Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

another success of the F2P model?

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/7/4309866/star-wars-the-old-republic-revenue-doubled-free-to-play

"Monthly average revenue for Star Wars: The Old Republic, BioWare's massively multiplayer online role-playing game, has more than doubled and subscriptions have increased since adopting the free-to-play model last year, Electronic Arts president of labels Frank Gibeau revealed in an earning's call today."

""And the number of subscriptions has stabilized at just under half a million."

So a failed theme-park has the same sub numbers as the most successful sandbox (eve), many more active players, and on top they get cash shop money?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Free to play with subscriptions? I'm confused. (Haven't paid attention to SWToR at all.)

Oderint, dum metuant.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Nah thanks .. success? Ask them if they would rather have 2M sub players .. I think they would. Sadly the game was not that good to maintan p2p status.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Man, you are busy today.

I would say keeping the same number of subscribers they had before the F2P transition and increasing the total number of players and also increasing the total revenues is definitely a "win".

SWToR is F2P, but has the option of having a subscription that gets you "everything". The difference between the pre and post F2P subscription is that the post F2P subscription gets you cash shop money that you can use in the cash shop to buy anything you want. If you don't spend it every month, you can buy expansions to the game as well.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Nah thanks .. success? Ask them if they would rather have 2M sub players .. I think they would. Sadly the game was not that good to maintan p2p status.

No .. it is a failure. Just a failure that has the same amount of subs as the biggest sandbox "success". I wonder where this double standard comes from.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Man, you are busy today.

I would say keeping the same number of subscribers they had before the F2P transition and increasing the total number of players and also increasing the total revenues is definitely a "win".

Slow work day? Waiting for my algorithm to crunch.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

No .. it is a failure. Just a failure that has the same amount of subs as the biggest sandbox "success". I wonder where this double standard comes from.

If they spent 10x more money developing swtor than developing EVE It also should have 10x more players playing it (or profit) ;)

You have a lot of things to learn about business i guess :P

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    nty. except TERA all the other f2p models  just sucks big time. i ll stick to sub for my main mmo
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

If they spent 10x more money developing swtor than developing EVE It also should have 10x more players playing it ;)

You have a lot of things to learn about business i guess

big assumption.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

If they spent 10x more money developing swtor than developing EVE It also should have 10x more players playing it ;)

big assumption.

assumption ? In the numbers or theory? .. If in the numbers, well everyone knows that swtor had the biggest mmorpg budget yet and if in the theory .. that is not assumption, thats the truth.

big assumption.

yeah why should it? I doubt they spend 20x more money in WOW than in Eve.

big assumption.

yeah why should it? I doubt they spend 20x more money in WOW than in Eve.

swtor went f2p only cause of investors .. big investments, need big profit to return them right ..

wow had no investors, blizzard was developing the game and funding it ... so yea

Originally posted by nariusseldon Originally posted by Dogblaster Nah thanks .. success? Ask them if they would rather have 2M sub players .. I think they would. Sadly the game was not that good to maintan p2p status.
    It is all about budged right .. If they spent 10x more money developing swtor than developing EVE It also should have 10x more players playing it ;)

I wasn't aware the CCP published how much money they spent on Eve of it's nearly twelve years of development. I wasn't aware that Bioware published numbers detailing how much they spent on developing SWToR either.

Bioware did say prior to release that 500k subscriptions would make the game profitable. They now have 500k subscriptions. They also have people buying stuff from the cash shop. Is this the best case scenario? No. Is this the worst case scenario? No. This is a profitable scenario. Add to this the game was crashing, badly before the F2P transition and they pulled it out of a steep dive. After the announcement, EA's stock price rose by 8%. For EA, this is a "win". It also vindicates what they were saying about the payment models prior to the F2P transition, that F2P was a better model for the game. It turns out they were right.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    500k subs with a cash shop?
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Originally posted by Precusor

All the themepark MMOs are doing it.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

They have 1.7 million people who aren't paying subs too. Those people have a cash shop, why would you deny that opportunity to the subscription players? Are you subscriptionist?

Actually, while they have the option to spend even more money in the cash shop, their subscription gives them cash shop coin that they can use in the cash shop to buy stuff, in addition to having all the F2P restrictions removed.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by anemo

Very true.. but Swtor with 500k subs is pretty amazing considering how it gets trashed all the time.

Originally posted by anemo

Very true.. but Swtor with 500k subs is pretty amazing considering how it gets trashed all the time.

I think they also touted being the second biggest sub game in the US. Pretty good for a "failure". I wonder where are all the "successes" (except wow, of course).

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

big assumption.

assumption ? In the numbers or theory? .. If in the numbers, well everyone knows that swtor had the biggest mmorpg budget yet and if in the theory .. that is not assumption, thats the truth.

Nice switch you did there with the "truth" of the swtor budget.  While the budget was high the BS is your overall math. 10 times the budget mean 10 times the players.  You need to rephrase it to something like it needs 10 times the number to break even if that's what you meant.  Or you might have just been pointing out the costs have gone up in the years. Or something else.  You writing was kind of off.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I saw this yesterday and I have to admit that this news has hit me pretty hard.

It's not that I want them to fail - far from it.  But with a result this dramatic, I find it hard to believe that any major publisher is going to be able to resist the siren call of cash shops.

So I'm pretty demoralized at the moment, wondering how much longer I will have this hobby left.

Originally posted by maplestone

I saw this yesterday and I have to admit that this news has hit me pretty hard.

It's not that I want them to fail - far from it.  But with a result this dramatic, I find it hard to believe that any major publisher is going to be able to resist the siren call of cash shops.

So I'm pretty demoralized at the moment, wondering how much longer I will have this hobby left.

Just embrace the future. F2P is great. Play part of games for free.

To be honest, i think TOR is a pretty bad game (combat is meh, and it is much better as a SP game) but if it paves the way for more F2P, at least it is contributing to my fun.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

*sigh*

I should have known better.  Nariusseldon, I don't know if you are intentionally trolling or are just so lost in the game of forum PvP that you can't resist an opportunity to kick someone when they are down.

Either way, you're just not worth it.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Robokapp

I wonder how many EVE fans exist outside EvE online vs how many SW fans exist outside SWTOR.

that might be where th double standard comes from: The bigger picture.

Double standard? 

Average game development of an MMO costs anywhere between 20-35 million. I highly doubt EvE went anywhere near that in their initial development costs. They could be considered a success because they didn't need 500k+ subs to turn a profit. 

SWTOR on the other hand said they NEEDED 500k subs and needed them for 5 years to start turning a profit. Just doing the numbers 14.99 a month equals 179.99 a year. 500,000 people that comes out to about 90million a  year. By 5 years thats about 450million. Not to mention box sales. So people that say "No SWTOR didn't cost that much", go read their own initial expectations and projections. They pretty much define it for you. I bet SWTOR cost about 500million with everything said and done, Voice Acting/Advertising etc. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo