Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Down to Eight Million Subscribers

Comments

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Obviously this means Neverwinter is the WoW killer.

lmao

• RettieRettie Member Posts: 8
    Considering the games age, this is a good number of subscribers. :)
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2013/may/slide01.jpg

wonder if the last item in the blizzard box and first item in investment box are related?

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by fariah033
    I was on one of the worst servers sooo dead !!! After 5 years on the same server it was hard to transfer so I just quit :)

Yeah, i think this is hurting them.  80% of the servers are quite healthy, but that 20% (and some of those PvP servers have never seen medium pop in their 7 year existence) is starting to give up.  theyve talked and talked about trying to fix it, and CRZ was a decent idea on paper I guess, but why dont they just merge?  Makes no sense.

they tried to merge but moronic oafs on those servers refused merger as it will "hurt their server pride". people like them really pisses me off.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Originally posted by Sulaa
    kind of staggering that they have over 1 billion in deferred revenue.  Last year was 1.6 billion, but that was due Im sure to the d3 bundle.  those have all expired by now and its still huge.

People leave the game => more servers get dead => Blizzard never do any merges => people pay for transfers = whenever it's rising or falling sub wise it's generating revenue.

deferred revenue has nothing to do with transfers, that goes into cash.  deferred revenue is subscription time that hasnt been used up.  Most likely current months sub revenue + multi month subs.  Im not one of their accouttants so I don't really know for sure the complete makeup of that account, but by definition instant account transfers can't be deferred revenue.

Yeah, sorry I ve read it wrong. You're right

• fariah033fariah033 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I have 4 level 90s and 3 85s yes I quit instead of paying that much to transfer all my toons. Im bored with warcraft and so bored without it lol. I cant win!!
  • ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    Why you need sever merge? Because of the server swarm it has never been easier to do dungeon runs, even at low level it takes 5-10 min queue
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Oh and the sub is 8.3 million, not 8 million. Sure it's splitting hairs, but I can think of MANY MMOs who would LOVE to have that 300,000 subscriber split hair...
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Not surprising at all. Especially with such stiff competition in the East. Kinda helps also when the Chinese government is actively trying to phase out western influence. Google, Microsoft, Apple you name it. They'd rather have their own home-based gaming company they can regulate and leech off of than bow to any outsiders who are popular with such a huge internal market. Keep an eye on Chinese developers in the future. Their government didn't get to the point of being a economic superpower by ignoring emerging markets.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Of the 8 million I would wager only about 2-3 million are US and EU but of course we'll never know.  Buddy of mine I work with says his server is a ghost town.

of the 8.3 million i would say that about 5-6 are US and EU and my server (Burning Legion - EU) is almost all day high.

so you can see every1 can see it as he wants. the only real thing is that with 8.3m subs even after 10 years, they have 15 times more subs than the second one (0.5m swtor or eve).

don't fool yourselves (i know this is not a good thing because i m waiting something new from blizzard) 8.3m subs after 10 years unfortunately are way too many

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Manolios
    Of the 8 million I would wager only about 2-3 million are US and EU but of course we'll never know.  Buddy of mine I work with says his server is a ghost town.

of the 8.3 million i would say that about 5-6 are US and EU and my server (Burning Legion - EU) is almost all day high.

so you can see every1 can see it as he wants. the only real thing is that with 8.3m subs even after 10 years, they have 15 times more subs than the second one (0.5m swtor or eve).

don't fool yourselves and i know this is not a good thing because i m waiting something new from blizzard, 8.3m subs after 10 years unfortunately are way too many

Calling them all subs is a misnomer in the first place considering Chinese players don't pay a monthly subscription at all, for example. There is no reliable $15 a month from 8 million subscribers there.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by itchmon
    Here comes titan....

I hope it doesn't get too rushed, I wonder if bliz will do what they've never done and release something early because of financial pressure.

Project Titan is a myth started by players using Screenshots from Tabula Rasa. Blizzard has already stated what their next project is and that is Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. So please ditch any idea you had of Project Titan being the next project.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

5 years ago, when WOW had better numbers of 10 million

the US/EU portion was 4.5m

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/01/22/world-of-warcraft-hits-10-million-subscribers/

Asia is the biggest market at the moment, with more than 5.5 million players, as compared to North America's 2.5 million and 2 million subscribers in Europe.

doubt out of 8.3m WOW  has 5-6m for US/EU

don't fool yourselves and i know this is not a good thing because i m waiting something new from blizzard, 8.3m subs after 10 years unfortunately are way too many

I thought it was generally accepted that somewhere around 5 mill was peak US/EU.  i think its unlikely its fallen under 3, there are just too many active servers.

I wonder how much of the western sub drop is due to expiration of the D3 packages.  Basically they arent only getting this quarters cancelations, but people that were done the last two quarters but were locked in.  

Originally posted by akiira69
    Here comes titan....

I hope it doesn't get too rushed, I wonder if bliz will do what they've never done and release something early because of financial pressure.

Project Titan is a myth started by players using Screenshots from Tabula Rasa. Blizzard has already stated what their next project is and that is Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. So please ditch any idea you had of Project Titan being the next project.

this is where the 'myth' comes from

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/11/30/is-this-blizzard-s-release-schedule-for-the-next-four-years.aspx

The conference call has confirmed a) Blizzard has a new MMO in the works and

b) it wont be out in 2013.

Even if that chart was false, there still is 'a' project titan, even if it isnt 'the' project titan

• WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Good. Maybe Blizzard will take some chances with WoW, now that they see so many people (like myself) refuse to continue playing it as long as it's just more of the same. I'll check out their next X-pack announcement to see if appeals to me. I suspect they'll just keep dumbing the game down even more though.
  • UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    How many of the 8million are real players? Not bots or gold farmers.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by WhySoSerious
    Good. Maybe Blizzard will take some chances with WoW, now that they see so many people (like myself) refuse to continue playing it as long as it's just more of the same. I'll check out their next X-pack announcement to see if appeals to me. I suspect they'll just keep dumbing the game down even more though.

You know what's funny, I see a lot of comments like yours...and I also see a lot of comment saying "I wish WoW was like it was in Vanilla WoW"...which group is right? Both? Neither?

The point is, Blizzard did take calculated chances and make, in their opinion, necessary changes. But people refuse to acknowledge this.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

That is still an incredible amount of money,wonder where all that cash goes?What is that like 100 million a month in sub fees?Geesh Blizzard could license a MUCH better game engine and still come away with highway robbery.They could actually hire 3-5 guys to re texture the entire game with better quality textures and still be highway robbery.

I guess Vivendi takes most of that cash and Activision is also a pie plucker now as well.

The really odd thing is Vivendi was again trying  to sell their shares in the game division,but nobody wants it,price was way too high.If they bring in 100 mil a month,that is like what over a billion a year?What the heck ,why wouldn't anyone buy Blizzard?

My guess is they waste a LOT of money.Their games are definitely not cost worthy,NONE of them.Wonder what kind of salaries and bonuses they give themselves.Better yet why would Vivendi want out or do they,maybe just seeing if anyone is dumb enough to give their asking price?

I am pretty sure every developer out there would call 1 million a success and be throwing parties in the Bahamas.They are stil la long way away from crying poor house.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lordmasklordmask Member Posts: 1
    Doom, doom I say. Doooommm!!!
  • SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Here comes titan....

not sure if troll, stupid or just living under rock, titan was announced by blizzard itself, there was no fake game created by fans, its new ip and different targeted market from wow, about every blizzard roadmap includes " unannounced mmorpg "

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Lol the hate for this game to this day is still amazing.

I recently started my ten day free cata trial (lol).  I was unable to be SoR by a friend still playing for using the ten day trial.  I put in a petition, and they said no worries! They made a character of mine 80 and gave me Cata free.  They sure didn't have to do that, but they did and did so very easily.  After the terrible CS experience I had with TOR, looks like I'm back to playing WoW after like 4 years.

But, my server, Azgalor, had always been a medium server.  Now we are a low server.  during non peak hours, I see maybe 30 90s on at one time.  Alliance side.  I know horde has more, but good lord.  This server is BARREN.

Blizzard will almost never merge servers because of paid server transfers / faction changes.  Looking at how empty our server is and then remember that there are like 20 servers with WAY LESS population is just crazy.  They could just combine those 20 servers into two. Boom.

Also, Azgalor is an original server from release.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Pandas and Pandaria killed the little bit that was left in the game.

Only people enjoying the pure coop mechanics (raiding) are still in game, which is surprisingly still a lot of people.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by strangiato2112 but why dont they just merge?  Makes no sense.

Merging is bad press, that if anything gets the doomsayers on the move, so they will avoid merging for as long as possible and try to come up with other solutions to hide the unhealthy state of many servers.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Wizardry

That is still an incredible amount of money,wonder where all that cash goes?What is that like 100 million a month in sub fees?Geesh Blizzard could license a MUCH better game engine and still come away with highway robbery.They could actually hire 3-5 guys to re texture the entire game with better quality textures and still be highway robbery.

I guess Vivendi takes most of that cash and Activision is also a pie plucker now as well.

The really odd thing is Vivendi was again trying  to sell their shares in the game division,but nobody wants it,price was way too high.If they bring in 100 mil a month,that is like what over a billion a year?What the heck ,why wouldn't anyone buy Blizzard?

My guess is they waste a LOT of money.Their games are definitely not cost worthy,NONE of them.Wonder what kind of salaries and bonuses they give themselves.Better yet why would Vivendi want out or do they,maybe just seeing if anyone is dumb enough to give their asking price?

I am pretty sure every developer out there would call 1 million a success and be throwing parties in the Bahamas.They are stil la long way away from crying poor house.

gaming is expensive so are programmers and developers, you should look into starting salaries for those in US, and average ones, i imagine most get between 80-120k a year, and seniors get probably 500k+ directors gets millions, year or two ago there was actually Kotics payslip or some sort of thing for everyone to see, pretty sure he had like 10+ mln in a year, bonuses being 80% of it , then there is all expensive hardware and servers, considering that out of those 8.3mln at best 5 mln are west, and rest east and those pay about 5$ instead of 15$

and when you sum all those and humongous team they have it aint all that much, they wouldnt licence a new engine, they would create one

pretty much all best rts engines were created by blizzard, best mmorpg engine at  its time created by blizzard, for all we know titans engine is incredible

anyway people overestimate how much gaming companies actually make, considering how many close down, or how many companies losing money after huge game sells, because with 4 + mln sales they wont make even for a game , square enix anyone? http://www.shacknews.com/article/78394/square-enix-restructuring-as-huge-losses-forecast