Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Down to Eight Million Subscribers

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the first quarter financial report for Activision-Blizzard, CEO Bobby Kotick announced that World of Warcraft is still the number one subscription-based MMO in the world with over eight million subscribers. This is down significantly from past years when the number of subscribers was over the ten million mark.

Kotick added, “ While we have had a solid start to the year , we now believe that the risks and uncertainties in the back half of 2013 are more challenging than our earlier view, especially in the holiday quarter . The shift in release dates of competing products, the disappointing launch of the Wii U ™ , uncertainties regarding next - generati on hardware, and subscriber declines in our World of Warcraft business all raise concerns, as do continued challenges in the global economy . For these reasons, we remain cautious. However, our focused and disciplined approach to our business has served u s well in the past, and through continued investment and careful management of our costs, we expect to continue delivering shareholder value over the long term as we have for the last 20 years.”

Read the Activision-Blizzard press release.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    The report is that the loss of subs is almost all eastern again.  Would be curious to see the western sub trends overall.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    One day... one day.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    They probably lost those subs to Scarlet Blade :P lol.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Here comes titan....

I hope it doesn't get too rushed, I wonder if bliz will do what they've never done and release something early because of financial pressure.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    1.3 mln loss in one quarter if I am reading this right.  Ouch!
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    what kind of idiot in china or korea would play WoW when they have BnS? I am WoW fan boy but honestly BnS has more to offer than WoW and i don't see why people will continue to play WoW in eastern market. teh decline in eastern market is no doubt due to BnS. good for them and i think it is wake up call for WoW too, entire year kept suggesting to improve visual quality of characters/npc/mosnters, keep the cartoony look but improve it and make it look more real like pixar or disney animated cartoons. but no they don't want to, even though ghostcrawler admitted that current game engine is capable of miraculous graphical changes they are not going to do that because people are happy the way they are now. moronic fanboys and their blind money sinking really pisses me off.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• MajiinXMajiinX Member CommonPosts: 89
    I'm personally hoping the next x-pac is a burning legion themed expansion that leads into WoW 2 which I'm hoping thats what Titan is. 
    kind of staggering that they have over 1 billion in deferred revenue.  Last year was 1.6 billion, but that was due Im sure to the d3 bundle.  those have all expired by now and its still huge.
  • fariah033fariah033 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I know I just quit about 3 months ago after 5 years straight of paying . :)
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I just cancelled my sub yesterday, pretty bored of the game. I'll probably be back at some point though.

Anyways... it's dying! image

• gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84

oh boo hoo theyre down to 8m subs...not like theyll go hungry or jaz like that =P

Originally posted by jusomdude

I just cancelled my sub yesterday, pretty bored of the game. I'll probably be back at some point though.

Anyways... it's dying! image

yup, at this rate EvE will be the #1 sub MMORPG by 2031

• fariah033fariah033 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I was on one of the worst servers sooo dead !!! After 5 years on the same server it was hard to transfer so I just quit :)
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    kind of staggering that they have over 1 billion in deferred revenue.  Last year was 1.6 billion, but that was due Im sure to the d3 bundle.  those have all expired by now and its still huge.

People leave the game => more servers get dead => Blizzard never do any merges => people pay for transfers = whenever it's rising or falling sub wise it's generating revenue.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
     It's about freakin' time, WoW has been jumpin' sharks since Burning Crusade. It is a miracle, created by their incompetent competition, that the game is still alive. Hopefully this will get titan launched , so I can enjoy one more decent MMORPG before I's too late.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by fariah033
    I was on one of the worst servers sooo dead !!! After 5 years on the same server it was hard to transfer so I just quit :)

That makes no sense at all. You couldn't stand the emotional torment you'd suffer for transferring servers and instead decided that no game is better.... You know you're not playing on your fav server anymore either way right?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by fariah033

Yeah, i think this is hurting them.  80% of the servers are quite healthy, but that 20% (and some of those PvP servers have never seen medium pop in their 7 year existence) is starting to give up.  theyve talked and talked about trying to fix it, and CRZ was a decent idea on paper I guess, but why dont they just merge?  Makes no sense.

Originally posted by Sulaa
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

People leave the game => more servers get dead => Blizzard never do any merges => people pay for transfers = whenever it's rising or falling sub wise it's generating revenue.

deferred revenue has nothing to do with transfers, that goes into cash.  deferred revenue is subscription time that hasnt been used up.  Most likely current months sub revenue + multi month subs.  Im not one of their accouttants so I don't really know for sure the complete makeup of that account, but by definition instant account transfers can't be deferred revenue.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Only 8 million? Damn that's awful!

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    8.000.000 hmmm i guess they may have to cut food...after 10 years, this number is beyond their wildest dreams and they will not produce any new mmo game (e.g. titan) before wow drops at least to 1-2m subs. so 8m subs after 10 years, unfortunately for who ever waits a new mmo from blizz, is still a huge number
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Obviously this means Neverwinter is the WoW killer.

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222
    tic toc tic toc .. time's catching up blizzzaardd, might' do them good to start picking that 'titan' blueprint u left in the dust
    Originally posted by Manolios
    8.000.000 hmmm i guess they may have to cut food...after 10 years, this number is beyond their wildest dreams and they will not produce any new mmo game (e.g. titan) before wow drops at least to 1-2m subs. so 8m subs after 10 years, unfortunately for who ever waits a new mmo from blizz, is still a huge number

Of course they will produce a new MMO.  It just wont be a WoW clone.  Go after a different player base.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Obviously this means Neverwinter is the WoW killer.

Actually....it was the CU Kickstarter campaign...

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Of the 8 million I would wager only about 2-3 million are US and EU but of course we'll never know.  Buddy of mine I work with says his server is a ghost town.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!