Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Review In Progress #3

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Keep up the good work George , it's good to see someone with no experience in this game because it gives players like myself insight as what to expect in game.

Not interested in the game to be honest, paying to get ganked when leaving a safe zone is not my idea of fun, for the fact that some players have played longer than others.

Games like these never generate a lot of profit because of these mechanics and in turn hurts creating a pvp sandbox game.

I like the idea of full loot pvp and what not, but getting ganked when leaving a safe zone with little to no chance in defending yourself isn't my idea of fair, unless you join a clan, but even at that is daunting to new players.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by kinido
    Yeah .. this review isn't even a review.

You're absolutely right.  That's next week.  

Well you better really sink your teeth into it otherwise you're just going to piss a lot of people off.  Get out of the safe zone, bind to a chaos stone.  Try to get an agreement with the other people there to not kill you and maybe even group up.  Go out and explore from that point.  Be more aware of your surroundings and be more careful.  This review reads like you are paralyzed by fear of getting killed.  Embrace it.  Bank early and bank often. 

There's not much to sink your teeth into.  The experience at the beginning is the same two months in.   You gather stuff, you craft some stuff, you die from getting ambushed, hopefully you kills some by ambushing, rinse and repeat.

The reason I canceled the game is because it's boring, unless all of your thrills can be obtained through pvp.  For me pvp is a gameplay element I enjoy, but it's not a whole game.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by kinido
    Yeah .. this review isn't even a review.

You're absolutely right.  That's next week.  

Well you better really sink your teeth into it otherwise you're just going to piss a lot of people off.  Get out of the safe zone, bind to a chaos stone.  Try to get an agreement with the other people there to not kill you and maybe even group up.  Go out and explore from that point.  Be more aware of your surroundings and be more careful.  This review reads like you are paralyzed by fear of getting killed.  Embrace it.  Bank early and bank often. 

There's not much to sink your teeth into.  The experience at the beginning is the same two months in.   You gather stuff, you craft some stuff, you die from getting ambushed, hopefully you kills some by ambushing, rinse and repeat.

The reason I canceled the game is because it's boring, unless all of your thrills can be obtained through pvp.  For me pvp is a gameplay element I enjoy, but it's not a whole game.

But it is the pvp that spices everything up.  You don't know what will happen around the next bend and it is this element that makes the PVE exciting.   Our clan was controlling three nearby spawn points the other night.  About four times one of the three groups was getting attacked from an equal sized group and the people from the other spawns were able to rush out to help defend our guys.  It's a perfect blend of PVP and PVE.  I get a big rush out of that and have a lot of fun.  Where is the fun in having no risk?  How is it fun going from instance to instance?  Not many games offer what Darkfall does.  So it's important to embrace Darkfall for what it is, not what it's not.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by blutigfaust
    while it may be hardcore open world, I'd hardly call it a sandbox

Then what would you call it? "hardcore open world" is not an MMO classification, more like a description of some of its attributes.

And the game is definitely not a ThemePark, so I would call it a sandbox. Albeit one with not so many tools to create a proper sandbox experience. Still it is obviously designed, and plays, like a sandbox MMO.

• Arc_XArc_X Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Yea bill. Know I'm beating a dead horse here but it really needs an exceptionally good beating. This pre-review is far subpar. I would say to get an accurate actual review of this game your man will need to have experienced some clan play and be in the 20k prowess ballpark. Anything sub that would be like reviewing a themepark before you have even left the starter zone to be honest. The reviews here can have quite the impact on the game and future players who try it out. I hope this is being well thought out. My 2 cents.
  • NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Crafted armor and died

/end

Maybe some one who likes pvp and get's more than 2 hours worth of prowess in 20 hours should do the review. 

The whole game is about the excitement from PvP and if you lose some armor YOU CRAFT NEW ARMOR UNTIL YOU WIN.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

see, i've played 23 hours (according to steam) and i have 3.5k and have done little else but grind out pve feats. where are people getting these ungodly amounts of prowess from?

EDIT: i have to agree though. these reviews in progress are very much subpar, imo. the reviewer doesn't actually seem to be engaging with the game much outside of time spent. on the other hand though, it closely resembles my experience with the game, except replace "crafting" with "more pve grinding and an hour or two of exploration/travel"

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    This would be like lvl 10 in WoW, so i truly hope there is more. Get some large pvp going!

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by atticusbc

see, i've played 23 hours (according to steam) and i have 3.5k and have done little else but grind out pve feats. where are people getting these ungodly amounts of prowess from?

EDIT: i have to agree though. these reviews in progress are very much subpar, imo. the reviewer doesn't actually seem to be engaging with the game much outside of time spent. on the other hand though, it closely resembles my experience with the game, except replace "crafting" with "more pve grinding and an hour or two of exploration/travel"

Get a group, go do some of the harder feats for pve. Skin everything you kill.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

done, working on it, and done. honestly i think they need to be a bit more free with prowess outside of feats, and that being in a group shouldn't halve the amount of prowess you get from kills.

EDIT: oh yeah and success rates should be bumped up a bit. honestly, if you want to have a pvp centric game that requires pve to get into the pvp, you should minimize the amount of time required by the pve. y'know. the thing your game isn't really about.

Originally posted by Chrisbox

done, working on it, and done. honestly i think they need to be a bit more free with prowess outside of feats, and that being in a group shouldn't halve the amount of prowess you get from kills.

EDIT: oh yeah and success rates should be bumped up a bit. honestly, if you want to have a pvp centric game that requires pve to get into the pvp, you should minimize the amount of time required by the pve. y'know. the thing your game isn't really about.

Yea theres no way to really have polished pve in this game anyway you slice it, but in the end its all about the seiges and community.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by atticusbc

see, i've played 23 hours (according to steam) and i have 3.5k and have done little else but grind out pve feats. where are people getting these ungodly amounts of prowess from?

Kill swamp hags and skin them to get 5k in a matter of hours. Ogre Bullies are just as good.

You  also get a lot of prowess from doing gathering feats. Mining gives a few feats, logging, herbs etc.. 

Started a second character during the weekend and now has 18k prowess. 

I also want to add that I play solo and don't live in the safezone but at chaos stones, and have been doing this from the moment I finished the tutorial. 

So no clan backing.. All about making friends with fellow nomads and killing the players who don't want to be my friend.

• redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88

Why is this guy still aloud to write a review for a game he barely playing?

• melenonemelenone Member Posts: 25

i would say stay away from the game but they cant even market it on the internet.

try it out and then decide is my op.lmao scarlet blade is garbage and it is garbage.all over this site .nexeon and aria paying for that sht  ow well.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Lol at everyone telling a reviewer his review is wrong because he isn't playing it the way you play. There are lots of different types of gamers, he is one, so his review is as valid as someone who had played for 6 months. Also "Review In Progress"

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Originally posted by Mkilbride
    Lol at everyone telling a reviewer his review is wrong because he isn't playing it the way you play. There are lots of different types of gamers, he is one, so his review is as valid as someone who had played for 6 months. Also "Review In Progress"

Yes there are different types of gamers and that's exactly why I shouldn't do a review for WoW and he shouldn't do a review for Darkfall.

Darkfall is about risk in a harsh world, hes about bending over at the sight of a player.

Get a clue.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Naowut

Yes there are different types of gamers and that's exactly why I shouldn't do a review for WoW and he shouldn't do a review for Darkfall.

Darkfall is about risk in a harsh world, hes about bending over at the sight of a player.

Get a clue.

Actually his play is far more typical of play in games like this than what you are thinking, which is exactly why a veteran Darkfall player should not be doing this review.  

It is a big step going from many of these themepark MMO's to game like Darkfall.  Hardcore Darkfall players are few and far between.  For Darkfall to be successful, it is going to have to pull casual players looking for more of a challenge.  So that is exactly why this person is a good choice, they have the right perspective.  

Like I said before, the reviewer needs to realize that the solo play they are used to in a themepark works does not work well in a game like Darkfall. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Uzik

Also, why in the WORLD wouldn't they just have Ripper X review this? 

After 2 weeks you've only just now left the safezone... You've only experienced like 1% of what the game has to offer.

Ripper, love the man, but he's a bit biased when it comes to Darkfall.  I recruited George to do the review, because he's fresh into the game and hasn't played the betas or been rabid about the original.  

That's exactly what i was going to say.. Good choice.. but i think he needs to put a bit more time into it.

Also to get a lot of prowess point.. get into a guild and go on a fishing trip.. sit semi afk fishing on the boat while playing another game.. job done loads of prowess points.. or just afk chopping wood while playing another game probally the safest option..

AV broke the game by adding safe zones and allowing people to skill up in them and craft in them.. they should have restricted the amount you can lvl in safe zones and they should have limited the crafting to only basic items... now there is no need to ever leave the safe zones until you have maxed your character out, Sure its the boring way of doing it but its what most people will end up doing.

If Ripper X did the review, he would be praising Darkfall as the one, true MMORPG.

And so what if his preferred game type isn't Darkfall? He's doing a review - he's putting the time in. His review is authentic versus someone who plays the game hardcore, has followed it for years, DF1, ect, and plays like 60 hours a week.

Sometimes it is good to get the perspective of someone who does not think like you, on something. It opens up new avenues and new ideas, things you didn't see before with your bias.

That is why, for Darkfall, this is the perfect reviewer.

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782

After 2 weeks you've only just now left the safezone... You've only experienced like 1% of what the game has to offer.

Ripper, love the man, but he's a bit biased when it comes to Darkfall.  I recruited George to do the review, because he's fresh into the game and hasn't played the betas or been rabid about the original.  

That's all nice and dandy, but I've more or less given up on other reviewers then yourself, when the guy you hired to review Mortal Online clearly never even left the starting town of Tindrem, and never even tried crafting or tested how it was to be in a clan etc.

This guy you have testing DFUW only have 2k prowess from 20 hours of playing? Jfc. I think I get more if I log in and just stand still. That's more or less how bad 2k prowess are from 20 hours of gaming is in my eyes. Your hired reviewers need to dig deeper to the games, and with DFUW, pray to GOD that they aren't playing when all these rollbaks are happening.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I recommend that the reviewer join the biggest clan possible.

In this way, the reviewer is more likely to experience the full range of things that the game has to offer.

In addition, weight of numbers should mean that it won't matter that the reviewer only has 2k prowess points (because you'll be zerging the enemy).

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by Caldrin

That's exactly what i was going to say.. Good choice.. but i think he needs to put a bit more time into it.

Also to get a lot of prowess point.. get into a guild and go on a fishing trip.. sit semi afk fishing on the boat while playing another game.. job done loads of prowess points.. or just afk chopping wood while playing another game probally the safest option..

AV broke the game by adding safe zones and allowing people to skill up in them and craft in them.. they should have restricted the amount you can lvl in safe zones and they should have limited the crafting to only basic items... now there is no need to ever leave the safe zones until you have maxed your character out, Sure its the boring way of doing it but its what most people will end up doing.

I disagree - the safe zones are required until people feel comfortable enough to leave the safe zone. Otherwise, there would be lots of rage-and-quit threads on the forums. 

The safe zones protect new and weak players from getting repeatedly griefed and ganked.

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

Thanks for the review. IT saves me time and funds. Keep up the good job MMORPG. More reviews and re-reviews, please.

Yeah, it was a good review. The best way to review this game though, is to go to their forums and watch at how it is universally hated by their own players.

Says alot about a game when you see "This game sucks!" as a thread, find it not closed, and people agreeing. I've never seen that on a Official forum for a game before.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

If Ripper X did the review, he would be praising Darkfall as the one, true MMORPG.

And so what if his preferred game type isn't Darkfall? He's doing a review - he's putting the time in. His review is authentic versus someone who plays the game hardcore, has followed it for years, DF1, ect, and plays like 60 hours a week.

Sometimes it is good to get the perspective of someone who does not think like you, on something. It opens up new avenues and new ideas, things you didn't see before with your bias.

That is why, for Darkfall, this is the perfect reviewer.

Spot on he is doing the review from the perspective of a person who has NEVER played the game.  And if you never have played the game this is what one should expect - the tutorial is barely a tutorial and does not give info on the deeper aspects of the game.  So a new person is stuck with trying to figure it out on their own with a crappy UI and other stuff.

For a brand new player he is 100% spot on with the review thus far.  The people complaining here are Vets and already played the first game and since this game has not changed much already know their way around this game.  Newsflash - this guy has never played the game and hopefully his review will point out to AV how unfriendly the game is to new players.  It is nowhere close to a good experience in teaching a new player like other MMO's and AV needs to see that.