Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: Isaiah Cartwright on 'The Secret of Southsun'

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet announced yesterday that the next installment in the Guild Wars 2 living story was in the works with the first installment of The Secret of Southsun coming next week. We cornered Isaiah Cartwright to find out more. See what he had to say and then head to the comments to join the discussion.

To start out, we asked Isaiah why Southsun, why now? He explained that Southsun had a nice splash back in November but then got quiet. The team really enjoyed working on the zone and this was a chance to go back and build something new for players. The update gave the devs a reason to work on the refugee storyline and add some lore about the Consortium. Basically players will follow along the story that the refugees have come to SouthSun to look for work and the Consortium has put them to task. However, there is more than meets the eye and the players will meet a new NPC named Kiel who is looking out for the refugees best interest. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Guild Wars 2: Isaiah Cartwright on 'The Secret of Southsun'.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

good choice for zone.

i wish they will add more side missions to help those that are there-i recall many forts being torn down due to the invasion.

those were fun!

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    I'm happy to see this zone get some love. It was beautifully done. I'm excited to see some pirate themed activities too!
  • WarDekarWarDekar Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Glad to see the game continue to grow. Enjoyed the F&F immensely. Looking forward to heading back to Southsun. New armor skins would be nice.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Another update to look forward to :)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I'm looking forward to this as well.  I hope the beginning isn't as drawn out like the previous Living Story.  I loved the ending. Although I am not a fan of GW2's dungeons (due to their combat mechanics) and thought there should have been another option for people to see the conclusion without running one, I give kudos to the team for pumping out solid content.

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Can't believe how much work Anet is putting into this game.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

~" He explained that Southsun had a nice splash back in November but then got quiet" that happened for two major reasons.

~Their economy-nazi decided to nerf loot again. So T6 mats disappeared. Not worth the fight if you take away the rewards. "Wait! Wait! they're actually getting some T6 mats! We gotta change that, nerf it again!" ~ Economy-Nazi

~And they never followed thru on their plan to make it a new event hub. Yeah I swear whoever is doing the management of the content to be put into the game has some serious ADHD problems because one minute it's "this is our plan" the next it's "no wait we decided this is our plan completely unrelated to before"

~Now if they'd actually spend some time reading the forums, they'd might realize just what they REALLY need to work on to keep people from complaining.

~I also find it hilarious that people actually think this is solid content. HA! Hardly! It's like Blizzard in between the last patch of their expansion season and when their new patch is coming out, just a couple of minor quickly done experiences in game to keep the lore "alive" just long enough to cash in on the new expansion pack. Hardly as solid as they made it sound they would make it prelaunch with the promise of new metas and new DE's every month. (permanent ones)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by itgrowls

~Now if they'd actually spend some time reading the forums, they'd might realize just what they REALLY need to work on to keep people from complaining.

Humanity's first forum without complaints? I don't think even ANet can create something that revolutionary.

• JetsetBlackoutJetsetBlackout Member UncommonPosts: 7

I enjoyed F&F a ton.  One of the better patches they've had in the game.  The MF dungeon recently added as well was tons of fun.  I hope they continue along with that storyline as well as starting the Secrit in Southsun Cove.  (Does anyone know if the F&F will continue on?  I know the MF dungeon kinda leads you on at the end saying there are other facilities like the one the player goes through, and more people needing rescuing.)

And to be honest, I got burnt out quick on the game when it first came out, but now with all these content....its getting better and better and I want to log in more and more.

Kudos to ANET! Can't wait for the next additions.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by JetsetBlackout

s of fun.  I hope they continue along with that storyline as well as starting the Secrit in Southsun Cove.  (Does anyone know if the F&F will continue on?

There's no official word, but they're hinted at a continuation. This storyline may be it, actually, because the refugees are from F&F.