Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: On the Radar for Summer

2»

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

The OP fails to mention that GamesCom blows all of those gaming conventions out of the water.   

As for the game, well the fact is we haven't seen much of anything and what leaks i've seen put the game in a poor light and just more of the same themepark bore fest we have had over the last few years. The animation were poor a year ago and they are even worse today to be frank.

The story mode is getting tired like all story mode MMO's..ie GW2-SWTOR.

I'm the chosen one along with 500k plus god knows how many other players, i would rather wake up as a nobody and build up my own story in the world. Then you have light fluffy PVP that is nothing but bragging rights, points and 1-2 mins back to the battle after being killed.

For me the game is going to be like any other linear, themepark mmo along the same lines as GW2 and swtor. Be honest, if it wasn't for the connection to TES this game would have the same pull as every other average mmo of the last three years.

Until EQN comes out  Wildstar or ArcheAge has more appeal for me.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by jtcgs

You know damn well they are going to go with P2P, these guys are stuck in the past and have shown no sign at all they have a grip on reality with either the MMO genre or fans of the IP they are using.

It will launch P2P, the game will sell around 2 million copies, hemorrage the players they thought were buying a TES game, then hemorrage the MMO players that jumped at a new MMO and found out that playing in a world split into three and being funneled into PvP content is worse than they thought it would be. Then youll see a backlash on gaming forums against DaoC diehards about how nuts they are raving on about it for so long.

After 8 months to a year and at least one dev crew firing, the game will announce its going F2P, they will do a half assed job of it, lose more players, the CEO of Zenimax will be forced out and the diehards that stick around and keep playing will bitch up a storm about the F2P model while still being happy that they game was saved from a quick death just so they could get a chance to try to relive the past glories of hand held developer led DaoC style PvP.

sadly I agree.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    "hand held developer led pvp"

Gw2?
    Savage
    Wildstar looks more like swtor than TESO.

Both are wow in space for a start.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    It wil be Swtor 2.0.   Not type of game that will be able to hold on to P2P model.
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by eric_w66
    The letters "DAOC" are enough to sour any good vibe coming from this game. That, and 'AvA'. When you focus on PvP to keep people playing, the PvE game(s) I know and love falls to the wayside.

For you, maybe.

I spent a long, happy time in DAoC.  The RvR aspect was a part of what that game was about, not its entirety.  There was a robust crafting system as well as a very large PvE world to level in and explore.

Everyone has to choose their reasons to play, or to give it a pass.  However, if you don't like the way the game sounds and have no intention to play, then why "sour" this thread with non-constructive comments?

I'm looking forward to Open Beta.  That will give me first hand experience of what the game is actually like, rather than relying on the comments of others for information.

Agreed. The Devs have made it clear that the focus of endgame content on release will be Cyrodiil and they are leaving out other stuff in order to make sure Cyrodiil works. People need to accept that and either get excited for the game because of that, or move on to another game if you want something else. Stop trying to make a game something other than what it is.

maybe you would like to take your own advice?

Specifically, I asked Sage to describe ZeniMax's strategy for keeping players occupied once they hit the level cap at 50. His reply included four main activities: questing in enemy alliance zones, four-player dungeons, adventure zones, and the PvP alliance war in Cyrodiil. Read on for all of the details I gleaned from the interview!

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/19/the-elder-scrolls-online-interview-paul-sage/

the game's endgame focus is not Cyrodiil for those people who don't care for pvp. The cyrodiil game play is one "pillar" for Elder Scroll's' online's end game.

That's because they haven't made just "one" end game but have taken into account people who play differently/want different things. So for instance this quote:

In ESO, you choose one of three alliances, each with different zones, quests, and stories to explore. Once you hit level 50, you can choose to journey to another alliance's territory and experience a more difficult (and rewarding) version of those areas. After you complete the story within in the second alliance, you can travel to the third faction and complete the content there.

According to Sage, this content is the endgame for a solo player or someone who plays with just a friend or two.

refers to a specific end game just for solo players which is not the Cyrodiil pvp game.

or...

The endgame for a small group of friends can be the instanced dungeons found in the world.

So again, they have taken into account different types of players who want different types of things.

and of course there is the rest of the article.

I agree, anyone who say's the main end game is Cyrodiil hasn't been listening to the devs. Fact is their is more PVE than PVP so far in the game.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Savage
    Wildstar looks more like swtor than TESO.

Both are wow in space for a start.

Pretty sure swtor doesn't have housing, perhaps you can set me right on this?

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165

You know damn well they are going to go with P2P, these guys are stuck in the past and have shown no sign at all they have a grip on reality with either the MMO genre or fans of the IP they are using.

It will launch P2P, the game will sell around 2 million copies, hemorrage the players they thought were buying a TES game, then hemorrage the MMO players that jumped at a new MMO and found out that playing in a world split into three and being funneled into PvP content is worse than they thought it would be. Then youll see a backlash on gaming forums against DaoC diehards about how nuts they are raving on about it for so long.

After 8 months to a year and at least one dev crew firing, the game will announce its going F2P, they will do a half assed job of it, lose more players, the CEO of Zenimax will be forced out and the diehards that stick around and keep playing will bitch up a storm about the F2P model while still being happy that they game was saved from a quick death just so they could get a chance to try to relive the past glories of hand held developer led DaoC style PvP.

sadly I agree.

With the details we have been given so far about the game, I'm going to have to agree also. I hope not, I love TES, but we will have to wait and see. Maybe that's why they are hesitant to give many details so close to release, they want to make sure they milk as many box sales as possible? 

Savage
    Well they are always wow clones with a gimmick
    Swtor - story
    Rift - rifts
    Wildstar - INSTANCED housing

I do hope you haven't fallen for their liberal use of "sandbox" as a buzz word.
  • toshiyougantoshiyougan Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by bazinga

An Elder Scrolls game is :

1.Open world.

2.Can do whatever you want (fu skyrim fans, forever morrowind)

3.Adventure.

4.PvE.

5.Questing.

The elder Scrolls Online will be:

1.PvP.

2.Closed world.

3.?!?

And all they had to do is add multiplayer to an Elder Scrolls game :)

That's all they had to do.

It's sad that Bathesda allowed that group of hemoroids to screw this one up.

Have fun PvP cock suckers :)

skipping over the insulting part, it's sad i have to agree here.

TES games have always bin so fun because there is so much to do and players don't bother you all the time, if TESO basically becomes a PvP games then what part of TES can we see back in TESO?

when i play skyrim i love to do quests and adventures, not to enter an area and be killed by an ignorant player who loves to ruin it for others.

Which you can do in TESO.

It's not darkfall
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    It is time for info. Fans need it, between leaks and fan speculation, it has caused to much damage on the hype of the game. We need some hard cold facts.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    It is time for info. Fans need it, between leaks and fan speculation, it has caused to much damage on the hype of the game. We need some hard cold facts.

As much as I'd like to see more info, I can understand why they're holding back. Until things are all totally finalized and the game is near release, anything can and will change. If they say something now it may backfire later if it's not exactly as they said it would be.

They should have given LESS info.

Just announced it a month before release. Here it is take it or leave it.

Works for blizzard.

Perhaps future developers will learn from TESO and not launch year long hype campaigns, but I doubt it.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    They should have given LESS info.

Just announced it a month before release. Here it is take it or leave it.

Works for blizzard.

Perhaps future developers will learn from TESO and not launch year long hype campaigns, but I doubt it.

I agree. Hold off on releasing too much info until much later when it's safe to release it. Not to mention, hype tends to backfire long term because it makes people's expectations sky high and inevitably they get disappointed.

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by Pixel_Jockey

sadly I agree.

With the details we have been given so far about the game, I'm going to have to agree also. I hope not, I love TES, but we will have to wait and see. Maybe that's why they are hesitant to give many details so close to release, they want to make sure they milk as many box sales as possible? 

Sadly, I must agree as well. I look at it this way. They are taking an old game's model and putting it into a blender, shake it around, and recycled regurgitation. 

The only part of this game that is interesting is the potential marriage of PvP/PvE in cyrodil. The minimal UI. First-person view in MMO and what we have heard about crafting so far.

But the biggest chunk which is the leveling experience and the 3 faction zones seem to be the same old thing. First not having complete open world is a major killer...PERIOD. Literally nothing more to say. 

Every potential MMO developer should be looking at 1 thing and 1 thing only: "Take WoW's model to the next level". How?

1. Open World, complete ability to travel from one side of map to the other with no...repeat....NO load zones.

2. Use Megaserver technology and theory from now on. "But it will be too crowded? you say?" Well guess what maps and zones need to be about 3x bigger than what they are now in games...that will spread the population out nicely.  

3. Take the  crafting idea the ESO team has now and run with it....literally run into the stratosphere with that concept and dont look back and dont let money or dev time restrict it. 

4. PvP...well I've never played DAoC, but from what I have read and the nostalgia that DAoC players have and readily speak about shows there something "right" about that model. Take it and go 1 of 2 ways: either have the cyrodil zone and marry PvE questing and exploring in that zone with the PvP or full-open world PvP and have the whole map one giant cyrodil. Just make it so people have to flag PvP in order for them to be ganked. People who like to live on the edge, want some unforeseen excitement, or generally just want more immersion will be thrilled when doing a regular quest and then, "OMG, two guys coming out of nowhere, oh crap, where my guildmates at,  come help". Yet, people who dont wanna get ganked at level 6 by a level 33 can simply not flag PvP. Hell, can even set a bracket system where you have to be within like 5 levels of an opposing player in order to engage in PvP with them.

5. Have a plethora of ways to gain XP outside of dungeons, raids, or PvP. Alot of games now have already caught onto this. Arche Age is from what I'm reading the most comprehensive in this department.   

I mean I could keep outlining ways to come out with the most successful MMO and rest-assured WoW killer, but to shorten this up, basically...

Take the plethora of way to gain XP and just sheer amount of different things to do from WoW and Arche Age. Mix in the open world spontaneity rifts offered from Rift. Take the cyrodil/ megaserver/crafting/first person view/minimal UI concepts of ESO. Add in the voice acting/storytelling, along with the NPC rendering in real time of SWTOR . Bring in the action combat and active dodging of TERA. 

Do you see what I'm getting at? Each game takes a piece of what makes an MMO great and pushes it to the next level, but then its as if they get lazy on the other pieces and just leave them generic instead of pushing every single aspect and piece of what makes an MMO to the next level and beyond EQUALLY. 

That's just my 2 cents. I'm still crossing my fingers though for ESO and if it doesn't perform well enough then guess its off to wait for EQN and Titan.