doesn't look "button mashy".  You have to aim all of your skills with the telegraph system and are constantly moving out of enemy telegraphs, so I don't think button mashing would be optimal to survival.

But I don't really know anything since I haven't played it yet.  Just theories.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Leethe

Go play DCUO and feel what button mashing is all about. 

Possibly a poor analogy but for me it was awful. I don't think WS will be any more fast fingers that GW2.

button mashing would imply 'mindlessness' 

dcuo requires you to press buttons in a sequnce to execute a move, like the old 2d fighting games. mindlessly mashing got you nowhere.

just about any game that only rquires one button press per ability (along with global cooldown) will have some element of 'button mashing'. hopefully though the encounters have enough going on to where you are rarely just sitting in one spot mashing a button or two.